PDA

View Full Version : A new Girard thought in need of development

SavageWombat
2012-03-02, 08:21 PM
So it occurred to me today that we don't know how most of the Order of the Scribble got involved in the plot. We know about Soon and Lirian, but that's all.

And since we're discussing it, it made me think about the reason for the Soon / Girard antagonism. I wonder if the two are connected?

What if Girard and his dragon family, for example, discovered one of the rifts and went looking for info? And when the trail led back to the area in question, Soon found out about poor paranoid Girard's secret ancestry and reacted, say, about as well as Miko would have.

I'd certainly hold an attack on my grandmother against someone, even a LG paladin.

Does this give anyone else twisted ideas?

ThePhantasm
2012-03-02, 08:27 PM
I guess anything is possible, but from what we know Soon and Girard just clashed because of a) different worldviews (people with different life philosophies can clash) and b) whatever happened to Kraagor (Girard blames Soon for this for some reason). Those two things would be sufficient to drive a rift between them.

Plus, I'm not sure that we have any indication that Soon would act like Miko in any given situation.

NerfTW
2012-03-02, 08:31 PM
So it occurred to me today that we don't know how most of the Order of the Scribble got involved in the plot. We know about Soon and Lirian, but that's all.

And since we're discussing it, it made me think about the reason for the Soon / Girard antagonism. I wonder if the two are connected?

What if Girard and his dragon family, for example, discovered one of the rifts and went looking for info? And when the trail led back to the area in question, Soon found out about poor paranoid Girard's secret ancestry and reacted, say, about as well as Miko would have.

I'd certainly hold an attack on my grandmother against someone, even a LG paladin.

Does this give anyone else twisted ideas?

Eh, I think that makes the plot LESS deep, actually. Two people working for a common goal and having vastly different ideas about how to achieve it to the point of absolute hatred? Interesting.

Two people working for a common goal and ending up hating each other because of petty revenge? So clichéd that a third grader just learning to read would roll their eyes.

Andrew Stevens
2012-03-03, 02:58 AM
Don't need an attack on Girard's grandmother though, do we? Just learning about Girard's ancestry is probably sufficient to raise tensions. Given the way Soon's paladins treat goblins, it's probably fair to say that Soon was rather skeptical of generally evil creatures such as black dragons. So Soon regards Girard's ancestry as a taint and Girard regards Soon as a racist.

Connington
2012-03-03, 03:10 AM
So Soon regards Girard's ancestry as a taint and Girard regards Soon as a racist.

It's not a horrible theory, except we already (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0694.html) know (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0695.html) what Girard thinks of Soon. If we list his insults and attacks in order, we have:

1. Soon is a fascist, and has raised an army of lackeys.
2. Soon is illogical. Also, Girard is a bigot about worshipers of Southern Gods.
3. Soon is a backstabber, corrupted by his own power.
4. Soon excuses his own immoral actions by pleading that the "greater good" requires it.
5. Again, Soon's Sapphire Guard are nothing but a gang of thugs.
6. Soon's a naive idiot.
7. Soon would break his own sworn word in less than three months.
8. Soon is a coward.
9. Soon should have died instead of Kragor.
10. Hey, Girard's bigoted against worshippers of the Southern Gods (again)!

If Girard felt that Soon had wronged his family, or even expressed unfair prejudice against him, that would have been the time to get it off his chest.

Andrew Stevens
2012-03-03, 02:35 PM
I agree that his long rant definitely excludes, say, an attack by Soon on his grandmother, which would surely have been mentioned. And you're probably right that he would have said racist as well as fascist if my theory was right.

Andrew Stevens
2012-03-03, 02:42 PM
I agree that his long rant definitely excludes, say, an attack by Soon on his grandmother, which would surely have been mentioned. And you're probably right that he would have said racist as well as fascist if my theory was right.

Kish
2012-03-03, 02:43 PM
For that matter, Girard was laughing with the others about Kraagor's bar tab when they slaughtered the previous Bearer of the Crimson Mantle. It seems unlikely that his attitude toward goblins was significantly better than Soon's.