PDA

View Full Version : Extracting information from a suspect?

TheCIASentMe
2012-03-02, 10:41 AM
So here's the situation: I'm in an Eberron campaign where we might be able to capture one of the big bad evil guys that has been plaguing us. We aren't quite certain what the BBEG's level is but it's safe to say it's above 9. I'm a 9th level Lawful Evil killer gnome build illusionist (Evocation and Enchantment are my denied schools).

I need to extract information from this individual in a timely manner. I'll have less than a week before I can expect a retaliation to occur. I really won't have assistance (I can't trust them not to turn on me) from the rest of the party in this but we've got a sorcerer and an archivist in the party as well if that helps.

My party knows in theory the names of the BBEGs but what we don't know is where they are or how they're relating to one another. We know they've been competing and opposing one another but we're not quite certain who's on who's side other than a couple.

What's the best way for me to extract the information I need? Several ideas have occurred to me such as lesser planar binding a succubus and using that to level drain so his saves are lower then detecting thoughts while I interrogate him, but that might not get me all the information I need. Another idea would be to dominate him but I can't cast the spell myself so I'd have to find a workaround.

Any ideas?

hymer
2012-03-02, 10:44 AM
Something as simple as Dominate Person may well do the trick, depending on your DM's interpretation.

Lapak
2012-03-02, 10:49 AM
Step One: Buy a wand of Charm Person.

Step Two: Use the wand on him, preferably from a position where he can't see you. Burn through all 50 charges if necessary; if he's your prisoner he's bound to fail a save eventually.

Step Three: 'Rescue' him and talk about his plans. He's now your ally, so he shouldn't mind bringing you up to date on how to succeed at his goals / foil his rivals.

TheCIASentMe
2012-03-02, 10:53 AM
Step One: Buy a wand of Charm Person.

Step Two: Use the wand on him, preferably from a position where he can't see you. Burn through all 50 charges if necessary; if he's your prisoner he's bound to fail a save eventually.

Step Three: 'Rescue' him and talk about his plans. He's now your ally, so he shouldn't mind bringing you up to date on how to succeed at his goals / foil his rivals.

Problem with Charm, this guy might be in league with Vol. So simply talking about the plans might violate the "An affected creature never obeys suicidal or obviously harmful orders" rule of Charm.

Edit: That being said, a wand of charm would be cheap enough to just give it a try and see if it works.

Flickerdart
2012-03-02, 11:04 AM
Just off him and get someone to Speak with Dead.

hymer
2012-03-02, 11:10 AM
Take him prisoner first, if you go with charm person. If you make a Will save, you feel a tingling. He's unlikely to stand around for all fifty charges.

TheCIASentMe
2012-03-02, 11:10 AM
Speak with dead: "Answers are usually brief, cryptic, or repetitive." DM would abuse the hell out of this.

I think I should point out that the DM does not volunteer information to the party. We basically have to pry info out of the situation using the most crafty means possible. Hell, one of the PCs took the leadership feat in order to have his own spies.

Averis Vol
2012-03-02, 11:16 AM
Take off the tiny gnome gloves and do this the old fashion way. shatter his legs with a crowbar, then get a means of healing and heal his legs wrong. so they're bent all out of shape.

if that doesn't work grab a pair of calipers and lift his finger nails. then insert wooden slivers under them. again proceed to heal him up disfigured and all.

if he's still defiant you could remove his eye lashes, this not only hurts and leaves his eyes incredibly dry it also forces him to watch you torture him.

if at this point he still wont talk just wail on him for a bit. don't let him and deprive him of food and water, only give him enough to keep him alive. once his mind is frazzled and his body destroyed he shouldn't be in any position to keep defying you.

PS: i am absolutely not insane, i just watch a lot of horror movies.

Telonius
2012-03-02, 11:31 AM
You're an illusionist. Use it.

Knock him out. When he wakes up, you look and sound like someone you know is a close associate of his, in a non-descript "safehouse" type room, with him in chains. Tell him that it took some doing, but you've been rescued. Take your cues from his reactions, but make it clear that "the others" are going to want to see him, but might want to send a couple of their friends by first. If he slips up and gives hints as to who the others are, great. Otherwise, proceed. "They say they don't want you to see where we're taking you. Sorry I gotta do this." Knock him out again. A couple minutes later, you now look like the additional suspected BBEG. Wait to see his reaction, and let him do the talking. If he's egotistical enough, you should be able to get plenty.

TheCIASentMe
2012-03-02, 11:40 AM
You're an illusionist. Use it.

Knock him out. When he wakes up, you look and sound like someone you know is a close associate of his, in a non-descript "safehouse" type room, with him in chains. Tell him that it took some doing, but you've been rescued. Take your cues from his reactions, but make it clear that "the others" are going to want to see him, but might want to send a couple of their friends by first. If he slips up and gives hints as to who the others are, great. Otherwise, proceed. "They say they don't want you to see where we're taking you. Sorry I gotta do this." Knock him out again. A couple minutes later, you now look like the additional suspected BBEG. Wait to see his reaction, and let him do the talking. If he's egotistical enough, you should be able to get plenty.

I like this idea. If nothing else it's a safe starter idea which, if it goes wrong, leads into the other ideas. Thank you.

Pilo
2012-03-02, 12:10 PM
Torture is not a solution, tortured people lie to get ride of the torturer.
You can weak him with Enervation ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enervation.htm ), then use detect thoughs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectThoughts.htm) to check if he is trying to lie.

Averis Vol
2012-03-02, 01:10 PM
ehh tortures always worked for me, he tells you something, you keep him locked up until you find out if its true or not. if it is true, kill him. if it isn't, beat him some more.

Quirp
2012-03-02, 02:12 PM
Since you havenīt banned transmutation you could use Crystalline Memories (CM) to read hsi thoughts. It is mind-affecting, but might still work (and only a second level spell).