PDA

View Full Version : and the dead shall rise, and the world shall belong to the commander of the condemned

Vixsor Lumin
2012-03-03, 03:37 PM
I'm going to be playing in an evil sandbox campaign. Were starting at ECL 10 and PvP is banned until lvl 15. I was thinking about being a dread necromancer, but the race and feats are undecided. So does anyone have any build ideas? Also we are getting WBl 1 but we can sacrifice experience during the build to make magic items, and I'm not sure what to make, so help there would be nice to.

SilverLeaf167
2012-03-03, 04:01 PM
Definitely take the Tomb-Tainted Soul and Corpsecrafter feats from Libris Mortis. Tomb-Tainted Soul makes you heal from negative energy, the way undead do, giving you unlimited healing. Corpsecrafter makes your undead tougher and is the base for a nifty feat chain. Depending on how many Clerics you expect to be facing, you might also want Necromantic Presence, which gives your undead turn resistance.

I remember building a level 10 Dread Necro some time ago, but I think it's long lost already. Uh... buy a Cloak of Charisma?

Vixsor Lumin
2012-03-03, 04:25 PM
Alright ill look into those :smallsmile: just gotta dig up my libris mortis haha, also what spells and feats do you think I would need to make a doom cannon?

I give you: The Soul Cannon. About 100 captured prisoners are level drained all at once and the resulting energy is unleashed in a beam of power. They are first torured and liquid pain extracters harvest them and use the agony to power the machine and whatever else is needed. Those that die become wights that's I command and use to kill everyone. Its too large to be a regular sized cannon so it would have to be built aboard a giant boat or air ship, but I would prefer it be on some kind of floating fortress in the sky.

Calanon
2012-03-03, 05:30 PM
Alright ill look into those :smallsmile: just gotta dig up my libris mortis haha, also what spells and feats do you think I would need to make a doom cannon?

I give you: The Soul Cannon. About 100 captured prisoners are level drained all at once and the resulting energy is unleashed in a beam of power. They are first torured and liquid pain extracters harvest them and use the agony to power the machine and whatever else is needed. Those that die become wights that's I command and use to kill everyone. Its too large to be a regular sized cannon so it would have to be built aboard a giant boat or air ship, but I would prefer it be on some kind of floating fortress in the sky.

Sounds like an Infernal Machine :smallconfused: personally I find machines powered by souls (i.e. ALL infernal/abyssal technology) to be very effective in striking fear into mortals

I remember once crafting a Colossus that pretty much ran on souls Anyone that died within its anti-magic field become a wight and under the creators command (you) its rather easy to fuel really since your most likely only going to use it to dominate the world takes SOOOOO much to make though :smallannoyed: I remember it costing like 1 mil GP to construct and consuming an entire level to get it moving takes a hell of a craft check to make anyway :smalltongue: so it really was a one time thing to use.

OT: Your Soul Cannon is pretty vile if I say so myself :smallamused: You'll need some spells I recommend: Soul Shackle , Liquid Agony, and if your really feeling sadistic Steal Life from the victims (Become younger with each raid).

If you want to be a conqueror the whole "Wights" thing works :smalltongue:

Vixsor Lumin
2012-03-03, 06:31 PM
Why thank you :smallwink: I like the sound of your collossus. In fact I might try to make an undead version that uses up most or all of my controllable HD

Luca
2012-03-03, 06:43 PM
Right, Ring of the deadwalker (/deadwalker's ring) from complete mage adds yet more stats to undead you raise that doesn't stack with desecrate. Rod of Undead mastery lets you control an even greater quantity of undead. Phylactery of undead turning increases your rebuking capacity. Obvious cloak of charisma increases your undead capacity.

Corpsecrafter and likely destructive retribution, maybe some of its cousins. Get yourself leadership and a bard cohort with requiem. Ideally one going into warchanter with IC optimisation and song of legion.

123456789blaaa
2012-03-03, 07:11 PM
You'll probably want to check out the new dread necromancer handbook
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872470/New_Dread_Necromancer_Handbook and the reanimated dread necromancer handbook on these boards http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214212

In my opinion you should check out both since they both have usefull information. The reanimated dn handbook is shorter than the other but has better optimization advice.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-03-03, 07:55 PM
Alright ill definitely check those out thanks :smallsmile: I forgot to mention, on items I'm only allowed in core, BoVD, and HoH.

Coidzor
2012-03-03, 08:20 PM
What material is on the table for feats and classes?

You'll be wanting an azun-gund/nightcaller's whistle, though.

Believe it or not, Bards (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=7tnsacdqjjvgkiqv18atqbr7h1&topic=3718.0) can be quite interesting with necromancy. Or Dread Necromancers who go into PrC Bard or Hearfire Fanner.

Fistfuls of d6s per minion (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9830). Turns your skeletons into howitzers. At the very least, you'll want something like a bard/crusader or bard/warblade for a cohort.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-03-13, 08:51 PM
We get HoH and BoVD and core. I have some feats from libris mortis, I want to limit what I pull from outside of those. I don't really want to play a bard, but I might pick up one as a cohort. Now my question is what are some good undead to have as minions? I have an animate dead cap of 72 HD, a control undead cap of 54 HD, and a commanding cap of 9 HD. I want to give my 3 teammates a decent minion, but I obviouslly want the best one for myself :smallwink: and still have some left over for misc undead we may run into, or some mooks to send at the good guys to use up spells. I'm also thinking about getting a few wights so I can have a self propegating army. I'm looking into getting a rod of undead mastery so if I get it ill post it.