PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Wishes; The Player Killer

ArcGygas
2012-03-05, 09:29 AM
Wishes are infamous for being corrupted and twisted to give you technically what you ask for, but often at great cost.

This past game session, I have been given the option to have my character sign away his soul to a Contract Devil (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary3/devil.html#_devil,-contract) for 3 wishes.

Obviously, my desire is to word my wishes in such a way as to get down the specifics of the wish. My GM is fairly cool, but he's also a lawyer. So that LE Devil knows what to look for (he is, after all, in the details) to break my wishes.

Now, as for what it is that I want... I've got two wishes in mind, but not sure if they'd work.

Wish the first; Shapechange 1/day at my CL. Not sure if this is something a wish could normally do, but it's been hinted the Devil's wishes have more kick to them then, say, an Efreeti.

Wish the second; Permanent Nondetection, as we have a Paladin in the party and I'm fairly certain signing my soul over will make me evil.

I'm open to suggestions for the third wish, and ways to word them so that I don't get screwed over or screw the party over! Any help you wonder people can offer will be greatly appreciated!

And if we can get it filled with legal-eze, bonus points! :smalltongue:

Studoku
2012-03-05, 09:42 AM
To start with, don't get the words "then" and "than" mixed up. If you're going to be playing with written, legalese wishes, this is the kind of thing that can really screw you over.

For example, the result of wishing for "More power then an efreet" might result in the following:

Have some more power- you get +1 to all your stats
A wild efreet appears
Foolish adventurer, you have disturbed my slumber. Fireball!

As for actual wording, stick to the names of spells. They likely exist in-universe and there's less room for "creative misunderstanding". "I wish for a spell of Non-Detection with a limitless duration to be cast on my person" is far harder to subvert than "I wish to be unaffected by divinations".

Andvare
2012-03-05, 10:02 AM
3rd wish:

Stop George Lucas from moving forward on Indiana Jones 5.

It worked for Pun Pun, it can work for you.

Psyren
2012-03-05, 11:42 AM
Your first Wish is a no-go no matter how you word it. Duplicating other 9th-level spells is beyond the "safe" power of a Wish and therefore you are instantly in DM-screw territory. This is not to say that it can't be done, but you are totally at your DM's mercy.

Your second may be possible - for one, Permanency and Nondetection (5th and 3rd-level respectively) add up to 8th-level, and therefore should be in-bounds. In addition, there are other 3rd-level spells (and even higher) on the Permanency list. You are still at your DM's mercy, but you have more of a case for yourself if he tries anything.

But my standard advice for wishing is this - stick with the explicitly safe uses and don't try anything else. No, not even that.

Elemental
2012-03-05, 11:49 AM
My suggestion is to not sell your soul in the first place for three measly wishes.
A devil will not honour the spirit of your requests, merely the letter, and if you word them wrong, you've sold your soul for something you didn't want.

The chances of you getting what you want aren't worth the risk. Find an alternative payment option instead.

navar100
2012-03-05, 12:03 PM
Normally for this subject I advise on Wish as a DM/Player cooperative effort since the game is not DM vs. Player since Wish does not give the DM permission to screw over a player character. However, in this case, you are getting three wishes from a devil for your character's soul. You really don't see a problem with this? You're seriously going to take up the devil's offer?

Good luck.

Mystify
2012-03-05, 12:18 PM
Your first wish is clearly out of bounds. Its duplicating a 9th level spell, clearly outside of the bounds, but on top of that you want it every day. waaayyyyy out of bounds, and you'll end up shapechanged into a meal worm forever or something.

GreenSerpent
2012-03-05, 12:47 PM
First thing, agree that you'll sign over your soul once the wishes are complete.

Second, Wish for whatever you want within the rules.

Third, Wish for the ability to cast Dimensional Anchor once. Cast it on the devil.

Fourth... the nasty one. Phrase your wish very carefully to allow you to mimic a Gate or Summon Monster IX spell and bring one creature through.
Gate in a Planetar or summon in an Astral Deva. Let them shred the devil to pieces, especially the Planetar as they fight evil as pretty much their sole purpose - they fight fiends. And they happen to be CR 16 as opposed to the CR 10 demon.

Just my idea.

DrDeth
2012-03-05, 01:43 PM
Admiral Ackbar has a few words for you.

Bloodgruve
2012-03-05, 01:44 PM
Gate in a Planetar or summon in an Astral Deva. Let them shred the devil to pieces, especially the Planetar as they fight evil as pretty much their sole purpose - they fight fiends. And they happen to be CR 16 as opposed to the CR 10 demon.

If I was that Planetar I would go after the PC after I had finished with the devil, I'd view the PC as evil for willingly dealing with such things :P

Wishes with devils are more a battle of wits and legalese than anything, can you win?

GL
Blood~

GreenSerpent
2012-03-05, 01:50 PM
If I was that Planetar I would go after the PC after I had finished with the devil, I'd view the PC as evil for willingly dealing with such things :P

Wishes with devils are more a battle of wits and legalese than anything, can you win?

GL
Blood~

Actually, I know what to do. Make your first wish something good, like... erm, "Provide all the orphanages in *city name* with perpetual clean water on demand."

Hopefully the Planetar will then see what you were trying to do, e.g. trick the demon into helping you perform an act of good and then destroy it - and as such might be merciful and perhaps ask for you just to perform a penance or something.

Psyren
2012-03-05, 01:55 PM
Actually, I know what to do. Make your first wish something good, like... erm, "Provide all the orphanages in *city name* with perpetual clean water on demand."

Hopefully the Planetar will then see what you were trying to do, e.g. trick the demon into helping you perform an act of good and then destroy it - and as such might be merciful and perhaps ask for you just to perform a penance or something.

You didn't wish that the orphans could stop the flow of water as well. They drown screaming for parents that never come. The planetar feeds you your innards.

mikau013
2012-03-05, 01:56 PM
Make an int or forgery check to write a good document, after all your char is doing it, not you.

GreenSerpent
2012-03-05, 02:05 PM
You didn't wish that the orphans could stop the flow of water as well. They drown screaming for parents that never come. The planetar feeds you your innards.

That was an example. If I was really making the wish I'd get a friend of mine who studies law to read over my wish, to ensure the technicalities were covered.

Psyren
2012-03-05, 02:11 PM
That was an example. If I was really making the wish I'd get a friend of mine who studies law to read over my wish, to ensure the technicalities were covered.

Unless your friend who studies law is himself a millennia-old being of pure law and evil, your chances are still pretty slim.

And wishing goodies for yourself is one thing, but wishing goodies for the world at large? Especially as a way to save your own skin from an angry angel? The demon has massive incentive to pervert that, for the look on your face if nothing else.

Make an int or forgery check to write a good document, after all your char is doing it, not you.

If the OP's DM lets this fly, then there's nothing to worry about and the thread is unnecessary. It would come down to a die roll.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-05, 02:13 PM
Admiral Ackbar has a few words for you.

Take heed of these wise words, player.

Best advice I can offer? Laugh in the devil's face before booking it the 9 Hells out of there.