PDA

View Full Version : Negating a vampire's dominate effect?

Coidzor
2012-03-03, 06:22 PM
So. Had some NPC allies and PCs dominated by a vampire. Anyway to save them wihout beating them in combat nonlethally first? It's Supernatural or I'd just dispel them.

Break Enchantment work or something more exotic necessary? Though, I admit, the 1 minute casting time is a bit of a pain.

Douglas
2012-03-03, 06:29 PM
Resurgence from Spell Compendium can do it.

Protection from Evil or Magic Circle Against Evil would provide temporary relief.

Shadowknight12
2012-03-03, 06:30 PM
Cast Protection from Evil on them. Renew when it ends. Rinse and repeat until the effect wears off.

Coidzor
2012-03-03, 06:40 PM
Cast Protection from Evil on them. Renew when it ends. Rinse and repeat until the effect wears off.

D'oh! Thank you so much.

By the by, can one five-foot step after casting the spell but before discharging it and then discharge it in the same round?

Shadowknight12
2012-03-03, 06:57 PM
D'oh! Thank you so much.

By the by, can one five-foot step after casting the spell but before discharging it and then discharge it in the same round?

You can take a 5-foot step before, during, or after your other actions in the round.

Keyword here is "during."

Coidzor
2012-03-03, 07:04 PM
Ah. Thank you again. :smallbiggrin:

The joys of picking up a character after going on hiatus! :smallamused:

JeminiZero
2012-03-03, 08:52 PM
For hedging out mind control, I personally prefer Disobedience (Complete Scoundrel pg 97) over Magic Circle. Lasts hrs/level, making it good for the whole day at mid-levels.

The downside is that it only affects 1 target, but since it has a range and is level 3, you can use a Lesser Rod of Chaining to chain it to the whole party.

Coidzor
2012-03-03, 08:58 PM
Ooo, nifty.

Thankfully though, the vampire has been slain in the boss battle.

Unfortunately he managed to kill both of them, twice in the case of one of our allies and destroyed the body to the point I couldn't use revivify on the other. The second one was offed by a single spell after I got off a revenance on him after using the magic circle against evil technique to get both of them in one action between attempting to dispel the boss's protective shell to get to the next boss form.