PDA

View Full Version : [4E-ish] Consolidating, codifying, and rebuilding the Classes.

Ialdabaoth
2012-03-02, 10:22 PM
So, this is one of those "heartbreaker" things.

That said, I really, really liked the 'Role' and 'Power Source' distinction that 4E made in the very beginning, and felt like that could have been taken into some awesome places.

Here's how I would have done it:

1. A "Class" is precisely the intersection between a 'Role' and a 'Power Source'; nothing more, nothing less.

2. There are five general 'Power Sources', and four general 'Roles'. Altogether, this makes 20 possible classes before we get into multi-classing shenanigans. They are:

The Martial Power Source - the Fighter
The Martial Striker - the Slayer
The Slayer focusses her martial prowess into raw, brutal combat, striving to be the best weapons-master the world has seen. Any opponent, any weapon, in any situation; none can match the Slayer for raw prowess with a blade or bow.

The Martial Defender - the Knight
The Knight focusses his martial prowess into defending others, standing fast against enemies that would slay a lesser man in a single blow. Frequently wearing heavy armor and a shield, the Knight's duty is to protect his charges.

The Martial Controller - the Scout
The Scout focusses his martial prowess into an unparalleled tactical acumen, knowing where to direct traps and ranged volleys where they will be the most
disruptive to the enemy's plans. Most often wielding bows or other long-ranged weapons, the Scout is also trained to infiltrate the enemy's lines, gathering information and reporting back without being seen.

The Martial Leader - the Warlord
The Warlord focusses her martial prowess into teamwork and leadership, guiding and protecting her allies with keen insight and encouragement. The Warlord does not neglect her own combat abilities, however - she is equally at home on foot or in the saddle, wielding bow or blade, wearing leather or maille.

The Cunning Power Source - the Rogue
The Cunning Striker - the Assassin
The Assassin focusses their cunning prowess into slaying the unaware. Striking from shadow, the Assassin is the master of the surprise attack. With stealth, with poison, and with an unparalleled understanding of where and how to strike to take down an unsuspecting opponent, the Assassin's best work is done where none will know they were ever there.

The Cunning Defender - the Acrobat
The Acrobat focusses her cunning prowess into daring feats, keeping her opponent off-balance, enraged and distracted, focussing on taking her down rather than striking at her comrades. Wearing little armor and wielding light weapons, the Acrobat relies on her agility and cunning to escape unscathed from any onslaught.

The Cunning Controller - the Thief
The Thief focusses their cunning prowess into stealth, guile, and unparalleled situational awareness. Whether disarming traps, luring the enemy into an ambush, or sneaking their companions past an unsuspecting army, the Thief knows how to get in, get the job done, and get out again.

The Cunning Leader - the Bard
The Bard focusses his cunning prowess into a charming presence, an unparalleled understanding of drama and stagecraft, and an uncanny sway over the hearts and minds of others. By keeping his enemies unsettled and his allies cheerful and encouraged, he ensures that the party lives to tell the tale of their adventures.

The Primal Power Source - the Barbarian
The Primal Striker - the Berserker
The Berserker focusses his primal connection into a fierce rage, fueling a terrifying and seemingly endless onslaught. By channeling the Primal spirits through his body and his combat prowess, the Berserker becomes a terror on the battlefield, slaying his foes and driving them before him.

The Primal Defender - the Warden
The Warden focusses her primal connection into a wellspring of vitality, making her a nearly unstoppable protector of the natural world. By inviting the protection of her Primal spirits, the Warden becomes easily the toughest of sentinels, despite her light armor and often primitive weapons.

The Primal Controller - the Hunter
The Hunter focusses her primal connection into a keen understanding of her terrain and her quarry, becoming the unmatched master of the wilderness. She can call upon her Primal spirit companions to manifest among her, and may even bond with the creatures of the wild, gaining a fierce predator as a lifelong hunting companion.

The Primal Leader - the Shaman
the Shaman focusses his primal connection into a direct communion with the spirits of nature, acting as a medium between the spirit world and the material. The Shaman can call on the power of the Spirit World directly, to heal his allies, bolster their abilities, and hinder his enemies' attempt to harm them. The Primal spirits of nature are never far from the Shaman's call, willing to manifest and do his bidding at a moment's notice.

The Arcane Power Source - the Mage
The Arcane Striker - the Sorcerer
The Sorcerer accesses the power of the arcane through a direct infusion of arcane energies. Many Sorcerers are born, the result of magical breeding experiments or cross-breeding with inherently magical beings such as demons, dragons, or the fae. Other Sorcerers - often called "Warlocks" - are made, forging pacts of service with those selfsame beings. Still other Sorcerers unlock their abilities through dangerous experiments, infusing their bodies and souls with arcane energies directly.

The Arcane Defender - the Sage
The Sage accesses the power of the arcane by unlocking the arcane energies within their own body. Called 'qi' or 'life-force', the Sage learns to channel these energies into devastating blows, uncanny dodges, and elemental effects, whether through bare-handed strikes or arcane mastery of a particular weapon. Such "Sword-mages" often appear among the fairy hosts in lieu of Fighters, who make no distinction between martial prowess and innate arcane enlightenment.

The Arcane Controller - the Wizard
The Wizard accesses the power of the arcane through careful study and ritual formulae. By following the formulae laid out in her spellbooks, a Wizard can create almost any effect imaginable. Controlling the raw forces of magic itself make the Wizard an unparalleled force on the battlefield, capable of single-handedly disrupting an unprepared enemy force. There are as many different ways to approach the arcane as there are wizards - from 'elemental forces' to 'primordial languages' to 'psionic power', they all fundamentally resolve to a philosophy of mind-over-matter.

The Arcane Leader - the Artificer
The Artificer accesses the power of the arcane through alchemy, crafting and engineering, creating potions and devices that heal her allies, augment their effectiveness, and protect them on the battlefield. An Artificer's aid to her allies is unique, in that it most often takes the shape of direct, tangible objects - glass phials filled with bubbling fluids, small devices, and other such arcane trinkets.

The Divine Power Source - the Priest
The Divine Striker - the Avenger
The Avenger serves her divine patron as an agent of her wrath, smiting her patron's enemies and destroying that which would threaten her domain. While often lightly-armed, the Avenger's heavy weaponry and blessings are easily the match of any Slayer.

The Divine Defender - the Templar
The Templar serves her divine patron as a protector and quester, seeking to protect her patron's flock from the depredations of the infidel. The Templar often wears heavy armor, and invokes the power of their patron to smite those who would prey on the weak rather than fight an honorable battle with the Templar herself.

The Divine Controller - the Invoker
The Invoker serves his divine patron as a direct conduit of his patron's power, channeling the raw powers of creation into devastating battlefield effects. Plagues, curses and calamity are the domain of the Invoker, who commands the very wrath of the Heavens and Hells to pour forth and sow discord amongst his enemies.

The Divine Leader - the Cleric
The Cleric serves his divine patron as a healer and spiritual guide, tending the flock and leading it to safe pastures. Blessings, wards of protection, and divine rebukes are first the tools of the Cleric, and if those fail, divine fire and retribution are sure to follow.

Xechon
2012-03-02, 10:45 PM
Well, this isn't bad. I myself have been drawn to the categorization of roles, but the fluff should probably be left to each individual player to decide for thierself. I understand the separation of fluff types, but, as is one of the biggest problems with 4e, all of the classes of the same role are pretty much exactly the same. Also, do you know that a role-fluff combination class for every one has already been made, in PH1, PH2, PH3, Ebberon, and Forgotten Realms?

If you are to go through with this, I would say make sure that you add an actual multiclass system, so players can combine roles without having to burn feats for equal power, just a different type, or Hybrid and slap two halves together to make a whole.

Also, I can't help but notice...You've lost psionic. And I can see much inward rage for monks being called arcane, since they are the only option for a viable unarmed combatant, and people may not want to call that spellcasting.

Ialdabaoth
2012-03-02, 11:36 PM
Well, this isn't bad. I myself have been drawn to the categorization of roles, but the fluff should probably be left to each individual player to decide for thierself. I understand the separation of fluff types, but, as is one of the biggest problems with 4e, all of the classes of the same role are pretty much exactly the same. Also, do you know that a role-fluff combination class for every one has already been made, in PH1, PH2, PH3, Ebberon, and Forgotten Realms?

I've been vaguely aware of this, but I feel like there was a mad proliferation of superfluous power sources and role-overlapping "fluff classes" that could have just been reskins and extra power sets for existing classes.

If you are to go through with this, I would say make sure that you add an actual multiclass system, so players can combine roles without having to burn feats for equal power, just a different type, or Hybrid and slap two halves together to make a whole.

Absolutely. In fact, the "multiclass" system will essentially be a sort of super-hybridizing - wherein you lose some of your base "class features" (but can purchase them as feats), but gain the ability to pick-and-choose your powers from any number of classes.

Essentially, I envision three different kinds of 'multi-classing': Hybrids (which will work roughly like they do in 4E), Multiclass Feats (which will work more-or-less as they do in 4E, but a bit more generous), and "Generalists", which are characters which choose a Power Source but no specific Role. Thus, a "generalist" Fighter would be able to pick and choose from Slayer powers, Knight powers, Scout powers and Warlord powers, at the cost of having no (or fewer) initial 'class features', but the option to buy Martial 'class features' as feats.

Also, I can't help but notice...You've lost psionic.

Well, not so much "lost" as "excised with extreme prejudice", but yes. I've always felt rather strongly that 'Psionic' is just another way to do 'Arcane'.

And I can see much inward rage for monks being called arcane, since they are the only option for a viable unarmed combatant, and people may not want to call that spellcasting.

Sure. On that note, I see no reason why a Martial version of 'Improved Unarmed Strike' couldn't be available for the Slayer. Ultimately, if you want an unarmed fighter who kicks ass due to pure martial prowess, you want a Slayer that can apply all their Slayer knacks to their bare fist (and maybe up their damage die to boot). If you want the super-wuxia kung-fu haddoken stuff, then you're doing Arcane tricks.

Xechon
2012-03-03, 12:10 AM
I've been vaguely aware of this, but I feel like there was a mad proliferation of superfluous power sources and role-overlapping "fluff classes" that could have just been reskins and extra power sets for existing classes.

So you are planning to diversify the fluff types actual game effects. I can't see a very easy way to do this, but I like. I might even try out 4e again using this.

Essentially, I envision three different kinds of 'multi-classing': Hybrids (which will work roughly like they do in 4E), Multiclass Feats (which will work more-or-less as they do in 4E, but a bit more generous), and "Generalists", which are characters which choose a Power Source but no specific Role. Thus, a "generalist" Fighter would be able to pick and choose from Slayer powers, Knight powers, Scout powers and Warlord powers, at the cost of having no (or fewer) initial 'class features', but the option to buy Martial 'class features' as feats.

I like this alot. Wow, I may seriously have to get those books back soon.

Well, not so much "lost" as "excised with extreme prejudice", but yes. I've always felt rather strongly that 'Psionic' is just another way to do 'Arcane'.

In method, psionic is like arcane, yes. But the idea suggests a difference that I've always strived for in custom psionics; you don't use your mind to cast spells, you use it to alter your form, harden, dissolve, sense nearby intelligence, determine surface thoughts, and just plain physical self-buffs due to mental perfection.

Sure. On that note, I see no reason why a Martial version of 'Improved Unarmed Strike' couldn't be available for the Slayer. Ultimately, if you want an unarmed fighter who kicks ass due to pure martial prowess, you want a Slayer that can apply all their Slayer knacks to their bare fist (and maybe up their damage die to boot). If you want the super-wuxia kung-fu haddoken stuff, then you're doing Arcane tricks.

And I am now satisfied. You have just made me see a future for 4e, where everyone could be happy and not care about it's WOW style powers...maybe:smallbiggrin:.

Ialdabaoth
2012-03-03, 11:35 AM
(note: edited original post after I spent some time thinking about this one; changed 'Monk' to 'Sage' and 'Paladin' to 'Templar' to reserve those names for hybridizing.)

And now, some specific thoughts on multi-classing:

There are three different ways to Multi-class: Multi-class Feats, Generalist classes, and Hybrids.

Multi-Class Feats
A Multi-Class Feat is a way to "dabble" in another class. Each Multi-Class feat grants you a Class Feature of another specific class, and automatically allows you to choose lower-level powers from that class as you level up. (I.e., the "Power Swap" feats are now included for free as part of the original Multi-Class Feat, instead of existing as superfluous 'speed bumps'.) A character may only choose a single Multi-Class Feat from outside their own Power Source, but may choose any number of Multi-Class Feats from inside their own Power Source.

Generalists
Generalist classes choose a Power Source, but no Role. As such, they may pick and choose between any of the Powers available in their purview, but gain no initial Class Features. Such Class Features may be purchased individually as Multi-Class Feats, either at character creation or during progression.

Five Power Sources means five Generalist classes:

The Martial Generalist - the Fighter
The Fighter learns to lead, to follow, to attack, to defend, to protect and to destroy. They can learn any Martial power, and can learn the Class Features of any of the four Martial classes as Multi-Class Feats.

The Cunning Generalist - the Rogue
The Rogue is a thief, a spy, an acrobat, a charmer and a killer all in one. They can learn any Cunning power, and can learn the Class Features of any of the four Cunning classes as Multi-Class Feats.

The Primal Generalist - the Barbarian
The Barbarian walks among the Primal wilderness, communing with the spirits and inviting their power and wisdom to flow alongside him and within him. They can learn any Primal power, and can learn the Class Features of any of the four Primal classes as a Multi-Class Feat.

The Arcane Generalist - the Mage
The Mage studies all forms of Arcane lore with equal interest, unsatisfied with the narrower focus of his peers. They can learn any Arcane power, and can learn the Class Features of any of the four Arcane classes as a Multi-Class Feat.

The Divine Generalist - the Priest
The Priest can heal and curse, comfort and rebuke, shatter and mend with equal ease, following their patron's will wherever it leads them. They can learn any Divine power, and can learn the Class Features of any of the four Divine classes as a Multi-Class Feat.

Hybrids
Like the Generalist, a Hybrid - by default - has no specific role. A Hybrid is essentially a 'Generalist' who accesses two separate power sources, choosing their powers and feats evenly between both. Hybrids may choose any number of Multi-Class Feats from either of their two Power Sources, but are still limited to a single Multi-Class Feat from any third Power Source.

By choosing two out of five power sources, ten Hybrid classes can be explicitly defined:

The Martial / Primal Hybrid - the Ranger
The Ranger represents a primarily Martial character who dabbles in the natural magic of the Primal spirits. Rangers often take on the Striker or Controller role, although a Leader or Defender Ranger is not unheard of.

The Martial / Cunning Hybrid - the Brigand
The Brigand represents a perfect blend of Martial and Cunning power, a duelist and swashbuckler extraordinaire who combines versatility and pinache on the battlefield. Brigands often take the Striker or Controller role, although they also make quite capable Leaders.

The Martial / Arcane Hybrid - the Monk
The Monk chooses to supplement their Martial prowess with an Arcane understanding of the fighting arts. Fighting Monks most often take the Striker or Defender role, but many Monks make admirable Controllers as well.

The Martial / Divine Hybrid - the Paladin
The Paladin is a Martial character who chooses to devotely serve a Divine patron, gaining a small amount of that patron's power. Paladins most often serve the Leader or Defender role, although Striker Paladins are not unheard of.

The Cunning / Primal Hybrid - the Explorer
The Explorer lives by his wits, delving into the unknown corners of the map and coming back with tales of strange creatures and treasure beyond imagining. Explorers most often take the Controller or Leader role, and can make passable Defenders.

The Cunning / Arcane Hybrid - the Trickster
The Trickster is a Cunning character who has augmented his natural talents with a dabbling in the Arcane. Many Tricksters favor the Enchantment or Illusion schools of magic, and hence make excellent Controllers.

The Cunning / Divine Hybrid - the Hermit
The Hermit typically lives alone, seeking divine and mundane wisdom through solitude and ascetic struggle. Sometimes, a Hermit finds themselves thrust into events, joining an adventuring party and aiding them in their quest. Such Hermits make good Leaders and Controllers, and passable Defenders.

The Primal / Arcane Hybrid - the Witch
The Witch combines a practical understanding of the Primal forces of nature with an equally practical understanding of the Arcane forces that govern reality. Whether brewing potions, casting curses or binding spirits, a Witch makes a terrifying Striker or Controller, and a passible Leader.

The Primal / Divine Hybrid - the Druid
The Druid walks the line between a Primal worship of nature itself, and a Divine worship of the deities that represent those forces. Druids make excellent Leaders and acceptable Controllers, while their access to primal shapeshifting magics give them an adequate prowess for the Striker and Defender roles.

The Arcane / Divine Hybrid - the Scholar
The Scholar is a Divine character whose philosophical study of their patron has led them to a more Arcane understanding of their patron's ways and means, or an Arcane character whose study of the fundamental forces of reality has led them to a small command over the Divine energies that shaped the world in the beginning. Scholars make excellent Controllers, and passable Leaders.

Ialdabaoth
2012-03-03, 12:27 PM
And now, general character creation rules.

Skills
The 'Dungeoneering' skill has been replaced with a 'Crafts' skill. Some of the original 'Dungeoneering' feats and skill powers should be rolled into the new 'Crafts' skill, while the remainder should roll into the 'Nature' skill.

Characters begin play with at least five trained Skills. Two Skills are determined directly by the character's Power Source, with the third and fourth Skill determined by their specific Class. The final Skill may be chosen freely from the entire Skill list.

Martial Power Source
Trained Skills: Endurance, Athletics.
Slayer - Intimidate, Streetwise.
Knight - Intimidate, Perception.
Scout - Stealth, Perception.
Warlord - Diplomacy, Heal.

Cunning Power Source
Trained Skills: Bluff, Stealth.
Assassin - Perception, Streetwise.
Acrobat - Acrobatics, Athletics.
Thief - Craft, Thievery.
Bard - Diplomacy, History.

Primal Power Source
Trained Skills: Nature, Perception.
Berserker - Endurance, Intimidate.
Warden - Endurance, Insight.
Hunter - Perception, Stealth.
Shaman - Diplomacy, Heal.

Arcane Power Source
Trained Skills: Arcana, Craft.
Sorcerer - Bluff, Perception.
Sage - Perception, Insight.
Wizard - Perception, History.
Artificer - Heal, Nature.

Divine Power Source
Trained Skills: Religion, History.
Avenger - Athletics, Intimidate.
Templar - Endurance, Insight.
Invoker - Arcana, Perception.
Cleric - Heal, Insight.

Hit Points and Surges
A character's base Hit Points at "level zero" are always equal to their Constitution score. Each level adds a number of Hit Points based on the character's role, so a first level character has a number of HP equal to their Constitution + their HP/level. Thus, a level 1 Striker with a Constitution of 13 begins play with (13 + 5) = 18 HP.

Defender
Hit Points: Constitution + 6 x level
Surges/Day: Con + 6

Leader
Hit Points: Constitution + 5 x level
Surges/Day: Con + 7

Striker or Generalist
Hit Points: Constitution + 5 x level
Surges/Day: Con + 5

Controller
Hit Points: Constitution + 4 x level
Surges/Day: Con + 4

Class Features
All Classes begin at Level 1 by choosing two Class Feats, two At-Will Powers, and two Encounter Powers from the Class's available lists. (Some Class Feats may grant additional At-Will, Encounter, or Daily Powers). You must choose different At-Will Powers, but you may choose the same Encounter Power twice.

At each new level, the character gains an additional Class Feat, chosen from the list of Class Feats available to that Class at that level or lower. Some Feats may be taken multiple times, while others may only be taken once.

Additionally, at each even level, the character gains an additional generic Feat. This Feat may be spent instead to learn another Class Feat, if you so choose.

The following Class Features are automatically granted to each character, based on their Power Source:

Martial Power Source
Defenses: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex
Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged, Military Ranged, one Superior Weapon of your choice, Light Shields, Leather Armor, Hide Armor, Scale Armor, Chainmail
Weapon Mastery: All Martial characters automatically gain the Weapon Focus and Weapon Expertise Feats for each Weapon they have Proficiency in.

Cunning Power Source
Defenses: +2 Reflex
Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Simple Ranged, Leather Armor.
Sneak Attack: All Cunning characters gain the ability to perform a 'Sneak Attack' against an unsuspecting foe. Whenever the Cunning character has combat advantage against a target, they may forgo the normal +2 combat advantage bonus to instead make their attack an automatic critical hit if it succeeds.

Primal Power Source
Defenses: +2 Fortitude
Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Military Melee, Light Thrown, Leather Armor, Hide Armor.
Primal Vitality: All Primal characters gain +1 HP/level.

Arcane Power Source
Defenses: +2 Will
Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Arcane Implements, one Superior Implement of your choice.
Ritual Caster: All Arcane characters gain the ability to cast Arcane rituals.

Divine Power Source
Defenses: +1 Fortitude, +1 Will
Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Divine Implements, one Superior Implement of your choice.
Channel Divinity: All Divine characters gain an additional Encounter power, "Channel Divinity". A Divine character may learn any number of specific 'Channel Divinity' powers, but may only use one such power per Encounter.

Ialdabaoth
2012-03-12, 03:46 PM
Hey look, Martial Heroes!

The Martial Hero

Choose a Role
To further focus your character, you can choose one of five combat roles to fulfill for your team:

Striker (the Warrior)
Defender (the Guard)
Controller (the Scout)
Leader (the Marshal)
Generalist (the Fighter)

Your choice will determine your HP per level, your starting defense bonuses, your weapon and armor proficiencies, and your starting skills. All Martial heroes share certain skills and proficiencies.

The Martial Striker - the Warrior
The Warrior focuses her martial prowess into raw, brutal combat, striving to be the best weapons-master the world has seen. Any opponent, any weapon, in any situation; none can match the Warrior for raw prowess with a blade or bow.

Class Features
HP / Level: 5
Defenses: Fortitude +1, Reflex +1
Weapon Proficiencies: All Simple Melee, All Military Melee, All Simple Ranged
Armor Proficiencies: Leather, Hide, Chain
Trained Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Intimidate, Streetwise

Beginning Class Feats
Fighting Style: Choose any one Fighting Style to specialize in at level 1.

Weapon Master: You automatically gain the Weapon Expertise feat for each Weapon you are proficient in. Whenever you gain a new weapon proficiency, you automatically gain that Weapon Expertise feat for free.

Martial Prowess: Add your Dexterity modifier to the damage you deal with any melee weapon attack.

The Martial Defender - the Guard
The Guard focuses his martial prowess into defending others, standing fast against enemies that would slay a lesser man in a single blow. Frequently wearing heavy armor and a shield, the Guard's duty is to protect his charges.

HP / Level: 6
Defenses: Fortitude +2
Armor Proficiencies: Leather, Hide, Chain, Scale, Plate, Light Shield
Trained Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Intimidate, Perception

Beginning Class Feats

Combat Challenge: (Intimidate) When you make a melee weapon attack against an enemy, you Mark that enemy whether the attack hits or misses. Whenever an enemy Marked by you shifts or makes an attack that does not include you, you may make a melee basic against it as an immediate interrupt.

Combat Superiority: (Perception) You gain a bonus to Opportunity Attacks equal to your Wisdom modifier. If an enemy struck by your opportunity attack was moving, their movement stops. If they have actions remaining, they may resume moving as normal.

The Martial Controller - the Scout
The Scout focuses his martial prowess into an unparalleled tactical acumen, knowing where to direct traps and ranged volleys where they will be the most disruptive to the enemy's plans. Most often wielding bows or other long-ranged weapons, the Scout is also trained to infiltrate the enemy's lines, gathering information and reporting back without being seen.

Class Features
HP / Level: 4
Defenses: Reflex +2
Armor Proficiencies: Leather, Hide, Chain
Trained Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Perception, Stealth

Beginning Class Feats

Battle Awareness: (Perception) You gain a bonus to Initiative equal to your Wisdom modifier. During the first turn of any encounter or against any Surprised enemy, you gain a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to your Wisdom modifier. Additionally, when you take an Extended Rest, you and your allies do not suffer the -5 penalty to Perception checks for sleeping.

Tracker’s Quarry: (Stealth) Once per turn as a minor action, you may designate a target that you may see as your Quarry. Until the end of the encounter or until you designate a new Quarry, you ignore all penalties from that target due to partial cover or partial concealment, and all penalties due to total cover or total concealment are reduced to a maximum of -2.

The Martial Leader - the Marshal
The Marshal focuses her martial prowess into teamwork and leadership, guiding and protecting her allies with keen insight and encouragement. The Marshal does not neglect her own combat abilities, however - she is equally at home on foot or in the saddle, wielding bow or blade, wearing leather or maille.

Class Features
HP / Level: 5
Defenses: Fortitude +1, Will + 1
Armor Proficiencies: Leather, Hide, Chain, Light Shield
Trained Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Diplomacy, Insight

Beginning Class Feats

Combat Leader: (Diplomacy) You and all allies who can see you gain a power bonus to Initiative equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Inspiring Presence: (Insight) When an ally that can see you uses their Second Wind, they regain additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.

The Martial Generalist - the Fighter
The Fighter learns to lead, to follow, to attack, to defend, to protect and to destroy. They can learn any Martial power, and can learn the Class Features of any of the four Martial classes as Multi-Class Feats.

Class Feats
HP / Level: 4
Defenses: Fortitude +1, Reflex +1
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged
Armor Proficiencies: Leather, Hide, Scale, Chain
Trained Skills: Athletics, Endurance.

Beginning Class Feats

Choose Two: Choose two Class Feats from any one or two Martial classes. You gain that Class Feat and its associated skill (if any).

Fighting Styles
Bare-Handed Fighting Style
Your bare fists and feet count as off-hand melee weapons, gaining all the bonuses that apply to weapon attacks. You gain a Proficiency bonus to all unarmed attacks equal to your Dexterity modifier, and a proficiency bonus to grab attacks and attempts to move a grabbed opponent equal to your Constitution modifier.

Light Weapon Fighting Style
You gain proficiency in one off-hand or one-handed Superior Melee or Light Thrown Weapon of your choice. You gain a +1 bonus to your weapon attack rolls and damage when wielding an off-hand or one-handed melee or light thrown weapon in your main hand.

Heavy Weapon Fighting Style
You gain proficiency in one two-handed Superior Melee Weapon of your choice. You gain a +1 bonus to your weapon attack rolls and damage when wielding a versatile or two-handed weapon in both hands.

Two-Weapon Fighting Style
You gain proficiency in one off-hand, one-handed, or versatile Superior Melee Weapon of your choice. You can wield a one-handed melee weapon in your off hand as if it was an off-hand weapon, and gain a +1 bonus to your weapon attack rolls when wielding a weapon in each hand.

Ranged Weapon Fighting Style
You gain proficiency in Military Ranged Weapons and one Superior Ranged Weapon of your choice. You gain a +2 bonus to your defense against opportunity attacks that you provoke when making a ranged weapon attack.

Shield Fighting Style
You gain proficiency in Light and Heavy Shields, and a +1 bonus to your weapon attack rolls with one-handed weapons while using a shield. When wearing a shield, you gain a +2 bonus to your defense against opportunity attacks, and ignore the shield’s Check penalty.

Ensnaring Weapon Fighting Style
You gain proficiency in one Superior flail, polearm, spear or staff weapon of your choice. When you wield a polearm, spear or staff weapon that you are proficient in, that weapon gains the reach property if it did not already have it. You may use a spiked chain as if it was a double weapon and may treat it as a flail or a light blade. As a double weapon, the flail deals 2d4/2d4 damage and gains the off-hand property, and may use the higher of your Strength or Dexterity modifier to determine your Proficiency bonus.

Choosing Powers

Choose two At-Will Powers
You may now choose two separate at-will powers from the list below. Each At-Will Power has either a Class Feat or a Fighting Style as its prerequisite. You may choose two Fighting Style at-will powers, two Class Feat at-will powers, or one of each.

Certain powers are listed more than once; these powers may be chosen if you meet either set of criteria that they are listed under, but work identically in either case. For example, the Nimble Stance power appears in both the Light Weapon Fighting Style list and the Ranged Weapon Fighting Style list, which means that you may choose that At-Will Power if you know either of these fighting styles. The power works with both melee and ranged attacks, so you can use it with a melee weapon even if you gained it through the Ranged Weapon Fighting Style.

Combat Challenge
Each of these at-will powers require that you have taken the Combat Challenge Class Feat.

Threatening Stance
At-Will * Martial Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, unmarked enemies who are adjacent to you suffer all the penalties of your Combat Challenge as if they were Marked by you.

Combat Superiority
Each of these powers require that you have taken the Combat Superiority Class Feat.

Defend the Line
At-Will * Martial Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, whenever you hit a target with a melee weapon attack, that target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Tracker’s Quarry
Each of these powers require that you have taken the Tracker’s Quarry Class Feat.

Harassing Strike
At-Will * Martial Weapon Attack
Standard Action * Melee or Ranged Weapon
Target: Your quarry
Effect: Your quarry may allow you to slide them a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier. If they don’t, you make a basic attack against the target, with a power bonus to your attack roll equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Pursuing Strike
Immediate Reaction * Melee or Ranged Weapon
Target: Your quarry
Effect: You may shift a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier towards your quarry, then perform a basic attack against them. If you hit, your quarry may not shift until the start of your next turn.

Battle Awareness
Each of these powers require that you have taken the Battle Awareness Class Feat.

Distracting Shot
Immediate Reaction * Melee or Ranged Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
Hit: [1W] damage, and the target grants combat advantage to you and your allies until the end of your next turn.

Hit and Run
Effect: Perform a melee or ranged basic attack. You may shift one square before or after the attack.

Combat Leader Powers
Each of these powers require that you have taken the Combat Leader Class Feat.

Call the Shot
Target: One creature that you can see
Effect: One ally makes a basic melee or ranged attack against the target. The attack gains a power bonus to damage equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Opening Shove
Standard Action * Melee Weapon
Attack: Strength vs. Fortitude
Hit: You push the target one square, and one you can see may either shift a number of squares equal to your Intelligence modifier, or make a melee basic attack against that target.

Wolf Pack Advance
Effect: Choose an adjacent target. One ally adjacent to you or the target may shift one square as a free action. Then, perform a melee basic attack against the target. If you hit, the target may not shift until the start of your next turn.

Inspiring Presence Powers
Each of these powers require that you have taken the Inspiring Presence Class Feat.

Brash Assault
Effect: Make a melee basic attack as a free action. The target may then make a melee basic attack against you as a free action, and gains combat advantage for that attack. If they do, one ally that can see you can make a melee or ranged basic attack against that target as a free action, and gains combat advantage for that attack.

Set-Up Blow
Hit: Strength modifier damage, and the next ally to attack the target adds your Charisma modifier as a power bonus to their attack and damage roll.

Light Weapon Fighting Style
Each of these powers require that you have taken the Light Weapon Fighting Style, and that you be wielding a one-handed melee or thrown weapon.

Nimble Strike
Immediate reaction * Melee or Ranged Weapon
Effect: You make a melee or ranged basic attack, then move a number of squares up to your Dexterity modifier.

Rapid Strike
Minor Action * Melee or Light Thrown Weapon
Hit: [1W] damage.

Slashing Strike
Standard Action * Close Burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst
Hit: Half your Strength modifier damage (round up).

Mobile Stance
At-Will * Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: If you are not wearing heavy armor, a shield, or a two-handed weapon, you gain a +1 power bonus to speed. You gain a +2 power bonus to speed, attack rolls and damage when performing a charge attack.

Heavy Weapon Fighting Style
Each of these powers require that you have taken the Heavy Weapon Fighting Style, and that you be wielding a two-handed weapon.

Brash Strike
Effect: Make a melee basic attack with a +2 attack bonus and a damage bonus equal to your Constitution modifier. You grant combat advantage to the target until the beginning of your next turn.

Brutal Charge
Effect: Make a charge attack with a +2 power bonus to speed and a +2 power bonus to the attack roll.

Cleave
Effect: Make a melee basic attack. If you hit, one enemy adjacent to the target takes damage equal to your Strength modifier. All damage resistance against this attack is halved.

Reaping Strike
Effect: Make a melee basic attack. If you miss, the target still takes damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Power Stance
At-Will * Martial Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, you suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls and gain a +4 power bonus to damage for all two-handed melee weapon attacks.

Ranged Fighting Style
Each of these powers require that you have taken the Ranged Fighting Style, and that you be wielding a ranged weapon.

Arrow Burst
Standard Action * Area Burst 1 within range of your Ranged Weapon
Target: Each creature in burst (-2 vs. Reflex)
Hit: [1W] damage.

Hobbling Shot
Standard Action * Ranged Weapon
Effect: Make a basic ranged attack against a single target. If you hit, the target falls prone and is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Take Aim
At-Will * Martial Stance
Minor Action * Ranged Weapon
Target: One creature within range of your weapon
Effect: Until the stance ends, you gain a power bonus to your next attack and damage roll against the target equal to your Wisdom modifier. This bonus increases by +1 for each turn that you maintain the stance, to a maximum of twice your Wisdom modifier. If the target is your Quarry, the attack is automatically a critical hit if it hits. This stance ends when you lose sight of the target or when you perform an attack against any target.

Nimble Strike
Effect: You make a melee or ranged basic attack, then move a number of squares up to your Dexterity modifier.

Sniper’s Stance
At-Will * Martial Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, you double all defense and stealth bonuses granted by cover or concealment. You may perform a ranged basic attack as a move action. The stance ends if you are moved from your square for any reason.

Shield Fighting Style
Each of these powers require that you have taken the Shield Fighting Style, and that you be wearing a shield.

Careful Strike
Effect: Make a basic melee attack with your primary weapon. Until the end of your next turn, you gain a power bonus to all defenses against the target’s attacks equal to your Constitution modifier, plus your shield’s Enhancement bonus.

Shield Bash
Target: One creature (+0 vs. Fortitude)
Hit: Constitution modifier damage, and you push the target 1 square unless it is 2 size categories or more larger than you. You may shift into an adjacent space that the target occupied.

Rooted Stance
At-Will * Martial Stance
Minor Action * Melee Weapon
Effect: Until the stance ends, whenever an attack would push, pull or slide you, you may reduce the number of squares moved by up to your Constitution modifier. You may end this stance as an immediate interrupt during or immediately after a forced movement to make a single melee basic attack against one adjacent enemy.

Unarmed Fighting Style
Each of these powers require that you have taken the Unarmed Fighting Style, and that you have at least one hand free.

Improved Unarmed Strike
At-Will * Martial Attack
Standard Action * Melee Weapon (Unarmed)
Special: You may use this power as a melee basic attack.
Attack: Strength or Dexterity vs. Reflex.
Hit: 1D6 + Strength modifier damage.

Flowing Stance
At-Will * Martial Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, when you hit with an unarmed attack, you may choose for the target to be grabbed, knocked prone, or pushed two squares. If you achieve a critical hit, you knock the target prone, and may choose to grab them or push them two squares.

Flurry of Blows
At-Will * Martial Attack
Attack: Strength or Dexterity vs. Reflex.
Hit: 1D4 damage.

Crushing Clinch
At-Will * Martial Attack
Move Action * Melee Weapon (Unarmed)
Special: You must have a creature grabbed.
Hit: The target takes damage equal to your Strength modifier, and is dazed until the end of your next turn. You may shift one square, pulling the target one square into an adjacent square as you do so.

Clinched Throw
At-Will * Martial Attack
Move Action * Melee Weapon (Unarmed)
Special: You must have a creature grabbed.
Hit: The target is pushed a number of squares equal to your Constitution modifier. If you end the target adjacent to a wall or other obstacle, the target takes 1D4 damage. If the you end the target adjacent to another creature, both creatures take 1D4 damage and are knocked prone.

Mobile Stance
At-Will * Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: If you are not wearing heavy armor, a shield, or a two-handed weapon, you gain a +1 power bonus to speed. You gain a +2 power bonus to speed, attack rolls and damage when performing a charge attack.

Two-Weapon Fighting Style
Each of these powers require that you have taken the Two-Weapon Fighting Style, and that you be wielding a melee weapon in each hand.

Parrying Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, you gain a power bonus to all defenses equal to your off-hand weapon’s Proficiency bonus plus that weapon’s Enhancement bonus. When an adjacent enemy misses you with a melee action, you may immediately end this stance as an immediate reaction to make a melee basic attack against that opponent with your off-hand weapon. This stance ends if you make any attack with your off-hand weapon.

Dual Blade Stance
At-Will * Martial Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, whenever you make a basic melee attack with your primary weapon, you may immediately make a basic melee attack with your off-hand weapon against the same target as a minor action.

Flowing Strike
Immediate reaction * Melee or Ranged Weapon
Special: You may only use this power once per round.
Trigger: You hit with a melee basic attack with your primary weapon.
Effect: You may move a number of squares up to your Dexterity modifier as a move action, then make a basic melee attack with your off-hand weapon against another target as a minor action. You gain a +2 bonus to your defenses vs. opportunity attacks during the move.

Ensnaring Weapon Fighting Style
Each of these powers require that you have taken the Ensnaring Weapon Fighting Style, and that you be wielding a flail or a weapon with the reach property.

Dragging Sweep
Effect: Make a melee basic attack. If you hit, you may choose to either slide the target one square, or knock the target prone. If you achieve a critical hit, you may do both.

Whirling Strike
At-Will * Martial Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, if you are wielding a weapon with the reach property, you threaten all squares within your reach. When you hit with an opportunity attack, you may end this stance as an immediate interrupt to slide the target one square and knock the opponent prone. If you are attacking with a flail, you may instead grab the opponent with your flail. While the target remains grabbed, you cannot use your flail (or that end of your flail if it is a double weapon), but may sustain the grab as long as the target is within the flail’s reach. While the target remains grabbed, you can pull the target one square as a minor action.

Plant and Brace
At-Will * Martial Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Special: You must be wielding a polearm or a spear.
Effect: Until the stance ends, you are Immobilized. If an enemy charges you, you may end this stance as an immediate interrupt to make an opportunity attack with an attack bonus equal to your Constitution score. If you hit, the attack is automatically a critical hit and deals an additional [2W] damage.

Arcing Slash
Target: Close Burst within reach of your weapon
Attack: Dexterity - 2 vs. Reflex.
Hit: One-half Strength modifier damage (round down).

Skill Powers
You may also choose any Skill Power for a Skill that you are trained in.

Choose Two Encounter Powers
You may choose two of the following Encounter Powers at level 1.

Power Strike
Encounter * Martial Weapon Attack
Prerequisite: Martial Prowess
Immediate Interrupt * Melee or Ranged Weapon
Trigger: You hit a target with a weapon attack
Effect: Add [1W] to the attack’s damage against that target, and halve the target’s damage resistance against this attack.

Sweeping Strike
Prerequisite: Weapon Master
Target: Each enemy in burst that you can see
Effect: Make a melee basic attack against each target.

Take the Hit
Prerequisite: Combat Challenge
Immediate Interrupt * Martial Melee Weapon
Trigger: An adjacent enemy hits an ally with an attack.
Effect: The attack hits you instead. Make a basic melee attack against the triggering enemy. If you hit, the target is knocked prone.

Covering Strike
Prerequisite: Combat Superiority
Target: One enemy
Effect: Make a basic melee attack against the target. If you hit, each ally adjacent to you or the target may shift a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Disrupting Strike
Prerequisite: Battle Awareness
Immediate Interrupt * Melee or Ranged Weapon
Trigger: You hit a target with a weapon attack.
Effect: Choose one: the target becomes dazed (save ends) or immobilized (save ends). The target suffers both effects if you achieve a critical hit.

Scout Ahead
Encounter * Martial Utility
Prerequisite: Tracker’s Quarry
Standard Action * Close Burst 10
Effect: Make a Perception skill check with a DC determined by the DM. If your check succeeds, you determine the number and nature of all creatures that have moved through the burst area within the past 24 hours. You ascertain when and where they entered the area, and when and where they left. Until the end of the encounter, enemies within the burst gain a penalty to all Stealth checks equal to your Wisdom modifier, and your allies may ignore half the total penalties due to those enemies’ concealment or cover.

Covering Block
Prerequisite: Combat Leader
Immediate Interrupt * Martial Melee Weapon
Trigger: An enemy hits an adjacent ally with an attack.
Effect: The attack suffers a penalty equal to your Intelligence modifier. If the enemy is within reach of your melee weapon, you may make the following attack:
Target: The triggering enemy
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: [1W] damage, and the ally can shift a number of squares equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Inspiring Words
Encounter (Exclusive) * Martial Healing Utility
Prerequisite: Inspiring Presence
Minor Action * Close Burst 5
Target: You or one ally in burst
Effect: The target may choose to spend their Second Wind as an immediate interrupt. The target regains 1D6 hit points, and regains the use of their Second Wind.

Gaining Levels
At level 2, 4, 6, and 8, you gain one additional at-will power that you qualify for, and may choose one feat. If you choose to gain a new Fighting Style or Class Feat as a feat, the new at-will power may be from the new Fighting Style or Class Feat that you have chosen. You also gain a +1 bonus to all weapon attack rolls, and to all trained skill checks.

At level 3, 5, 7 and 9, you gain one additional encounter power that you qualify for. You may choose another level 1 encounter power, or any of the following higher level encounter powers. You also gain a +1 bonus to Initiative, to all defenses, and to all untrained skill checks.