PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Exchange Student [PF]

ExemplarofAvg
2012-03-02, 09:39 AM
So one of my players and I were talking today, his character has been slowly debilitating (He tried to do too many things at once with the character, a mistake which he realizes now) but he feels as the levels go higher he will become more of a liability. So he said he's going to have a wizard waiting in the wings in case this happens. Then we got into what he wanted his character to do and he started talking about the school powers (namely Evocation) He really likes the powers of the Generation Sub-School, and the Admixture Sub-School, (so I guess phooey to the base Evocation powers) The only issue is to allow both would allow four powers at 8th level. (As opposed to the standard three) Now I am interested to see what he will do with these so I'm not against it but if all four are just allowed his evocations are instant change-able, longer lasting, as well as having a wind blast and the ability to alter elements he is not creating... (I think he may be creating the Avatar, :smalltongue:)

So I was wondering if I created some feat along these lines:

Arcane Exchange Student
Prerequisites: Caster Level 1st, Knowledge (Arcane) 4 ranks
Benefit: You gain the ability to use one of the first level wizard school powers.
Special: The Power chosen can not come from one of your forbidden schools.

Would that maybe make it a bit more balanced. Thoughts? Experiences?

Volos
2012-03-02, 11:03 AM
Since both the Focused Arcane Schools Admixture and Generation replace the force missile power of the Evocation School, they are mutually exclusive. I'm not even sure if you can take two focused schools at the same time, but even if you could I would assume they use the same rules as the class achetypes; namely being unable to replace the same class feature twice. Your homebrew feat seems interesting, but somewhat underpowered for a feat. If your player is looking for a more elemental focused character, perhaps point him toward the elemental schools in Ultimate Magic (also avaliable online for free over at Pazio > http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/)

RndmNumGen
2012-03-02, 12:23 PM
Arcane Exchange Student
Prerequisites: Caster Level 1st, Knowledge (Arcane) 4 ranks
Benefit: You gain the ability to use one of the first level wizard school powers.
Special: The Power chosen can not come from one of your forbidden schools.

Why do you have to be 4th level to get access to a 1st level school power?

Novawurmson
2012-03-02, 12:29 PM
I've been considering homebrewing a similar line of feats, a la Eldritch Heritage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/eldritch-heritage). To make the requirement line up, I would say: Int 13, Spell Focus in the school you're taking it in, character level 3rd.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-03-02, 04:02 PM
Why do you have to be 4th level to get access to a 1st level school power?

because the sorcerer ability requires 3rd level.

I've been considering homebrewing a similar line of feats, a la Eldritch Heritage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/eldritch-heritage). To make the requirement line up, I would say: Int 13, Spell Focus in the school you're taking it in, character level 3rd.

Hmm, I do like that better. Mind if I steal it?

ExemplarofAvg
2012-03-02, 04:03 PM
Since both the Focused Arcane Schools Admixture and Generation replace the force missile power of the Evocation School, they are mutually exclusive. I'm not even sure if you can take two focused schools at the same time, but even if you could I would assume they use the same rules as the class achetypes; namely being unable to replace the same class feature twice. Your homebrew feat seems interesting, but somewhat underpowered for a feat. If your player is looking for a more elemental focused character, perhaps point him toward the elemental schools in Ultimate Magic (also avaliable online for free over at Pazio > http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/)

That's why I'm looking at the feat option, because both replace force missile. And he's not looking for elements so much as those abilities and the ability to swap elements when needed.