PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into writing....

Dallas-Dakota
2012-03-04, 07:18 PM
You might ask yourself, why doesn't he ask this on forums such as the Nanowrimo forum? Because Nano is not really my thing and I don't know any other writing forums. What I do know is that there are some fantastic writers among you with years of experience and amazing stories.

Years ago I used to write a decent amount, some my own creation, some fanfiction. I was cleaning up my bookmarks and found the link to one of my old stories, got nostalgic and read the reviews. All twelve of them, but all twelve were enthousiastic and demanding I write more, and that was enough for me decide to take up writing again.

Why did I stop you ask? Not really relevant, but I went to Scotland for 3 weeks and then college happend, I happen to be a Film(major being educated to become a cameraman) but for the first two years I did general mediadesign as required, which pretty much demanded all my creative juices. These days I'm barely doing any media design and while film does take up a lot of my creative juices, I do want to get back into writing.

But it's been so long that I sure err could use some help, what do you guys do after long breaks or how to get out of writers blocks?
Any tips? Advice? Donuts?

Zorg
2012-03-05, 12:21 AM
After a long break I try and write something short - just a couple of scenes or even a few paragraphs. Don't have to be connected to anything, just something to get back into the swing of it.

Another thing I do is read up on the mechanics of writing to brush up on technique, compostions, sentance structure, plot structure etc. Then go over older stuff I've written and edit. I also find that useful for writer's block too.

Getting out of writer's block can be tricky. Sometimes I'll skip a section if it's not flowing and write something that works, or I'll do a review of what I have done already, or I'll go and revise my plan or outline, or read something, or watch TV. Other times I'll just force myself to work on the section that's not working, so even if it's rubbish and will need re-doing it's done, so I can move on and not have it nagging at me.

Dragon Star
2012-03-05, 12:28 AM
You might ask yourself, why doesn't he ask this on forums such as the Nanowrimo forum? Because Nano is not really my thing and I don't know any other writing forums. What I do know is that there are some fantastic writers among you with years of experience and amazing stories.

Years ago I used to write a decent amount, some my own creation, some fanfiction. I was cleaning up my bookmarks and found the link to one of my old stories, got nostalgic and read the reviews. All twelve of them, but all twelve were enthousiastic and demanding I write more, and that was enough for me decide to take up writing again.

Why did I stop you ask? Not really relevant, but I went to Scotland for 3 weeks and then college happend, I happen to be a Film(major being educated to become a cameraman) but for the first two years I did general mediadesign as required, which pretty much demanded all my creative juices. These days I'm barely doing any media design and while film does take up a lot of my creative juices, I do want to get back into writing.

But it's been so long that I sure err could use some help, what do you guys do after long breaks or how to get out of writers blocks?
Any tips? Advice? Donuts?

This is probably specific to me, but some kind of competition might help. Not like NaNo, since you don't like that, but if you have any friends who write try starting a short story at the same time as them.

Or if that doesn't work, start with something basic. If you have an idea for a story, it can still be hard for you to get going on it. So try starting with a character, or a description of a location, or of a generic event like an explosion and let it build from there.

Also, once you get going, remember to just keep writing. If you stop for a second time it will be much MUCH harder to start again.

Oh, yeah, and there's this too:
http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/articleimage/Casey%20Chan/2009/05/android-20-donut.jpeg

leakingpen
2012-03-06, 10:02 AM
Just write. But.... to get the mechanics and the creative juices together, start with one at a time. When you study painting and drawing, you learn how to copy real things in front of you before you get to get all fancy and make **** up. You work as a cameraman? Try writing a scene you shot as if it were taking place in a novel. that way, you get into the mindset, but with less fuss and muss.

THEN, try writing something from scratch. And post it here (also, if you are on deviant art, writersitplayground is a writers group there. )

Omeganaut
2012-03-06, 12:22 PM
Well, take an idea and write an outline. Decide which parts you like and which you don't so you have a plan for the whole story. Then write the story. Give yourself some structure (it can be a flexible structure, and probably should be), and get to it. Nothing will help you more than just writing. Best of luck to you!

ThePhantasm
2012-03-06, 07:17 PM
One way to avoid writers block is to never stop writing at the end of a scene or chapter. If you must take a break or stop for the day, stop midway through something. This gives you a clear place to pick back up and a clear direction to go in for the next day, and starts the momentum of your creativity. So long as I abide by this rule I rarely have to deal with writer's block.

ThePhantasm
2012-03-06, 07:18 PM
One way to avoid writers block is to never stop writing at the end of a scene or chapter. If you must take a break or stop for the day, stop midway through something. This gives you a clear place to pick back up and a clear direction to go in for the next day, and starts the momentum of your creativity. So long as I abide by this rule I rarely have to deal with writer's block.

leakingpen
2012-03-07, 10:25 AM
http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/18848712919/reposted-as-something-that-can-be-reblogged-on