PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] wizard familiar question

macdaddy
2012-03-04, 02:30 PM
If I have a wizard and my familiar is a hawk (+14 spot, +2 alertness == +16 spot), when the wizard makes a spot check, how is it done?

Does the wizard make a spot check on his skill ranks, bonuses/etc, and adds +2 for an "Aid another" check from the hawk?

Does the hawk get a separate check, with possibly +2 from aid another from the wizard?

Does the wizard use the hawk's skill ranks, then his own modifiers(alertness, stats, etc)?

I am trying to determine which familiar I should take. I will have ranks in UMD, so I am not sure if its best to have a Hawk, which *may* up my spot check to very high levels (14 + 2 + 1 = 17), or if its better to have a raven who can speak, then carry and use a wand, or other magic item that needs a command word, via my UMD skills.

Thanx in advance

gbprime
2012-03-04, 06:54 PM
If I have a wizard and my familiar is a hawk (+14 spot, +2 alertness == +16 spot), when the wizard makes a spot check, how is it done?

Does the wizard make a spot check on his skill ranks, bonuses/etc, and adds +2 for an "Aid another" check from the hawk?

Does the hawk get a separate check, with possibly +2 from aid another from the wizard?

Does the wizard use the hawk's skill ranks, then his own modifiers(alertness, stats, etc)?

I am trying to determine which familiar I should take. I will have ranks in UMD, so I am not sure if its best to have a Hawk, which *may* up my spot check to very high levels (14 + 2 + 1 = 17), or if its better to have a raven who can speak, then carry and use a wand, or other magic item that needs a command word, via my UMD skills.

Thanx in advance

The wizard and the familiar each make their own checks based on their own skills. The familiar gets the advantage that he can use the wizard's skill, but the reverse is not true. Best case, the hawk makes the good check and the wizard adds 2 for aid another, as you said.