PDA

View Full Version : (PF) The Ideal Tomb Raider Character

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-03-04, 12:19 AM
my concept of a character that makes a living as a tomb raider (read, adventurer who prefers dungeons and ruins) is a bit difficult to pin down. I've always figured a character who has a somewhat martial bent, has a decent set of skills, and is at least marginally versed in arcane magic. Oh, and probably trap finding.

In any case, there is no out of the box character class that fits my perception of what a tomb raider should be. The closest I feel I can get is a Ranger/Wizard/Arcane Archer. martial bent, decent skills, and a bit of magic talent.

sadly, the Arcane Archer kinda sucks. the Eldritch Knight is a better caster, but hasn't got the skill set I feel a tomb raiding adventurer should have. Same for Magus.

I just feel a tomb raider should have a thirst for knowledge, both in skills and magic. I feel they should be competent combatants.

So, can anyone out there change my mind? Change my perception? throw a build out there? Anything would be cool, its a character concept I've enjoyed, but never been able to create it as well as I'd like.

Anyway, thanks all! :smallbiggrin:

SilverLeaf167
2012-03-04, 12:41 AM
I think just a straight Factotum would be good for this. You can find the class in Dungeonscape. Basically, through passive abilities and the use of per-encounter Inspiration Points, you get your Int bonus to everything, as well as other nifty stuff, such as Sneak Attack. It also has ALL the skills, a couple spells per day and a medium BAB.

I just love the class.

EDIT: Oops, never mind, didn't notice this is PF. If you're allowed to use 3.5 material though, I'd still recommend this.

Blyte
2012-03-04, 12:45 AM
My DM often complains that our group of players myself included just tries to min/max combat monsters, and it turns into a game of him trying to tweak encounters enough to give us a challenge. I was entertaining the notion of playing a character like this in a future game.

I agree that the ranger or ranger/rogue would fit this concept nicely.

I guess you would take the favored terrain(s) "ruins" and "caves".

and favored enemies aberrations and undead, for a start. (unless you take the guide archetype of course)

dipping rogue is likely more favorable than actually taking the trapper archetype because, trapper causes the ranger to lose spells and therefore lose out on a lot of healing wands as a resource.

the guide archetype is a pretty nice concept because you could play your character as a respected or notorious archeologist for hire.. or one seeking adventurers to aid in his expeditions.

besides rangers... rogues, inquisitors, and summoners (particularly the "master summoner" with a skill-dolon.) all would make fine crypt delvers.. I'm sure there are plenty of other options as well that would make good spelunkers.

edit: alternatively, I think playing a small monster race who was raised in dungeons would make a very interesting role playing option. a goblin ranger with a wolf or even dire rat animal companion would be a nice start.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-03-04, 01:12 AM
yeah, I often come back to Ranger/Rogue as a tomb raider type as well, but the lack of arcane spells bug me. I dunno, i usually go half and half for that kind of character.

It definitely works, and with a similar character I finished the Worlds Largest Dungeon. the access to healing wands is nice, and TWF works very well as a Ranger/Rogue. It doesnt work as well for either of those classes individually: Rangers lack damage, and rogues miss a lot. Combine them, and they do fine.

I never know what favored enemy to take though. Aberrations is a good start, don't know why I never do that. Favored Terrain is easy, underground. (which counts for dungeons.)

ugh, I feel a ranger/rogue fling coming on again, haha.

I wonder if Two Weapon Feinting is worth it for a 50-50 ranger rogue... hm. Gonna have to fiddle around with it a bit.

Crasical
2012-03-04, 01:15 AM
What are your feelings toward the Archaeologist Bard Archetype?

Edit: For added madness, add the Geisha archetype as well, and play yourself up as a gentleman explorer, since you now have a not-inconsiderable bonus to Craft (calligraphy) checks, Diplomacy checks, Knowledge (nobility) checks, and Perform (Oratory). You may have to be british, however, as sitting down for tea-time (Tea Ceremony ability) grants the bonuses to yourself and your allies that an Archaologist can't normally grant.

grarrrg
2012-03-04, 02:13 AM
Pathfinder Delver (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/pathfinder-delver).
[/thread]

To elaborate, it's a 10 level PrC the basics are same as Rogue (HP/Skills/Bab/Saves).

1st level gives 'Bardic' Knowledge, and Trapfinding, AND the ability to ALWAYS take 10 on Disable Device or Stealth Checks.

2nd level is Surefooted, never slowed by (non-magic) Difficult Terrain. Also gets starts getting Trap Sense at this level.

3rd is Guardbreaker, you can use your Trap Sense bonus as a Favored Enemy bonus on Undead/Oozes/Constructs (stacks with Favored Enemy if you have it)

More/Improved abilities at higher levels (rerolls/cheating death/etc...)

The only real Pre-Reqs are Skills, you can enter the class as early as level 6
Enter with choice of:
Alchemist (Crypt Breaker)
Bard (Archaeologist)
Druid (Cave Druid)
Rogue (normal or any Archetype)
Ranger (Deep Walker)

Calanon
2012-03-04, 02:17 AM
I have read no other comments and barely even read the original post.

Factotum is what your looking for; Now lets see how hard I just got ninja'd :smallbiggrin:

Answer: INTO OBLIVION

Grommen
2012-03-04, 03:03 AM
my concept of a character that makes a living as a tomb raider (read, adventurer who prefers dungeons and ruins) is a bit difficult to pin down. I've always figured a character who has a somewhat martial bent, has a decent set of skills, and is at least marginally versed in arcane magic. Oh, and probably trap finding.

That is a bard you just described. Minus the singing and dancing part. Average BAB, access to arcane spells, and a Bardic Knowledge. Now of coarse we don't want to sing and dance to perform skills, so instead of singing as his skill, you take oration.

In other words instead of singing to bolster peoples abilities, you tell them about the "So and so Tribe of the East Whatever". Give him a Pistol, whip, and a mighty fine hat and you have Abslom Smith. :smallbiggrin:

Also, and it's late and I'm not looking it up, look at the Pathfinder Prestige Class in the Base book. Long and short the Pathfinder Society is all about digging up old dead fossles and all that good junk. I think the class gets a lot of lore abilities.

Wings of Peace
2012-03-04, 03:08 AM
Another vote for Factotum, with lots of Font of Inspiration if you're allowed web sources.

JadePhoenix
2012-03-04, 05:26 AM
Since he said Pathfinder instead of 3.P, I don't think Factotum is really an option.

How about Magus into aforementioned Pathfinder Delver?

deuxhero
2012-03-05, 12:50 AM
Horizon Walker, even with PF's nerfs, lets you mirror a decent number of arcane abilities.

Chained Birds
2012-03-05, 02:24 AM
I'd go with Crypt Breaker Alchemist. You'd get Trapfinding like a rogue, special bombs that work better against undead and constructs (but worse against everything else), and you start out and gain more useful "spells" throughout your journey.
And they can be pretty rigged with potions and 2nd level spell slots (Alchemical Allocation) + Enhance or Extend Potion discoveries. Why waste a +5 Oil of Magic Weapon when you can slosh the stuff in your mouth for a second, then spit it onto your weapon so it lasts for the whole day. And you get to keep the Oil/Potion for later use.

kme
2012-03-05, 05:54 AM
I would either go with straight Rogue focusing on UMD (with possible dips in Fighter/Ranger and/or Shadow Dancer)

The second route would be to go with Arcane Trickster.

Corlindale
2012-03-05, 06:37 AM
I vote for Archaeologist Bard. They get the full bard spell list, a huge skill list, trapfinding + -sense, Evasion and access to Rogue Talents.

DDogwood
2012-03-05, 08:43 AM
I've got to second the Archaeologist bard archetype. Basically, it has all of the features of the Bard - a mix of magic and combat abilities, with a heavy focus on knowledge skills - except for the music and performance abilities, which it trades out for rogue abilities like trap finding and rogue talents.

I mean, the archetype practically says "Indiana Jones with spellcasting". I don't see anything else that even comes close in Pathfinder.