PDA

View Full Version : What would Anel's class be?

Kurald Galain
2012-03-03, 03:21 PM
Okay, so Elan said that he might have a true neutral brother called Anel (or perhaps he has a sister out there called Lena, or whatever). Since Elan is a bard, and Nale has a needlessly complicated set of multiclassing that has more-or-less the same abilities as a bard, what would Anel be?

Perhaps a Fochluchan Lyrist?

SavageWombat
2012-03-03, 03:25 PM
Well, Elan is ultimately a bard because he's a fun-loving free spirit, and not interested in whether he's a powerful character.

Whereas Nale is a sorc/fig/rog because he's a bad power-gamer and prone to overly-complicated plans. (I'll bet he's got a build plan that will make him really powerful when he's 20th level.)

So we need to figure out what Anel's hypothetical personality would be. A hybrid of the two parents, or more of a compromise?

SaintRidley
2012-03-03, 03:37 PM
So we need to figure out what Anel's hypothetical personality would be. A hybrid of the two parents, or more of a compromise?

A savvy enough power gamer to know how to build an effective bard build.

Somehow I see double 9s coming into this somewhere.

SavageWombat
2012-03-03, 03:45 PM
A savvy enough power gamer to know how to build an effective bard build.

Somehow I see double 9s coming into this somewhere.

The kind of person who loves the challenge of power-gaming something hard to power-game? I can see that.

I don't understand the double 9 joke at all.

JCarter426
2012-03-03, 03:47 PM
Wizard. Elan wanted to be one, but that would be too much pressure and he wouldn't take it seriously enough to keep it up. Nale, meanwhile, is obsessed with his overly complicated planning... if he were any good at planning, he'd realize that wizard would be a wiser choice for him. So far he's never really used magic effectively in his plans - it's just his his get out of jail free card.

So yeah, wizard.

SaintRidley
2012-03-03, 04:00 PM
The kind of person who loves the challenge of power-gaming something hard to power-game? I can see that.

I don't understand the double 9 joke at all.

Double 9s refers to having both 9th level arcane and 9th level divine spells.

I'd go with this

Bard 1/Wizard 5/Good Fort save class 2/Ur-Priest 2/Sublime Chord 2/Mystic Theurge 8

Regularguy
2012-03-03, 04:14 PM
Well, Elan is ultimately a bard because he's a fun-loving free spirit, and not interested in whether he's a powerful character.

Whereas Nale is a sorc/fig/rog because he's a bad power-gamer and prone to overly-complicated plans.

I disagree, somewhat; I believe Nale is a sorc/fig/rog because Tarquin flatly told him bards are underpowered; Tarquin later clarified -- too late -- that he meant they should be running things, but the damage was done.

Connington
2012-03-03, 05:39 PM
Later nothing. I'm guessing that Nale heard the exact same rant that Elan did, but he probably dropped any ideas he had of becoming a bard the moment he heard the word "underpowered", no matter the reason. You have to avoid looking like a fool, even if it means being one.

Gift Jeraff
2012-03-03, 05:53 PM
A fighter/rogue/sorcerer/dashing swordsman, with something between a rapier and a longsword. He has an equal number of illusion and enchantment spells, and his magic colour is green.

AgentofOdd
2012-03-03, 07:35 PM
Druid 9/Bard 1/Sublime Chord 1/Fochlucan Lyrist 9This is rather off-topic, but how would you qualify for Sublime Chord with only 1 level in Bard?

denthor
2012-03-03, 07:45 PM
Nale is a sorc/fig/rog Lawful Evil

Elan Bard Chaotic Good

Anel/lena Druid True nuetral Raised away from all society and brought up to love nature and the gentle strength of the sun and the power of a winter storm.

Flame of Anor
2012-03-03, 07:52 PM
Whereas Nale is a sorc/fig/rog because he's a bad power-gamer and prone to overly-complicated plans. (I'll bet he's got a build plan that will make him really powerful when he's 20th level.)

I've never seen Fighter abbreviated "fig" before... :smallbiggrin:

Gray Mage
2012-03-03, 09:30 PM
Both Elan and Nale are jack of all trades type of characters, so Anel/Lena would probably be too. So, I think a factotum would fit.

Dr._Demento
2012-03-03, 09:54 PM
Hmmm, Elan has natural charm and uses magic for deception. Nale has natural deception and uses magic for charming people.

Thus a neutral triplet would either use a charm to be natural (and thus be a golem) and use deception for magic (and thus be a charlatan (rogue?)), or he would use deception to be natural (changeling?) and use a charm for magic (artifacts!).

MammonAzrael
2012-03-03, 09:59 PM
Both Elan and Nale are jack of all trades type of characters, so Anel/Lena would probably be too. So, I think a factotum would fit.

I'm liking this one the most thus far.

SaintRidley
2012-03-04, 12:31 PM
This is rather off-topic, but how would you qualify for Sublime Chord with only 1 level in Bard?

I knew there was something wrong with the build when I saw it.

But I went ahead and put it down anyway because I couldn't remember what.

Going to fix that now.

Emulgator
2012-03-04, 12:42 PM

I would love to see how some power gamer makes it.
On topic: Elan has high Cha, Nale Wis, so Neal must have good wis, am I right?

RMS Oceanic
2012-03-04, 01:12 PM
I'm throwing my weight behind Factotum.

Or perhaps a Gestalt Bard//Fighter.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-04, 01:35 PM
A (variant) druid? The alignment would fit, and they'd have similar abilities given the classes to the other two.

Gray Mage
2012-03-04, 01:44 PM
I would love to see how some power gamer makes it.

It'd probably involve triple 9s. :smalltongue:

Jay R
2012-03-04, 01:46 PM
The actual character class is "one-time gag".

faustin
2012-03-04, 02:36 PM
Actually, Elan, Nale and Anel are the same person, born three times, like Jeremy Clockson and Lobsang Ludd from the Thief of Time novel. They are living time paradox.

veti
2012-03-04, 04:14 PM
Anel is not an adventurer at all, he's the dutiful type who stays home and takes care of his mother. Someone has to.

MammonAzrael
2012-03-04, 04:57 PM
Anel is not an adventurer at all, he's the dutiful type who stays home and takes care of his mother. Someone has to.

But Elan was raised with the mother, and Nale with the father. Therefore, Anel/Lena must be either an "orphan" (or perhaps a half siblings, one for each parent?!).