PDA

View Full Version : [PF] New Oracle Curses?

Novawurmson
2012-03-05, 03:09 AM
While the list of Oracle Mysteries keeps growing, the list of Oracle curses (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/oracle-curses) seems alarmingly stagnant. Of those already printed, I only really see Haunted Oracles (with the occasional Tongues), or maybe Lame Oracles if they're going Rage Prophet.

What are some ideas for new Oracle curses with fun roleplaying potential?

Feralventas
2012-03-05, 03:37 AM
There's also the Black Blood curse on the SRD, which I think comes from one of the Adventure paths, unless you're looking only for homebrew.

BobVosh
2012-03-05, 03:58 AM
I did the blind oracle, as it was by and far the most fun seeming to roleplay. It was close call between that and haunted.

However I would love to see some homebrew or suggestions as well for curses.

Dr_S
2012-03-05, 06:36 AM
How about Hallucinations
The Oracle's Divine powers have overloaded the cleric manifesting in hallucinations. For some they thing they're being haunted by a dead loved one, some think they have an imaginary friend, for some it is just bright lights and sounds that no one else can see. Whatever the case when these hallucinations get particularly bad they make it hard for the Oracle to ignore.

Whenever the Oracle makes a skill/ability/or Concentration check*, roll a percentile (likely hood of incident to decrease every 5 levels; perhaps 30%chance at level 5 decreasing by 5 at lvl5, 10, 15)

If there is an incident, The oracle must pass a will save. (DC 10+1/2 Oracle Hit Dice should be passable but not a guarantee)

This results in 3 possible outcomes:
1) No incident. Oracle has a moment of freedom from her hallucinations, she is so used to working with distractions that she gets a bonus +1 to the check she's making (increases by an additional 1 at 5,10 and 15)

2)Major Incident... Oracle is having a more intense hallucination than usual, perhaps a ghost of a loved one appeared in her path as she was attempting a running jump, or a headache inducing noise started while using diplomacy to negotiate with someone unaware of her condition, or just keeps talking while the Oracle tries to forge something with linguistics causing a mistake. Whatever happened, the Oracle reacts to the hallucination and whatever the skill, the Oracle fails the check.* (for RP purposes, the Oracle should occasionally react to Hallucinations in situations in which it doesn't matter)

3) Minor Incident. The oracle is having a vision but it's easy enough to ignore, the skill check is taken normally, no bonus, but no automatic failure either.

Ok so obviously this hasn't been tested, alternate idea, fixed percentage and fixed DC (so that as the oracle levels the chance of an "incident" don't change, but the chance of brushing it off increase) I'm not emotionally attached to the DC's or percentages I suggested, but it seems the benefits of a curse generally increase while the drawbacks either remain constant or decrease. I made this up on the spot so seriously test it out or let your player know you might be tweaking it before implementing.

*Note: There are some Skills (bluff comes to mind) or Ability Checks, in which in certain circumstances the hallucination wouldn't require a automatic failure. Talking to a figment of your imagination might make someone suspicious, but wouldn't reveal the nature of a lie unless you tell your imaginary friend something the person you're lying to doesn't know. at the DM's discretion a major incident may manifest as a circumstance penalty, or the DM may feel the need for an adjustment in DC depending on the task. Knowledge Checks failed because of a distraction CAN be reattempted after ample time for the hallucination to subside.

**EDIT: To edit in the obvious and a few other things, but it should be stated, the Oracle would be aware that they failed their skill check, because they're aware that they were yelling at their talking flying goldfish friend while hiding from the enemy.

Roll percentile or save before taking 10, you can't take 10 with a distraction, so taking 10 can only happen during minor or no incident.

When Taking 20, Oracle CAN take 20 repeatedly for the +4 bonus if they succeed with a minor incident (no bonus) each time the Oracle fails, or doesn't get the +4 bonus still uses up the time required to take 20 like usual.

END EDIT**