PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence based Bard?

Eonir
2012-03-02, 12:50 PM
Is there a feat/ACF/racial substitution levels, that makes the bard and int based caster BESIDES the Bardic Sage variant in UA?

Cog
2012-03-02, 01:32 PM
Is there a feat/ACF/racial substitution levels, that makes the bard and int based caster BESIDES the Bardic Sage variant in UA?
The UA Prestige Bard is a variant bard that keeps whatever casting you used for entry; Int based in the case of a Wizard, for example.

Eonir
2012-03-02, 01:45 PM
Ok. I don't think our DM will let us use the prestigious characters (-_-), but thanks anyways!

tuesdayscoming
2012-03-02, 01:59 PM
You might look into the Divine Bard variant and then pick up, if allowed, Academic Priest from the Dragonlance books.

That should work, IIRC, to get your bonus spells off of Int. Doesn't affect your Save DCs though, unfortunately...

Coidzor
2012-03-02, 02:28 PM
Dragon Magazine 314 has the Heartfire Fanner (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9830), if Dragon Mag material's more palatable to your DM. Unlikely, but it is what it is.

FMArthur
2012-03-02, 04:11 PM
Some aspects of the Bard class are similar to the Beguiler in PHII. It's a castery skillmonkey with lots of illusion and enchantment spells. It's nowhere near as good at buffing and melee though.

gorfnab
2012-03-02, 05:35 PM
Some aspects of the Bard class are similar to the Beguiler in PHII. It's a castery skillmonkey with lots of illusion and enchantment spells. It's nowhere near as good at buffing and melee though.
You could combine the two, sort of. The feat Apprentice: Entertainer (DMG) gives you Perform as a class skill. With this you could do something like Beguiler 7/ Heartfire Fanner X/ Virtuoso X.

IdleMuse
2012-03-02, 07:38 PM
The feat Apprentice: Entertainer (DMG) gives you Perform as a class skill.

Aereni Focus (FRCS I think?) does the same thing as well as giving you Skill Focus, with the downside of being an elf (although there are plenty of high-int elf subraces)

FMArthur
2012-03-02, 07:58 PM
You also must be an elf of that particular region. It's very conditional.
Does anyone else REALLY despise the entire concept of region-exclusive features? Not being from the right area might make it difficult due to its features and proclivities, but it should never be literally impossible for someone on the outside to have acquired from a different source something which amounts to just training and skillsets. It's a roleplaying choker and absolutely nothing else.

Coidzor
2012-03-02, 09:52 PM
Aereni Focus is from Players Guide to Eberron, I believe.

FMArthur: Yep. Hate the practice, really.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-03-02, 10:16 PM
My memory is a little hazy, but I want to say Knowledge: Local Region 2 lets a character qualify for regional feats as if he was from said region. That may only apply to the FR ones, and maybe even only the ones from UE, but there is at least some small work around.