PDA

View Full Version : Requesting help from all you TOB disciples

King Atticus
2012-03-02, 07:09 PM
Is there a way to learn a maneuver (preferably one you can use multiple times per encounter) without taking any initiator levels? I'm looking for a way to fit in the feat Instant Clarity into a build strictly for the ability to focus as a swift action.

Or barring that, does anyone know a way to get around using a full round action to Psionically Focus?

Thanks in advance for the help

Zaq
2012-03-02, 07:11 PM
Martial Study will get you a maneuver, but you need initiator class levels to recover it.

There's always Psionic Meditation to focus as a move action.

Vortling
2012-03-02, 07:12 PM
Probably swordsaged but Psychic Meditation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psionicMeditation) gets around the full round action requirement for becoming psionically focused

Zaranthan
2012-03-02, 07:13 PM
Martial Study is a feat: no pre-reqs, learn one maneuver. Remember that non-martial adept classes still gain 1/2 initiator level. Trouble with this method is the feat doesn't grant a recovery mechanic, you're far better off taking one level of warblade or crusader.

As for psionic focus, spend a feat, focus as a move action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psionicMeditation).

King Atticus
2012-03-02, 07:14 PM
Psionic Meditation fits the build a little better anyway. Thanks for the quick response.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-02, 07:14 PM
Blowing a pair of feats can get you the ability to store a focus in your psicrystal.

If that's at ALL relevant.

Godskook
2012-03-02, 07:36 PM
Psionic Meditation fits the build a little better anyway. Thanks for the quick response.

In addition, a belt of battle(MiC) gives you a move for your swift, effectively letting you focus as a psuedo-swift action. Buy as many as you want/need to last all day.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-02, 07:54 PM
Net Cost: 3 powerpoints, 1 Swift Action, no set daily limit.
Net Gain: Psionic Focus regained.

Manifest Hustle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/hustle.htm), spend a Swift Action to gain a Move Action. Spend the gained Move Action to regain your psionic focus thanks to Psionic Meditation. Take Expanded Knowledge to gain it as a 2nd level power if you're not a Psychic Warrior.

Compare that to Instant Clarity's 3/day limit, and I'd say you're better off with this. Be sure to get a Torc of Power Preservation (XPH version if possible).

FMArthur
2012-03-02, 10:01 PM
You can also just get the maneuver items from different disciplines. The cheap option is 3000gp for access to a maneuver of 1st-3rd level as you qualify for it. Get three different ones from multiple disciplines (since they each occupy separate body slots) and you'll be able to initiate 3 strikes in one battle to use up your uses per day of Instant Clarity.

If you really want multiple maneuvers from the same discipline (they still have to be different ones) you can add one to another for 4500gp as per MIC's rules on combining magic items (new effect costs 1.5x price unless it's more expensive than the existing item, in which case you add half the item's previous price to the modification instead).

I do recommend the Hustle option over this, but I'm just throwing down some information if you really want a 'partial adept' and wanna do it efficiently.

King Atticus
2012-03-02, 10:04 PM
You can also just get the maneuver items from different disciplines. The cheap option is 3000gp for access to a maneuver of 1st-3rd level as you qualify for it. Get three different ones from multiple disciplines (since they each occupy separate body slots) and you'll be able to initiate 3 strikes in one battle to use up your uses per day of Instant Clarity.

If you really want multiple maneuvers from the same discipline (they still have to be different ones) you can add one to another for 4500gp as per MIC's rules on combining magic items (new effect costs 1.5x price unless it's more expensive than the existing item, in which case you add half the item's previous price to the modification instead).

I was looking at this but it says you have to meet the prerecs and I wasn't sure if you did sans initiator levels.

FMArthur
2012-03-02, 10:06 PM
The description says they were deliberately made to give non-martial adepts access to maneuvers. The initiator level of a character with no martial adept levels is just half your level. Half of that, rounded up, is your highest level maneuver.

Edit: Wait no, the description just mentions that it can be used by either. It's the sidebar on the next page that explains that they were specifically designed to be given to non-martial characters. Either should suffice.