PDA

View Full Version : The Champion (E6 Paladin Replacement/Variant) PEACH

Nakun
2012-03-03, 10:55 PM
I've been working on a general E6 set of rules as part of a balance issue fix for 3.5/Pathfinder/What-have-you. The Paladin (3.5) and the Warlock (3.5) were my original baseline classes when I started about a year ago. Right now, I don't have a good context for balance or comparison, but I think I'm aiming to move all of my classes to Tier 3.

This is my paladin class, but it's meant to function as either a paladin or blackguard, depending on the chosen alignment.

I'm looking for any critiques, flavor, theme, and balance. I haven't tested this class specifically, but it is already the result of number crunching and playtesting on and off for about a year.

I would like to list my sources for this work, but there are only a few I'm aware of and many I've forgotten. So, I suppose in general credit goes to this forum and those who have posted here over the years. Many thanks!

The Champion

Champions are those individuals who's devotion stands out above the rest. They are chosen to dedicate their lives to a cause that is greater than themselves and advance the cause of his deity in the material plane. For this service, they are granted with power beyond that of mere mortals.
Champions are divine knights who either strive to protect the weak and bring justice to the lands or revel in the terror and destruction they bring.

Role: Champions are primarily melee combatants, but unlike fighters or warlords, they focus on using the power of their deities to harm their foes and support their allies.

Alignment: Champions are either Lawful Good or Lawful Evil.

I'm considering expanding this because the Blackguard champions could conceivably be Chaotic Evil (although that does put some strain on their ability to lead evil armies efficiently.) I can't see Chaotic Good being an alignment choice, but I'm open to suggestions.

Hit Die: d10

Abilities: Charisma is the most important ability score for a Champion because it determines the power and frequency of his Smite ability and adds bonuses to his other class features. Strength and Constitution help a Champion engage in melee combat. Wisdom is useful for powering the Champion's Channel Energy class feature and several class skills.

Class Skills: The Champion's class skills (and the key ability for each) are: Craft(Int), Diplomacy(Cha), Handle Animal(Cha), Heal(Wis), Intimidate(Cha), Knowledge(History)(Int), Knowledge(The Planes)(Int), Knowledge(Religion)(Int), Perception(Wis), Profession(Any)(Wis), Ride(Dex), Sense Motive(Wis)

Skill Ranks per Level: 2 + int mod (x4 at 1st level)

{table=head]Table 1: The Champion[/table]
{table=head]
[b]Level |
[b]BAB |
Fort |
Ref |
Will | Special
1st | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Aura, Smite Cha Mod / Day, Detect, Oath
2nd | +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Channel Energy +1d6, Fearless
3rd | +3 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Smite 1+Cha Mod / Day, Bolstering Aura
4th | +4 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Channel Energy +2d6, Improved Smite
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Smite 2 + Cha Mod / Day, Radiant Aura
6th | +6/+1 | +5 | +1 | +5 | Channel Energy +3d6,
[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Champions gain five weapon proficiencies at first level. Champions are proficient with all Armor (Light, Medium, Heavy) and Shields (except Tower Shields.)

I'm using a variant rule for weapon proficiencies. Essentially, players can choose weapon groups such as Bows, Heavy Blades, Greatswords, Polearms, etc. for their characters to be proficient with. As a comparison, fighters get 7(or possibly 8...I'm still undecided) proficiencies and clerics get 3.

Aura (SU): Champions give of an aura of either good or evil depending on their alignment.

Smite (SU): Champions are especially adept at harming foes of opposing alignments. A number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier (minimum of 1), Champions may attempt to smite a foe that is either evil (for good-aligned champions) or good (for evil aligned champions.) Before making an attack role, the champion must declare that they are attempting a smite. The Champion adds his Charisma modifier to the attack roll and his Champion level to the damage roll.

If the champion attempts to smite a creature of the incorrect alignment, they receive no bonuses to attack or damage rolls and they lose the use of the smite.

A smite attack bypasses Damage reduction as a magic weapon.

A Champion gains one additional use of smite per day at 3rd and again at 5th level.

Detect (SL): Good Champions may use Detect Evil at will, as the spell. Evil Champions may use Detect Good at will, as the spell. Doing so is a minor action in combat.

Oath (SU): All Champions make an Oath that they must uphold at any cost. Champions must always act in accordance with his alignment and must not knowingly associate with or assist those who are diametrically opposed to their alignment; doing so causes the champion to lose all their class features except weapon and armor proficiencies.

In addition, a Champion may select an additional Oath at first level from those presented below:

Charity: The Champion must give at least 25% of their treasure as tithes or alms. In exchange the Champion gains the use of Lay on Hands.
Lay on Hands (SU): A Champion may restore hit points equal to his Champion level x his Charisma Modifier per day to their allies (the Champion cannot use this ability to heal himself.) This healing may be divided among any number of uses within the day. Each use of the healing requires the Champion to touch their target and takes a standard action in combat.

Chastity: The Champion may have no sexual/sensual/romantic relations. In exchange he receives a sacred/profane bonus equal to his charisma modifier on saves versus enchantments.

Humility: A Champion cannot receive goods, services, lands, ranks, or titles as rewards for any of his deeds (but may keep treasure he finds as normal.) In exchange, he receives a bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks equal to his Champion level

Mercy: The Champion may choose to deal non-lethal damage with his smites.
Considering making this applicable to all attacks.

Vengeance: When making a smite attack against a creature that damaged the Champion on the previous turn, the bonus to the damage roll is equal to 2 x his Champion level.

Vigilance: A Champion works to bring justice to a particular individual or group. When taking actions that directly contribute to achieving this goal, the Champion receives a sacred/profane bonus equal to 1/2 his Champion level on attack and damage rolls, skill and ability checks, and saving throws. When not directly working towards this goal, the Champion takes a -1 penalty on all attack and damage rolls, skill and ability checks, and saving throws.
Once a Champion has declared he will bring a individual/group to justice the choice may not be changed until that individual/group has been brought to justice by the Champion or otherwise.

Channel Energy (SU): A Champion gains the ability to channel either positive or negative energy in the same way a cleric can. Positive energy heals the living whereas negative energy harms the living. A Champion may channel energy a number of times per day equal to 1/2 his Champion level plus his wisdom modifier.

Uses of channeling positive energy may be exchanged for making an attempt to turn undead; uses of channeling negative energy may be used for making an attempt to rebuke undead.

Channeling positive energy is a standard action.

Fearless (SU): At 2nd level, a Champion becomes immune to fear effects and spells.

Bolstering Aura (SU): At 3rd level, allies within 30ft of the Champion may add his Charisma Bonus as a sacred/profane bonus to their saving throws.

Improved Smite (SU): At 4th level, the Champion may select one of the effects below to add to their smite attacks:

Flaming: +1d6 Fire damage

Bludgeoning: Targets that take damage from the Champion's smite are knocked back 5ft and fall prone.

Binding: Targets that take damage from the Champion's smite are affected as if by the Hold Person spell for their next action.

Stinging: Targets that take damage from the Champion's smite take damage equal to the Champion's Charisma modifier on their next action.

Radiant Aura (SU): Once per day, as a standard action, the Champion may unleash a radiant burst with a radius of 15ft, centered on the Champion. Allies in the area gain temporary hit points equal to 5 + the Champion's Charisma modifier. These hit points last for 1/hour per level. Opponents in the burst must make a fortitude save (DC = 10 + 1/2 Champion level + Charisma modifier) or become stunned.

Problems I see now:

I feel like their needs to be something at 6th level as a kind of capstone, but I don't have any good ideas that would keep in line with the E6 power levels. I'm thinking maybe granting them DR/evil or DR/good...I also feel like the Champion might need a way to overcome DR/good or DR/evil, the obvious place to add that would be under Improved smite, but just bypassing DR seems underwhelming. (EDIT: I'm adding bypassing DR/Magic to smites for now.)

Gnorman gave his Zealot Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216635) the ability to have Holy/Unholy/Axiomatic/Anarchic properties, and I think I might steal those as improved smites...

Nakun
2012-03-03, 10:56 PM
Champion Feats

Epic Level Champion
Prerequisites: Champion Level 6
Benefit: You gain an additional 1d10 + Constitution modifier hit points. Your Base Attack Bonus increases by 1.
Special: You may take this feat more than once; it's effects stack.

Extra Smite
Prerequisites: Champion level 6, Epic Level Champion, Base Attack Bonus +8
Benefit: You can use your Smite an additional time per day.

Nakun
2012-03-03, 10:58 PM
Reserved just in case...

Grimsage Matt
2012-03-05, 11:13 AM
Recomendation for the Epic Champion feat, Make it so they can only take it once per CR. Otherwise they can gain 5d10+5XCon mod hp per CR. Not to mention +5 BAB per CR, so it could get broken fast.

Tanuki Tales
2012-03-05, 12:15 PM
I would suggest just having the table say Smite Foe and when you get your extra uses have it say Smite Foe +1/day or something similar. Right now it just looks weird and clunky how you have it on the table.