PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5/Pathfinder] Hyborian Adventures (PEACH)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-03, 10:24 PM
Hyborian Adventures
For use with Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 and Pathfinder

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6083/conanfanartbylivingrope.jpg
Amazing drawing by livingrope (http://livingrope.deviantart.com/).

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."
— Robert E. Howard, The Phoenix on the Sword, 1932.

Variant RulesRaces
The only available character race is Human. However, each character gains a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice.

Classes
There are only three character classes: Warrior, Rogue, and Expert. Warriors and Experts are identical to the NPC classes of the same name found in the DMG. Rogues are like warriors, but with d6 hit dice, a +1 bonus per level to Dextarity checks involving stealth, medium BAB progression, good Reflex saves, bad Fortitude saves, and the Sneak Attack class feature of the Rogue.

There are no XP penalties for multi-classing.

Hit Points & Damage
Characters start with hit points equal to their constitution score. After that, they gain hit points normally.

All damage dice are doubled. 1d10 becomes 2d10, 2d6+2 becomes 4d6+2, ect.

Characters regain a number of hit points per hour equal to their level. Double that while resting and relaxing.

Skills
Skills are not used. Instead, whenever a character wants to do something that would require a skill check, they instead make an ability check with the appropriate ability. If the appropriate ability score is higher than the DC, they succeed automatically.

During character creation, each player chooses three broad areas where their characters are talented (such as Stealth, Acrobatics, or Communication). Their character gains a +2 bonus to all ability checks which fall under that category.

Whenever a character gains an odd-numbered level in the Expert class, they can choose to either gain another specialization, or increase the bonus granted by a specialization by +1.

Feats
Characters gain a new feat at every odd-numbered level, instead of at the normal rate. Characters of the Expert class start with an additional feat, but do not gain that additional feat if they multi-class to Expert later on.

In addition, characters with the Expert class can use feat slots to gain spells. They must take two level 0 spells before they can take any level 1 spells, two level 1 spells before they can take any level 2 spells, and so on. These spells are cast at a caster level equal to the caster's Expert level. The available spells are ...

Level 0
Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds, Inflict Minor Wounds, Light, Ghost Sound, Daze.

Level 1
Bane, Cause Fear, Command, Doom, Deathwatch, Obscuring Mist, Cure Light Wounds, Inflict Light Wounds, Doom, Ray of Enfeeblement.

Level 2
Cure Moderate Wounds, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Hold Person, Heat Metal, Fog Cloud, Web, Darkness, False Life, Ghoul Touch, Scare.

Level 3
Animate Dead, Deeper Darkness, Cure Serious Wounds, Inflict Serious Wounds, Remove Disease, Poison, Tongues, Ray of Exhaustion, Vampyric Touch.

Level 4
Cure Serious Wounds, Inflict Serious Wounds, Giant Vermin, Black Tentacles, Confusion, Crushing Despair, Animate Dead, Fear.

Level 5
Mass Cure Light Wounds, Mass Inflict Light Wounds, Insect Plague, Skrying, Dream, Nightmare, Waves of Fatigue, Dominate Person, Mind Fog.

Equipment
Armour does not provide an AC bonus, but instead provides DR/magic equal to its AC bonus. Light armour reduces AC by 1, medium armour reduces AC by 3, and heavy armour reduces AC by 5. Shields work normally, increasing AC.

Magic items are very rare and precious. The highest bonus a magic item can achieve is +2, and magic item costs are tripled.

Whenever a character rolls a natural 1 with a non-magical weapon, the weapon has a 50% chance of breaking. If the weapon is old, rusty, cheaply made, or made from poor material, the chance is increased to 100%.

Unarmed Attacks
Successful unarmed attacks deal 1d6 lethal damage when a character is reduced to 0 hit points by an unnarmed attack, the attacker can choose to act as if they were felled by nonlethal damage.

Alignment
Alignment is not used.

Content
Sample Character
Amnon the Scoundrel
Warrior 1/Rogue 1
BAB +1
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10 Cha 10
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +0
HP 21, AC 11, DR 2/magic (Leather Armour)
Talents: Stealth, Lock-Picking, Bluffing
Class Features & Feats: Sneak Attack 1d6, Toughness
Attacks: Shortsword +4 (2d6+3)

Monsters
Massive Spider
Vermin 3 (Large)
BAB +2
Str 16, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 12 Cha 4
Fort + 6, Ref +4, Will +4
HP 29, AC 12, DR 3/magic (Natural Armour)
Talents: Stealth
Traits & Feats: Toughness, Power Attack, Web Walk, Vermin Traits
Attacks: Fangs +5 (2d6+3 + Poison)
Poison: The target must make a DC 14 Fortitude save. On a failure, they take an additional 2d6 points of damage. The DC is Constitution-based.

Void Thing
Aberration 4 (Large)
BAB +3
Str 20, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 10
Fort + 1, Ref +1, Will +4
HP 28, AC 10, DR 5/magic (Natural Armour)
Talents: Inspiring Horror
Traits & Feats: Aberration Traits, Weapon Focus (Tentacle)
Attack: Tentacle +9 (1d8+5 + Shock)
Full Attack: 2 Tentacles +9/+4 (1d8+5 + Shock)
Shock: The target must make a DC 15 Fortitude save. On a failure, they are shaken until the end of the Void Thing's next turn. If they fail two or more such saving throws during the same round, they are staggered instead.

This is my attempt to emulate the feel of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories by heavily house-ruling the d20 System. Please tell me what you think.

ngilop
2012-03-03, 11:19 PM
Its nice, though there were witches and wizards on the many Conan tales so i do not see why at least maybe including the adept, true necromancer and such in the game owul dbe 'ou tof touch' with Conan lore

take a look at the conan D20 stuff, you have a lot similar stuff already and maybe you will find some neat ideas to glean from it,.

i could be wrong but to me it feels that the conan d20 feel is they (the designers) went for a more 'true to conan feel' than an d20 rules where wizards win standard.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-03, 11:29 PM
Its nice, though there were witches and wizards on the many Conan tales so i do not see why at least maybe including the adept, true necromancer and such in the game owul dbe 'ou tof touch' with Conan lore

If you look under the feats section, you will notice that it is possible for characters to use up feat slots to gain spells.

Shyftir
2012-03-04, 02:47 PM
This screams to be E6, with perhaps a "ritual magic" system added in.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-04, 05:04 PM
This screams to be E6

I don't know. By the time Conan was a king, he was far above level 6. I would guess somewhere between 8 and 10. Or maybe even higher.

Yitzi
2012-03-09, 03:02 PM
A couple of questions:
1. In the absence of skills, is there any advantage to taking the Expert class instead of Warrior on non-feat levels (other than a different good save)?
2. What is the caster level for spells?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-09, 03:49 PM
I just revised the variant rules.

A couple of questions:
1. In the absence of skills, is there any advantage to taking the Expert class instead of Warrior on non-feat levels (other than a different good save)?
2. What is the caster level for spells?

My revisions address both of these issues.