PDA

View Full Version : The Vystera Jewels

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-03, 02:08 PM
Unitus – Town Square

It’s a beautiful morning in the city of Unitus, fitting for the day's affairs. Today is the 18th birthday of the young princess Azurella. This means, as everyone knows, potential suitors may officially declare their intentions to both Azurella and her father King Julian Linder. To say King Linder is well-loved would be doing him a dishonor. It has been generations since Vaylindal's last war and the economy has been blossoming wonderfully.

The whole city is lined up along the pure white cobblestone extending from the castle’s entrance eager to see the royal family. The castle is perched ato pa long windy hill which oversees Lake Supreme, one of the many views which make the city of Unitus so picturesque. The air has a comfortable breeze flowing through it. The sun shines brightly and warm soaks through to the bones of the people of Unitus. Most stores and stalls have closed down for the afternoon festivities, although many vendors have lined up food stands of all kinds and expect to make a killing. The most popular stall fills the air around you with the scent of roasted chicken. Town guards, sporting their navy blue and indigo-robed armor, have formed a walled path along the cobblestone for the family to proceed through. They sport heavy armor, metal shields, and longswords, but wield none of them at the moment.

The family is expected to proceed shortly. People are pushing their way to the front of the pack to be the first to see.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/HeftyLefty40/LinderCastle.png

Sennex
2012-03-03, 03:38 PM
Nolan Saarbruck - Human Fighter

Nolan hung back on the edge of the gathered crowd along the white-cobbled street, gnawing contentedly on a roast chicken drumstick. He'd been in the area already, and came into town today to see the spectacle. He couldn't shake the vague feeling that something horribly inconvenient was going to happen, but then, he never could.

Cavelcade
2012-03-03, 06:46 PM
Kurt Loderr, Dwarf Barbarian

Kurt stands at the front of the crowd so he'll have a chance to see at all. Though people push against and around him, the current of the crowd can do no more to dislodge him than it would a boulder. He watches curiously, his caravan just having gotten into town before this started he was quite excited to get to see royalty even from behind a line of guards.

The joy of the festival is infecting him a little, he finds himself humming along atonally to the musicians nearby, even tapping his foot in time with it as he waits to see what happens.

Admiral
2012-03-03, 10:31 PM
Shiny Lightfoot, Gnome Beguiler

Shiny skips his way into the amassed crowd, grinning as he hears the delightful music. One of the problems of living in human society these last few years is that they are so dreadfully serious: they rarely celebrate anything. On the other hand, this extravagant parade would put to shame any of the celebrations in his home town of Burrowton.

"Though that's not worth a thing if I can't see anything," thinks Shiny. As a relatively tall gnome, he's too short to get a view of the procession over the heads of the people in front of him, and too tall to slip his way between them. Spotting a tall human near the front lines, he has an idea. As is usual for him, his idea involves his natural charm first, and, if that fails, 'charm person'.

He reaches up and taps the tall human. "Excuse me, sir?" he asks. "Shiny Chainhold, dragon trainer and barkeep! Is there any chance I could sit on your shoulders?"

Diplomacy check: 1d20+7=13 (http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=18832)

Irony
2012-03-04, 09:23 PM
Zeke Lyons, Human Wizard

A short, scrawny teenager in wizard's garb is shoved around in the crowd. A rather dispassionate and glazed over look creeps across his face; as if he were trying to do complex arithmetic in his head. What a day to end up here... thinks Zeke. Too many people. Too many livestock.

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-05, 05:59 PM
Unitus - Town Square

The tall man looks down at Shiny with an arched brow. "Do I know you?" He quickly turns away, if not because he does not wish it fulfill the gnome's request, but because the traditional fanfare has begun, signaling the departure of the royalty. The large wooden doors of the castle open and from the castle comes a fantastically-decorated carriage carried by two white horses with large, dark brown spots. The carriage is draped in Vaylindal's navy and indigo. From the front of the carriage, the king, queen, and princess can barely be made out. They are all dressed in their finest, which is saying quite a lot for royalty. The queen and princess are engage in a conversation, although the carriage is much too far away to make out any words. Azurella does not appear to be very happy with whatever is being said.

After much anticipation, the slow-moving cart approaches the line of citizens. By this time, the family has stopped whatever conversations they had been occupied with. They all smile: the king calm and composed, the queen rapidly waving her hand and making exaggerated faces of joy, and the young princess nervously sitting in the middle with her hands on her lap. She plays with the lace on the end of her pure white gloves as she grants a thin smile to the crowd. The source of her name is clear, as her small yet powerfully blue eyes match the hue of Lake Supreme behind her.

The roar of the crowd around you is immense, as each person eagerly tries to say their piece with the family. Town guards show a strong presence in holding citizens back. The carriage's procession is not far from its destination - the fountain at the town square's center where a small podium has been set up with Vaylindal's emblem emblazoned upon it.

Admiral
2012-03-05, 06:11 PM
Shiny Lightfoot, Gnome Beguiler

"You don't know me," thinks Shiny. "But you're about to!" He licks his lips, rubs his hands together, and, trusting the coming procession to distract the crowd, casts 'charm person' on his new acquaintance.

Will save, DC 1415 (Forgot my Spell Focus feat)

Cavelcade
2012-03-06, 08:09 AM

Even the stout dwarf is being buffeted by the crowd now, having to struggle to hold his place against the masses surging behind him, grinning at the guardsman in front of him as he tries to help him in holding the crowd back, while still trying to peer at the carriage. He's surprised to hear his own voice crying out with the others, cheering at such well loved royals more than anything else.

Sennex
2012-03-06, 01:28 PM
Nolan Saarbruck - Human Fighter

Nolan remained at the back of the crowd, finding it hard to get caught up in the excitement as he observed the carriage. The princess didn't look too happy to be there, from his perspective- maybe this meet and greet stuff got old after a while, though the crowd seemed to love it.

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-07, 12:48 AM
Unitus - Town Square

[roll0]

"I think you need to get out of here my friend." The tall man pats the gnome's head condescendingly. "Go scurry off now." He turns around to face the procession. The carriage has made its way to the large, flowing fountain. King Linder steps out first from the carriage. He wears his finest jewels and robes, the priceless crown, and a shimmering silver scepter. The queen and princess each leave the carriage as well, wearing flowing majestic dresses. Azurella wears a massive pink jewel on a necklace around her neck. The stone reflects light off in all directions and shines in the sun. Few have seen something more beautiful. The two women stand at the king's side as he takes the podium to address the crowd. He attempts to silence them but first revels in the overwhelming cheers.

King Linder stands in front of the podium proudly. He is a picture of strength. He grabs the podium with both hands firmly. Just as he is about to address his people when seven men burst from the crowd. They seem to appear out of nowhere. They are dressed in black and red garb over leather armor. Four of them dual-wield curved scimitars. The other three carry large axes in two hands. They emerge from the crowd into the middle of the road with ease.

Growling, the men begin to charge the podium. Several guardsmen fall out of line to protect the royal family, while the others stiffen their hold against the crowd. The crowd, which instantly erupted into an out-roar of cries and panic, begins to flee back into the city. One attacker points at Azurella and snarls to his group. "Get the girl!"

OOC: Roll for Initiative!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/HeftyLefty40/FirstEncounterTurn1Pic-1.png

As you'll notice, each dot represents a person. Black dots are random commoners, purple dots are town guards, red and black dots are attackers, indigo dots are the royal family, and the four dots are the party. For important people, I applied dots to their squares to identify them further to help in describing exactly who goes where and for tracking individual enemy hit points. When we get to encounters with smaller amounts of people, the battle maps will be much simpler.

Odd-numbered attackers wield greataxes, the even-numbered attackers dual-wield scimitars.

Indigo 1 is the King, Indigo 2 is the Queen, and Indigo 3 is the Princess.

Admiral
2012-03-07, 05:41 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Cavelcade
2012-03-07, 07:23 PM

Sennex
2012-03-07, 08:56 PM

Admiral
2012-03-12, 08:02 AM
"Just like that brawl in Celio Kay," thinks Shiny, as he readies his enchantment. He casts sleep, targeting the front few instigators.

Aiming at the spot 4 up and 3 to the right of me. 4 HD of creatures get a Will save DC 15.

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-12, 11:06 AM
OOC: The map has been edited to show people who are asleep. A white dot inside their figure represents that they are sleeping. http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/HeftyLefty40/FirstEncounterTurn2Pic.png

Cavelcade
2012-03-12, 04:33 PM

Gripping his waraxe in both hands, he hesitates, circling around to come at them from behind, trying to signal to one of the guards that he's on their side. "Damn fools! Leave these royals be!"

Sennex
2012-03-13, 12:58 AM
Nolan Saarbruck, Human Fighter

Oh, see, there we go.

Nolan's half-eaten chicken leg was tossed aside as he grabbed hold of his trusty flail, waving it high above his head to avoid hitting anyone who didn't deserve it. That did not include the fellow in red and black nearest him- he looked like he'd be a better citizen if he was a little less menacing. Nolan cast the heavy ball and chain around the man's legs, trying to trip him.

Making a trip attack with the heavy flail on the guy 2 down and 1 to the left of the magenta dot on the last map.
roll for touch attack: [roll0]
IF THAT SUCCEEDS, strength check to actually trip (opposed by strength or dexterity check from target): [roll1]

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-13, 02:52 PM
Unitus - Town Square

Townspeople scramble to evacuate the area. The air is filled with shrieks and panic. The royal family quickly ducks into the caravan it arrived in. A short human leaps atop a horse and looks for direction from a guard to drive the cart away.

Foe 1 attempt to resist trip - [roll0]

The attacker in black and red garb is completely distracted by the events on the cobblestone and is easily tripped. A guard behind Kurt slashes at another red and black warrior and brings him quickly to the ground. One attacker prone, one unconscious and bleeding, and three sleeping. The guards quickly surround the lone two men standing. "Lay your weapons down!" One guard yells from across the road. One attacker slashes at a guard with his greataxe, but the weapon simply bounces off the strong metal armor. The attacker quickly drops his weapon and gasps, "We surrender!"

"What!?" The last attacker looks to his left, exasperated. "How can you surren-" He begins to argue with his comrade as he looks behind him and finds five of his party grounded. He drops to his knees.

OOC: Wow. I expected you guys to win, but that was... impressive.

"Don't kill us!" The tripped man cries, face down, "Please don't kill me!"

"Who do you work for, prisoners?" The lone attacker still standing shudders at his new name. His partner on his knees feels the cold metal of shackles across his wrists.

"We don't know his name! We met him in the College!" The man's voice quivers. "Please don't kill us!"

"What'd this man look like?" The guard places a blade to the man's throat.

"A cloak!" He screams and spits out whatever first comes to his mind. His friends are woken up by guards and quickly put in shackles as well. "He was wearing a cloak! I, I could barely see his face. But he had a large gemstone around his neck. Just like her's!" He points to the princess, who had just emerged from the caravan with her parents. "Except it was white!"

The guards begin to conference together, and so does the family. The attackers-turned-prisoners, shackled together, nervously await their fate. Crowds of people slowly begin to come back to investigate the area.

Admiral
2012-03-13, 04:36 PM
Shiny watches guards arrest the sleeping attackers and delights in the surprised, disoriented expressions each exhibits upon waking. As many times as he's seen his enchantments cause chaos, the sight has never grown dull.

Shiny then turns his attention to the human fighter who had proven so resourceful with a flail. Tripping an opponent is just the kind of tactic Shiny appreciates.

Shiny skips up to the human and reaches out his hand. "Hello there! Shiny Lightfoot, interpretive dancer and ogre therapist! I was quite impressed with your handiwork!"

achinca
2012-03-13, 08:30 PM
Miriam was standing far from the procession, just getting glimpse of the royal family. "I am a farm girl at best and an ex-future widow at worst. I should not be dreaming about royalty." she thinks to herself.

Suddenly a group of men tries to attack the royal and before she can do anything a group of men intervene and stop them.

She rushes to the scene, thinking "That was impressive. There is still a lot of good in the realm. I should not forget Calric's teaching."

When she arrives at the scene of the fight, she raises her wooden holy symbol high and announces "I am Miriam Sunflower, Cleric of St. Cuthbert! Does anyone need healing?"

Cavelcade
2012-03-14, 10:04 AM

With a relieved sigh, Kurt's hands return to his sides from the haft of his greataxe as he goes to the nearest guardsmen, peering up at him curiously. "Well it seems you didn't need any help with these fools, after all."

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-16, 05:59 PM
OOC: Sorry bout the delay, guys. I've been busy/waiting for Sennex/thinking you guys would mingle. I'll push things along a bit.

Unitus - Town Square

After some deliberation, the King approaches the guards and the party of four assorted citizens. He is a startling height for a human. His presence is friendly yet intimidating. He thanks the guard, then looks to the four-person party and shakes each of your hands earnestly. "I must thank you for your bravery," he says with a deep, raspy voice. His eyes are a very light crystal blue shining in the light. His long white beard reminds the citizens of Unitus of snow, and dwarves of their home in the mountains. He reaches into his pocket and gives each of you a small red velvet sack with a fine golden drawstring containing twenty platinum pieces. "Citizens like you are the lifeblood of this city. Captain Rooney," he looks over to a guard with a special dark blue crest on his helmet and shoulder, "Send these men to the prisons. We'll need to do further some further interrogating of these men." He turns back to the four. "If I may, I would request the further service of you four. You've proven your strong blood to me. As you heard, they were hired by a man out of the College of Vystera. I do not know what they would want of my daughter. By the time I send men from my unit, those at the College will already been notified of my direction. I am asking the four of you to go now and investigate the claims of the prisoner's cloaked employer. I know it's not much to go off, but if you were to return from the College with information on the man, I will pay you handsomely. No sum of money is worth more than the knowledge of my daughter's safety."

Admiral
2012-03-16, 06:31 PM
Shiny claps his hands and bows deeply. "Your majesty!" he exclaims. "I assure you you have asked the right party. In the many years I have known these men and women, I have never known a more trustworthy group." He gestures to the three people he has barely even met. "You have here a pair of tough and hardy warriors, one dwarf and one human, a faithful and righteous cleric, and me: Shiny Greensleuth, detective and halfling-rights lawyer!"

He turns and beckons to the group to join him in accepting.

achinca
2012-03-16, 07:18 PM
Miriam looks at Shiny and shakes her head. She kneels in front of the king. "Your grace, I cannot accept the coins as the fight was already over when I arrived."

She points toward Shiny "You Grace, I also need to let you know that I do not know these 3 men who saved your life, contrary to the Halfling's affirmation. However, I would honored to do anything I can do to ensure that no evil or no harm is done to your daughter."

She stayed knelled with her head down.

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-16, 07:35 PM
Unitus - Town Square

"Honorable lady," the King smiles at Miriam, "Honesty is a long forgotten trait in this world. Please accept the coin as an advance on the payment for helping my family."

Admiral
2012-03-16, 08:54 PM
While it might not matter now that the good cleric has blown my cover :smallsmile:, bluff check:

[roll0]

Admiral
2012-03-16, 09:39 PM
"Ah, how silly of me," said Shiny, turning to Miriam. I must have mistaken you for Millicent, a cleric of Heironeous I once knew! Though by way of an excuse, your obvious generosity and faith already makes me feel like I've known you forever."

achinca
2012-03-17, 06:30 PM
Miriam raises her head to get the platinum pieces but makes sure that her eyes do not come in contact with the King's. "You are too generous Your Grace. I will make sure that this money is spent for Good.

She looks at Shinny. I am a priestess of St. Cuthbert, not Heironeous. And what do you mean by Hafling-lawyer?"

Admiral
2012-03-17, 07:11 PM
"Like I said, I was confusing you for someone else," Shiny utters good-naturedly. "And as important as the plight of the little people is (as I need not tell a cleric of St Cuthbert, considering all the wonderful things the church has done in this arena), we have no time for discourse, for the the safety of His Majesty's daughter is at stake!"

He spins towards the human and dwarf warriors. "Fellow travelers, let us make haste for the College!"

Cavelcade
2012-03-18, 04:06 PM
Kurt has remained silent after accepting the bag of coins with a stuttered thanks, overawed to be in the presence of a royal of such noble nature, to the point he doesn't even protest at the strange statement by the Gnome that they're well seasoned companions.

At the King's kind words to Miriam he feels heartened, sensing much honour in undertaking such a quest. Your majesty, I would be proud to find out why these scholars wanted your daughter. These brave guys will make fine companions.

achinca
2012-03-19, 09:29 AM
Miriam hears what Shiny says and smiles as she realizes the halfling-gnome is slick.

She looks at the human and dwarf warrior for confirmation and when the warrior named Kurt vouched for the lawyer, Miriam decides to go along.

"What do we know about this "College"?" she asks her companions. Then she turns toward the King. "Your Grace, if I am allowed to ask a question, is there something unique or special about that jewel? The men who tried to hurt the Princess have said that the man who hired them has a collar with a similar stone."

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-19, 06:01 PM
"Azurella's jewel is a heirloom that has been passed down through my bloodline for generations, since the end of the Last Great War," The King explains, "It's invaluable. But there's nothing special about the stone itself except its gold value and historical value to this community."

Admiral
2012-03-20, 01:44 AM
Knowledge: Local check to see what I know about the College: [roll0]

achinca
2012-03-20, 07:50 AM
Miriam thinks for a second about what the King just said. "May be there are more than just one set of these stones and evil needs them. I would advise, if Your Grace allows me, to ensure that the stone is protected and whoever is wearing it."

She looks at Shiny and the other two warriors and asks "Do you know anything about the war and the Stones?"

Cavelcade
2012-03-20, 08:46 AM
Kurt shakes his head in response to her question, still not regretting missing the hours of boring lessons that would have been involved in learning all about it. Maybe he can get a synopsis now? "That wasn't part of my education, Miss. What happened in it?

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-20, 12:51 PM
Before the king can respond, a decrepit halfling lurches from the royal caravan. His face is weathered and wrinkled. He is dressed in a light periwinkle robe, but he seems to be better fit in a dark shadowy cloak. "If it's the Vystera jewels you're inquiring about," his voice is light and whispery. You have to strain yourself to hear him clearly, "Everything you need to know is in the Shrine of Aquatos." The halfling then turns to the king. "Your majesty, if someone is after the jewels..." He looks over his shoulder at the four adventurers, "...we must discuss this in private." The king nods. "But what's most important is that we get someone to acquire the jewels first." The king nods again, then responds, "My new soldiers, you have heard my assistant. I believe your assignment has changed. Although be warned: the Shrine of Aquatos is designed to keep the locations of the jewels a secret. If you choose to help your nation and investigate, you will be putting yourselves in extreme danger. I will, of course, pay you much more for your patriotic duty. However I hope your decision is not made on gold alone - no amount of gold is worth a man's life."

achinca
2012-03-20, 01:16 PM
Miriam is taken back when the halfling royal adviser appears. She is lost when he mentions the Vystera Jewels and the shrine of Aquatos.

She looks at the other 3 group members "I am a little confused. Do we go to the College to find the Evil man or do we go gather the jewels or ...."

She stops talking when the King talks and when he is done she replies. "Your Grace, it is my duty to stop evil and right the wrongs. I speak for my group" she looks at Shiny before adding "when I say that we will go where ever you want us to go before it is the right thing to do. Gold has nothing to do. We would gladly do it just for the reward of doing the right thing. I am a farm girl. I am used to having little."

Cavelcade
2012-03-22, 09:06 AM
Frowning a bit at someone deciding to take charge just like that, Kurt nonetheless hesitates only a moment before bowing to the king. "As your majesty commands, I will obey. I will go to Aquatos.

Admiral
2012-03-22, 09:14 AM
"Why, Your Majesty," declares Shiny, "just point us in the right direction!"

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-22, 12:38 PM
Unitus - Town Square

Upon Shiny's request, the small aging halfling circles an area on your map.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/HeftyLefty40/WorldMarked.png

achinca
2012-03-22, 02:55 PM
Miriam looks at the aging halfling counselor.

"Maester, is there more you could tell in the privacy of a private meeting?"

She looks at the rest of her teammates. "How are we getting there? I do not have a horse. I am a simple girl who knows nothing."

Admiral
2012-03-22, 03:15 PM
Shiny chuckles. "I'm sure we could buy some mounts with our most recent rewards. To the stables!"

He spins around so eagerly he nearly topples over, and starts skipping in the direction of the town's marketplace.

I'd like to purchase a riding dog, one trained for combat. If I need to make a Gather Information check to find a good one, here it is: [roll0]

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-22, 07:06 PM
Unitus - Scromag's Speedy Steeds

After about fifteen minutes of asking, Shiny learns of a stable on the west side of town. A friendly-looking half-orc greets you with a handshake and shows his large stock of breeds. There are about seven horses of brown, gray, and white, two ponies, both brown, and four large dogs. The dogs, two grey and white huskies, two brown and black dogs of a similar build are play-fighting out front. Scromag offers his services at the following prices:

Heavy Warhorse - 450 gold
Light Warhorse - 200 gold
Warpony - 125 gold
Riding Dog - 200 gold

Saddles:
- Military - 30 gold
- Pack - 10 gold
- Riding - 15 gold

Cart - 20 gold
Animal Feed - 5 copper/animal/day

Admiral
2012-03-22, 07:52 PM

After about fifteen minutes of asking, Shiny learns of a stable on the west side of town. A friendly-looking half-orc greets you with a handshake and shows his large stock of breeds. There are about seven horses of brown, gray, and white, two ponies, both brown, and four large dogs. The dogs, two grey and white huskies, two brown and black dogs of a similar build are play-fighting out front. Scromag offers his services at the following prices:

Heavy Warhorse - 450 gold
Light Warhorse - 200 gold
Warpony - 125 gold
Riding Dog - 200 gold

Saddles:
- Military - 30 gold
- Pack - 10 gold
- Riding - 15 gold

Cart - 20 gold
Animal Feed - 5 copper/animal/day

Shiny discovers that even with the king's reward, he falls a bit shy of affording the dog and saddle. "I'm on a mission for the crown," thinks Shiny, "surely no one would begrudge me getting the old 'friend's discount.'"

Shiny waits until Scromag's back is turned, such that the half-orc can't see what he's casting, and takes a wide look around for any other witnesses. (just in case the spell fails). He then whips a quick charm person at the breeder.

Will Save 15

achinca
2012-03-23, 08:31 AM
Miriam looks at the half-orc and then her companions. Her hand goes to the 20PP she just got from the king.

She starts shaking her head "I do not believe that the price we are being quoted are fair. I am a farm girl who know nothing but a light war horse market price is usually around 150. However, it could be that things are more expensive in the city. Would you have any regular horses?"

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-23, 02:46 PM
OOC: Since he has not posted in ten days or responded to my PMs, I am now opening up *another* recruitment thread for a new party member. We're dropping like flies! :smalleek:

[roll0]

The orc's eyes widen. "For the crown, you say!?" He opens his arms out wide. "Then of course, yes, yes, I'll see what I can do. Let's see... I can give you my best dog here, Magnus, for 100 gold. Anything for the crown!" At the sound of its name, Magnus comes running with a spring in its step. A small pink tongue hangs from its silver face. Its eyes are a startling light blue. "And for you, m'lday," the orc continues, looking at Miriam, "I can give you this light warhorse for 150. What do you say?" Scromag points to a chestnut horse in the stables. "Just because you caught me in a good mood."

achinca
2012-03-23, 03:09 PM
Not aware of Shiny's little trick, Miriam thanks the half-orc.

"well, kind Sir, it is honorable thing to do. I will also take a riding saddle."

She gives 185 gold pieces to the merchant.

"What is the horse name?"

OOC
Character sheet updated.

I will never understood why people will spend time and energy build a character and a background and quit a game after a week .....

Admiral
2012-03-23, 03:21 PM
"The Crown thanks you for this favor!" says Shiny, clasping Scromag's hands. He hands over 12 platinum pieces in exchange for Magnus, a riding saddle, and 60 days worth of animal feed (though he'll need someone a bit stronger to carry it).

As soon as he is acquainted with Magnus, he beckons Miriam to make haste. They have one hour before the spell wears off, at which point the half-orc may well start chasing after them with a dozen of his closest friends. Miriam might not be aware of the danger, but Shiny is all too used to facing this time limit.

Cavelcade
2012-03-24, 05:54 PM
"Hm, I would like to buy one of them as well. The warpony, that is, not the horse. Much too big and...urgh." The normally stoic dwarf shivers a bit before looking carefully away from the horses. "Yes, a pony and saddle to serve the King."

He watches the Gnome at work, trying to figure out how it he seems to manage to get things to work out for him just so, his seeming unending confidence and charm baffling the dwarf, though he's glad to have someone on the trip who can do the talking instead of him.

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-24, 07:59 PM

Kurt manages to work the orc down to 75 gold for the warpony. The three party members committed to the journey are ready to set forth. It is about two hours past midday, and the trip to the Shrine will surely take more than one full day.

Admiral
2012-03-24, 08:17 PM
"Well, what are you waiting for, my fine companions?" exclams the gnome. "Off we go!"

Before we leave, I want to buy at least a few day's worth of provisions for each of us (I'm sure it's cheap enough that it hardly needs to be counted) and then spend another 2 platinum on a rapier.

Assuming the others follow him south towards the Shrine, he starts to entertain them with his life story. Since Miriam had expressed interest in his profession as a "halfling-rights lawyer," he tells them stories of the halflings' tragedy and oppression in the West, including the wrongful arrest of Suri Shortlove, the noble sacrifice of Gordon Gallantheart, and the fantastic trial of Tagg Trundlewood. Every last word he spins is fiction; the names he uses come from a particularly dirty ballad he once heard a halfling bard sing in a tavern.

If anyone tries to see if I'm making it up, Bluff check: [roll0]

achinca
2012-03-26, 08:26 AM
Miriam listens to Shiny and his stories of foreign lands and strange heroes and injustices.

However, after a while the novelty wears off and she wonders if Shiny is making things up. She tries to sense his motives.

Sense Motive Roll:
[roll0]

achinca
2012-03-26, 08:27 AM
She looks at Shiny with a stern look in her eyes.

"gnome, why are you lying and making up stories? Are you hiding something?"

Admiral
2012-03-26, 11:40 AM
Shiny shrugs and smiles. "Ah, Miriam, you've found me out. I'll tell you the truth, and surely you'll see why I felt I had to hide my identity." Shiny takes a careful look up and down the road, and lowers his voice.

"The truth is that I am, in fact, Shiny Scalebane, do-gooder and former puppeteer. Perhaps you've heard of the Karseels, the infamous lizardfolk crime family, who have terrorized the countryside with their extortion, racketeering and murder. We Scalebanes have for many generations been sworn to oppose their evil agendas. When the Karseels found our hideout, they tried to massacre us, and my family barely escaped."

Shiny pauses for a moment to wipe a tear from his eye and catch his breath. "We each went on the run, each taking a false name to throw them off our trail, for even now do they hunt us. I am now adventuring to obtain the necessary resources to return to my homeland and rid it of the evil Karseels once and for all!"

Obviously this is equally fictitious. Bluff check: [roll0]

achinca
2012-03-26, 12:06 PM
Miriam looks at the talking gnome, unsure if he is making things up or telling the truth.

Sense Motive:
[roll0]
DM, do I get a bonus considering he was already caught once lying?

Cavelcade
2012-03-28, 06:12 AM
Kurt stares at the gnome suspiciously as well at this stage. "I agree, I don't understand why you'd lie to us after we all saved the princess." Having walked along in silence for most of the way, he's been wondering if there's something...crazy about this gnome, who seems to insist on chattering all the time. He's certainly suspicious.

[roll0]

Admiral
2012-03-28, 03:58 PM
Shiny looks deep hurt. "I thought that I had found companions of character, not more humans and dwarves who would judge me only on my race. Oh, I've heard the malicious stories- "those lying gnomes, all they do is steal and deceive"- but I'd thought that a righteous cleric and a stouthearted warrior would have no such prejudice..."

He lapses into a rare silence and continues walking.

If appropriate, a Diplomacy check: [roll0]

Hefty Lefty
2012-03-28, 05:43 PM
Vaylindal - Countryside

The small crew continues peacefully. The ground beneath your steeds' hooves or feet slowly changes from a white cobblestone road to a worn dirt trail. The cityscape turn to endless wheat fields. A white picket fence guards the farm. As you walk, you can only imagine how long the project must have taken to cover either side of the acres-long road in fencing. In hours, the end of the wheat fields finally arrives, met by the beginning of a dense forest. You finally reach the forest right as night is about to fall.

achinca
2012-03-28, 07:45 PM
Miriam looks at the forest and at her companions. "I am a farm girl who knows nothing but I think it would be a good idea to rest the horse and enter the forest during the day"

She pets her horse "The seller never told me your name so I will call you Thunder."

"If we decide to camp here, I will take the first watch. I need to make sure I am rested and can pray to have my God St. Cuthbert bless me with some divine magic."

Admiral
2012-03-29, 08:55 AM
Miriam looks at the forest and at her companions. "I am a farm girl who knows nothing but I think it would be a good idea to rest the horse and enter the forest during the day"

She pets her horse "The seller never told me your name so I will call you Thunder."

"If we decide to camp here, I will take the first watch. I need to make sure I am rested and can pray to have my God St. Cuthbert bless me with some divine magic."

"Sounds like a plan!" exclaims Shiny, any trace of earlier conflict gone. He hooks up Magnus to a tree, finds a good spot where he'd be hard to see from a distance, and stretches for the night's rest.

Cavelcade
2012-03-30, 08:24 AM
Kurt nods in agreement with them. "Indeed. We can prove our worth to each other by keeping a good watch tonight." Hopping off his pony, he ties it to a tree and goes through the tedious process of making his little camp, grooming the pony, fixing up his tent and helping the others with theirs.

achinca
2012-03-30, 11:48 AM
Miriam is thankful to Kurt for helping her set the tent.

After brushing and feeding Thunder, her horse, she shares her meal with her new companions.

When it is time to retire and rest, she will take the first shift. If it goes without problem, she will then wake up Kurt.

Cavelcade
2012-04-02, 07:26 AM
Kurt brushes aside her thanks with an awkward murmur that it was nothing at all, before clearing his throat and properly acknowledging thanks as he'd been thought to do. He didn't do well with any sort of praise, even as small as a thank you.

"Get some rest, then, I'll wake you when you need to take the watch. I doubt there'll be any trouble but I can yell pretty loudly when I need to."

achinca
2012-04-02, 01:03 PM
"Thank you kind dwarf for taking first shift."

Miriam goes inside her tent, says her prayers and go to sleep.

Cavelcade
2012-04-04, 08:07 AM
Kurt sets himself to keeping alert through his watch, patrolling the edge of the camp regularly, keeping away from the fire so it doesn't blind him.

I couldn't remember whether or not you're doing passive rolls so here is listen and spot, respectively.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-04, 08:59 AM
OOC: The rolls are good, if you had forgotten I would have rolled for you.

Vaylindal - Countryside

The party falls asleep, all except Kurt, who finds nothing of interest in the first hour of searching. However, just barely over the tips of some trees, he makes out among the clouds a plume of smoke about seventy yards to the east.

achinca
2012-04-04, 01:22 PM
Miriam is sleeping soundly, dreaming of a better with Calric at her side, healing sick farmers and delivering babies.

Cavelcade
2012-04-06, 01:12 AM
Kurt frowns in that direction for a few moments, trying to decide whether or not it's just another cloud or not. As soon as he's certain it's not, he turns and starts yelling, going from one tent to the other.

"Wake up! Wake up the two of you there's a fire not far off!" He goes to each tent, yelling into them if they're not awake.

Admiral
2012-04-06, 01:29 AM
Shiny has always been quick to wake, and he's on his feet by the time Kurt finishes his sentence, almost firing an enchantment in Kurt's direction out of reflex.

Once he hears Kurt's exclamations and sees the smoke for himself, he relaxes. "Now, you had me worried for a moment!" he says, slapping Kurt on the back. "What's a little smoke?"

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-06, 09:42 AM
Vaylindal - Countryside

Shiny, despite only barely opening his eyes, quickly spots a robed human woman watching them through the bushes. Almost as soon as he sees her, she ducks into the leaves.

Admiral
2012-04-06, 10:04 AM
Shiny recalls how startled the dwarf had been at the sight of the smoke. "Don't panic, Kurt," he says quietly, "but we're not alone."

He flashes a wide grin as he turns away from Kurt. "Hello there, friend!" he shouts into the bushes. "Why don't you come out and introduce yourself?"

"Whoever she is," he whispers out of the side of his mouth, "we want her out in the open."

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-06, 11:43 AM
As soon as Shiny beckons her, the woman steps out from the bushes. "It's okay, don't panic. My friend and I are staying there." She pointed in the direction she had just come from. "I saw your fire and wanted to know who was out there. We mean no harm."

Admiral
2012-04-06, 11:52 AM
"I'm sure you don't, my lady!" says Shiny cheerfully. He takes a very deep bow. "Please allow me to introduce myself! I am Shiny Windwire, theoretical alchemist and lute craftsman! I'm afraid you're mistaken, though- that fire is not ours."

achinca
2012-04-06, 12:56 PM
Miriam gets up and comes out of the tent.

As she sees the situation unfolding, she approaches the woman, slightly pushing Shiny aside. "I am Miriam, servant of St. Cuthbert. Don't mind our gnome, he is an halfling lawyer".

She extends her hand while the other hold her holy symbol.

Cavelcade
2012-04-06, 05:49 PM
Kurt chuckles at that, surprised to hear Miriam repeat what Shiny had told them even though she now knew him for a trickster. Maybe she didn't mind and in any case, he wasn't going to be the one to spoil it. Uneasily hefting his axe he eyes the newcomer warily, before setting the haft of the axe on the ground, his hands resting on top of it so he at least doesn't look like he'll go on a killing spree right that moment.

"I am Kurt Loderr, a fighter. And Shiny you must be blind, I've kept the embers going in the fire even now. Tis nice to have some warmth."

Athedia
2012-04-06, 06:03 PM
Mithril- Human Wizard

"Halfling Lawyer? Odd profession but someone has to do it." Mithril wrinkled her forehead. Realizing she should tell the people who she was she continued "I am Mithril and my friend and I came from the city just now. We were afraid of being stuck there after they closed the gates."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-06, 06:07 PM
Natalia Bolts, Human Rogue

After observing the scene, Natalia steps out of the shadows. Whiskers hops off her shoulder and runs to her master. Natalia is holding her rapier in her left hand in a defensive stance--she won't attack first, but she's prepared to defend herself if necessary.

(The three others see a somewhat short and skinny girl with pale skin and stringy black hair tied back in a rough ponytail with a blue ribbon stand before you with a rapier in her left hand, drawn in a defensive stance. She is wearing a leather jacket over her clothes, cut up in the front and flaring out slightly in the back (it's hard to describe), and her pants are tucked into well-worn boots. Her jewelry is simple: a rope necklace with a single smooth black stone and what appears to be a very thinly carved copper bracelet on her left wrist, which goes quite far up her forearm.)

Admiral
2012-04-06, 10:09 PM
Shiny smiles when he sees Natalie walk out. "Come sit down! You have nothing to fear from us. We're on a diplomatic mission for the crown, making contact with some elves in the forest just south of here."

He spins around to set up the area around the campfire for his visitors and as he does, he whispers urgently to his two companions- Can't trust them yet- say nothing of the Jewels."

Admiral
2012-04-06, 10:10 PM
(Who and what is Whiskers?)

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-06, 10:15 PM

Natalia glances warily at the gnome and crouches to the ground next to Mithril, still holding her rapier and ready to spring up at a moment's notice. Something doesn't sit quite right with the gnome's story, and as she looks upon the human and dwarf he is traveling with, she figures it out.

"If you're...diplomatic...then why no elves?"

Admiral
2012-04-06, 10:17 PM
"If the crown were already friends with the elves, we wouldn't need a diplomatic mission, now, would we?" says Shiny, winking. "But why talk of politics and race when we have food to share!"

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-06, 10:25 PM

She shakes her head in frustration; he just couldn't understand what she was trying to say. Taking a deep breath, Natalia tries again, pointing at each of them in turn and forcing out the words she wants to say through the myriad jumble of half-sentences and thoughts.

"Gnome. Human. Dwarf. Where's the elf?"

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-06, 10:52 PM

Oh, right. You had to introduce yourself. That made you seem less...less...Nuts.

"Natalia," she says as she points to herself. "And you?"

(And yes, Natalia's nickname is Nuts. Hopefully it should be rapidly becoming clear why.)

Athedia
2012-04-06, 11:16 PM
Mithril

"Forgive my friend, she can be a little hard to understand sometimes. We are simply traveling to a village around here. There was an attack in the city this afternoon and we did not want to be stuck inside. Did you hear of it?" Mithril wondered if these people were on a diplomatic mission, they seemed an odd bunch with little experience talking to nobility. Still wary she tried to appear calm. Picking up Whiskers she set him on her shoulder whispering into his ear"Good boy, everything is okay."

Admiral
2012-04-06, 11:21 PM
"Nice to meet you, Natalia! I'm Shiny Hawkeye, archer and hippogriff butcher.

"In answer to your question- while the kingdom has many allegiances, none in the royal circle of trust are of elven descent. The king seeks to remedy this by sending us, a humble band of servants to the crown, to establish diplomatic relations with the wood elves who live a few days south of here."

Shiny then turns to Mithril. "I must admit our knowledge and indeed our involvement. We were among those loyal citizens who resisted the attackers and brought them to justice."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-06, 11:27 PM

Natalia's eyes widen. "That's amazing...and...now traveling to warn them?" She turns to Mithril. "Would they know about, or have..." Natalia points to the stone necklace around her neck and mimes that it's a much larger and more valuable stone instead...perhaps a jewel...

Athedia
2012-04-06, 11:29 PM
"Theoretical alchemist, lute craftsman, halfling lawyer, archer and hippogriff butcher? Either you are a man of many talents and names Mr. Windwire Hawkeye or I have some trouble believing what you say." Mithril was amused by the gnome in front of her, he sounded just like her brothers, never sticking with the same story.

Admiral
2012-04-06, 11:30 PM
If Shiny knows what Natalia is referring to, he doesn't show it. "Why, no, not to warn them- our diplomatic mission has been planned for some time, and is unrelated to the attack. And whatever do you mean about your necklace?"

Admiral
2012-04-06, 11:33 PM
Shiny smiles back at Mithril. "While I like to think I have a few talents, I don't think I ever said such things (a lute craftsman, indeed?) But if there has been a mistake I am sure that it was mine!"

"Anyway, we know you were traveling from the city, but where to?"

Athedia
Mithril shakes her head at Natalia, "She thought she saw a necklace like hers during the attack in the city, but nicer. All she wants to know is if you saw the vendor leave the city around the same time you did."

CoffeeIncluded

He shifts too much, the gnome. Natalia isn't sure she likes him much. She glances at Mithril, then the other three people. "Why attack the princess? Then? There?" It had been bothering her all day, and maybe now she'd get some answers.

(And I'm off to bed.)

Athedia
2012-04-06, 11:39 PM
"A village, two days off. Natalia knows the location, I believe she may know someone there. I just wanted to explore outside the gates for once, there is so much to learn out here. You say you are traveling to the Elves lands? Do you need a translator, I speak the language." She looked at the group, wary of their actual reason for being out here. The gnome had made her want to learn more of their actual objectives.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-07, 07:45 AM

She nods and says, "Me too." Then Natalia leans close to Mithril and whispers, "Elves may know something...Would these?" She doesn't believe a word Shiny the too-shiny gnome says, but elves live a long time and they may be a good place to find out more. At least, that's where Natalia's train of thought leaves. The actual process is much more...tangled.

achinca
2012-04-07, 10:30 AM
Miriam listens to the conversation between Shiny and the two woman before stepping in.

"Natalia, Mithril, please pay little attention to what Shiny say. Half of it is around and the other half is invented. It is an entertaining show but trying to keep up of all Shiny's fake stories will drive you insane."

She stops and hesitate before adding "We have no business with the elves as you have easily figure out. We are in a mission for the crowd related to today's attack on Our Grace. There is interest in the jewel that the Princess was wearing. We are just trying to figure out what is so special about them .... "

She stops and looks at the two women with a big friendly smile .....

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-07, 12:50 PM

Natalia nods. "Masks on masks, until you suffocate." At Miriam's second statement, she yelps, then turns to Mithril and practically shouts, "Blue princess dragon gem!"

achinca
2012-04-07, 12:55 PM
Miriam is confused about the first statement and she hears the second statement shouted, she looks at Natalia then Mithril.

"What do you mean? What do you know? What side are you on?"

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-07, 01:00 PM

Natalia starts to blurt out random words at the sudden interrogation. Pointing to Mithril, she finally manages to say, "Don't know...She told...Keys! The jewels are keys?"

Athedia
2012-04-07, 04:28 PM
"Its a legend from a book I read, the Vystera Jewels are the keys to a dragon's prison. They were hidden in crypts of their own to prevent the dragon from ever escaping. I was just wondering why a secret key that was supposed to be hidden where no-one could find it was around the princesses neck. It just doesn't seem as safe." Mithril realized that she was starting to get used to Natalia's speech idiosyncrasies. Miriam looked trustworthy, she had read of clerics before and although mystified as to how they worked she respected them.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-07, 04:55 PM

Natalia grins at Mithril's statement. Or rather, the fact that she understood what the rogue was trying to say. And Natalia had mostly figured why the jewel was so visible, and why they were scattered. At least, she hoped she did. It was something she would do in a trap, after all. "...Disguises. Redundancies," she explains. "Hide on the door, not in the dungeon. Break one bond, the bridge still holds."

achinca
2012-04-07, 05:17 PM
Miriam tries to make sense of Natalia speech but she shakes her head as she cannot really understand it.

Mithril is easier to understand. "So the jewels are keeping a dragon prisoner? Why would someone would be trying to free it. That is why she was attacked. To get the jewel. Tell me more about that dragon and prison."

She looks at the two women. "Feel free to share my tent if you do not have one. I am next on the watch once Kurt needs to rest."

Athedia
2012-04-07, 05:54 PM
Mithril realized she had left her pack back at her original campsite. She did not want to leave it there, who knows who would find it."I believe my pack is still at our campsite, along with my bedroll. I was so pre-occupied with finding out who you where that I did not take it with me. Would someone walk back with me to get it? I would go alone but we are rather close to the forest."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-07, 06:43 PM

She rises to her feet. "Won't go far." (It's only a couple minutes away).

As they walk, Natalia says, "...You're a wizard." It's dark out, but her expression is one of respect and longing.

Athedia
2012-04-07, 07:18 PM
"Of course I am. What other excuse would I have for spending most of my time in libraries. Its not all people say, I had to work for a year before I figured out how to cast a simple spell without something going wrong. What did you think I was?" As they reached the campsite Mithril rolled up her bedroll and stowed it in her pack, after making sure everything was still there. "Lets head back now, don't want them to worry. Trust me, sometimes I think it was more work then gain."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-07, 07:49 PM

Natalia wrings her hands, then hunches over with folded arms. "...They never let me tinker with the world. 'Touched in the head to start, and you want to let Nuts learn spells?'"

...Snared rabbits, but never spellbooks."

Admiral
2012-04-07, 07:53 PM
As soon as Mithril and Natalia are out of earshot, Shiny turns to his allies. ""So I'm sure we're all thinking the same thing- why are they asking all these questions about the jewels? So what do you think- new friends, or dangerous villains in league with this morning's attackers? I could put them to sleep and tie them up if we have to."

Athedia
2012-04-07, 07:56 PM
"Nuts? Whose nuts? A squirrels? Mithril saw the look on Natalia's face, and tried to make her feel better. Playing with magic can't feed me out here, you have more skills in that. I am useless if I can't survive, you can still tinker and notice things."

Realizing they would be within earshot of the other people soon she hurriedly whispered "I don't know if these people were really sent by the king, they lied to us at first and may still be. It may be best if we didn't mention the Jewels until we know that they aren't in league with the people who attacked the princess."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-07, 08:04 PM

A faint smile appears on her face. "May be Nuts, but I'm not nuts. Could you...teach me?"

When Mithril whispers, Natalia whispers back, "Cat's already out, walking about."

(OOC: This is why Natalia has no points in Use Magic Device to start with.)

Athedia
2012-04-07, 08:14 PM
"The fewer cats the better, let them think that we don't have any more interest in it. I don't know about teaching, I just mastered the basics a few years ago, I could try." As Mithril drew near the campfire she held up her pack "It was just as I left it. I guess I worry over nothing." Pulling out her bedroll she prepared her bed again."Lets try this again shall we." she muttered as she settled down into the bed, Whiskers settling down on her pack.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-07, 08:17 PM

Natalia nods, says, "Won't hurt you," to the other three, and after a while falls asleep, her left hand still grasping the rapier in case she needs to wake up quickly.

achinca
2012-04-07, 09:53 PM
Miriam is ready to go walk with the other two women but by the time she puts her armor on, the women already left. She looks at Kurt and Shiny with a sad face.

When Shiny questions which side they are on, she shakes her head. "They are not on the bad side. If they were following us, they did a terrible job being discrete. I think that they might be two adventuring friends with a taste for jewels."

She stops and asks Kurt "Is it my shift time?"

Cavelcade
2012-04-08, 07:22 PM
Kurt had been dead silent after introducing himself, shifting from foot to foot as the conversation had gone on, anxious about the lies being told and then even more anxious when Miriam states the truth right out. Only once they're gone does he relax enough to speak again.

"I think we should be wary of them but it'll be easier if they're under our nose than...who knows where."

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-08, 09:56 PM
Vaylindal - Countryside

The night quickly creeps up on the new group of five. They rotate through shifts throughout the night. At about midnight, Natalia hears two wolves howling at each other. Small animals race around on dry leaves throughout the night. Nothing intimidating - in the light that is - when the sun is down, every noise is a lethal threat. The party rests well despite the distractions, and soon the morning is upon them. Dew soaks the grass and the familiar hum of dragonflies and other flying bugs fills the air. The scary wolves are replaced with tranquil chirping birds. The new day has officially begun, and it is a beautiful, bright day. Not a cloud in the sky.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-08, 10:00 PM

Natalia sits up slowly. She yawns, stretches, then looks at Mithril and the other woman sleeping next to her and remembers where she is. She waits a few minutes longer, tasting the new day's air, then whispers, "Mithril."

Athedia
2012-04-08, 10:08 PM
"Hmm?" Mithril sits up groggy. Looking around she realizes it is morning. She realized that it was Natalia who had woken her. "What is it Natalia?" Looking around for a comfortable spot, she looks through her bag for her spellbook, ready to meditate as soon as she could. She would have to adjust her normal spell list, the woods where no place for mending.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-08, 10:15 PM

"Slept in the lions den, woke with the cubs. ...Should we discuss cats?"

Whatever Natalia was going to say next is lost when she sees Mithril take out her spellbook. The rogue's eyes light up and she shuffles over closer, peering over Mithril's shoulder at the arcane writing. Her intent is obvious.

Athedia
2012-04-08, 10:19 PM
Mithril smiles at the girls interest. "You can watch but I need to concentrate for a bit. The big downside to knowing magic is having to prepare it each day. Just stay quite, you can ask questions when I am finished." She opened her spellbook and sat cross-legged on her bedroll. Turning to the pages she wanted she stared at the symbols, reaching into her mind to unlock their meaning. This ritual had pre-occupied her mornings for years, it was as natural to her as yawning.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-08, 10:24 PM

It was like her and her designs. Natalia could get completely absorbed in a particularly intricate device or cunning trap, and only realize how much time had passed when she looked up from her drawings and saw that the sun had already started to set.

She stares at the different spells, seeing if there's anything that she can piece together on her own, even though she has no magical training, even though in her hometown the thought of Nuts with magic was terrifying enough that she barely saw a potion, much less a scroll.

Decipher Script: [roll0] (EDIT: Woah, nice!)

Admiral
2012-04-08, 11:41 PM
Shiny awakes the way he always does: by bouncing to his feet with a grin. He looks over at the wizard studying her spellbook. He'd known a number of gnome wizards, but the life had never appealed to him- all solemn tutelage and study. Besides, he'd mastered his magic without the need to carry a hefty tome around.

"Now, who is still asleep? Let's start with the dwarf." He nearly pounces onto Kurt, shaking him gently but enthusiastically. "Up and at 'em, soldier!"

Cavelcade
2012-04-09, 06:52 AM
Kurt blinks and rolls awake at the shoving, up and at attention in a moment's notice, blinking at the light and having to think for a moment to realise where he actually was. He laughs when he does, patting the gnome on the shoulder.

"Did you ever have to train fighters, Shiny? Maybe you're a bit too gentle for one but that's how mine would wake me, when he was in a good mood."

achinca
2012-04-09, 08:34 AM
Miriam awakes and she first surprised to see Natalia and Mithril the remember last night.

"Good morning ladies ..... May St Cuthbert bless your day"

She gets up and go find a place apart where she will go and pray.

When she returns, her eyes are puffy and dried tears are on her cheeks but she a strong smile on her face.

"This is a beautiful day to bring goodness to the realm ...."

Admiral
2012-04-09, 09:00 AM
Shiny nods at Kurt's observation. Your senses serve you well. You're speaking to Shiny Bladescholar, tutor of the greatest soldiers, gladiators and duellists of our age. And amateur rock climber."

He steps back and starts his morning stretches. When Miriam returns from her prayer, he springs again to his feet. "Strongmen, scoundrels, masters of the arcane and divine! Let us march!"

achinca
2012-04-09, 09:27 AM
Miriam smiles at the gnome.

Also she does not approve of his constant fabrication, she really enjoyed his positive attitude.

"So Halfling Lawyer! Lead the way!"

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-09, 10:09 AM

Natalia all but tunes out the conversation outside as she tries to decipher the spells. Just when it seems that every single one has eluded her, a few fragments of one spell suddenly, possibly, become clear. She points to the page and says, "Rope?"

Athedia
2012-04-09, 10:17 AM
"So loud." Mithril grumbles as she closes her spellbook. She had managed to find some useful spell for the day. Packing up her bedroll, she places it on her shoulders. She looked around to see Whiskers trying to push her quarterstaff toward her. Picking them both up she laughed, "I didn't forget it, but Whiskers you are far to small to move that." Whiskers scrambled into his usual place on her shoulder. As she stood up she turned to Miriam "Thank you for your blessing."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-09, 10:20 AM

Natalia also nods with a small smile. As they leave the tent (and yes, Natalia has all her stuff), she turns to Mithril and says, "One's rope, but the others...how?"

achinca
2012-04-09, 10:32 AM
Miriam folds the tent in her backpack.

"So Mithril, are you teaching magic to Natalia? I have never seen such a young teacher ....."

Athedia
2012-04-09, 10:53 AM
Talking to Miriam, Mithril explained"I tutored children in the city, but I don't know about teaching magic. Natalia here is free to attempt to learn though it does take a while. I don't quite know how, I learned to read the signs and they just make sense. It feels like the spells were inside me the whole time, I just have to free them."

She looked toward the forest. It seemed less scary in the light of day, but she was still glad she would have company before entering it.

achinca
2012-04-09, 10:57 AM
Miriam smiles .... "I get my magic through my prayers. St. Cuthbert listens and gives me some divine magic to spread goodness and justice ....."

Looking at the rest of the group .....

"Are we all ready to enter the forest? May be Natalia should go first. I will close the marching order if needed."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-09, 11:03 AM

"Never let Nuts around spells, too scared she'd pick them apart..." She trails off. "...Want to unweave magic, not just metal." She looks at the rest of the group, then Mithril. "Part of the pack...but haven't counted all the cats. Still disposable."

Natalia wrings her hands at Miriam's suggestion. She may be swift but she's not that durable and she knows it. But she doesn't know how to ask if someone a bit more sturdy can march alongside her, and even if she did they still don't have full reason to trust her. She understands that they'd rather lose one of the newcomers than one of their own.

(Natalia will march in front if she has to, but we'd both feel a bit more comfortable with Kurt, the most durable, alongside her.)

Admiral
2012-04-09, 11:09 AM
"Muscleman to the front, holywoman to the back, troublemakers to the center!" declares Shiny decisively. He's not really a natural leader, but he is a natural talker.

Athedia
2012-04-09, 11:11 AM
"I see you include yourself in the troublemakers section." Mithril is amusing by the gnomes cheerful speech, now she knew he tended to bend the truth into knots she was starting to appreciate him.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-09, 11:19 AM

"Tricky masks and late arrivals. Yes." She slips into the middle of the party right behind Kurt and ahead of Mithril and Shiny. As she walks, a thought crosses her mind. "Rope," she mutters to herself as she indeed takes the silk rope out of her bag. AS they walk she creates a noose-like know that tightens either when pulled or when a creature caught in the noose strains against the rope, making it doubly difficult to escape. Satisfied, she puts away the rope such that she can pull it out instantly if need be, with the knot intact.

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-09, 01:06 PM
Vaylindal - Forest

The party marches through the woods, some on horseback, others on foot. The musclemen lead the way through the dense trees. Leaves and branches crunch underneath. Some of the shorter members of the party have to take tall steps to make it over a few very large roots. These trees are decades, maybe centuries old, and show it in their girth. After about two hours of walking, the team comes across a wide flowing river. The water runs very quickly. The party continues walking alongside the river and watch as it leaps off a massive waterfall. Flowers and plant-life around the catching pool of the falls create a picturesque view of the forest. Perhaps more beautiful is that the company is now within the map's marked area.

Admiral
2012-04-09, 01:14 PM
"Let's stick together and search for the Shrine," says Shiny. Since Miriam insists on filling in the newcomers about the jewels, he's dropped any charade about a diplomatic mission, though he'll keep an eye on the two.

I'm guessing we'll take 20 if we can on searching for the Shrine of Aquatos. If we can't, here's my Search roll: [roll0]

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-09, 01:19 PM
"Old land," she says. Yet even with its age, the forest felt as green and alive as it looked. She wondered how long this shrine had been around, whether it moved in time with the forest.

(I don't have a lot of time to post. Take 20 on search for 28, or [roll0] if we're not allowed for whatever reason.)

She savors the search, tasting the fresh air, feeling the soft squishy bundles of moss, running her fingers along jagged bark and in the cool rushing stream.

achinca
2012-04-09, 01:26 PM
Miriam follows the group in silence. She is fascinated by the old trees and the serenity they give.

When Natalia and Shiny starts looking, she asks innocently "Any idea what we are looking for looks like?"

She looks around to see if anything out of the ordinary pricks up her eyes.

Spot Roll: [roll0]

OOC: The natural beauty of the area is blinding Miriam :)

Athedia
2012-04-09, 02:44 PM
"Let me think, I may have read about a shrine around here before. Mithril looked around for anything that looked vaguely shrine-like as she thought.

Knowledge Check (History) [roll0]
Spot Check [roll1]
OOC: So Mithril is blinded and deafened by the nature beauty

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-09, 03:18 PM
Dark browns and dappled greens blend into clear blue. The soft reeds on the riverbank melt into the shallow water, mist hangs over the rushing waterfall. While continuing to search, Natalia looks around to see what can catch her eye through the patchwork light filtering through the trees, and what sounds carry over the roaring water.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Search: Still taking 20 for a 28.

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-09, 11:01 PM
OOC: Taking 20 was a fine idea.

Vaylindal - Forest

The party investigates a one-half square mile area in for two hours. They turn over boulders, climb up and down the hillside, and investigate the largest trees and bushes. There isn't much to search through, which is frustrating. The young wizard looks with the party for about an hour before digging through her bag for anything on the shrine. She pours through three books coming to a realization. "Aquatos. Aqua. Water!" She slaps herself on the forehead and mumbles "You've got to be kidding me." She groans, then continues, "Search the water, people!" The company recollects by the base of the river and investigates again, this time focusing on the river. It's about an hour past midday when Kurt and Natalia simultaneously point to the waterfall. "There!" "The-oh..."

A small, dark cave is now easily visible once it has been pointed out. Between the water, under the falls, the mountain opens up to promote an unlit cavern. The water around the base of the falls is deep, but rocks surrounding the landing pool could be used as a makeshift pathway, but are slippery. The water in the pool is deep and the water coming off the falls would surely push anyone who fell in under and down the river about ten yards. The slip wouldn't cause any damage, but would at certainly be unpleasant.

DC to maintain balance on rocks: 12. Remember to factor in Armor Check Penalty!

Admiral
2012-04-09, 11:08 PM
"In we go!" shouts the ever-enthusiastic Shiny.

While I would usually take off my armor first, Shiny wouldn't think of that, especially after a frustrating day of searching.

Balance check: [roll0]

Athedia
2012-04-09, 11:23 PM
Mithril took Whiskers off her shoulder and put him next to the rocks."It would probably be better if you by crossed yourself Whiskers. Don't worry, if you fall I will go after you." She watched the small weasel hop across a few rock and look back at her. She smiled at him and carefully stepped on the first rock.
Whiskers Balance Check: [roll0] If Whiskers falls in Mithril will dive after him.
Mithril's Balance Check: [roll1]

Admiral
2012-04-09, 11:26 PM
Upon making it into the cavern and taking a look around, he yells back, "I barely made it over those rocks! Maybe you should throw in a rope so I can tie it to something- might help you get across!"

Search check to find something to tie a rope to (tying it to myself would just send me flying): [roll0]

Athedia
2012-04-09, 11:30 PM
Mithril stumbled onto the firm ground, Whiskers watching her. Hearing Shiny's suggestion she couldn't help thinking, if only he had said that before I crossed. She pulled out her silk rope and held it out."I think I have one, yes here it is." She started looking around for a place to tie the rope.
Mithril Search Check: [roll0]
for someone with good intelligence Mithril gets really bad rolls on finding things in front of her face

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-10, 12:53 AM
Vaylindal - Forest

The energetic Shiny scampers across. He slips once, but with his quick speed his slight stumble only takes place once he crossed the entire path. The ground underneath him is dark brown dirt. To his left, as he stands facing the rock pathway with the cave on his right, lies the waterfall. The rocks underneath, where the water lands, are worn from the rushing flow and now slippery as butter. The cave is thirty feet wide and tall. The passage only lasts for about forty feet where an old stone door is illuminated by a single lamp. Shiny looks around his immediate surroundings and quickly finds a rocky outcropping from the wall. As he is looking, Mithril and her weasel scramble across as well. The gnome takes Mithril's silk rope and loops it around the rock, forms a quick knot, and wraps the rest around his arm, waiting to toss the rest of the rope to the other side.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/HeftyLefty40/DnDAquatos01.png

I rolled the Use Rope check for Shiny. To throw the rope to someone on the other side, you must roll a DC 14 Ranged Attack. If you fail, the end of the rope falls in the water. The thrower can lean in and decrease the DC by 1 (and the receiver can for another -1), but the Balance DC to hang onto the wall and catch the rope is a 15. Someone on either side can hold the leaner to decrease the Balance DC by 2. However, if the leaner still fails his check, not only will he fall in the water, but the helper must make a Balance DC 5 or fall in as well.

Admiral
2012-04-10, 01:30 AM
"No need for any help!" Shiny says to Mithril. Once someone on the other side of the waterfall is ready, he throws the rope to them. If he fails, he'll pull the rope back up from the water and try again.

I think I'd be able to take 20, by tossing the rope again and again- after all, since it's attached to the wall, we're not going to lose it (and if it does come free, that would mean it never would have held anyway). But in any case, here's my first throw:

[roll0]

Rolling great today. Shame that wasn't one of those life-and-death rolls.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-10, 06:57 AM
Natalia catches the rope easily, and looks for a nearby tree or rock outcropping that isn't too slippery from moss and mist. Once she does, she makes a knot that will easily be undone if it's sharply yanked on at the right angle from the other end.
Use Rope: [roll0]
If she can't, then Natalia simply holds the rope and walks across slowly. (Do I still need to make a balance check? I really wish I put ranks in balance. Can I retrain Natalia's skills?)
Balance: [roll1]

(EDIT: of course I roll a 2 on the Use Rope check. At least I got a 20 on balance...And I'll bet it was an unnecessary roll).

Natalia looks around the waterfall cave, her gaze quickly falling upon the door and lamp.

OOC: Is the lamp lit? Is there oil inside? Is there dust around the door?

achinca
2012-04-10, 07:57 AM
Miriam looks at the situation and by reflex extends her hand ... and only find nothingness. Calric is not there anymore to help her in this kind of situation. She takes a deep breath and fighting back her tears, starts to take off her armor.

She puts it in her back and tries crossing the slippery slope.

Balance roll (DC12) [roll0]

She easily reaches the other side and puts her armor back on.

When Natalia asks for light, she replies "I am sorry. I did not ask St. Cuthbert for the ability to create light. I have torches however ....."

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-10, 12:41 PM
Vaylindal - Forest

The stone door ahead of the party in the cave is large and wide; it was either built for something larger than a human or simply built to be large. Carved on the door is many archaic words and symbols around a dangerous-looking shark jumping out of water. The door is relatively dusty. The lamp next to the door is lit and shining, and there seems to be a good amount of oil. Someone must have come through and replaced the oil within the past week. To the left of the door, constructed into the mountainside cave wall, is a stone lever with engravings just like the door.

Cavelcade
2012-04-10, 12:49 PM
With a sigh of worry Kurt takes off his armour, stowing it in his packback before tying his pony up carefully. "Hm. Hmm. Oh well, over I go." Doing his best not to look down and move forward confidently he grabs the rope and trusts to the skill of the one who tied it.

[roll0]

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-10, 01:30 PM
Natalia stops short, especially when she sees the shark. She looks at the writing on the lever and door, seeing if she can place it. (OOC: Natalia knows Common, Halfling, Elven, Draconic, and Gnome) If she doesn't know the language, then she checks to see if it shares any root words with the languages she does know.

Decipher Script: [roll0] (EDIT: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--)

Whether or not Natalia can figure out what it says, she holds out her hand and says to the rest of the group, "...All this to leave the house? Why light up the back door?" She immediately drops to the ground and starts checking for traps, or anything even more suspicious. She doesn't let anyone else approach the door or lever. That lever is too inconvenient, and that shark is too ominous.

Search: Take 20 for a 28.

Admiral
2012-04-10, 01:41 PM
If Kurt falls off the stones, and if he loses his grip on the rope, Shiny throws it to him while he's in the water to keep him from floating downstream. "Grab hold!"

Ranged touch attack for throw: [roll0]

Athedia
2012-04-10, 02:23 PM
"Don't worry about light, if we run out of oil I can enchant a rock or use my own, no difference to me." Mithril said as she walked toward the door. The symbols looked interesting, and she tried to decipher the script.

Mithril knows Draconic, Celestial, Elvish and Common
[roll0] here is to hoping this goes well

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-10, 02:24 PM
Vaylindal - Forest

The dwarf is the last to make it across the rocky road. Just before the end, however, he steps on a loose stone which gives way. Kurt loses his grasp on the rope in an attempt to regain his balance and falls into the water. He falls into the water with a splash. The cold river water freezes his system for a second as it pushes him under the falls. Kurt emerges from the flow and but is unable to reach the rope before he is pushed downstream a bit. The dwarf emerges downstream soaking wet. He mutters under a dripping beard. Slowly and carefully, he makes his way over the path. He keeps a very tight grip on the rope and makes special note to only step on the sturdiest of stones. He finally makes it across and is the last of the party to cross.

Kurt takes 10 to cross.

Natalia identifies that the language is draconic, but that's about it. She can infer that the language is speaking about water. After a few careful minutes of searching, she can confidently say that the door and lever are both safe for use.

Mithril has a better go at deciphering the words. It seems to be a short poem or rhyme about water and swimming. The last line reads: "Dive in deep, hold your breath, or prepare to face a watery death."

Admiral
2012-04-10, 02:28 PM
"We should take our time and make a plan before pulling the lever," says Shiny. But Shiny rarely does what he should do, so he disregards this, hops right up and pulls.

achinca
2012-04-10, 02:29 PM
As Kurt falls into the water, Miriam rushes to the edge "Can you swim Kurt?"

If there is sign that the dwarf is into trouble, she will take off her armor and jump to save the warrior.

IF he is just wet, she will extend her hand to help him get up.

After that, she will look at the runes, at the writing to see if she can make sense of it.

She will also look closely at the door to see if anything out of the ordinary jumps at her.

Here is a series of rolls (if needed):

Swim: [roll0]

Knowledge Religion: [roll1]

Spot: [roll2]

Athedia
2012-04-10, 02:32 PM
Mithril dives to the ground and covers her head when she sees Shiny pulling the lever. Years of poking, pushing and otherwise manipulating things had taught her that unexpected results could occur. The incident of the falling bookcase still rang sharply in her memory. She peeked up to see what happened.

achinca
2012-04-10, 02:33 PM
As Kurt joins then, Miriam approaches the dwarf and gives him a hug. "Are you okay strong warrior? Can I do anything for you?"

As Shiny pulls the lever, Miriam screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and pulls the gnome back, to protect him if needed.

"Halfling Lawyer, you need to control your impulsiveness. Who knows who or what is beyond that door. Carefulness and planning are needed. If not evil will take advantage of you. Are you OK?"

Athedia
2012-04-10, 02:35 PM
Standing up Mithril spoke "The door says something, something rather scary. Dive in deep, hold your breath, or prepare to face a watery death. I don't want to face a watery death, or any death for that matter. But where should we dive, the pool or somewhere inside?"

Admiral
2012-04-10, 02:40 PM
Shiny lets out a laugh. "I assure you, I can control my impulsiveness. I'm Shiny Steadyeye, staring contest champion and professional kettle-watcher, and my patience is without limit." While his face remains impassive as he says this, his twitching fingers betray his desire to pull the lever and find out what happens.

He turns to the group. "What do we need? Weapons out? Who'll stand at the front?"

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-10, 02:45 PM
Mithril yelps and dives to shove Shiny out of the way. She stands up and brushes off her jacket, listening to Mithril's translation. "...I'm rusty," she says with a slightly rueful smile.

Natalia looks at the writing, the drawing, and the lever. Nodding, she mutters, "Watery lungs, bloody water, bloody lungs." She ties the rope to the lever, then moves back.

(OOC: Is there a ledge or any place to cling off the ground?)

achinca
2012-04-10, 02:51 PM
Miriam listens to Mithril.

"I do not like the sound it this. What language is it written? Draconic? I do not like it. I wonder if we are supposed to go down some watery canals or something. "

Athedia
2012-04-10, 03:02 PM
"It is draconic, but maybe it is a clue for the jewels. They are the keys to a dragons prison."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-10, 03:13 PM
Natalia finishes tying the rope to the lever, checking to see how the door can be opened (is there a doorknob or something?) She interrupts, "Blue water, blue princess, blue gem? Watery blood..."

Cavelcade
2012-04-10, 04:02 PM
Kurt just laughs, shaking his head as he shakes the water out of his hair as best he can, looking like a small soaked bear. "Nothing hurt but my pride. I've never dealt well with crossings like that..."

He winces as Shiny is forcibly restrained going straight for the lever. "Hm. Should I put my armour back on...or keep it off in case we have to swim?"

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-10, 07:06 PM
Vaylindal - Forest

The party surrounds the stone door on edge. Aside from the lever on the side, there doesn't appear to be a way to open the door. It looks just like a wall except for the frame around it. Natalia ties a knot around the lever and the entire party backs off about thirty feet near the edge of the cave on rocks, terrified of what may happen. She grips the rope tightly as her palms begin to sweat.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/HeftyLefty40/DnDAquatos02.png

achinca
2012-04-10, 07:36 PM
Miriam puts her hand on Natalia'shoulders.

"Go ahead. Pull the rope. I will protect you and heal you, if needed."

She glances at Kurt "May be you should have your armor on and be ready to defend us if needed."

She looks at Shiny "Master of Shark hunting, be ready for the unexpected."

Finally she nods to Mithril. "St. Cuthbert is with us. We will be fine."

She gets ready, her tension quite palpable.

Athedia
2012-04-10, 07:46 PM
With a gulp Mithril positions her quarterstaff ready to defend against anything coming from the door. She looked at the picture on the door and shifted slightly, keeping one eye on the pool they had crossed. It may just be a silly hunch but she was worried. Whiskers settle down on her shoulder.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-10, 08:44 PM
Natalia makes sure that she can draw her rapier in and undo the knot in an instant. She closes her eyes, gulps, jerks her head in a quick nod, and yanks on the rope.

Admiral
2012-04-10, 09:58 PM
She looks at Shiny "Master of Shark hunting, be ready for the unexpected."

Shiny looks truly touched. "I hadn't even told you of my true identity as Shiny Finslicer, shark hunter and entrepreneur!" He looks as though someone has finally understood him.

His wild eyes harden into steely resolve as he draws his rapier. "We'll take whatever's coming."

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-11, 12:16 AM
Vaylindal - Forest

Tension builds as the rope grows taut in Natalia's hands. She gives it a tug, and some other the party members think to jump out and stop her... but it's too late. The lever comes down with a loud thunk. Nothing happens. The party members, creeping down in a bent stance, loosen their rigidity in confusion. Then, another loud *ca-chunk* locks them back into position. The grey stone door begins slowly sinking downward into the earth. Inside is impenetrable darkness. Then, suddenly from the shadows, a terrifying beast with razor sharp teeth and blood-stained claws appears!

Just kidding. Nothing appears. This is quite the paranoid party.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/HeftyLefty40/DnDAquatos03.png

Admiral
2012-04-11, 12:25 AM
"Well? On we go!" shouts Shiny. He teeters on his feet, only to stop himself abruptly. "On the other hand... I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have our resident warrior go first." He nudges Kurt a bit.

Cavelcade
2012-04-11, 01:00 AM
Kurt laughs and nods, putting on his helmet and taking up his axe. "Does anyone have a torch to go behind me?"

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-11, 05:04 AM
Natalia just stands there and blinks. "...Huh." Somewhat sheepishly, she unties the rope and puts it back in her bag. Still holding her rapier, she says, "Missing numbers, bad sum..." Still, she couldn't help but chuckle over the anticlimactic scene.

(OOC: I think Mithril has a lamp.)

Athedia
2012-04-11, 06:18 AM
Mithril pulled out her lamp and a flask of oil. "This will last longer than any torch and be brighter. But if you think we are going to have to extinguish soon a torch would be better." Mithril was still shaking from from the nervousness of opening the door, but she was also laughing at herself. There she went worrying over nothing again.

achinca
2012-04-11, 08:16 AM
As the anticlimax of the door opening dawns on Miriam, she starts giggling and then start laughing uncontrollably. She is split in two, nearly rolling to the ground.

When she regains control, she wipes tears of laughter of her eyes. "Thank you St. Cuthbert. I needed that. I really did."

She smiles at her companions and get ready to go, closing the marching order as usual.

Cavelcade
2012-04-11, 09:47 AM
Kurt, still shaking his head as he takes up his axe again, walks to the edge of the blackness then and peers in. "I'm sure a lamp will be fine. What's the worst that could happen?"

The solid dwarf has regained his more solid expression, hands lightly moving on the axe haft as he keeps an eye out for enemies, not wanting to be caught off guard just because this door was untrapped.

achinca
2012-04-11, 09:55 AM
When Miriam hears Kurt's comment, the smile fades from her face.

"As my teacher told me often, famous last words ....."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-11, 11:23 AM
"Flying air sharks, acid sharks, lava sharks," Natalia replies to Kurt. She warily inspects the hallway as they walk.

Admiral
2012-04-11, 11:29 AM
"Flying air sharks, acid sharks, lava sharks," Natalia replies to Kurt. She warily inspects the hallway as they walk.

"I fought a lava shark once," says Shiny wistfully as he walks, "but the problem is that through all the lava, no one could see it..."

Cavelcade
2012-04-12, 06:35 AM
"Hm. Sharks that aren't in the sea are pretty scary. But I think dragons are worse."

Walking along, chuckling as the tension is completely relieved completely.

Athedia
2012-04-12, 02:56 PM
Mithril stopped, sighed and reached into her pack pulling out her lantern, flint and a flask of oil. Filling the lantern she asks the others "Why do we talk of lights without lighting? And why walk into darkness without seeing?" Now able to see the ground around her she continued.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-13, 09:12 PM
Natalia actually grins, showing surprisingly neat and clean teeth. "Blind dragons, burn sharks."

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-16, 08:35 PM
Shrine of Aquatos - First Floor - First Room

The interior hall door opens slowly. Very slowly. So slowly that it feels as if five days has passed since it opened. But eventually, finally, the stone door sinks into the ground and the party sinks into the dungeon. The brave fighter Kurt Loderr leads the pack, expecting anything. The mysterious Natalia slinks behind, followed by the magician Mithril. Fortunately for the crew they are backed by Shiny the Waterproof Sharkproof gnome and the child of St. Cuthbert Miriam Sunflower. Together the adventurers make their way into the hallway. The way is lit by the party's light, but also by some small candles in the corner of the room ahead which reveal another stone door. The room ahead of you appears to be empty. This door has no markings you can make out from this distance.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/HeftyLefty40/DnDAquatos04-1.png

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-16, 09:24 PM
Natalia quietly hums to herself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wi8Fv0AJA4) as the door opens, abruptly cutting herself off once the room is fully visible. She picks up a handful of pebbles and places them in one of her pockets while craning her neck and peeking into the room.

"...Picked clean or made clean?" she whispers to the party while looking and listening intently for anything off.
(Prepares for fail)

If Natalia doesn't find anything, she waits for everyone else to report on what they find. If nobody finds anything suspicious, she carefully searches the room (Take 20 for 28? Or Search: [roll2])

achinca
2012-04-16, 10:02 PM
Miriam looks with a lot of curiosity at the room. "A dungeon system behind a waterfall. I wonder who would go through all the troubles to do that.

She looks around to see if she can spot something or find something or see some tracks.

Search: [roll1]

Survival: [roll2]

Admiral
2012-04-16, 10:21 PM
Shiny peeks around Mithril to look in the room, and rubs his hands together, eager to see what's inside.

Athedia
2012-04-17, 12:26 AM
"And why go through all the trouble if it is empty?" Mithril wondered out loud, as she peered around hoping to see if there was anything hiding ahead.

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll]1d20+1[roll]
Search:[roll1]

Cavelcade
2012-04-17, 04:50 AM
Kurt ***** his head, waiting until he finds out if any traps can be detected before slowly entering the room if none are and waiting otherwise, looking through the room.

"Someone who really doesn't like visitors?" He coughs a bit at his attempt at humour. "Sorry."

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-17, 10:44 AM

The talkative band of adventurers quickly alerts four armed reptilians hiding in the unseen corners of the room ahead. Natalia, at the same time, steps on a pressure plate on the ground ((on F4)). She stumbles a bit as the floor shifts beneath her and the plate is activated. The door behind them, that had sunk into the ground, begins to rise faster than it lowered ((it will be sealed in one round)). The creatures ahead are about Shiny's height, but sport a dark brown, rusted scale color. Once they see Natalia's neck crane around the corner, they yip in excitement and scramble to attack! Two carry spears ((marked with a black dot)) and two carry slings ((marked with red dots)).

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/HeftyLefty40/DnDAquatos04-2.png

((Roll for Initiative (in the OOC thread)!))

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-17, 04:10 PM
Natalia yanks her head back then turns around at the sound of the door closing, her eyes wide in alarm. "In the foxhole, four jaws!" she yelps while drawing her rapier and rope knotted into a noose. Pressing herself against the wall of the corridor, she throws the rope in the direction of the creatures, hoping to catch at least one of them in the snare. The rope has been knotted so it will tighten whether she pulls on the end or the snared creature tugs against the loop.

(OOC: I make a ranged touch attack, right? Do I get a circumstance bonus because I've got a +9 Use Rope modifier with this rope?)

Attack: [roll0]
Critical Hit: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]

If one of the enemies is successfully snared, Natalia pulls on the noose, tightening it and hopefully attempting to pull them to the ground (OOC: Though the noose would still be around them if she fails the trip attempt, right? And if Natalia fails the trip attempt she immediately drops the rope to prevent being tripped back. Would this still be a ranged touch attack, or melee? I'm going as ranged, but if it needs to be melee just tell me.)

Trip attempt: [roll3] (So 19 if it's a melee touch attack)

While doing this, Natalia tries to pinpoint exactly what these creatures are from the brief glimpse she got of them before her attention was drawn to their weapons.

Knowledge: (Local): [roll4]
Knowledge: (Whatever would identify these creatures if it's not Knowledge :(Local)): [roll5]

achinca
2012-04-17, 10:18 PM
Miriam wants to protect the warrior but he is at the end of the line. She will then cast sanctuary on herself and enter the room to C4.

Sanctuary: 1 round - Will negates DC 14

Cavelcade
2012-04-18, 06:43 AM
OOC: Assuming he goes first, if not I'll redo this.

Kurt grips his axe grimly then, preparing to rush forward. "Out of the way, Natalia!" With that and without a second thought for his safety he moves to go through the door, to square D4, where he turns to cut at the creature in square E5, a vicious blow of the axe aimed straight at their neck, ignoring any wounds from their spears as he does so. The most notice he gives them is what he can afford, a grimace for the pain of being hit in the heat of battle.

"No turning back!"

Assuming he doesn't get put down from AOOs, his attack roll is:
[roll0]
If he hits, his damage is:
[roll1]

achinca
2012-04-18, 07:51 AM
As she sees Kurt going inside the room and attacking, Miriam screams too late "Wait! May be we can parlay with them ....... "

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-18, 08:09 AM
Natalia stumbles as Kurt shoves her aside and pales as she sees the dwarf charge into battle.

"Kurt, cunning foxes--!" But Kurt disappears around the corner before she can finish her sentence. Instead Natalia snares the closest enemy with her rope. (OOC: Use the rolls from above; I'm just clarifying which kobold.)

Athedia
2012-04-18, 02:46 PM
Mithril held up her hand and sent an streak of power at the the first sling wielder she saw. Seeing Kurt rush in she shouted Careful! There may be more traps!" After casting her spell she squeezed against the wall, trying to leave more room for Miriam and Shiny to get past her. Whiskers gripped her shoulder tightly with his claws, neither of them had ever witnessed a real battle before.

Attacking the monster in D5 with Magic Missile, never misses, no saving throw
damage: [roll0]

Admiral
2012-04-18, 09:49 PM
Shiny darts forward to squeeze in to the front of the hallway- Kurt, the courageous fool, had ruined his chances of putting the enemies to sleep all at once. With a few gestures he casts color spray, letting forth a bright, vivid cone of colors that covers a pair of the monsters.

Move to F4, cast color spray in a cone that covers the monsters on E3 and D3, but not Kurt on D4. Each of the two monsters gets a Will Save DC 14- if they fail they become (assuming they have <=2HD each) unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round.

If it is impossible to make a cone in that way that doesn't hit Kurt, Shiny will cast sleep at a point behind the D3 and E3 monsters where they are in a 10 ft radius but Kurt is not (I have a hard time calculating geometry with these squares...).

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-18, 10:21 PM

*BOOM* The door seals shut behind the party. The reptilian warriors, which Natalia identifies as kobolds, are surprised by the amount of armed party members and stiffen up. Natalia is the first to act. She slings her rope and manages to snare the creature on her left.

[roll0]
[roll1]

If Kobold Black 1 succeeds, he will attempt to trip Natalia.

[roll2]
[roll3]

The rope falls beside the kobold who easily steps over it.

Meanwhile, Miriam is followed by a berserk Kurt. The bat outta hell charges through the bewildered kobolds and, with one swipe of his greataxe, tears the scaly creature apart. The kobold is reduced to small bits and flecks of flesh and scales. His counterparts shriek in terror.

Mithril wanted to attack the same foe as Kurt, but she quickly realizes that won't be necessary and instead redirects her missiles at the last second to strike the other kobold wielding a sling. The missile strikes the kobold in the shoulder, pierces straight through his flimsy leather armor, and sends him spiraling to the hard cold ground. Blood pours out from beneath the fallen creature.

Finally, Shiny charges forward into the fray and attempts to daze a scaly minion to his left.

[roll4]

The kobold is fascinated by the display, completely unable to react to the fight around him. It collapses to the ground unconscious.

Kobold Red 1, Kobold Red 2, and Kobold Black 1 are downed!

The other two kobolds shiver in fear but realize their only way out is to fight out. They both attack the party's most fearsome fighter, the dwarf. They attempt to stab him with their pointed spears.

[roll5]
[roll6]

[roll7]
[roll8]

The kobolds, terrified, are too frantic in their strikes and miss completely.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/HeftyLefty40/DnDAquatos06-1.png

achinca
2012-04-18, 10:37 PM
Miriam idea of a peaceful solution is quickly over as her companions kill two kobolds. She knows they are an evil race so she knows what she has to do.

She moves toward the kobold on the right (C5-C6-D6) and swipe her heavy mace while yelling "For St. Cuthbert!!!

if hit, damages [roll1]

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-18, 10:48 PM
Natalia tenses as the rope effortlessly slides down the kobold's arm, then gasps as a bit of blood and gristle spatters on her forearm. "Kobolds!" she shouts as she drops the rope and grips her rapier tightly. Her panicked vivid image of Kurt crushed in a trap vanishes as she sees the dwarf's axe coated in blood. Any opportunity for a peaceful end to this conflict was finished, and Natalia knows it. She runs to flank the last standing kobold (moves to E4, D4, or D5) and thrusts her rapier forward while saying, "Sorry," in Draconic.

Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] plus Sneak Attack! [roll3]

EDIT: Oh, come on! :smallmad:

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-18, 11:41 PM

As Natalia makes her way through the corridor, the kobold she is running around takes a stab at her with its spear.

[roll0]
[roll1]

But he merely swipes at the air.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-18, 11:53 PM
Natalia leaps just as the spear comes jabbing at her legs, and only exhales once the weapon passes harmlessly under her boot. But she's still shaken by the near-miss, and so her attack also pierces nothing but air. At some point she looks up and sees the final kobold staring off into nothing. "Let statues be!" she shouts to her allies.

(OOC: Let's hope Natalia's general incomprehensibility doesn't hurt her here...)

Cavelcade
2012-04-19, 12:19 AM
Kurt takes a step closer to the last kobold who isn't staring at nothing and swings again, grunting acknowledgement to Natalia's cry.

He moves to D5 and swings at him.
Attack roll:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-19, 01:00 PM
Shrine of Aquatos - First Floor - First Floor

The brute swings his bloody axe at the kobold, who ducks at the last second. The blade brushes off the skin of the armor, making contact, but that's about it.

Athedia
2012-04-19, 02:57 PM
Mithril locked the last aware kobold in her sights. She recited a spell from memory, moving her hands around as if she were molding clay into a ball. With a sudden push she aimed the green orb at the kobold. As the orb left her hands she muttered a quick prayer "Boccob, let me strike true.
Acid Splash
Ranged Touch Attack [roll0] ignores armor, shield or natural armor bonuses
No Saving throw
Damage [roll1] acid damage

Admiral
2012-04-19, 06:47 PM
Shiny clasps his hands together and fires another bright rainbow at the remaining kobold.

Color spray, DC 14, just like the last one.

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-19, 07:07 PM

Mithril's second attack is not as successful as her first. The acid orb whizzes by her targets ear, splashes on the ground behind it, and dissipates into the ground.

[roll0]

The last kobold is amazed by the colors and collapses to the ground unconscious, just like his counterpart.

All the kobolds are unconscious or dead! Congrats!

We are now out-of-combat, so feel free to post out of initiative. However, if you move, please still use the coordinate system and note your trail.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-19, 07:41 PM
Natalia still can't quite get the sickeningly organic sound of Kurt's axe cutting that kobold in half out of her hand, but she manages to compose herself as she takes stock of the unconscious and dead kobolds--and the locked door. She leans over and pats down the kobold (Take 20 to search the kobold for anything), removing the spear and any other weapons or items the creature might be carrying before tying him up with the silk rope. As she does so, Natalia motions to the other unconscious kobold and the pressure plate and says, "Trapmaster kobolds, here. Why?"

When Natalia finishes tying up the unconscious kobold, she steps over it and looks at the kobold killed by Mithril's spell. She lays the reptilian creature out on the ground, then removes its sling and searches its body for anything useful, because, as she mutters to herself, "Won't need anything...".

Athedia
2012-04-19, 07:41 PM
Mithril walked up to the rest of the group (G4). (OOC: I just realized Mithril left her rope on the other side of the door!). She spotted the remaining rope on the ground and picked it up. "We should tie them up, its not fair to kill helpless creatures, but we will not be able to question them if they are actively trying to kill us." She held the rope out to Natalia "Here, I believe this is yours and you know how to use it."

Finally the realization of what she had just been a part of hit her. She had become one of the people she had read about so long ago. Leaning against the wall she tilted her head to rest on Whiskers. "You know, they never talked about the blood."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-19, 07:50 PM
(OOC: Maybe bring over the second unconscious kobold?) Natalia nods and offers Mithril a wan smile. "Here then gone. Them or us..." She trails off and looks back at the kobold she's searching--the kobold Mithril killed.

achinca
2012-04-19, 08:56 PM
Miriam slowly approaches the unconscious kobolds and watches NAtalia tie them up.

"You are right mithril, I would never let the party murders unconscious enemies even if I know they would do it if the situation was reversed. Let's wake up one and have NAtalia talk draconic with it."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-19, 09:05 PM
Natalia drags the first tied-up kobold over to the second one, making sure to walk only where the party and kobolds have stepped. She searches and ties up the second kobold as the first (Take 20 on search for 28), places them several feet away from each other, and steps back.

While waiting for them to come to, she inspects the spears and slings. They're obviously too small for her, something a human child would wield. The thought is disquieting.

(OOC: Natalia has the two spears and two slings. What else did she find on the three kobolds she searched?)

Athedia
2012-04-19, 09:50 PM
"I will help her question them, I learned the language in my studies. But what should we ask?" Mithril looked at the two dead kobolds still collapsed on the ground. "Maybe we should move the bodies, I don't think they would be willing to talk while staring at the dead."

Mithril knelt down beside the kobold she had killed. She spoke to the body in its own tongue (OCC: Draconic)"I will remember you."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-19, 09:58 PM
Natalia nods and says, "Trapmaster kobolds, guarding dragon gems? Why here? And other traps?"

She closes her eyes as Mithril addresses the kobold and says, "Won't forget."

Cavelcade
2012-04-20, 05:10 AM
Kurt cleans off his axe carefully, then nods once that's done, leaving the others their own time to come to terms with what they've done. He hadn't coped much better the first time the caravan he was helping to guard was attacked on the way down from the dwarven mountains and can't blame them for pale faces. He doesn't know what he could say to help either though so, instead, as soon as the suggestion is made he goes over and picks up the two dead Kobolds and carries them away.

He goes back down the tunnel to the door they came in and places their bodies down before returning to the others, careful to clean any blood off before stepping into the light.
His path:
D5(Pick up Kobold)-D4-D3(Pick up Kobold)-D4-E4-F4-G4-H4-K4-L4. Returns to where he was then.

achinca
2012-04-20, 07:45 AM
Miriam's face is somber. "It is their first kill. Poor girls. They do not know. It does not really get easier. And they do not know how much it hurts when you lose on of yours ....."

A tear appears on her left cheek. She wipes it away and in a voice that she wants strong but is still broken, she says "Ask them what are they protecting? what is on the other side? Why did they attack us?"

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-20, 09:17 AM
Natalia gives Miriam a curious look, but doesn't say anything other then, "Yes." She leans in to Mithril and says, "Help. Not good at..."

While waiting for the kobolds to wake up, Natalia waves over Shiny and shows him the spears and slings with an inquiring look.

(OOC: Other than the spears and slings, were the kobolds carrying anything on them that could be found with a DC 28 search?)

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-20, 11:10 AM

Nothing is found on kobolds aside from their weapons, dirty, brown and red armor, and a small copper necklace around Kobold Red 2. There appears to have been a jewel in the center of the necklace, but it has been pried out.

As the party looks around the room without the stress of combat, they notice a stone lever, similar to the one they pulled with a rope earlier, on the wall behind them (in square E6).

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-20, 01:08 PM
"Don't touch," Natalia says to Shiny before looking back at the copper necklace with a frown. There's too much to think about, so she verbalizes her tumultuous thoughts, muttering, "Dragon gems, gemless necklace, kobolds in Aquatos Shrine, kobolds speak Draconic..."

When the kobolds wake up, Natalia says to them, in Draconic, "Trapmaster kobolds, here. Why?"

achinca
2012-04-20, 02:18 PM
While Natalia speaks with the kobolds, Miriam approaches Shiny and whispers in his ear "Dear Shark Master, Halfling Lawyer and overall ruler of your universe, I think that once our new friends are done gathering information, you should pull that lever. I would like to see their reaction. They have to learn to be cautious but not to be afraid of everything."

She waits for the gnome reply as she thinks "Calric, am I doing it right? Are you proud of me? Is it my time to rejoin you?"

Athedia
2012-04-20, 02:39 PM
Mithril looked at the at the necklace to see if she she recognized the design (Knowledge (History) [roll0]).

When the kobolds wake up she asks them in Draconic "Do you know the this place well?"

Admiral
2012-04-20, 11:00 PM
While Natalia speaks with the kobolds, Miriam approaches Shiny and whispers in his ear "Dear Shark Master, Halfling Lawyer and overall ruler of your universe, I think that once our new friends are done gathering information, you should pull that lever. I would like to see their reaction. They have to learn to be cautious but not to be afraid of everything."
[/COLOR]"

Shiny looks offended. "Why would I do such a thing? Would it not betray our new teammates' trust?"

Actually, Shiny had been about to pull the lever, but it's against his nature to do what's expected of him.

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-21, 04:13 PM

The copper necklace does not bring anything historic to Mithril's mind. It is devoid of designs or words, and the only markings appear to be random scratches. If it's a language, it's none she's ever seen.

Natalia sits patiently in front of the two kobolds until they wake. After about a minute, on slowly begins to come from its slumber. It wakes peacefully. The scaly kobold goes to stretch its arms, but finds itself tied by a rope and goes into a panic. Its partner is awoken in the struggle and wakes as well. The two shriek and wiggle in their bindings. They finally realize their captivity and yield their fight.

The two kobolds speak in draconic. Their voices sounds like their cries - high-pitched, sharp yipping.
"We're always here! Many of us, our brothers and sisters!"
"This is our home! We live in the walls and bathe in the waters of our gods!"

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-21, 04:44 PM
Natalia blinks in confusion. "How many? How long? ...What gods?" She points to the pressure plate and lever. "Made by your hands?"

At some point she leans in to Mithril and Shiny (if he's also participating in the interrogation) and whispers, in Common, "Why send us here to find kobolds? Keepers of the dragon gems?"

Admiral
2012-04-21, 04:52 PM
Shiny stays quiet as Natalia interrogates the kobolds. He looks oddly impassive, with none of his usual charm and enthusiasm apparent.

"Let's see what he says."

achinca
2012-04-21, 05:28 PM
Miriam smiles at Shiny.

"I forgot, you are Shiny Trustworthy, Halfling Lawyer!"

She shakes her head and wait for the questioning to be done.

She kneels, closes her eyes and starts praying.

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-22, 12:00 AM

The kobolds growl in return. "Many years of nests. None can count my brothers and sisters in this temple of ours. You'd best leave now before-"
Its companion interrupts, "What gods? What gods!?" The two howl in laughter before the second reptilian spits on Natalia. It lands just below her eye. Its very warm. "You idiot!"
"You fool!"
"The gods give us the sun and the rain!"
"The grass and the air!"
"Do you not know these things!?"
The pair erupts in cackling, abrasive laughter once again.

Admiral
2012-04-22, 01:20 AM

The kobolds growl in return. "Many years of nests. None can count my brothers and sisters in this temple of ours. You'd best leave now before-"
Its companion interrupts, "What gods? What gods!?" The two howl in laughter before the second reptilian spits on Natalia. It lands just below her eye. Its very warm. "You idiot!"
"You fool!"
"The gods give us the sun and the rain!"
"The grass and the air!"
"Do you not know these things!?"
The pair erupts in cackling, abrasive laughter once again.

Shiny's eyes flash with fury upon hearing this. He turns toward the others and says in a low voice, in Common, "No one talks to our people that way."

He takes a knee next to the kobolds. His face bears no similarity to the charming, carefree Shiny the party usually sees. Instead, he displays an unusual intensity. "My name is Shiny Darkmind," he says gravely to the kobolds. "I am a torturer and executioner."

"You may recognize me as the one who put you to sleep during the battle. You may think that was an act of mercy. Let me assure you that is not the case. The dwarf's blade and human's magic, the actions that killed your friends- that was mercy. I kept you alive for my own purposes.

"I practice the darkest forms of enchantment and mind-controlling magic. This kind of magic could leave you trapped in a personal Hell of eternal torment. The kind of magic that could make your forget your entire identity and leave you living the rest of your life like an animal in the wilderness."

"So when my kind friend asks you questions... you answer them. Or I get to work.

Bluff check: [roll0]
Intimidate check: [roll1]

I think Shiny deserves a circumstance bonus on the Intimidate check since they have the kobolds tied up (and Shiny was the one who put them that way). He might even deserve a circumstance bonus on the Bluff check since he's so accustomed to telling stories about himself, but I'll leave that to your judgment.

Admiral
2012-04-22, 01:21 AM
Bluff and Intimidate check didn't register in the last post, so here they are:

Bluff: [roll0]
Intimidate: [roll1]

ETA: Rats; I knew Shiny should have taken a few more ranks in Intimidate. (Still, the kobolds have only 1 hit dice and have -1 Wisdom, so I just have to beat a 1d20 opposed check. Perhaps the circumstance bonus could put me over the edge.)

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-22, 09:53 AM
Natalia flicks the spittle off her cheek and glares at the kobolds with a curled lip and narrowed eyes. She has half a mind to string the kobolds up and interrogate them while they're swinging upside down by their ankles, but her train of thought is derailed by an uncharacteristically severe Shiny.

When he finishes, the only sound Natalia can make is a sort of strangled "glrck." Nevertheless, she nods at Shiny and leans in closer to the kobolds, saying in Draconic, "You saw the axe. Gods' names? And," she points at the lever and pressure plate, "Made by your hands?"

Natalia had encountered kobolds once before, a traveling mechanic of sorts who had taught her Draconic in the first place, so she could read the blueprints of the traps and mechanisms that he had built. These kobolds are much nastier. She supposes it's to be expected, as they did kill two of their kin, but the way they treat her still leaves a bitter taste in her mouth.

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-23, 07:46 AM
OOC: Shiny's Intimidate check - Yes, you do receive a bonus on your check for that fine bit of roleplaying. I hate when a player's good job is ruined by a dice roll. On the same note, I hate when players say "I bluff to get past the guard" and roll a d20. What do you say??

The pair shuts up quickly. The straighten up in their bindings and their eyes spread wide.
"Gah! Yes sir!"
"Okay okay!"

Natalia resumes her questioning. A drop of water falls from the ceiling/wall corner behind the kobolds.

"Kurtulmak!"
"God of all kobolds!"
"Have mercy on us Kurtulmak!"
"Ack! Yes! Mercy!"

Natalia shakes the two back to sanity with her second question.

"Not MY hands..."
"Not mine either, no, not ours."
"But our brothers."
"Yes, we built them! To keep you out!"
"This is our place! Why do you come in here, kill our kind, and torture us for eternity?"
"What did WE do?"

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-23, 07:59 AM
Natalia bites her lip and looks down. She really doesn't have a good answer to their last two questions. She mulls over their statements to see if they're lying, though she doubts it.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

In either case she says to the kobolds, "Didn't know you were here. Answer us for safety." then calls over the rest of the group and whispers, "Why send us here?"

Admiral
2012-04-23, 08:15 AM
Natalia bites her lip and looks down. She really doesn't have a good answer to their last two questions. She mulls over their statements to see if they're lying, though she doubts it.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

In either case she says to the kobolds, "Didn't know you were here. Answer us for safety." then calls over the rest of the group and whispers, "Why send us here?"

"What are you guarding?" asks Shiny, coldly.

achinca
2012-04-23, 10:26 AM
When Miriam hears Shiny threatening the Kobolds, she stops her praying and rise to her feet.

She goes stand behind the kobolds looking at Shiny menacingly. She is not sure if the gnome is lying or a real psychopath but she will not take the chance.

" I will not be involved with torture or experiment. I will do all I can to prevent arms to be done to the kobolds."

She addresses Shiny "Be careful of your words little man. They might bite you back...........""

She searches her memories to see if Kurtulmak rings any bell.

knowledge Religion: [roll0]

She tells Natalia: "Tell them that we do not want them any harm. We just want to go inside to fin some information and let them be.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-23, 11:18 AM
Natalia frowns and nods. She spends several minutes moving her mouth silently until she finally speaks, pointing to Mithril and saying, "Broken necklace, where's the parts?" She then turns to the rest of the group and says, "Hero robbers, still robbers but also heroes. Trapmaster kobolds...Dangerous. But why here?" She points at the two bound kobolds. "Foxes lead us through the foxes' den. Carrot or stick. Freedom and safety or..." She trails off, pointing to her rapier and Kurt's axe.

Natalia hangs her head, hoping that she was able to properly tease out and communicate the chaos in her mind. It makes perfect sense to her...

achinca
2012-04-23, 11:22 AM
Miriam looks deeply in Natalia's eyes "Natalia, I will never accept the killing of a bound and harmless enemy. It would be murder."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-23, 11:24 AM
Miriam looks deeply in Natalia's eyes "Natalia, I will never accept the killing of a bound and harmless enemy. It would be murder."

Natalia nods, somehow managing to look Miriam in the eye. She doesn't feel any better about the prospect either, but... "One chance. More than they gave us...Bound foxes still bite."

achinca
2012-04-23, 11:33 AM
Natalia nods, somehow managing to look Miriam in the eye. She doesn't feel any better about the prospect either, but... "One chance. More than they gave us...Bound foxes still bite."

Miriam puts her warm smile on her face. "I know Natalia. If the roles were reversed, they would not hesitate to murder us or even eat us. But that is why they are an evil race. We are good. We do protect life, even the one of evil races. If you start behaving like your enemy, you become your enemy and are not better than him. And remember that to them, we are the invaders and they are defending their home. It is not easy being good and doing the right thing every time. Trust me, I know that. But I also know that there is no otherway. "

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-23, 11:42 AM
She closes her eyes. "Not all bad...Hope they like carrots." Natalia thinks Miriam is reluctantly agreeing with her plan, but she's not quite sure.

Admiral
2012-04-23, 12:24 PM
Shiny stands up and turns his back on the kobolds, a bit of his usual childish grin creeping back into his face.

"Bringing a kobold as a captive would hardly endear us to his friends," he says. "But what if we instead brought him as a willing friend and ally? I know just the spell."

achinca
2012-04-23, 01:11 PM
She closes her eyes. "Not all bad...Hope they like carrots." Natalia thinks Miriam is reluctantly agreeing with her plan, but she's not quite sure.

Miriam looks at Natalia with a puzzled look on her face. "I am pretty sure that they are meat eaters, not vegetarians." She has little understanding of Natalia's plan.

Athedia
2012-04-23, 02:21 PM
Mithril turned to Shiny, anger flaring in her eyes. "Magic should not be used to bend the weak of mind! I have read stories of those who were forever made feeble-minded by such tricks. Maybe they would respond better with promises not threats." She had never had a problem with playing tricks with magic, but had always drawn the line at playing with another's mind, the fragile structure could be easily broken.

Turning back to the kobolds she said (OCC: Draconic) "I hear tell that you are evil, but also see that you are good of heart. You care for your comrades just as I care for mine. We ask for safe passage through the temple, we are simply knowledge seekers, not bloodthirsty barbarians. It was by accident and fear we attacked you, but now the fear has passed."

Admiral
2012-04-23, 02:40 PM
Mithril turned to Shiny, anger flaring in her eyes. "Magic should not be used to bend the weak of mind! I have read stories of those who were forever made feeble-minded by such tricks. Maybe they would respond better with promises not threats." She had never had a problem with playing tricks with magic, but had always drawn the line at playing with another's mind, the fragile structure could be easily broken.

Turning back to the kobolds she said (OCC: Draconic) "I hear tell that you are evil, but also see that you are good of heart. You care for your comrades just as I care for mine. We ask for safe passage through the temple, we are simply knowledge seekers, not bloodthirsty barbarians. It was by accident and fear we attacked you, but now the fear has passed."

Shiny's face is utterly puzzled when Mithril voices her concerns about enchantment, as if Mithril is speaking a different language. "Seems to me it's a lot more friendly than shooting them full of fire." But he lets her go by and talk to the kobolds.

After Mithril finishes her speech to the kobolds, Shiny Darkmind gives them a threatening "or else" glare to underscore her words. He then turns away and gives a playful wink to Natalia.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-23, 02:42 PM
Natalia is concerned about Shiny's suggestion, partially because of Mithril's fears, and partially because...

"Force a mask, but what if it slips?" When Miriam expresses nothing but blank confusion at Natalia's carrot statement, she looks to Mithril, who seems to understand her well, and says, "...Help?"

After Mithril speaks to the kobolds, Natalia adds, in Draconic, "We're looking to stop...destruction. Great destruction, and told to go here. Lead us through safe for your safety. But if not...We know traps too."

achinca
2012-04-23, 02:51 PM
When Miriam hears Mithril scold Shiny on using magic against feeble minds, she rolls her eyes "Shiny, Halfling Lawyer and Shark Master,what did you say to the kobolds?

Athedia
2012-04-23, 02:53 PM
Mithril felt a little confused over the carrot statement so she asked Natalia"Reward not punishment, is that what you mean?"

Admiral
2012-04-23, 03:02 PM
When Miriam hears Mithril scold Shiny on using magic against feeble minds, she rolls her eyes "Shiny, Halfling Lawyer and Shark Master,what did you say to the kobolds?

Shiny shrugs at Miriam. "Oh, just introduced them to the party. 'We are Shiny Goldheart and his Useful Expendables,' and all that. Mithril was referring to my newest suggestion of using charm person to gain the kobold's cooperation and help."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-23, 03:02 PM
Mithril felt a little confused over the carrot statement so she asked Natalia"Reward not punishment, is that what you mean?"

Natalia smiles and nods in assent.

She shoots a look at Shiny but otherwise says nothing.

achinca
2012-04-23, 03:10 PM
Shiny shrugs at Miriam. "Oh, just introduced them to the party. 'We are Shiny Goldheart and his Useful Expendables,' and all that. Mithril was referring to my newest suggestion of using charm person to gain the kobold's cooperation and help."

Miriam looks surprised and just replies "Oh". She waits for a second before adding "Is it one of your exaggerations or the truth? Because honestly, it is no big deal as long as you do not take advantage of them."

Finally she adds "Drop the group name. I am here for the King. I am not part of any group. MY soul belongs to St. Cuthbert and my body and heart belonged to Calric."

Hefty Lefty
2012-04-23, 04:34 PM

Natalia doesn't feel as if the kobolds are lying.

"We are not guarding anything! We are protecting!"
"Yes, protecting!"
"We are protecting our Great Mother! She lives down in the depths of our temple."
"She will not like your visit!"
"No! That is why you should-"
"LEAVE!" They both shout at the same time.

Miriam has not studied the religion intensely, but she knows from a brief overview of uncivilized humanoid religions that Kurtulmak is the chief deity of the kobold race.

When Natalia gives them an ultimatum, the kobolds again go into a panic.
"Ah!"
"Ah..."
They look at each other, then to the considerate Mithril.
"No."
"Yes."
"Yes?"
"Yes."
"Yes."

Athedia
2012-04-23, 09:04 PM
(OCC: Draconic) "Great Mother?" Mithril tried to think if she had ever heard of such a name (OCC: Knowledge Arcana [roll0] on whether she has heard of a great mother, thinking along the lines of dragons).

She decided to ignore Shiny's newest lie, why should she bring more discord into an already tense situation. She felt Whiskers burrowing down the back of her collar, apparently he was frightened of the kobolds. (OCC: Draconic) "We do not want to harm her, whoever she is. May we simply seek an audience with her?" She had read of brave adventurers getting permission to have meetings with great demons and kings, surely this was a similar situation.

As an after thought she added a comment to Miriam in Common. "Let him have his fun with names, as long as you know your path."