PDA

View Full Version : Where is Ian Starshine?

Hopeless
2012-03-05, 08:40 AM
Last seen jumping the oversized transport and heard telling his friend he knew a place to lie low in the Windy Canyon...

Yet to be seen but has to be here somewhere, given he's a reputed 1st edition thief and was held in an anti-magic gladiatorial prison before being helped by the Order of the Stick before his getting in Tarquin's face forced him to jump ship (or whatever that was).

Now a scene suggests if he was a member of the draketooth clan he should be dead but we're assuming thats showing Tarquin's genre Savvy proof prison so given his paranoid belief that only members of his family could be trusted he could easily be an adopted member of the clan...

Still that doesn't answer the question... where is Ian Starshine?

Hironomus
2012-03-05, 08:55 AM
About to rendez vous with Varsuuvius in the pit trap? Would be cool if the Draketooths were the very people he was planning on hiding with. They aren't family sure, but they share his opinion about the importance of family. A truce may be possible.

Roland Itiative
2012-03-05, 10:08 AM
The moment I saw V falling through the floor, I immediately thought about the possibility of a meeting with an associate to the Draketooths, who was conveniently listening to his confession... It seemed like a silly thought at first, but now I think may have some speck of truth :smalltongue:

The Starshines and Draketooth might even consider themselves part of the same extended family, if Ivy was actually a Draketooth, for instance. That would also make V's confession hit much harder.

leakingpen
2012-03-05, 10:53 AM
Last seen jumping the oversized transport and heard telling his friend he knew a place to lie low in the Windy Canyon...

Yet to be seen but has to be here somewhere, given he's a reputed 1st edition thief and was held in an anti-magic gladiatorial prison before being helped by the Order of the Stick before his getting in Tarquin's face forced him to jump ship (or whatever that was).

Now a scene suggests if he was a member of the draketooth clan he should be dead but we're assuming thats showing Tarquin's genre Savvy proof prison so given his paranoid belief that only members of his family could be trusted he could easily be an adopted member of the clan...

Still that doesn't answer the question... where is Ian Starshine?

Well, if he was in a magic proof prison at the time... I can't remember, was haley in prison or otherwise magic proofed at the time as well?

fergo
2012-03-05, 11:03 AM
If I recall correctly, around the time of Familicide, Haley was in Greysky City, and therefore would not be protected from the spell. And the latest comic makes it clear that those in Tarquin's cells can still be killed.

And forgive me if I'm mistaken, but if I understand it correctly, it's being suggested that Iain might be an adopted member of the clan because both the Draketooths and the Starshines only trust their families... yeah...

zimmerwald1915
2012-03-05, 11:09 AM
Well, if he was in a magic proof prison at the time... I can't remember, was haley in prison or otherwise magic proofed at the time as well?
The Cloister was probably still active on her, which may or may not have blocked any Divination component to Familicide that allowed it to seek out relatives of its victims. Simple antimagic probably wouldn't have protected Ian against an Epic spell, however.

RMS Oceanic
2012-03-05, 11:10 AM

He doesn't mention Windy Canyon, just a place (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0815.html). It doesn't preclude his turning up here, but it doesn't confirm it either.

Gift Jeraff
2012-03-05, 11:11 AM
I think Ian and Geoff have been kidnapped by the Linear Guild, since last we saw Kilkil was about to tell Tarquin about Ian. Would Nale and Sabine pass on the opportunity to torture Haley emotionally?

Wrecan
2012-03-05, 11:39 AM
Even if Ian and Geoff are heading to the Windy Canyon, they are heading there by foot, while OOTS went there by flying carpet, delayed a day by retrieving Vaarsuvius from the Semi-Plane of Elemental Ranch Dressing. If Ian and Geoff are heading to the Windy Canyon they will get there in a day or two.

I don't think the LG will abduct Ian and Geoff. Instead, Tarquin will use whatever tracking device he uses to locate Ian and Geoff when they escape to find Girard's ziggurat, by finding them in Girar'd ziggurat.

Hironomus
2012-03-05, 12:03 PM
Even if Ian and Geoff are heading to the Windy Canyon, they are heading there by foot, while OOTS went there by flying carpet, delayed a day by retrieving Vaarsuvius from the Semi-Plane of Elemental Ranch Dressing. If Ian and Geoff are heading to the Windy Canyon they will get there in a day or two.

I don't think the LG will abduct Ian and Geoff. Instead, Tarquin will use whatever tracking device he uses to locate Ian and Geoff when they escape to find Girard's ziggurat, by finding them in Girar'd ziggurat.

Kudos on using the word Ziggurat. :smallamused:

Wrecan
2012-03-05, 12:43 PM
Thanks, sadly, I since realized Tarquin has already placed a tracking rune on Elan's flying carpet, which they can use to find the ziggurat.

LordRahl6
2012-03-05, 02:01 PM
Even though the current presumption is that Ian and Haley aren't Draketooth's in reality and that Ian only said "he knows a place" doesn't rule out the most important law of Storytelling. Which is that,if a plot point is important enough to the story, no matter the loops that will have to be jumped, it WILL return to the story.:smallwink:

Hopeless
2012-03-05, 04:12 PM
If I recall correctly, around the time of Familicide, Haley was in Greysky City, and therefore would not be protected from the spell. And the latest comic makes it clear that those in Tarquin's cells can still be killed.

And forgive me if I'm mistaken, but if I understand it correctly, it's being suggested that Iain might be an adopted member of the clan because both the Draketooths and the Starshines only trust their families... yeah...

Yep i figure that would neatly solve why he wasn't effected and therefore why haley wasn't then struck down of course if that anti-magic field does block that epic spell by virtue of Ian being an epic thief then it would also skip haley since it failed to hit her father.

Got the bit about where he was heading wrong but what are the odds?

Be interesting to find out why haley's mother was attacked though!

Sorry to go on a tangent but did they ever explain why Ian thought it so important to help fight Tarquin and his adventuring group?

PS: It would be fun if we find V have just fallen into the same trap Ian & co have also...

Deepbluediver
2012-03-06, 03:18 PM
Yep i figure that would neatly solve why he wasn't effected and therefore why haley wasn't then struck down of course if that anti-magic field does block that epic spell by virtue of Ian being an epic thief then it would also skip haley since it failed to hit her father.
Neatly? It seems extremely convoluted when a far simpler explanation is that they just aren't related. Is there any eveidence for them to be missing members of the draketooth clan, OTHER than having red hair?

Be interesting to find out why haley's mother was attacked though!
Because they where living in a city full of cutthroats and thieves? I kind of got the impression that random murders or muggings gone wrong aren't that uncommon in Greysky, even for regular people, let along for some one with enemies, like Ian.

Sorry to go on a tangent but did they ever explain why Ian thought it so important to help fight Tarquin and his adventuring group?
Somewhat. Despite being a thief and borderline paranoid, Ian has a character trait that leads him to help people in need. This was why he was popular with the thieves guild in Greysky, and why Bozzok, his rival for guild leadership, needed to get rid of him. Bozzok got a few of his associates on the western continent to forge a letter to Ian, that desribed how some of his [Ian's] family members needed help. Bozzok also says though, something like "I never did figure out what they wrote to get him [Ian] to rush off like that."
Basically, Ian didn't know about Tarquin until Bozzok fudged the truth to get Ian to run into Tarquin's path.

cloudland
2012-03-06, 05:26 PM
Um, they even have different family name for once, and note that Starshine have RED hair, but Draketooth have SCARLET hair, so it's hard to think they are the same family. What I suspected more likely is that Ian is a high level thief who actually managed to penetrate Windy Canyon illusion before and know hiding place there.

Also, this reminds me of a small plot details....Haley STILL have Cloister on her, that means any non-epic attempt to scry her would still fail. I wonder if it affect the rune on the Arabic carpet though.

Because they where living in a city full of cutthroats and thieves? I kind of got the impression that random murders or muggings gone wrong aren't that uncommon in Greysky, even for regular people, let along for some one with enemies, like Ian.

Actually, the city have enough high level cleric for Resurrection so it should not happened that it's just a random mugger. What I think is, she was killed by the thief guild to cover up something, and all the cleric are in the guild's hand, and it's hard to smuggle a body out of the city.

hamishspence
2012-03-06, 05:33 PM
Um, they even have different family name for once, and note that Starshine have RED hair, but Draketooth have SCARLET hair, so it's hard to think they are the same family.

There is considerable variation in Draketooth colours:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0841.html

And Girard himself was much "paler" in hair color than some of his descendants.

It does seem like coincidence though- not all people with red hair, even comparable in shade, are related.

dtilque
2012-03-06, 10:38 PM
Also, this reminds me of a small plot details....Haley STILL have Cloister on her, that means any non-epic attempt to scry her would still fail. I wonder if it affect the rune on the Arabic carpet though.

Both Haley and Belkar are under the effects of the Cloister. Possibly Roy as well, since his body left Azure City at the same time they did. But his Resurection may have cancelled that. Or perhaps Cloister doesn't affect dead people.

It would probably only affect the carpet if the person holding it were Cloistered.

I do wonder how Tarquin & Co. are scrying on the carpet. Are they just letting Z scry it or do they have a wide-screen crystal ball like Xykon and the IFCC?

fan4battle
2012-03-07, 08:03 AM
If the Starshines were Draketooth, they would have the dragon mark (tattoo), right?

Caractacus
2012-03-07, 10:11 AM
If the Starshines were Draketooth, they would have the dragon mark (tattoo), right?

Yeah, but if I had it on my lower back for instance, I'd get a tattoo over it that looked appropriate for the location and hid the mark...wait...:smalltongue:

Fish
2012-03-07, 11:34 AM
The Giant has explained to us that Ian is sterile, due to a poison dart trap; he hasn't been able to have more children for years. My guess is that Ian, a savvy and paranoid thief, may once or twice have been targeted by the Draketooth scam. It would have failed. Perhaps that's how he knows of the clan?

Hopeless
2012-03-10, 07:51 AM
The Giant has explained to us that Ian is sterile, due to a poison dart trap; he hasn't been able to have more children for years. My guess is that Ian, a savvy and paranoid thief, may once or twice have been targeted by the Draketooth scam. It would have failed. Perhaps that's how he knows of the clan?

Now that would be a interesting idea!

The Draketooth plot not only failed but Ian tracked them back to their lair!

Paranoid and trust only family meet your perfect neighbour!!!

LordRahl6
2012-03-10, 06:22 PM

Could Someone please point to that strip (or quote) please where it explains this intriguing detail of Ian's sterility.:smallconfused:

Michaeler
2012-03-10, 07:29 PM
Could Someone please point to that strip (or quote) please where it explains this intriguing detail of Ian's sterility.:smallconfused:

Sterile as a mule (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0784.html)

Dark Elf Bard
2012-03-10, 07:45 PM
Didn't he mention Aunt Something? He's with her I bet...

mrzomby
2012-03-10, 07:56 PM

Geoff wanted to go with Aunt Ivy, but Ian was against this, saying he had another place to hide.

MyNameIsSecret
2012-03-10, 07:57 PM

I think you mean Aunt Ivy, and if so nope (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0815.html), they're not heading there.

EDIT: Ninja'd! Dammit, mrzomby, you're fast...

LordRahl6
2012-03-11, 11:24 AM
Sterile as a mule (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0784.html)

Thanks Michaeler! Seemed more approiate to a strip than mere reference, but I wanted to know where for sure it came from.:smallcool:

cloudland
2012-03-14, 02:45 PM
I just remembered a strip earlier where Bozzok mentioned how he used one of his subordinate to send a letter to Ian causing him to rush to Tyranica.
Then Uncle Geoff seems to actually scared when Belkar mentioned Bozzok, afraid Bozzok sent Belkar.
Do you think Geoff is actually that Bozzok's subordinate, and now already killed Ian in the desertt?

Mr. Pants
2012-03-14, 02:49 PM
Maybe he's heading back to Greysky City...

Fish
2012-03-14, 03:01 PM
I've wondered this too, cloudland. Geoff is missing a body part, just as was Eagle Eye Pete.