PDA

View Full Version : DM Help: Destructive Characters [Rifts]

ThatQuietGuy
2012-03-02, 07:57 PM
So I recently started DMing (GMing?) a Rifts campaign, specifically Three Galaxies, and almost immediately after character creation developed something of a problem. Between rail guns, dragon's breath, and pyrokinesis, my party has so far responded to every single threat with "let's try to burn the city to the ground." MD fire spreads pretty rapidly through dense, urban, SDC buildings.

The most recent two encounters involved them getting ambushed by gunmen in buildings nearby. The gunmen are members of a faction trying to recapture something they falsely believe the PCs have stolen. They did manage to capture one of them and "interrogate" him, but when they didn't immediately get any information out of him with threats of bodily injury, they shot him point-blank in the head.

As it is, I've explained to them both in-character through use of NPCs and out-of-character as the DM that there are plenty of other options, but every time they all seem in agreement that they had no other choice but to immediately attack with the full force of their not inconsiderable power, often shooting blindly, at the first sign of danger.

So is there a way to save this? I'm trying not to pull off some Deus ex Machina to curb the ultradestructive behavior, but I don't know how long this can keep up before I can no longer argue away the authorities trying to kill them. So far, they've killed significantly more civilians (a fact that they likely haven't considered) than enemies, which is made worse by the fact that if they just talked to the right people, said enemies could pretty easily become allies.

jindra34
2012-03-02, 08:13 PM
Have someone use OVERWHELMING fire power on them? If they want to play max power rocket tag of doom go ahead and play.
Or as you stated have the authorities make them a priority removal target, and play them logically. Which given the PCs history of responding with massive firepower means either extreme range or a heavy assault ambush. But lead first with some info so it doesn't seem completely random.

Another or is to put them in a situation where destroying everything down range is counter productive, like a rescue or recovery. But no matter what you do play up the ramifications of their reputation. That might get the message across.

Particle_Man
2012-03-03, 10:57 AM
Depending on their alignment, hostages? Armour-of-babies style hostages?

LibraryOgre
2012-03-03, 12:17 PM
Rifts can get out of control fast. If they're nuking everything, they're going to attract attention from those who disagree with genocidal maniacs running about loose.

Groups like the Cosmo-Knights. Or the CAF. The kind of groups that register their displeasure with dreadnaughts.

If you don't want to use the "bigger hammer" technique, make them fall behind because they destroyed clues in their orgy of destruction. "Oops, the fire destroyed the data crystal that would tell you where they're going next. Looks like you won't be able to get ahead of them."

Tiki Snakes
2012-03-03, 12:47 PM
They tend to spray wildly at the first sign of Danger? Use more Civilian bystanders, and explosive scenary.

If they are happy slaughtering bystanders or aren't worried that the building they're in might explode (killing them) if they aren't careful then you know a little bit more about your players (or at least the characters they are playing).

Beelzebub1111
2012-03-03, 07:50 PM
Vampires.
They don't care how much mega damage you throw at them, they will WRECK YOU!

Also, Random destruction of cities attracts Ire from those who control those cities.

Telok
2012-03-04, 03:07 AM
1) Old nuclear power plants, oil refineries, a fight at the base of the Hoover Dam or the ground floor of a skyscraper.

2) Collateral damage. Dead, burned, or irradiated children work well for this. Survivors may post bounties on the characters.

3) The response to automatic weapons fire in RL is SWAT teams and snipers. Local law enforcement and vigilantes may be willing to shoot through unoccupied buildings at the characters. In a world of rampaging MDC monsters the locals may be willing to fill a bait filled basement with explosives and remote detonators while having the local fire suppression squad wait around the corner.

Beelzebub1111
2012-03-04, 05:32 AM
Also, you have magic users and at least one DB causing wanton destruction of property. The CS would be SO on their asses. See how they handle some Coalition Mega Juicers or Titan Juicers. Or better yet, Mechs.

Or to go one step further, I doubt Quebec would be too happy with their actions. Steer them towards the great white north and give them a glittering French-Canadian lesson in precision strikes.

ThatQuietGuy
2012-03-04, 06:16 AM
Might see what I can do with these ideas if I get a chance. In their first fight, they were fortunately in a MD environment (it made sense in my head that as much as possible of a space station would be MD just because things like fire breaking out have much bigger consequences than they would planetside), and they got out as quickly as they could afterward. The second fight happened on the lower levels of Center, where law enforcement isn't really a big concern, but they've definitely drawn the attention of the Prometheans as well as some of the bigger, badder bosses on Phase World. Bounties are certainly not out of the question, which is further going to upset their employer.

Of course, I also found out yesterday that one my players is being voluntold to switch shifts at work and not likely to be playing past one more session, considering he and I will not have a day off at the same time for at least another three months. Another player leaves for boot camp in a few weeks. We'd planned to play without him, but losing a second might just bring the whole campaign crashing down in less than a month. *sigh* The joys of DMing games that are doomed from the start by unforeseen circumstances...