PDA

View Full Version : Lobbling (3.5 player race, PEACH)

Nada Rakshasa
2012-03-02, 11:53 AM
While working on a completely different project I was struck by the impulse to attempt to build the lobbling race. They're a small race of monstrous humanoids with arachnid traits. I haven't worked out their fluff just yet, but I imagine them as a community oriented culture with small villages built in tree canopies or in hard-to-reach hollows in caves.

LOBBLING
+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma: Lobblings are quick, but not particularly endearing.
Monstrous Humanoid: Lobblings are monstrous humanoids, and are therefore immune to spells that only affect humanoids, such as charm person.
Small: As a Small creature, a lobbling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks. However, he must use smaller weapons than a human does, and his lifting aCnd carrying limits are three-quarters of those of Medium characters.
Speed: A lobbling's base speed is 30 feet, and his climb speed is 20 feet. He gains a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and may take 10 on any Climb check. The hooks on his palms and feet enable him to climb up walls and across ceilings, as if under the effect of a spider climb spell.
Darkvision: Lobblings can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and lobblings can function just fine with no light at all.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells and spell-like effects.
Weapon Proficiency: Lobblings are automatically proficient with the net. A lobbling can fold a net with a move action.
Natural Weapons: Bite (1d4).
Poison: Lobblings’ poison attacks the victim’s muscles and is delivered by bite. Injury, Fortitude, initial and secondary damage 1d3 Strength. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +2 racial bonus (DC 10 + ½ HD + Con modifier).
Skills: +2 Move Silently, +2 Spot. Lobblings use either their Strength or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher.
Automatic Languages: Undercommon, Common. Bonus Languages: elven, gnome, goblin, sylvan.
Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass lobbling’s rogue class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
Level Adjustment: +0

Questions? Comments?

Yitzi
2012-03-02, 12:35 PM
Pretty strong for an LA +0 race.

Nada Rakshasa
2012-03-02, 03:38 PM
Hmm... I wondered if they might be a little potent for LA +0 (although they feel a little less busy/bonus laden than, say, dwarves Or gnomes). But you feel that they're closer to LA +1? If so, 'whisper gnome' close or 'catfolk' close?

Xechon
2012-03-02, 10:14 PM
Yeah, a bit strong for LA +0. Dwarves and gnomes can have so many features because they are so specific (only against Giant type, etc.), and gnomes just have a few extra tricks because they are small. This, however, just as the race would be a low-level caster killer. The poison may seem small, but it adds up, +2 saves vs mind control and monsterous humanoid for no hold person, there goes the caster's defense against you, and then the spider-climb with climb speed, +2 to 4 skills (not mentioning +8 to climb), and then throwing on darkvision, one would simply have to douse their torches and start nibbling away on the fragile skin of a wizard. The net prof isn't a big deal, but could be useful for the same purpose. LA 1, high-ish end I'd say, as it wouldn't matter too much at higher levels.

If you want it LA 0, pretty much take out any 2 and you should be fine.

Nada Rakshasa
2012-03-03, 12:55 AM
Hmm. Fair enough. When you put it that way, they do sound quite threatening at early levels...

I've removed a couple of the skill bonuses. The creature type and poison I'd like to keep.

Also, I did enjoy the way you described them dismantling a caster. Brightened an otherwise fairly dull gaming session. Thanks for the insights.