PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Minions, carrying and such

Ryulin18
2012-03-04, 05:35 PM
My character, an anthropomorphic toad cleric has 5 ft movement and +6 wis to balance me. I modelled him on Yoda and now I need my Skywalker to carry me everywhere, a la this (http://www.philipcoppens.com/sw_luke_yoda.jpg) .

Should I get a hireling for the job? 1-3sp a day is a only a pittance but he might be un reliable in the heat of battle.

My other option is a cohort, but my DM has disallowed the leadership feat. Any way to get a single cohort without leadership?

Or just a straight up riding dog.

Urpriest
2012-03-04, 05:42 PM
The Apprentice feat (PHBII) upgrades once you're high enough level into the Mentor feat, which gives you an Apprentice with the Apprentice feat. A flavorful option, though it's a tad Leadership-esque.

Ryulin18
2012-03-04, 05:45 PM
Now the second part of my idea comes in the progress of my carry character.

If he gets levels in rogue to the point where he can use evasion. Do I get if I am papoosed to his chest? Like a tiny darth vader.

But can I jam him in full plate for the defense bonus I might get?

Namfuak
2012-03-04, 05:48 PM
You'll need to find a way to get ride as a class skill if you want to take a riding dog into combat, or you could just buy a warhorse or warpony, which do not require ride checks to handle in combat.

Besides Thrallherd and RP, I do not know any ways to get a cohort. Well, if you are starting at level 12 and above (or know some way to be able to cast lesser planar ally before level 7), you could take 5 levels in Thaumatergist to get a planar cohort. A planar cohort would could certainly be fluffed to be Luke Skywalker, but Thaumatergist seems like it does not fit your character's archetype (although it is definitely worth it if you plan on summoning anything and have nothing better to do for those 5 levels).

Ryulin18
2012-03-04, 05:59 PM
The Apprentice feat (PHBII)

Just spent ages looking for it. It's actually DMG II.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-03-04, 05:59 PM
Well, the easiest answer is be someone with an animal companion. Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) is a feat that gives you a not-quite animal companion.

Ryulin18
2012-03-04, 06:04 PM
You'll need to find a way to get ride as a class skill if you want to take a riding dog into combat, or you could just buy a warhorse or warpony, which do not require ride checks to handle in combat.

Riding dog, players handbook pg 131: "It is brave in combat like a war horse."

Does that mean I don't have to do the checks?