PDA

View Full Version : Best Beast Companion

A Ladder
2012-03-02, 10:17 PM
Looking at the Beastmaster Ranger and liking what I see in the beast companions as a tank.

If I chose to never attack with the beast companion (shooting arrows seems much more effective) Which beast companion do you guys think is the "best" for soaking up damage?
I was thinking Bear wasn't the top for a tank. They have the highest HP, and Fort, but have the lowest AC and lowest Ref of all the companions.

Due to the fact that most monsters target AC and then Ref the most in their attacks would the Bear fall behind his compatriots in the "I absorb more damage than you" region?

Does the Wolf or Lizard out-shine the Bear?
Wolf = medium AC and HP, medium Fort and Ref, and higher Will.
Lizard = Medium Hp, Highest AC, medium Fort and Ref, low Will.

Second question, which is the most common form of attack you guys have experienced? I.E. "attack" vs. AC (or Fort, Ref, Will).

Mandrake
2012-03-03, 02:47 AM
I like the idea generally, but I don't think it's... viable. (If that's the correct term).

Basically, without means for making enemies (which are not mindless or idiotic or w/e) attack your beast companion, he's just gonna stand about with them shifting around attacking other people (or you, if you're around).

So, I propose two solutions:
(1) Find a way to make your pet mark. Misdirecting Shot which is Bard's PHB2 at-will comes to mind. Any other means you know, go for it. If the pet is marking them, then they'll attack him. Otherwise, he looks like little threat. If you have this (marking for pet), and often, go for best AC/REF medium HP (namingly, Lizard or Serpent, other defenses also high.). That's just my opinion.
(2) The best "tanking" the pet will provide without a way to force enemies attacking him is using opportunity attacks. It's like this: "Look, a RANDOMPET! Well, he looks just like he stands there, since his master doesn't bother ordering issues. Lets just go around him. >BWAHM< (that was an opportunity attack)."
This way, he is a threat (so they might even consider wasting their breath on banging up Mr. Fluffles). And he actually gets to do some damage, AND you get your opportunity attack you otherwise wouldn't since you're in safe distance. If you go for this, pick Lizard, Serpent or Wolf, since they're the best opportunistic attackers. Bear is also good, because he can soak up AoE attacks (note that no one is otherwise targeting your companion) and he has nice Damage, but his attack bonus is feeble, and considering the bonuses for attack/damage these three get for opportunity attack, I think they outshine him. Personally, Lizard, to make him hit more often, but if you like damage... Whatever. :)

Also, I suggest you take at least one (any) power that you can use through Beast 1, because versatility is not just for Leaders/Controllers. If you can make it shine with allies, especially.
Hope this helps.

Tegu8788
2012-03-03, 10:00 AM
I agree with all said above. I'm currently playing a character with a fey beast tamer theme, and I grabbed an owlbear. I use him for his damage bonus, setting up flanking, and OAs. The only time I'd order him to attach us if I'm dazed, or action point to finish off an enemy. If you want to make a wall of fur to tank, pick up fey beast tamer theme and then MC shaman. Now you have three combat ready allies. Certainly more complicated, and does nothing to prevent a ranged attack from reaching you, but as most low level baddies are melee focused, having to get past any allies you have plus three pets will protect you some more.

Mandrake
2012-03-03, 04:02 PM
One more thing I remembered once leaving the house - MAX you Initiative (I know it technically isn't maxing it).

If you go first, give a move action to your pet to just go run in front of enemies before they act (Yo, Dawgs!), and use your imba 20/40 Longbow range of "Ha-ha, silly distant enemies" to tickle some spleens. This way, they must go around the pet, and those that can't reach you in the first round will to the best they can - attack it, making the pet the tank, obviously.

So, it looks like Improved Initiative to me. Of sorts. Or Battle Thingy for Devas in a Dragon magazine... something. If you like purple rangers. Since they don't exist in Power Rangers. Imma go now.

A Ladder
2012-03-03, 04:54 PM
That was my initial strategy of getting the pet in the front (For being the "first" target and maybe getting a swipe-by OA) and peppering the guys in back.

Now I just gotta see which feats to drop to make room for improved initiative.

Mandrake
2012-03-04, 03:34 AM
Try not to drop a feat.

There's a lot of ways for your Leaders to get an initiative reroll. So, when you go high they just wing with it. If you go low, they let you reroll. Try looking that up, I'm kinda out of sources, time and will.

cupkeyk
2012-03-06, 11:31 PM
For an archer, choose the raptor and get the ritual/feat that lets you ride your animal companion. Stay away from the baddies. This will work until early paragon for most baddies.

MeeposFire
2012-03-07, 12:33 AM
For an archer, choose the raptor and get the ritual/feat that lets you ride your animal companion. Stay away from the baddies. This will work until early paragon for most baddies.

Or just play a pixie ranger. They can just ride the raptor for fun.

DragonBaneDM
2012-03-07, 12:36 PM
Actually I was gonna suggest the raptor as well.

The Beast Ranger in my campaign uses him to great effect, sending his falcon out early in the fight so that he can quarry stuff in the back. It's got good defenses, and I've learned not to attack it because of the feat that lets him take a shot when I do so.

However, you're looking for a tank, not strategic positioning.