PDA

View Full Version : Julio Scoundrél (spoilers)

Castamir
2012-03-05, 08:05 AM
I'm afraid that Familicide has taken a yet another victim. By being connected to so many bloodlines, and having a postal box dedicated to nothing but paternity claims, it is so damn unlikely he escaped the spell.

But oh well, as an old mentor figure for a protagonist, he knew his end is coming.

Hironomus
2012-03-05, 08:19 AM
His only hope is that he steered clear of the western continent (which seems unlikely). :smallfrown:

LadyFoxfire
2012-03-05, 08:22 AM
Don't be silly. Julio is a dashing swordsman, and lives and breathes drama as much as Elan and Tarquin. It would be totally undramatic for him to die off-screen like that, especially when more plot-relevent characters have already been killed by the same effect. It wouldn't really affect the familicide situation any more than the deaths of the Draketooths -- it's not going to make V feel any worse, or make the Order any angrier when they find out. It just doesn't make sense from a dramatic point of view, and we all know about the relation of drama and probability in this world.

Wrecan
2012-03-05, 08:56 AM
Julio would be smart enough to ensure he wasn't open to paternity suits. The OOTSiverse even have poisons that can help (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0784.html) and Tarquin knows a way to prevent having any more children (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0751.html).

That effort may have saved Elan, Nale, and Tarquin's lives. I would not be surprised if Julio also took precautions.

Castamir
2012-03-05, 09:02 AM
From this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html) and from SSDT we know that he not only doesn't take such precautions or mutilate himself, but also has fathered a number of children that rivals Temujin.

Emperor Flumph
2012-03-05, 09:05 AM
Is it really that likely that Julio fathered a child with one of the Draketooth clan?
I know there are other black dragons and presumably other half-dragons and half-dragons' families and families' families who were killed, but... y'know what, yeah. He's probably dead. Damn that's a lot of people.

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-05, 10:35 AM
No he's not, he made his save!

Wrecan
2012-03-05, 11:30 AM
From this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html) and from SSDT we know that he not only doesn't take such precautions or mutilate himself, but also has fathered a number of children that rivals Temujin.

Good point. On the other hand, the fact that he specifies that his children are on "the continent", which would be the North-South continent, and not the Western Continent, means perhaps he hasn't mated with a Draketooth, and perhaps the ABD's other relatives (or their descendants) did not mate with him.

Oh, who am I kidding. RIP, Julio.

NerfTW
2012-03-05, 11:39 AM
Tarquin knows a way to prevent having any more children (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0751.html).

Yes, it's called a condom. They've actually had those for thousands of years in the real world. In a world of magic, birth control would be even easier. He's simply stating that he's going out of his way not to accidentally have unprotected sex. Well, that or he's murdering some of his wives when they're pregnant, but that should probably be left unsaid.

Castamir
2012-03-05, 12:18 PM
In a D&D world, sexually transmitted diseases are not a concern, especially if you're a high level character. Note how Julio merely said he needs to visit a cleric.

And a ruler of a good part of the world like Tarquin has lots to gain from having more children, even if that brings risks as well. In the real world, children are far more likely to be trusted allies to their parents than a random stranger would be. In the OOTSverse, you can get a lot of fame (ie, be a bigger legend) if your children are famous.

Dungeonstone
2012-03-05, 02:42 PM
You are forgetting one thing even if he did father a child with someone of a bloodline targeted by the Familicide spell..

Dramatic Plot Device!

=========================================

Cut to Scoundrel during the round before the Familicide spell was cast...

Big time Scenery Chewing Antagonist: Ah HAH Scoundrel! At last I have you captured and this time there will be NO MAGICAL ESCAPE due to the Epic Anti-Magical spells placed upon this room.

~One Round Later~

RUUUMMMMBBBLLLE Ka-ZAAA-Fizzle.

Scoundrel and Big time Scenery Chewing Antagonist looking around the room...

Scoundrel: My Sense of the Dramatic tells me that something ~very~ important just happened but for the life of me I have no idea what it was..

Scoundrel then turns, breaks the fourth wall and winks to the reader.

:smallwink:

Tarl
2012-03-05, 02:55 PM
Brilliant, that has got to be exactly how it happened! Except he broke the fourth wall not third.

Sorry to nitpick, but I wanted to agree with you cause that post was awesome, and... well I also wanted to nitpick.

Dungeonstone
2012-03-05, 03:00 PM
Brilliant, that has got to be exactly how it happened! Except he broke the fourth wall not third.

Sorry to nitpick, but I wanted to agree with you cause that post was awesome, and... well I also wanted to nitpick.

Fixed.

:smallbiggrin:

Skyrunner
2012-03-05, 03:00 PM
You win! :D

Absol197
2012-03-05, 04:35 PM
You are forgetting one thing even if he did father a child with someone of a bloodline targeted by the Familicide spell..

Dramatic Plot Device!

=========================================

Cut to Scoundrel during the round before the Familicide spell was cast...

Big time Scenery Chewing Antagonist: Ah HAH Scoundrel! At last I have you captured and this time there will be NO MAGICAL ESCAPE due to the Epic Anti-Magical spells placed upon this room.

~One Round Later~

Scoundrel and Big time Scenery Chewing Antagonist looking around the room...

Scoundrel: My Sense of the Dramatic tells me that something ~very~ important just happened but for the life of me I have no idea what it was..

I'm very sorry, you have this wrong.

It goes:

Big time Scenery Chewing Antagonist: Ah HAH Scoundrel! At last I have you captured, and this time there will be NO MAGICAL ESCAPE, due to the Epic Anti-Magical spells placed upon the cage in which you are confined, the shackles that bind your hands and feet, and the band placed upon your head! Now I shall...RUUUMMMMBBBLLLE Ka-ZAAAPPP!!!

Big Time Scenery Chewing Antagonist Dies, familicide bolt heads for Scoundrel.

Scoundrel: Well, you should have expected something like that to happen, if you go through all that effort to stop me from escaping magically. Really now, it's just common sense!

Cirin
2012-03-05, 05:41 PM

That's awesome. I would love to see that actually done as a strip.

Until explicitly shown otherwise, that's how I'm going to assume it went. :smallbiggrin:

Michaeler
2012-03-05, 05:54 PM
I agree. Julio gets a bonus to all saves vs dying in uninteresting ways.

Math_Mage
2012-03-05, 06:10 PM
I agree. Julio gets a bonus to all saves vs dying in uninteresting ways.

It's a Dashing Swordsman class feature.