PDA

View Full Version : Raikou Sensei [3.5, Base Class, PEACH]

BelGareth
2012-03-05, 01:24 AM
Raikou Sensei

"One more time oshiego, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

Class skills (4 + Int Modifier per level): The class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Local)(Int), knowledge (Arcana)(Int), knowledge (history)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str) and Tumble (Dex).

4 * (4 + Int Modifier) for first level

Alignment: Any Lawful

Starting Age: As Monk

Starting Wealth: As Monk

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known

1st| +0 | +0 | +2 | +0 | Fast Movement, Lightning Strike |3|1|1

2nd| +1 | +0 | +3 | +0 | AC Bonus, Quick Draw |4|1|1

3rd| +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 | Iaijutsu Strike |4|1|1

4th| +3 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Uncanny Dodge |5|1|1

5th| +3 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Ki Strike(Magic) |5|2|1

6th| +4 | +2 | +5 | +2 | Superior Reflexes |6|2|2

7th| +5 | +2 | +5 | +2 | Strike without Thought |6|2|2

8th| +6/+1 | +2 | +6 | +2 | Improved uncanny dodge |7|2|2

9th| +6/+1 | +3 | +6 | +3 | Sinpai |7|2|2

10th| +7/+2 | +3 | +7 | +3 | Ki Strike (Lawful) |8|3|2

11th| +8/+3 | +3 | +7 | +3 | Improved Critical |8|3|2

12th| +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +4 | Strike from the Void |9|3|2

13th| +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +4 | Tongue of the sun and moon |9|3|2

14th| +10/+5 | +4 | +9 | +4 | Slash the Soul |10|3|3

15th| +11/+6/+1 | +5 | +9 | +5 | Sensei |10|4|3

16th| +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +5 | Ki strike (adamantine) |11|4|3

17th| +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +5 | Timeless Body |11|5|3

18th| +13/+8/+3 | +6 | +11 | +6 | Diamond Soul |12|4|3

19th| +14/+9/+4 | +6 | +11 | +6 | Sever the Soul |12|4|3

20th| +15/+10/+5 | +6 | +12 | +6 | Dai-sensei |13|5|3
[/table]

Proficiencies: A Raikou Sensei is proficient with all simple weapons, plus the Katana, Bastard sword, Ninja-to and short sword. A Raikou Sensei is proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Maneuvers: You begin your career with knowledge of 3 martial maneuvers. The disciplines available to you are Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Setting Sun and Shadow Hand.

Once you know a maneuver, you must ready it before you can use it (see Maneuvers Readied, below). A maneuver usable by a Raikou Sensei is considered an extraordinary ability unless otherwise noted in its description. Your maneuvers are not affected by spell resistance, and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when you initiate one. You learn additional maneuvers at higher levels, as shown on the table. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisite to learn it.

Upon reaching 5th level, and at every odd-numbered Raikou Sensei level after that (7th, 9th, 11th, and so on), you can choose to learn a new maneuver in place of one you already know. In effect, you lose the old maneuver in exchange for the new one. You can choose a new maneuver of any level you like, as long as you observe your restriction on the highest-level maneuvers you know; you need not replace the old maneuver with a maneuver of the same level. For example, upon reaching 11th level, you could trade in a single 1st-, 2nd-, 3rd-, 4th- or 5th-level maneuver for a maneuver of 6th level or lower, as long as you meet the prerequisite of the new maneuver. You can swap only a single maneuver at any given level.

Maneuvers Readied: You can ready 1 of your 3 maneuvers known at 1st level, and as you advance in level and learn more maneuvers, you are able to ready more, but you must still choose which maneuvers to ready. You ready your maneuvers by meditating and exercising for 5 minutes. The maneuvers you choose remain readied until you decide to meditate again and change them. You need not sleep or rest for any long period of time to ready your maneuvers; any time you spend 5 minutes in meditation, you can change your readied maneuvers.

You begin an encounter with all your readied maneuvers unexpended, regardless of how many times you might have already used them since you chose them. When you initiate a maneuver, you expend it for the current encounter, so each of your readied maneuvers can be used once per encounter (unless you recover them, as described below). You can recover an expended maneuver by using a full-round action to quickly meditate. Doing this does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If you complete your meditation, you can choose one expended maneuver to refresh. It is now available for use in a subsequent round.

Stances Known: You begin play with knowledge of one 1stlevel stance from any discipline open to a Raikou Sensei. At 6th, and 14th level, you can choose additional stances. Unlike maneuvers, stances are not expended, and you do not have to ready them. All the stances you know are available to you at all times, and you can change the stance you are currently using as a swift action. A stance is an extraordinary ability unless otherwise stated in the stance description. Unlike with maneuvers, you cannot learn a new stance at higher levels in place of one you already know.

Fast Movement (Ex): A Raikou Sensei lands speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the Raikou Sensei’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Lightning Strike: At 1st level, a Raikou Sensei may use his Dexterity modifier instead of his Strength modifier on attack and damage rolls with his katana . This works like the Weapon Finesse feat, except that it applies to the katana & Bastard Sword, a weapon to which the feat cannot normally be applied.

AC Bonus: Starting at 2nd level, you can add your Wisdom modifier as a bonus to Armor Class, so long as you wear light armor, are unencumbered, and do not use a shield. This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when you are flat-footed. However, you lose this bonus when you are immobilized or helpless.

Quick Draw: At 2nd Level a Raikou Sensei gains Quick Draw as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. If he already possesses this feat, he instead gains a Fighter bonus feat for which he meets the prerequisites.

Iaijutsu Strike (Ex): At 3rd Level a Raikou Sensei learns the principle art of his discipline, The Iaijutsu strike. Whenever the Raikou Sensei can catch an opponent off guard he strikes with such speed that his attacks deal extra damage. When the Raikou Sensei attacks an opponent who is flat footed, denied it's dexterity or is flanking he can add an amount of damage to his melee attacks equal to his initiative modifier as a circumstance bonus. In Addition he can sheathe his weapon as a free action.

Uncanny dodge (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a Raikou Sensei can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

If a Raikou Sensei already has uncanny dodge from a different class he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Ki Strike (Su): At 5th level, a Raikou Sensei attacks are empowered with ki. His attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. Ki strike improves with the character’s Raikou Sensei level. At 10th level, his attacks are also treated as lawful weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. At 16th level, his attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction and bypassing hardness.

Superior Reflexes (Ex) At 6th level, Raikou Sensei can make a number of attacks of opportunity in a round equal to his Wisdom modifier. This effect stacks with the Combat Reflexes feat.

Strike without Thought (Ex): At 7th level, Raikou Sensei provokes attacks of opportunity even while his weapon is still sheathed, a Raikou Sensei threatens with his weapon as normal when not holding it. You must be able to draw your weapon and hands enough to wield it.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A Raikou Sensei of 8th level or higher can no longer be flanked.

This defense denies another character with the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more levels than the target does.

If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level required to flank the character.

Sinpai (Ex): At 9th level, when a Raikou Sensei successfully hits an opponent with his Strike without Thought ability he treats the attack as an Iaijutsu Strike, dealing the additional damage as normal for an Iaijutsu Strike.

Improved Critical: At 11th Level a Raikou Sensei gains Improved Critical as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. If he already possesses this feat, he instead gains a Fighter bonus feat for which he meets the prerequisites.

Strike from the Void (Ex): At 12th level, a Raikou Sensei can add his Wisdom Modifier to his Initiative.

Tongue of the Sun and Moon (Ex): A Raikou Sensei of 13th level or higher can speak with any living creature.

Slash the Soul (Ex): At 14th level, a Raikou Sensei gains the ability to strike with such fervor and speed that he can ignore an amount of damage reduction equal to his Wisdom Modifier. This works on all damage reduction except Epic.

Sensei (Ex): At 15th level, a Raikou Sensei can make two attacks with his weapon as a standard action and gains an additional attack when making a full attack action.

Timeless Body (Ex): Upon attaining 17th level, a Raikou Sensei no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the Raikou Sensei still dies of old age when his time is up.

Diamond Soul (Ex):At 18th level, a Raikou Sensei gains spell resistance equal to his level + 10. In order to affect the Raikou Sensei with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the Raikou Sensei's spell resistance. The Raikou Sensei can lower or raise his spell resistance as a free action.

Sever the Soul (Su): The Raikou Sensei strikes with such perfection that he can kill with a single strike. Any weapon that the Raikou Sensei wields gains the Vorpal special property, it still requires a natural 20 to activate. This ability can be dispelled and disjoined, and does not work in an antimagic zone. The DC for this ability is 10 + 9 + Wis Modifier and can be activated/dismissed as a free action.

Dai-sensei (Ex) The Raikou Sensei has reached the pinnacle of his career, he is now a Grand Master. He can now make 3 attacks as part of a standard action and gains and additional 2 attacks when making a full attack action. A Raikou Sensei automatically rolls a 20 for initiative.

EPIC Progression

{table=head]Level|Special
21|
22|Adamantine Mind
23|
24|Bonus Feat
25|
26|Power of the Sun and Moon
27|
28|Bonus Feat
29|
30|Mattaki Dai-Sensei
[/table]

Adamantine Mind (Su): Through sheer force of will power the Raikou Dai-Sensei shrugs off even the most powerful affects against his mind, he gains a permanent Mindblank affect as the spell. This ability can be dispelled and disjoined, and does not work in an antimagic zone. The DC for this ability is 10 + 9 + Wis Modifier and can be activated/dismissed as a free action.

Power of the Sun and Moon (Su): The Raikou Dai-Sensei gains the power of the Sun and Moon, he gains a permanent Foresight affect as the spell. This ability can be dispelled and disjoined, and does not work in an antimagic zone. The DC for this ability is 10 + 9 + Wis Modifier and can be activated/dismissed as a free action.

Mattaki Dai-Sensei (Ex): The Raikou Dai-Sensei has reached near godhood as he perfects his mind and body, his opponents no longer need to be flat footed, denied their dexterity or flanked for him to deal his Iaijutsu strike damage. His Slash the Soul ability penetrates Epic Damage Reduction, he gains an Insight bonus to attacks equal to his wisdom modifier and no longer automatically fails a save on a 1.

Bonus Feats: The epic Raikou Dai-Sensei gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic bonus feats) at 24th and every additional 4 levels.

Epic Bonus Feat List: Adamantine General, Armor Skin, Combat Insight, Damage Reduction, Devastating Critical, Dire Charge, Duel Stance Mastery, Empower Maneuver, Epic Blade Mediation, Epic Endurance, Epic Leadership, Epic Prowess, Epic Toughness, Improved Combat Reflexes, Improved Whirlwind Attack, Ivory Raven Warmaster, Legendary Commander, Martial Knowledge, Maximize Maneuver, Overwhelming Critical, Penetrate Damage Reduction, Perfect Two Weapon Fighting, Signature Move, Strike of the Duel Adept, Strike of the Triadic Master, Superior Initiative, Unbreakable Stone Maw, Utter Diamond Clarity, Vicious Tiger King

Notes

Comments/concerns/questions?

BelGareth
2012-03-05, 01:27 AM
Additional Information

Ways to increase your Initiative (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6000.0)

Alternate Class Features

Sneak attack ACF - Pending
Two Weapon Fighting - Pending
Ranged - ?
Unarmed strike - pending

GuyFawkes
2012-03-05, 01:21 PM
Nice. Speed melee types are definitely something I would play.

Okay some comments on the skills.

Fast Movement: It would be nice if this scaled up with level. I dunno, I'm just a sucker for scaling up.

Strike without Thought: After a creature provokes AoO through this ability, what is the status of the weapon? Drawn? Sheathed? Or at your option since you can draw/sheath as a free action anyway?

Also, I am curious as to how this would play together with abilities such as TWD or that AC bonus from Iaijutsu Master. Since this allows you to threaten enemies while your weapons are sheathed, it won't be a pretty far off idea to retain your AC bonus from the aforementioned feat/ability while you still have your weapons sheathed right?

Sensei/Dai Sensei: I know it's not intended, but say I got bow proficiency, would these abilities apply with ranged attacks? If so, would the added attacks stack with Rapid Shot?

Also, for the usual melee sort, I believe the added attacks stack with speed or haste, right?

Sever the Soul: What is the DC for?

And now, for my usual crazy suggestions:

How about an ability that grants the Sensei a surprise round if his initiative check exceeds the highest check of all enemies by a specific amount? Say, by 20?

How about getting some extra actions? Since this guy is all about speed, maybe say if he decides to forego the effects of Supreme Reflexes, he can instead do a swift action or something like that limited times per day.

Why is there no Iaijutsu Focus? I know some don't like it, but it's easier to remove something rather than add them in.

I don't know how easy or hard it is to jack up initiative, but I would prefer to have Improved Initiative for free rather than Improved Critical.

Right, that's it for now.

BelGareth
2012-03-05, 01:35 PM
Nice. Speed melee types are definitely something I would play.

Okay some comments on the skills.

Fast Movement: It would be nice if this scaled up with level. I dunno, I'm just a sucker for scaling up. This is true, But I didn't want to add too much...maybe

Strike without Thought: After a creature provokes AoO through this ability, what is the status of the weapon? Drawn? Sheathed? Or at your option since you can draw/sheath as a free action anyway? - this one

Also, I am curious as to how this would play together with abilities such as TWD or that AC bonus from Iaijutsu Master. Since this allows you to threaten enemies while your weapons are sheathed, it won't be a pretty far off idea to retain your AC bonus from the aforementioned feat/ability while you still have your weapons sheathed right?
Great Question, as long as they were not flat footed (and thanks to Uncanny dodge not likely) it would be perfectly feasible, I will most likely leave that ambiguous for DM's to decide.

Sensei/Dai Sensei: I know it's not intended, but say I got bow proficiency, would these abilities apply with ranged attacks? If so, would the added attacks stack with Rapid Shot?
I was going to do an ACF for ranged weapons, as it stands no it's solely for Melee

Also, for the usual melee sort, I believe the added attacks stack with speed or haste, right?
Yes

Sever the Soul: What is the DC for?
Dispel affects

And now, for my usual crazy suggestions:

How about an ability that grants the Sensei a surprise round if his initiative check exceeds the highest check of all enemies by a specific amount? Say, by 20?
I like this, great Idea, I even had something like this in my ideas but it didn't make the cut

How about getting some extra actions? Since this guy is all about speed, maybe say if he decides to forego the effects of Supreme Reflexes, he can instead do a swift action or something like that limited times per day.
Hmm...interesting, something like a reverse Robilars gambit?

Why is there no Iaijutsu Focus? I know some don't like it, but it's easier to remove something rather than add them in.
Thought it was clunky and unnecessary, that's why I linked Iaijutsu to initiative, makes it simpler and less MAD (or less complicated)

I don't know how easy or hard it is to jack up initiative, but I would prefer to have Improved Initiative for free rather than Improved Critical.
It's extremely easy to jack up initiative, check the link in Additional info. also I made it improved crit to emphasize the Katana and the disciplines focus, plus if, by then, you should have improved init and then it would just be a free feat

Right, that's it for now.
Thanks for the PEACH!

P.S oh yeah, not sure you saw or not but I added back the Martial progression from the first version

GuyFawkes
2012-03-06, 01:29 AM
Oh right. I missed that. Added versatility, cool!

Hmm, how about adding one of the maneuvers depending on the ACF? Take out Shadow Hand and Iron Heart, then put in White Raven plus one of the following depending on the ACF: Iron Heart for the normal one, Tiger Claw for the TWF ACF and Shadow Hand for the Sneak Attack ACF?

BelGareth
2012-03-07, 02:37 PM
Oh right. I missed that. Added versatility, cool!

Hmm, how about adding one of the maneuvers depending on the ACF? Take out Shadow Hand and Iron Heart, then put in White Raven plus one of the following depending on the ACF: Iron Heart for the normal one, Tiger Claw for the TWF ACF and Shadow Hand for the Sneak Attack ACF?

Again, those are interesting ideas... I may do it....to add versatility is always good.