PDA

View Full Version : What books should I get?

Tvtyrant
2012-03-02, 11:47 PM
So I have the players handbooks one and two, and I was wondering which books I should get in order to enhance my experience. I was thinking about getting Heroes of the Fallen Land, martial power, martial power II, and maybe primal power. I play a Rogue normally, and I would like more options for myself and the group.

Tegu8788
2012-03-02, 11:53 PM
While admittedly not exactly the answer to your question, if you're willing to drop that much, set it aside and get a ddi subscription. I've heard nothing but good stuff about it, it gives you every option, and I'd wager you'd have it for quite a while given how much you seem prepared to spend.

Tvtyrant
2012-03-03, 12:03 AM
While admittedly not exactly the answer to your question, if you're willing to drop that much, set it aside and get a ddi subscription. I've heard nothing but good stuff about it, it gives you every option, and I'd wager you'd have it for quite a while given how much you seem prepared to spend.

That all amounts to 30 bucks on amazon (with super savings no less). How much is the DDI?

Tvtyrant
2012-03-03, 03:44 AM
One thing I had heard was that the Thief was a more mobile attacker than a normal Rogue, and so was considering getting it for that.

Kurald Galain
2012-03-03, 05:48 AM
So I have the players handbooks one and two, and I was wondering which books I should get in order to enhance my experience. I was thinking about getting Heroes of the Fallen Land, martial power, martial power II, and maybe primal power. I play a Rogue normally, and I would like more options for myself and the group.
If you play a rogue and want more options, then your best bet is Martial Power 1 or 2. HOFL contains very little that is useful for a 4.0 rogue, and playing a thief will give you less options, not more.

One thing I had heard was that the Thief was a more mobile attacker than a normal Rogue,
I've never heard that before, and I don't think it's the case either.

Umbra
2012-03-05, 02:38 PM
I'm sitting here with Heroes of Shadow, and I'm thinking that the Assassin might be interesting for you.

Oracle_Hunter
2012-03-08, 10:27 AM
That all amounts to 30 bucks on amazon (with super savings no less). How much is the DDI?
DDI is a subscription-based tool that is really helpful for running 4e. If you've got a group together everyone can chip in a little less than $20 per person (http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Subscription.aspx) (assuming 4 people total) and get access to it for a year. It gives you the excellent Character Builder (every character option ever released plus incorporated Errata) and the Monster Builder (every monster every released, plus incorporated Errata and new monster generator). It's a pretty great deal.

But if you just want to pick up some books, you'd have to say more about what you want out of them. The X-Power series are said to have some good fluff, for example.