PDA

View Full Version : Item shopping help

Giegue
2012-03-02, 09:09 AM
I am horrid at item shopping. Not because I don't know what would be good for my character, but because the number of items out there is so daunting and I don't own many item books. Thus, I am looking for your help. I'm going to be playing a level 7 refluffed as evil Conjurer Wizard/Malconvoker and I want to know what items I should look into that can be purchased using standard WBL? If you name an item, also, please, tell me the sourcebook since the massive ammount of books is part of what makes item shopping so difficult for me.

Keld Denar
2012-03-02, 09:42 AM
Here's a good starting point. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) I'd get something from the Short Range Teleporation category (unless you have Abrupt Jaunt) at the bare minimum.

Other than that, +Int, +resistance, +Con, a couple of metamagic rods (like Least Extend), and a few situational scrolls (like Knock). Oh, and a Healing Belt. Or 3.

prufock
2012-03-02, 10:01 AM
Other than that, +Int, +resistance, +Con, a couple of metamagic rods (like Least Extend), and a few situational scrolls (like Knock). Oh, and a Healing Belt. Or 3.

All but the Healing Belt are available in the DMG - no book-hopping necessary. Healing Belt is in magic item compendium. With just these 2 sources, you should be able to find pretty much anything you need. You could even substitute a wand of cure light wounds, then you only need the DMG - just buy one cross class rank in UMD and use it out of combat, rerolling as many times as necessary.

Luckily, as a spellcaster, you should already be able to use spells for many of the effects on the necessary items list linked above. You can fly, teleport, dispel magic, generate miss chance, summon things, and shore up your defenses already.

Giegue
2012-03-02, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all the help, also, beyond knock, what other scrolls do you guys think would be good to pick up? Also, are there any items that give + con or + resistance that are cheap to aquire?

Keld Denar
2012-03-02, 04:55 PM
Con is 4000/16000/32000 for +2/+4/+6 respectively. Resistance is 1000 * (bonus)^2. You can pick up cheap resistances to single saves as armor enhancements in the MIC, but you are generally best off buffing all 3.

Utility spells are great for scrolls. Remove Blindness/Deafness, for example. Look for spells that don't have saves and aren't very Caster Level dependant. Those are good ones. If you think you might cast it a lot, however, it might be better as a wand, or even a spell known.