PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for my new campaign?

Silma
2012-03-04, 06:46 PM
IF YOU PLAY IN MY CAMPAIGN STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!

Hey Playgrounders!!!!! How are you all?

I'm starting a new 4e campaign next sunday and I'd really appreciate any ideas you might have on how to make things more interesting.

Here's what I have so far:

The Party:
Ardain (Dragonborn Warlord)
Hunfrid (Dwarf Fighter)
Dragneel (Human Sorcerer)
-not yet named- (Human Barbarian)
Vel 'thaenen (Drow Executioner)

As for the story:

Back during the rise of ancient Arkhosia, there was a female Dragon called Vex. Vex was one of the few remaining Pure Dragons (don't have a specific breath, they're usually brown and they can use powerful magic) And there was this prophecy that Vex was gonna give birth to a god. Vex's first son was born. He was a black dragon, and his name was Vindrax. Vindrax was raised on the premise that he was destined to be a god, but growing up, he didn't seem capable of fulfilling the prophecy. He was still very strong and talented though. Then came Vex's second son. He was a dragon gold in color, called Valdec. From a young age Valdec showed signs that he was the one that the prophecy was talking about. He had the power of creation, the ability to create permanent conjurations. Even living things, like dragonlings. And his breath instead of a weapon, was a blast of healing power. Vindrax got jealous, and sought to become a god himself. The two dragon-brothers fought, and the world itself was in peril should the war countinue. So Vex created an order of warriors, called Drak'shar. (the names "Vex", "Vindrax", "Valdec" and "Draksar" are taken from a game called Poxnora. One of my players, the one playing Ardain, asked me to include something from that game into the campaign) The Drak'shar were mostly humans and Dragonborn, and their purpose was to defeat both dragons in order to stop the war. Hence the name Drak'shar means "He who fights the dragons".
The Drak'shar defeated both dragons using a powerful sword that can kill anyone (or so they thought) at the cost of the wielder's life. However, the two dragons were way too powerful, so the Drak'shar cast them in stone instead.

But now the dragons are waking again. Later on in the campaign, Vindrax will actually manage to kill a forgotten deity and absorb his power. And the war will start all over again.

Other things:

~The current most powerful gods (normal phb gods and a few others) have made a pact not to interfere directly with the world
~Which means that the party will eventually seek the aid of long forgotten deities that have not made that pact.
~Ardain (Dragonbord Warlord) is actually looking for some dragonic dungeons that tell the story of Arkhosia in hopes of finding mode about the strange events that are to come. He was told to do so by a monastic order that studies the events of that time, and he is actually the one that introduces the party to the main quest.
~Hunfrid has a legendary Maul called "Mjolnir". It has the power of storms. The weapon once belonged to a dwarf called Thoradin who in turn took it from the storm titans that he defeated in order to save his tribe. The power is not in the weapon, but in the runes. But Hunfrid only has the first set of runes (aka, Lightning Maul +1). He is surching for the other 4 runes. (He doesn't know that there is a sixth rune. This one is actually in the possession of the leader of the storm Titans, because even Thoradin himself was too scared to wield the full version of his own weapon. ) Hunfrid is now searching for the runes supposedly hidden in dwarven dungeons.
~The party will need that weapon because it is one of the few weapons cacpable of killing a god (-> Vindrax)
~Dragneel is a Dragon Sorcerer (with acid element). He was raised by a black dragon that he knows as mother. She is called Grandine (Full name: Grandinalzahalashar). A few years back she left during the night and never came back. Dragneel is actually looking for her. (I was thinking that maybe she was in fact summoned by Vindrax to fight on his side in the upcoming dragon wars)
~There are 7 strange beings called "Watchers" The watchers are immortal and even gods cannot harm them. They do not have similar offensive powers though. Their purpose is to observe the history of the world and carve it in huge indestructible stone tablets. The party will meet one of them and he will be the one that tells them that strange things are about to happen.
~unfortunately I do not yet have any backstory from the 2 other players, the barbarian and the drow.

So...
thoughts/ ideas/ suggestions?

Vknight
2012-03-05, 02:27 AM
Ah what do these watchers look like? That can make a big difference. As if there all the same or each different it can effect there preview towards them.
I have watchers in my campaign. There ancient beings its unknown if and/or what they are.
Some people claim that the god Nara-O is one.
So do you want these watchers to be caretakers or guardian or purely watchers?
In other words.
Will they try and protect a certain balance. Or try to keep time intact. Or just record with occasional advice to those piercing there veil.

Don't make them have to kill the mother dragon. Obvious but putting it out there. Always leave a chance to go back.

Have fun with the Drow. Why, how, when, where? If your players are ok specie-ism. Keeping the family happy acquiring jobs and fulfilling duties.

As for the Barbarian give mundane things a more alien description when its only him and Dragneel. They may not be naive but they can still be naive.

Silma
2012-03-05, 09:44 AM
Ah what do these watchers look like? That can make a big difference. As if there all the same or each different it can effect there preview towards them.
I have watchers in my campaign. There ancient beings its unknown if and/or what they are.
Some people claim that the god Nara-O is one.
So do you want these watchers to be caretakers or guardian or purely watchers?
In other words.
Will they try and protect a certain balance. Or try to keep time intact. Or just record with occasional advice to those piercing there veil.

They are not bound to a certain form, but most choose one or two specific forms. The 2 watchers that the party will meet are:
~An elderly human woman. She is the scribe of the watchers and the first prophet in the world. She is very wise and prefers to keep a distance from all things. She lives in a small island in the middle of a raging, whirling sea. This sea is called The Maelstrom, and the island is called Mirage Island (its true name is lost) because it is never clear if it exists or not when you're looking at it from a distance.
~A pale man. His skin is grey-ish, and he seems to be suffering from a sort of a disease. He is the oldest and wisest of the watchers, but (according to the other watcher-the scribe) he cares too much for living beings, and his sadness and tiresome efforts are showing their impact on his appearance. He looks like he is carrying the weight of the entire world on his shoulders. But what drives him absolutely crazy is that he is bound (like all watchers) to observe and not interfere.

Don't make them have to kill the mother dragon. Obvious but putting it out there. Always leave a chance to go back.

Wasn't planning on it. In fact Vex is more of a guiding figure for the party.

Have fun with the Drow. Why, how, when, where? If your players are ok specie-ism. Keeping the family happy acquiring jobs and fulfilling duties.

:smallbiggrin:
Having seen the specific player play a drow rogue before, He'll probably be happy as long as he has the chance to steal, and make lots of money in general.

As for the Barbarian give mundane things a more alien description when its only him and Dragneel. They may not be naive but they can still be naive.

You mean like encouraging the barbarian to be a little more superstitious when it comes to magic? Yeah, I'd really love that, but the problem is that the specific player will most probably roleplay himself, so...
I wager he'll be a barbarian that hugs kids and saves kitties from trees. (Imagine Conan with a greataxe and a box of candy). He is the kind of player that likes being in the spotlight (not in a bad way, i have to admit), so I'll have to find a way to give him a more active role. I know he'd enjoy being the "leader" of the party, but the warlord sort of has dibs on that.

Swooper
2012-03-05, 11:45 AM
Just wanted to say that I love the background you've written. It's always awesome when the DM manages to involve PC backgrounds in the plot, and you've really made the characters central there. The only thing to watch out for is that if a character dies and is replaced, the others may lack motivation to follow that character's quest hook. Of course, I'm used to games with a rather limited access to resurrection magic, so YMMV.

Wasn't planning on it. In fact Vex is more of a guiding figure for the party.
I think he meant Grandine? Although I kind of disagree with that. Make Dragneel think she's actually trying to stop Vindrax or something, and then only learn she has joined him when the party finally tracks her down. Cue "I wish it wouldn't have come to this" speach and unexpected bossfight. :smallamused:

Beowulf DW
2012-03-05, 02:08 PM
I know that the whole "I am your [insert relative here]" thing can get a bit overused, but have you considered making Grandine a daughter of Vex? A half-sister to the god and god-wannabe? Perhaps the reason she left was to find a way to stop her half-brothers. Perhaps Vex raised her so that she could help eventually?

Just throwing it out there. I find that campaigns are better when each character has a deeply personal stake in it. Just having a mercenary/adventurer with nothing better to do doesn't really encourage good roleplaying. At least not in my experience.

Silma
2012-03-05, 06:10 PM
Just wanted to say that I love the background you've written. It's always awesome when the DM manages to involve PC backgrounds in the plot, and you've really made the characters central there. The only thing to watch out for is that if a character dies and is replaced, the others may lack motivation to follow that character's quest hook. Of course, I'm used to games with a rather limited access to resurrection magic, so YMMV.

I think he meant Grandine? Although I kind of disagree with that. Make Dragneel think she's actually trying to stop Vindrax or something, and then only learn she has joined him when the party finally tracks her down. Cue "I wish it wouldn't have come to this" speach and unexpected bossfight. :smallamused:

Yeah, now that you mention it, VKnight DOES seem to mean Grandine. Sorry guys, my bad. (I'm not gonna edit-what's written is written) My thoughts on Grandine, is that due to her black-dragon heritage, she is kind of compelled to join Vindrax. Maybe she shares a view with Vindrax (that dragons should have a higher place), although she disagrees with his methods. I think it will be Dragneel's choice in the end, in he's gonna fight her or not. I think I'll give him A LOT of liberty on that one.

I know that the whole "I am your [insert relative here]" thing can get a bit overused, but have you considered making Grandine a daughter of Vex? A half-sister to the god and god-wannabe? Perhaps the reason she left was to find a way to stop her half-brothers. Perhaps Vex raised her so that she could help eventually?

Just throwing it out there. I find that campaigns are better when each character has a deeply personal stake in it. Just having a mercenary/adventurer with nothing better to do doesn't really encourage good roleplaying. At least not in my experience.

I don't want to make things so personal. I will if I have to though. (like if i see that Dragneel would not be so interested in the quest-although I doubt that) Besides, I probably won't make her an ancient dragon. Adult or Elder probably.
The thing is, that Ardain has some clues for the main quest, before the campaign even starts, so I think he can manage to make everyone sort of follow if they seem disinterested. But the thing about such quests is that since they're affecting everyone, (the dragon wars could have a severe impact on the material plane and beyond) most would feel sort of "obligated" to follow on the quest.

By the way love the Kenshin avvie!!! :smallbiggrin:

On an unrelated note, you guys are awesome!! I didn't really expect anyone to reply, cuz most are bored to read a kinda long first post. Thanks a lot!!!! :smallbiggrin:

Swooper
2012-03-05, 07:23 PM
~Hunfrid has a legendary Maul called "Mjolnir". It has the power of storms. The weapon once belonged to a dwarf called Thoradin who in turn took it from the storm titans that he defeated in order to save his tribe. The power is not in the weapon, but in the runes. But Hunfrid only has the first set of runes (aka, Lightning Maul +1). He is surching for the other 4 runes. (He doesn't know that there is a sixth rune. This one is actually in the possession of the leader of the storm Titans, because even Thoradin himself was too scared to wield the full version of his own weapon. ) Hunfrid is now searching for the runes supposedly hidden in dwarven dungeons.
Have you decided what additional powers this maul will acquire as Hunfrid collects powerups runes, or are you going to let him pick? I'm not familiar enough with 4E magical items to know if they exist there, but the 3.5 weapon enhancements Throwing, Returning, Thundering and Bane (Giants) seem to fit. Maybe for the final power you could give it the power to summon and/or calm thunderstorms. Y'know, because of the name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mj%C3%B6lnir). :smalltongue:

Silma
2012-03-05, 07:35 PM
In 4e a lightning weapon doesn't deal extra lightning damage. I just has the ability to turn all melee dmg into lightning but that's it. And it has a daily power that says that when u hit with this weapon, it releases a discharge that hitss all enemies within 10 ft.
What mjolnir does, is:
~the standard lightning weapon traits
~(in 4e when you crit, magic weapons deal extra dmg) with mjolnir, you can deal this extra dmg to another enemy within 25 ft instead of dealing it to the target of the atk.
~also you can call the weapon back to your hand.
~also, if you want you can take some damage yourself, to make it deal extra dmg on hit.
~you gain a small resistance to lightning and thunder (4e term for 3.5 sonic)

Although now that you mention it, it might look cool if you could throw it around...