PDA

View Full Version : Can you perform swift/immediate actions while slowed?

JadePhoenix
2012-03-04, 11:48 AM
So, can you?

Mari01
2012-03-04, 01:12 PM
So, can you?

A slowed creature can take only a single move action or standard action each turn, but not both (nor may it take full-round actions).

I'd have to say no.

Skyrunner
2012-03-04, 01:16 PM
The description for swift action :

A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. You can perform only a single swift action per turn.

The description for free action:

Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.

So I'd say yes.

I think swift actions are basically free actions, except that swift actions can only be taken once a turn. At least, that probably was the reason for splitting the two.

If one cannot take free actions while slowed, then one cannot take swift actions. That is what I claim.

Silva Stormrage
2012-03-04, 01:17 PM
I had the same question earlier, though I only got one response it was a well thought out one.

Thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197750

ericgrau
2012-03-04, 02:02 PM
I'd say as written, no, but slow was written when there were no swift actions. There were free actions instead for swift things and these could be done while slowed so I think swift should be allowed too. Otherwise you get unintended rules effects from the addition of swift actions to the system.

The rule in Complete Arcane in Stormrage's link seems to remove this problem as well.

Ernir
2012-03-04, 04:29 PM
I say yes.

A slowed creature can take only a single move action or standard action each turn, but not both (nor may it take full-round actions).
I read the "only" there as having to do with the number of move actions and standard actions you can take while the spell is in effect, not an absolute on all actions you can take in a round.

If the sentence read "the only action a slowed creature can take is a single move action or a single standard action" or something similar, I'd read it the other way around.

gomipile
2012-03-04, 09:40 PM
Id' have to say that the RAI would be that you can take swift actions while slowed, if only because sometimes the only way to do something is via a swift action. For example, if a slowed Warblade wanted to only take a swift action to recover maneuvers, and no other action in that round at all, he should be able to do that.