PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Flaw that would have been induced by the trauma of war,

TheRinni
2012-03-03, 02:14 PM
In a game I'm starting tomorrow, I'm playing a Blind - Jack B. Quick - esque character. The DM wants us to all have flaws that we accumulated during our time at war. My Blindness doesn't meet the requirement, because it's the Born Blind flaw, and I need another flaw besides it to make my feat-intensive build work.

In addition to being blind and being built around the Jack B. Quick build, my character was also required to have an aberrant dragonmark. One of my abberrant dragonmark abilities, is the ability to Rage.

I really enjoy Blood Frenzied (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Blood_Frenzied) for her Rage issues, but I'm concerned about the inter-party conflict it may cause. Night Terrors (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Night_Terrors_(3.5e_Flaw)) would also work well, but being constantly fatigued sounds detrimental. If she did very well in the war Conceited (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Conceited_(3.5e_Flaw))would work, but that feels like I'm playing things too safe.

Homebrewed flaws are, obviously, allowed. I'd like any help or suggestions you have - I need to finish this character tonight!

EDIT: The idea behind my character is "Avatar the Last Airbender's Toph as a swordsman." I don't know if that information helps or not.

Shadowknight12
2012-03-03, 03:19 PM
Your character is overtly hostile to everyone (possibly born out of pathological fear and distrust) in both word and body language. She takes a -4 to all Charisma checks and keeping her in the party causes all encounters to begin one more step towards Hostile than normal.

deuxhero
2012-03-03, 11:29 PM
How about Lame from an injury (granted, falls apart with D&D's magical healing...)?

Porqueno
2012-03-04, 12:00 AM
Possibly some form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? Upon witnessing a scene of intense violence you must succeed on a Will Save (DC 15) or cower for 1d4 rounds. Succeeding on the save means you are able to keep a hold of yourself and don't need to make another check for this encounter. Failing means taking the 1d4 rounds to get a hold of yourself, after which you are shaken for 1d6 rounds, after which you can keep it together for the rest of the encounter, requiring no more checks for the encounter.

Voyager_I
2012-03-04, 12:17 AM
There are flaws, not curses. They aren't meant to be crippling. A character that makes everyone hate the party or has to pass a will save to do anything in every encounter would be practically unplayable, especially at lower levels.

Cowardly
Your frighten easily. You take a -6 penalty to Intimidate checks and saves versus Fear effects. Any effect or ability that would make you immune to Fear instead removes the penalty.

While your character probably isn't a coward in the traditional sense, this could represent that their nerves have been a bit shaky ever since their experiences in the war.

Flickerdart
2012-03-04, 12:21 AM
Avoid D&D Wiki for homebrew, they accept any and all content, and most of it is terrible.

Shaky (literally shaking hands) could work. Inattentive or Unreactive (constant flashbacks) work too.

Mando Knight
2012-03-04, 12:24 AM
Murky-Eyed?
(Only try to get this past your DM if he permits truly munchkinly ways, since you're already blind...)

Cieyrin
2012-03-04, 11:05 AM
Blind Rage, Brash, Bravado, Glory Hound, Grudge Keeper, Implacable, Loudmouth, Pride of Arms, Slow to Anger, Solitary Paragon, Superstitious, Uncontrollable Rage, Warrior of the Phalanx or Weapon Bound could all work well.

I also concur with Flicker, those flaws are horridly written. Night Terrors, really?