PDA

View Full Version : Way to hide spells

Mystify
2012-03-04, 11:35 PM
step 1: get tattoo ink
step 2: cast invisibility and permanency on the ink to get invisible ink.
step 3: cast see invisible, and tattoo your spells onto yourself.
step 4: take spell mastery, and select see invisible as one of your feats
step 5: add new spells as you see fit.

You can now prepare and cast see invisible without a spellbook, and then use it to prepare your hidden spells from your tattoos. This has the advantage over spell mastery alone as you can get new tattoos with higher level spells after you get the feat. People are unlikely to cast see invisible when searching you, since you are already visible, so the tattoos should have a good chance of being missed on a search. You now have an enhanced capabiltiy to deal with a missing spellbook.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-04, 11:40 PM
Eh, I like Eidetic Spellcaster better. More elegant.

TuggyNE
2012-03-04, 11:54 PM
An issue I see with this is that dispels, targeted or otherwise, are likely to mess up the invisible ink (by making it visible again). Any ideas on how to deal with that?

Mystify
2012-03-04, 11:58 PM
An issue I see with this is that dispels, targeted or otherwise, are likely to mess up the invisible ink (by making it visible again). Any ideas on how to deal with that?
recast invisibility on the ink, and permanency it. The permanently invisible bottle of ink is an attempt to minimize how often you cast it, as you can reuse the bottle for new tattoos.

erikun
2012-03-04, 11:59 PM
Eidetic Spellcaster, Illusion Mastery, and just being a Psion solve this problem a lot easier. You also don't run out of "pages" in your "spellbook" this way.

Psyren
2012-03-05, 12:01 AM
Eidetic is Dragon though, so not guaranteed in all games. This technique only requires core and Completes (specifically, Complete Arcane.)

Also, he's not claiming it as a replacement for a spellbook - just a way to have a handful of essential spells that can never be lost or stolen. (And are likely to be missed if a spellbook is confiscated.)

Mystify
2012-03-05, 12:28 AM
Eidetic is Dragon though, so not guaranteed in all games. This technique only requires core and Completes (specifically, Complete Arcane.)

Also, he's not claiming it as a replacement for a spellbook - just a way to have a handful of essential spells that can never be lost or stolen. (And are likely to be missed if a spellbook is confiscated.)
Thank you. You understand what I'm going after. Personaly, I would not allow Eidetic spellcaster in my campaign. It doesn't really fit with the fluff at all. Its another poorly conceived feat from a dragon magazine. Its also clearly out of line of similar feats, namely spell mastery. Spell mastery gives you a few spells without a book, and Eidetic spellcaster gives you them all.
My proposal in interesting and keeps all the fluff, and is a clever application of what you have available, not some random feat that is waiving restrictions of the class. Its a countermeasure to having your spellbook confiscated, which may or may not work in practice, but has a good shot at working.

TuggyNE
2012-03-05, 02:33 AM
Thank you. You understand what I'm going after. Personaly, I would not allow Eidetic spellcaster in my campaign. It doesn't really fit with the fluff at all. Its another poorly conceived feat from a dragon magazine. Its also clearly out of line of similar feats, namely spell mastery. Spell mastery gives you a few spells without a book, and Eidetic spellcaster gives you them all.
My proposal in interesting and keeps all the fluff, and is a clever application of what you have available, not some random feat that is waiving restrictions of the class. Its a countermeasure to having your spellbook confiscated, which may or may not work in practice, but has a good shot at working.

Fair enough, and a reasonable idea by all means. Something I'll probably keep in mind for future wizards, in fact.

Hirax
2012-03-05, 02:37 AM
Nitpick, but eidetic isn't a feat. You give up scribe scroll, your familiar, and the ability to use blessed books by taking it. Not being able to use blessed books to cheaply learn spells is why from a practical perspective I would never use the eidetic variant.

Psyren
2012-03-05, 03:00 AM
Honestly, if you're allowing Wizards to bypass their scribing and storage considerations with Eidetic, you may as well just allow StP Erudites in my opinion.

Having said that, one situation I could see Eidetic working quite well is if you're not scribing at all - say, Aerenei Elven Generalist to get 4 free spells every level. They go straight to your head, no scribing costs etc, and like all wizards you get all cantrips for free too. Note that the Eidetic incense costs only apply to scribing, not preparing your spells, so combined with Eschew Materials this is actually a fairly good way to pull off the otherwise highly impractical VoP Wizard.

You're literally a poor man's Erudite, but it could be an interesting way of sneaking an Erudite into a no-psionics game.

Hirax
2012-03-05, 03:04 AM
Google wasn't helpful, what's Aerenei? That sounds like it might be kinda cool if played tamely.

TuggyNE
2012-03-05, 03:45 AM
Google wasn't helpful, what's Aerenei? That sounds like it might be kinda cool if played tamely.

I believe that's Aerenal Arcanist?

JeminiZero
2012-03-05, 06:06 AM

recast invisibility on the ink, and permanency it. The permanently invisible bottle of ink is an attempt to minimize how often you cast it, as you can reuse the bottle for new tattoos.

Nitpick: I'm not sure if it is possible to recast invisibility once it has been tattooed onto you. The way tattooing normally works is that it embeds the ink inside your skin, so your skin now provides total cover to the tattoo ink. However your skin is also semi-transparent, so that it does not block line of sight, so you can still see the tattoo.

The other thing that might foil this is Detect Magic. It is a commonly used cantrip by PCs when stripping dead enemies of their gear, and it is not unreasonable to expect an enemy to use it when stripping the PCs. Once they find the naked wizard is still pinging illusion, expect the dispels to start rolling.

Curmudgeon
2012-03-05, 08:26 AM
There are a couple of significant downsides here.

You've got a limited expanse of skin that you can both write and read on without carrying around big hinged contraptions to hold tattoo needles and mirror arrays. You'll trade the problem of a missing spellbook for the problem of a missing set of properly angled mirrors.
Captured spellbooks are valuable. If your skin is the spellbook, killing you and preserving the spell writing is a profitable venture. Yikes!
You sure this is a good idea?

Psyren
2012-03-05, 09:06 AM
Nitpick: I'm not sure if it is possible to recast invisibility once it has been tattooed onto you. The way tattooing normally works is that it embeds the ink inside your skin, so your skin now provides total cover to the tattoo ink. However your skin is also semi-transparent, so that it does not block line of sight, so you can still see the tattoo.

There's a potentially bigger problem here; Permanent Invisibility works because the ink is an object. Once it's been turned into tattoos and made part of the character, does it still count as a separate object that can be enchanted in this way?

The other thing that might foil this is Detect Magic. It is a commonly used cantrip by PCs when stripping dead enemies of their gear, and it is not unreasonable to expect an enemy to use it when stripping the PCs. Once they find the naked wizard is still pinging illusion, expect the dispels to start rolling.

(Nystul's) Magic Aura on the ink might help with this (coupled with rescribing every fortnight or so?) though if he's hit with a dispel to begin with that could be the first thing to go.

You've got a limited expanse of skin that you can both write and read on without carrying around big hinged contraptions to hold tattoo needles and mirror arrays. You'll trade the problem of a missing spellbook for the problem of a missing set of properly angled mirrors.
Captured spellbooks are valuable. If your skin is the spellbook, killing you and preserving the spell writing is a profitable venture. Yikes!

For the first point, you don't actually need mirrors - your familiar can help you prepare spells by reading any hard-to-see tattoos for you, or you can use a scrying spell as well (prepared on an easy-to-see place like your arm). (CArc pg. 187)

For the second point - I agree it's more dangerous, but you're also less vulnerable than a wizard without his books would normally be. So there's a tradeoff there that may be worthwhile.

Kaeso
2012-03-05, 09:36 AM
Clever, but why waste a perfectly good feat on spell mastery just so you can get see invisiblity? Your scheme already assumes the knowledge of permanency, so why not permanently cast see invisibility (or even true seeing) on yourself?

Curmudgeon
2012-03-05, 11:16 AM
For the first point, you don't actually need mirrors - your familiar can help you prepare spells by reading any hard-to-see tattoos for you I don't see how that's in any way even close to possible. Let's enumerate the RAW issues.
To record an arcane spell in written form, a character uses complex notation that describes the magical forces involved in the spell. The writer uses the same system no matter what her native language or culture. However, each character uses the system in her own way. Another person’s magical writing remains incomprehensible to even the most powerful wizard until she takes time to study and decipher it. Leaving aside the problem that your familiar can't do anything with your written spells unless the familiar is an arcane spellcaster (which it can't be), (1) it still can't make use of what you've written unless it succeeds on the required Spellcraft checks (or the Use Magic Device Equivalent) to decipher the arcane writings.
Empathic Link (Su): The master has an empathic link with his familiar out to a distance of up to 1 mile. The master cannot see through the familiar’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically. Because of the limited nature of the link, only general emotional content can be communicated.

Speak with Master (Ex): If the master is 5th level or higher, a familiar and the master can communicate verbally as if they were using a common language. Other creatures do not understand the communication without magical help.
Your familiar may be able to speak as if it were using a language, but since that can't be deciphered without magical help, it's not an actual language. So that brings up more problems: (2) your DM would have to rule that the "as if" communication is using an actual language; and (3) that language is the one used in your spellbook writings. But then you still come up way short of the mark. (4) The familiar can barely speak one language; it doesn't know how to read it. And that's just the the words. (5) Unless the symbology of your spells are purely emotional content, your familiar is useless for communicating non-language symbology. What would the emotional content of the complex notation expressing the necessary motions of a spell's semantic gestures be, anyway? :smallconfused:

Psyren
2012-03-05, 11:30 AM
Come on Curmudg - I even gave you the page reference:

For creatures with humanoid forms, different areas of the body can hold varying page-equivalents of spellbook information, depending on their size.
A wizard cannot read spells in {difficult-to-see} locations without the use of a mirror, scrying magic, or a familiar’s assistance.

Whatever the general rules are about familiar abilities, the specific rules on tattooed spellbooks are that familiars enable you to read your spells. Specific trumps general, and the primary source for tattooed spellbooks is Complete Arcane, so this ruling wins out on both counts.

The logistics of this are left up to the reader's imagination. You yourself pointed out one way though - the familiar can talk to you and it has your ranks in Spellcraft, so it can decipher your notation and provide it to you. But the specific means are again irrelevant.

Mystify
2012-03-05, 12:02 PM
Clever, but why waste a perfectly good feat on spell mastery just so you can get see invisiblity? Your scheme already assumes the knowledge of permanency, so why not permanently cast see invisibility (or even true seeing) on yourself?
and permament see invisiblity can also be dispelled. Now you have points of failure if they dispell you. Its not like its the only benefit you have from the feat, you will have several other spells to fall back on even if your tattoos fall through. But your tattoos would be more beneficial than the spell mastery alone.

scratch yourself, exposing the ink to air and hence line of effect.
Alternatively, argue that if it is part of you, you automatically have line of effect, since the magical effect is originating from you.

Why do it that way? Every party I have played with takes everything, then does detect magic at the end of the day or when otherwise convenient to check everything at once.
And, as mentioned, you can cast magic aura to disguise the effect.

You aren't trying to replace your spellbook, only supplement key spells. You can see quite a bit of skin without mirrors, use that.

Your skin, as you have mentioned, contains FAR fewer spells than a spellbook. All of a wizards spellbooks may fetch a nice price and be beneficial to the wizard. Your tattoos are not going to be worth collecting unless they were going to kill you anyways.
Alternatively, you could take a level in geometer, which I believe changes your magical writing into geometric patterns, which could look like an abstract tattoo design rather than magical writing. If they question why you had it invisible, claim buyer's remorse.

Curmudgeon
2012-03-05, 01:01 PM
Whatever the general rules are about familiar abilities, the specific rules on tattooed spellbooks are that familiars enable you to read your spells. Specific trumps general
If there were any actual specifics that matched your statement, I'd agree with you. However, that section of Complete Arcane didn't provide any changes to the rules regarding capabilities of familiars; all of what it did say is contained in these two sentences:
Some spell tattoos can be placed so that the caster can read them simply by looking down, while others need the aid of mirrors or even a familiar to study their tattoos.
A wizard cannot read spells in these locations without the use of a mirror, scrying magic, or a familiar’s assistance. It's a big leap from a general indication that a spellcaster can benefit from "the aid of ... a familiar to study their tattoos" and your statement that "your familiar can help you prepare spells by reading any hard-to-see tattoos for you", and that's what I took issue with. The familiar can't read spells. The familiar can hold or adjust a mirror where the spellcaster can't reach.

Psyren
2012-03-05, 01:12 PM
Except the passage clearly states "a mirror... OR a familiar's assistance."

"You can accomplish {task} via methods X, Y, or Z" means that method X is enough on its own, as is method Y, and as is method Z. If the familiar's assistance required the mirror, it would have said "and a familiar's assistance."

Again, the specifics of their assistance are up to you to narrate - the fact that it's all you need, however, is RAW. Similarly, a wizard "can prepare read magic without a spellbook" but the exact means of this preparation need not be specified in the text for it to be RAW.

Elric VIII
2012-03-05, 01:29 PM

Well, if skin blocks line of effect for the purposes of recasting inivisbility, it would also block Dispel Magic, rendering that problem moot.

Although I do prefer Eidetic Spellcaster as a thief-proof spellbook (ignoring Mindflayer Wizards :smallbiggrin:). Plus, it lets you add a little extra flavor to your caster if you want to play an ascetic rather than a bookworm.

FMArthur
2012-03-05, 03:22 PM
Yeah I'm really failing to see why Eidetic Spellcaster is overpowered at all. You have decreased your overall power and gained absolutely nothing for a normal adventuring day. Scribe Scroll is actually a useful standby in a wizard's arsenal that allows him to build up spontaneously applicable resources in spells he doesn't have to prepare to use. You lose that. You also can't benefit from Boccob's Blessed Book, which is a difference of up to 87,500 gp. A normal wizard with that book spends a trivial amount of gold buying spell access; an Eidetic Spellcaster has to carefully consider what he can afford.

You also can't benefit from a familiar, who greatly enhances your awareness, can deliver touch spells, can use magic items for you to double your action economy, and be traded out for some of the Wizard's most useful class features. Ones that actually add to your capabilities.

Eidetic Spellcaster is a sacrifice made to paranoia and not much more. :smallconfused:

Psyren
2012-03-05, 03:25 PM
Presumably if you went Eidetic, you'd simply Obtain Familiar later if you really wanted one.

But the main point is that Eidetic is Dragon Magazine and therefore cannot be guaranteed. At most tables (for good or ill) Dragon is only a notch above homebrew in terms of legality.

Mystify
2012-03-05, 03:30 PM
Yeah I'm really failing to see why Eidetic Spellcaster is overpowered at all. You have decreased your overall power and gained absolutely nothing for a normal adventuring day. Scribe Scroll is actually a useful standby in a wizard's arsenal that allows him to build up spontaneously applicable resources in spells he doesn't have to prepare to use. You lose that. You also can't benefit from Boccob's Blessed Book, which is a difference of up to 87,500 gp. A normal wizard with that book spends a trivial amount of gold buying spell access; an Eidetic Spellcaster has to carefully consider what he can afford.

You also can't benefit from a familiar, who greatly enhances your awareness, can deliver touch spells, can use magic items for you to double your action economy, and be traded out for some of the Wizard's most useful class features. Ones that actually add to your capabilities.

Eidetic Spellcaster is a sacrifice made to paranoia and not much more. :smallconfused: I was under the impression it was just a feat. Considering all of the sacrifices involved, I would say this technique saves you from all of that sacrifice.

Curmudgeon
2012-03-05, 05:17 PM
Except the passage clearly states "a mirror... OR a familiar's assistance."
OK, then, you can get assistance from a familiar to hold a branch out of the way so you can use a bit of still water as a reflective surface, instead of a mirror. The significant bit is that the rules do not have a mechanism for a familiar to read spells, only to help you read your own spells. Anything that would give a familiar the ability to read spells in even a limited fashion is enormously overpowering for classes that are already too strong. We do not need shenanigans where a familiar skulks about reading spells from other Wizards' spellbooks.

Psyren
2012-03-05, 05:30 PM
OK, then, you can get assistance from a familiar to hold a branch out of the way so you can use a bit of still water as a reflective surface, instead of a mirror.

No additional apparatus are mentioned or required.; you're inventing restrictions that aren't in the rules.

Otherwise, you can apply addtional restrictions to anything. "A Wizard can prepare read magic without a spellbook, so long as he has a strip of silk cloth that has captured the impressions of his quill pen and recorded the read magic spell that he can use to study from" or something equally silly.

The significant bit is that the rules do not have a mechanism for a familiar to read spells, only to help you read your own spells.

I never claimed that they did (though familiars can actually read written spells, since they have your own ranks in Spellcraft.) But yes, they are helping you to read your own spells; how they help you is an exercise of imagination for the reader, just as the mechanics of how you can prepare read magic without a spellbook is left up to the player.

Anything that would give a familiar the ability to read spells in even a limited fashion is enormously overpowering for classes that are already too strong.

Whether it's too powerful or not, we're talking RAW here, not "is-this-too-powerful?" That's a debate for another thread/gaming table.

Given how generally subpar tattooed spellbooks are, I don't see it as being too powerful. It's even an incentive to keep a familiar handy (or spending a feat to regain it) when there are many useful ACFs that require giving it up.

nedz
2012-03-05, 06:00 PM
OK, then, you can get assistance from a familiar to hold a branch out of the way so you can use a bit of still water as a reflective surface, instead of a mirror. The significant bit is that the rules do not have a mechanism for a familiar to read spells, only to help you read your own spells. Anything that would give a familiar the ability to read spells in even a limited fashion is enormously overpowering for classes that are already too strong. We do not need shenanigans where a familiar skulks about reading spells from other Wizards' spellbooks.

A 13th level Wizard can scry their familier 1/day. This would seem to give you 1 minute/level to learn a proportion of your spells which were scribed in hard to see parts of your body, or other wizards spell-books.

Curmudgeon
2012-03-05, 06:07 PM
No additional apparatus are mentioned or required.; you're inventing restrictions that aren't in the rules.
Firstly, natural terrain elements (branches, standing water) are not apparatus. Secondly, I merely presented an example of one way a familiar could help ("you can", not "you must"); that's not a restriction. However, your statement that "your familiar can help you prepare spells by reading any hard-to-see tattoos for you" is a capability that's not in the rules. Assisting the Wizard in reading their own spells, and doing it for the Wizard, are significantly different in function. The first one is stated (but without specifics) in the rules; the second one is your extension without RAW support.

Mystify
2012-03-05, 06:21 PM
Firstly, natural terrain elements (branches, standing water) are not apparatus. Secondly, I merely presented an example of one way a familiar could help ("you can", not "you must"); that's not a restriction. However, your statement that "your familiar can help you prepare spells by reading any hard-to-see tattoos for you" is a capability that's not in the rules. Assisting the Wizard in reading their own spells, and doing it for the Wizard, are significantly different in function. The first one is stated (but without specifics) in the rules; the second one is your extension without RAW support.
The rules never say you need anything external for your familiar to help you. You could be in a prison with nothing else, and the rules say your familiar can help you. You are adding restrictions that are not in the rules.

Curmudgeon
2012-03-05, 07:05 PM
The rules never say you need anything external for your familiar to help you. You could be in a prison with nothing else, and the rules say your familiar can help you. You are adding restrictions that are not in the rules. No, actually you just provided an example of making up something not in the rules; specifically, you're substituting the inverse of a rule specification.

A wizard cannot read spells in these locations without the use of a mirror, scrying magic, or a familiar’s assistance. A rule that says a Wizard cannot read spells in those locations without some sort of assistance is not the same as a rule saying you can always read spells in those locations with nothing else but one of those forms of assistance. If it's pitch black in that prison (since you said there was nothing else there) and neither you (the Wizard) nor your familiar have darkvision, the fact that you cannot read spells in these locations without assistance does not mean that merely the assistance of your familiar can always be enough.

Psyren
2012-03-05, 07:28 PM
Firstly, natural terrain elements (branches, standing water) are not apparatus.

Aren't they? Those things are a luxury in a desert, or in a dungeon. But your familiar can assist you with studying your tattooed spells in these places regardless.

Secondly, I merely presented an example of one way a familiar could help ("you can", not "you must"); that's not a restriction.

You CAN prep read magic without a spellbook, not you MUST. It's the same thing - the rules give you the ability, and the details are up to you. Maybe your wizard just wills himself to prepare the spell, or maybe he visualizes the arcane sigils that mean "read magic."

However, your statement that "your familiar can help you prepare spells by reading any hard-to-see tattoos for you" is a capability that's not in the rules.

Nah, it's just fluff. As I said before, the specifics of how he enables me to prepare spells from tattoos I can't see aren't relevant. By RAW, my familiar is all I need - nothing else matters.

Mystify
2012-03-05, 08:14 PM
No, actually you just provided an example of making up something not in the rules; specifically, you're substituting the inverse of a rule specification.
A rule that says a Wizard cannot read spells in those locations without some sort of assistance is not the same as a rule saying you can always read spells in those locations with nothing else but one of those forms of assistance. If it's pitch black in that prison (since you said there was nothing else there) and neither you (the Wizard) nor your familiar have darkvision, the fact that you cannot read spells in these locations without assistance does not mean that merely the assistance of your familiar can always be enough.
If its pitch black and you can't see, you fail in meeting the basic pre-reqs for being able to prepare spells.
"To prepare any spell, a wizard must have enough peace, quiet, and comfort to allow for proper concentration. The wizard’s surroundings need not be luxurious, but they must be free from overt distractions. Exposure to inclement weather prevents the necessary concentration, as does any injury or failed saving throw the character might experience while studying. Wizards also must have access to their spellbooks to study from and sufficient light to read them by. There is one major exception: A wizard can prepare a read magic spell even without a spellbook."
The limitation against doing that is in the rules. It specifies exactly what is needed to prepare your spells.
The tattoo rules specify further requirements on what you need to to prepare those spells that are tattooed in inconvenient locations. Your familiar is listed as being sufficient aid.

Curmudgeon
2012-03-05, 08:25 PM
As I said before, the specifics of how he enables me to prepare spells from tattoos I can't see aren't relevant. By RAW, my familiar is all I need - nothing else matters.

The tattoo rules specify further requirements on what you need to to prepare those spells that are tattooed in inconvenient locations. Your familiar is listed as being sufficient aid.
Again, this is not what the rules say. They say without assistance you cannot prepare spells from tattoos. There is no statement that any particular form of assistance is enough that you always can prepare spells from tattoos.

Here's another example of substituting the inverse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_%28logic%29) of a requirement:
"You can't climb that mountain without an ice axe." - positive statement
"You can climb that mountain with only an ice axe." - inverse statement, which may or may not be true.

Psyren
2012-03-05, 08:38 PM
Again, this is not what the rules say. They say without assistance you cannot prepare spells from tattoos. There is no statement that any particular form of assistance is enough that you always can prepare spells from tattoos.

Of course there is - a tattooed spellbook is still a spellbook, It thus follows the general rules for spellbooks except where specified, and one of those general rules is that you can study it to prepare spells.

She must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying her spellbook.

Tattooing offers a means of creating a spellbook that’s virtually impossible to lose.

Some spell tattoos can be placed so that the caster can read them simply by looking down, while others need the aid of mirrors or even a familiar to study their tattoos.

It's as plain as words on a page.

Mystify
2012-03-05, 08:48 PM

Here's another example of substituting the inverse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_%28logic%29) of a requirement:
"You can't climb that mountain without an ice axe." - positive statement
"You can climb that mountain with only an ice axe." - inverse statement, which may or may not be true.

The rule says "* A wizard cannot read spells in these locations without the
use of a mirror, scrying magic, or a familiar’s assistance."
While technically you are right, that does not say that a mirror, scrying magic, or a familiar's assistance is sufficient, it definitely is what is meant.
They clearly list the requirements for preparing a spell. That is a known, quantified thing. They then add on the restriction "You can't prepare these spells without x, y, or z" This is an added restriction. Hence, if you have x, y, or z, you meet that restriction's requirements. This isn't a logical statement, its an English statement. Interpreting English statements as logical statements leads to madness, as many of them simply don't work.
How do you think a familiar is going to aid you without using a mirror or scrying magic?

Looking at these rules closer, I noticed a cool combination. I mentioned earlier taking a level in geometer to turn your script into geometric symbols which look cooler as tattoos. This also makes each spell take a single page. This is a great boon for tatoos, as you have 47 easily viewed pages worth of skin, 33 pages of hard to access spells. Since I am aiming for spell mastery to get see invis, taking it at that point only gets you a few 1st and 2nd level spells, maybe 3rd if you put if off a but first, but you are more interested in the 4+ level spells you add later. this means at most 20 spells, even if they are all 4th level. If they are 6th level on average, thats only 13. The geometer level brings that up to 80.