PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the Planar Shepherd. Again.

Private
2012-03-05, 01:49 PM
So my group was thinking about playing an adventure that has a reputation for being very difficult, so the idea was for everyone to make as broken of a character as possible to try to beat it with no problem. The starting level is 10, and I wanted to make a Shapechanger build (Druid, Wildshape Ranger, MoMF, Planar Shepherd, etc.) but I was having some trouble. At this point I decided just to look at monsters for fun, to see what I'd be able to turn into. Anyways, I stumbled onto an idea.

**This build combines 3.0 and 3.5, and also Has Faerun and Eberron specific components, but most optimizers don't care too much about those things.**

5 Druid / 3 Planar Shepherd

The fun starts when you take the Assume Supernatural Ability feat from Savage Species at level 6. Next, choose the Plane of Shadows (typically Fearun, I believe) as your chosen plane for Planar Shepherd. Now, at level 3 you can become a Magical Beast from your plane, and the text specifically states that you can assume a creature with a template. Luckily, the Shadow Creature template turns any corporeal creature into a Magical Beast, regardless of original type. This allows us to assume any form, as long as it doesn't surpass our size/HD limits. Next we scoot on over to Monsters of Faerun where we find our friend, the Malaugrym. The Malaugrym is a creature of the Shapechanger type, but we're going to turn into a Shadow Malaugrym, making us Magical Beast. We shall assume the "Alternate Form" (Su) ability, which allows us to cast Shapechange as a 20th level Sorcerer. Now, as an 8th level character, you can pretty much turn into any creature of up to 20 HD for an indefinite period.

Now I know that you will still retain your HP, BAB, Base Saves, etc. I still feel that this would definitely hold it's own against any other 8th level build. Obviously there are still some feats left open, and race doesn't really matter. At this point you can just keep your Wisdom up to help out your buff spells and enjoy being a melee monster.

Thoughts?

NOhara24
2012-03-05, 02:28 PM
There's a magical item floating around that lets you control the terrain around you...I'm not sure what it is, though. A ring of some kind I believe. Combine that with a hostile plane and planar bubble and it could create some rather interesting combinations.

Aeryr
2012-03-05, 02:28 PM
Consider a psionic class with practiced manifester for an increase to your manifester level and taking metamorphic transfer (that will let you take another supernatural ability that can change for every form). Or better you can take a race with a psi like ability and take directly metamorphic transfer once your manifester level is 5.

Mystify
2012-03-05, 03:05 PM
I would point out that plane of shadow is not faerun specific, as it is a major part of tome of magic, which I believe is setting agnostic.

Psyren
2012-03-05, 03:23 PM
I would point out that plane of shadow is not faerun specific, as it is a major part of tome of magic, which I believe is setting agnostic.

It is in fact core (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm#planeOfShadow) (DMG pg. 152)

Private
2012-03-05, 03:32 PM
It is in fact core (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm#planeOfShadow) (DMG pg. 152)

Awesome. I guess that makes the idea even less of a stretch. The psionic idea is pretty good too, but it pretty much functions the same way as the other feat. The bread and butter is that the Shapechange spell allows you to use all of the Ex and Su abilities and attacks of whatever you turn into. My main idea is using a Cryo/Pyro hydra with as many heads possible (12 if you think that's as high as they go, I just assume that there was no reason to print more into the entry, so we typically allow 20 headed if you have the ability) and taking Stormguard Warrior from ToB. I know I'll probably have to dip into one level of a class in there, but getting those bonuses from 20 attacks, all at your full BAB is pretty nasty, especially at 10th level.

Mystify
2012-03-05, 03:38 PM
Hmm. I wonder if this could be combined with master transmogrifist. To get in you only need to be able to cast alter self and polymorph. Its there any way to squeeze that on this build? The normal problem with it is the lost caster levels, but as you are getting level 20 shapechange anyways that is less of a concern. It will boost your favored forms a bit, and if you can get the capstone merge aspects of other forms in.
Warshaper is also a strong choice. Normally hampered by the lack of casting progression, it wouldn't slow down your shapechanging, and offers some pretty sweet buffs.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-05, 04:01 PM

While you're both right, the Malaugrym (the key to this build) IS specific to the FR campaign setting. So unfortunately, Private, it's not less of a stretch.