PDA

View Full Version : Nobilis, or how blankets will kill you in your sleep

Geostationary
2012-03-05, 06:25 PM
So, I recently picked up a copy of the 2nd & 3rd editions of Nobilis and have slowly been making my way through them, and am wondering two things:

1. What are people's thoughts on Nobilis in general? and
2. Between the systems for 2nd&3rd edition, which do you prefer?

I'm looking to eventually run something with Nobilis, but for obvious reasons I need to establish which system to use first. I have yet to actually read the 3E rules, but I have read about them.

Bitter
2012-03-05, 07:28 PM
Nobilis is the best game. If people don't quite get it, it's best described as "You are Morpheus from Sandman".

Either edition is great and there aren't huge differences between them (Although it's been so long I can't tell you what the differences even are. Treasure and Lifepaths?).

All Nobilis all the time.

Yuki Akuma
2012-03-06, 07:34 AM
Nobilis: the greatest RPG that nobody actually plays.

1of3
2012-03-06, 11:57 AM
2. Between the systems for 2nd&3rd edition, which do you prefer?

Third. For there is a system there.

Also I'm very partial to the Power of Blankets. Used him with good effect.

Bitter
2012-03-06, 01:11 PM
Yeah, the great thing about Nobilis is that the Power of Blankets can be as powerful and useful as the Power of Fire or Power of Love.

Seriously, I love it so much.

The_Snark
2012-03-06, 08:36 PM
Nobilis! It is an awesome game and doesn't have enough people playing it. Or running it (hint, hint to any prospective STs out there).

I like 3rd edition more, I think. I don't have a lot of actual experience with either, but I prefer the new stat spread over the old one, and I really like the rewritten versions of the factions. Some have actually been changed, others are just presented differently, but they're generally easier to understand and more compelling than previous versions. (Especially Hell and the Dark, who were pretty unsympathetic in 2nd edition.)

I also like the 3e's book's tendency to oscillate between dramatic and whimsical at a moment's notice.

Geostationary
2012-03-06, 09:29 PM
Running it is what I hope to do. (Huzzah!)

That's what I've generally seen about the third edition, though the 2nd is a great source for fluff so far. I do like how they've recast hell and the dark into more sympathetic, albeit evil(?), forces. I really need to get to reading through 3E.

Also, the nanofiction is the best, going from serious discussions of setting to gems like:
"This is a small magic-"
"It destroyed my world."
"Okay, fine, a medium magic."

Bagelson
2012-03-07, 08:55 PM
I've only had the chance to flip through it and I must say that I love the writing and the premise. But I've also seen a Nobilis PbP thread and I didn't have a clue as to what was going on.

Occasional Sage
2012-03-08, 12:35 AM
I know 2nd but not 3rd. Really one of the best RPGs I've seen in my 30-ish years of gaming.

Totally Guy
2012-03-08, 05:22 AM
What is the game about?

sonofzeal
2012-03-08, 07:45 AM
Wait..... how will blankets kill you in your sleep?

potatocubed
2012-03-08, 09:59 AM
The Power of Blankets animates them and has them hold you down and strangle you while you're sleeping.

I'm just reading my way through the 3rd edition rules at the moment - I rather like them, and its rekindling my interest in running a game of Nobilis again.

Regarding what the game is about... it's about the fundamental nature of things, and how you balance humanity against inhuman power, and whatever else springs to mind. The estates (areas of power) the characters have define the themes of each game separately.

For example, a game where the players are playing powers of Forbidden Love, Clocks, and Science Fiction is going to be very different to a game where they're playing the powers of Sparks, Speed and Swords.

Fouredged Sword
2012-03-08, 05:56 PM
I am getting a book as we speak. If people are willing to play along with a DM that is still learning the system I will be happy to run a game.

Ok, just gonna make a game link in LFP. LINK! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235563)

1of3
2012-03-08, 06:30 PM
What is the game about?

Characters are gods, each with a certain purview. Like Butterflies, Desecration ... or Blankets.

There are certain factions among the gods like Heaven, Hell, Dark, Light, Wild etc. And of course evil beings from outside Creation want to destroy the universe. They also have stars in their eyes.

So characters will protect their purview from destruction, conspire against fellow gods, maybe find love or whatever else they crave.

Yuki Akuma
2012-03-08, 06:32 PM
Nobles aren't Gods. Gods are a type of Imperator.

Of course, Nobles are effectively gods within their purview. Imperators just have more purviews (and are the ones that give Nobles their power).

Fouredged Sword
2012-03-08, 10:19 PM
You can play the noble of bad ideas and place them in the heads of your foes, or the god of plaid and control the places that lines intersect.

Or you could just punch a mountain in half and drive half a continent insane all at once for seeing your act of godly power.

1of3
2012-03-09, 11:16 AM
Nobles aren't Gods. Gods are a type of Imperator.

Of course, Nobles are effectively gods within their purview. Imperators just have more purviews (and are the ones that give Nobles their power).

So, they are gods, right? There is also nice little question at the beginning of one of the chapters in 2nd Edition: "Who is the oldest of gods?" There are several answers according to book.

The oldest living True God, the type of Imperator you talk about.
The oldest living Imperator.
The oldest living Power.

I forgot who each of them were. There is also a bit leeway on who should be considered living.

In 3rd Edition the word "Noble" is hardly used, by the way.

Yuki Akuma
2012-03-09, 05:49 PM
In 3rd Edition the word "Noble" is hardly used, by the way.

...And your point is...?

If it's a word used to describe them, it's a word I can use to describe them. :smalltongue:

It's also the title of the RPG.

DukeGod
2012-03-09, 05:56 PM
Nobilis is awesome. I was playing an online game though sadly our HG disappeared

Oh well, I prefer 3ed it seemed easier to read and Lifepaths make for awesome chargen

Shadowknight12
2012-03-10, 04:09 PM
I skimmed through the book. It not only failed to rouse my interest, it also made me realise I would never be able to understand it. Thus far, it remains the only RPG I've read that requires a greater intellectual capacity than I possess. A pity, I heard good things about it.

I found the obsession with flowers to be vaguely distasteful, but that might be me misunderstanding the entire point behind it.

Lost Demiurge
2012-03-12, 03:02 PM
Oh, the third edition book's out?

Groovy! Perhaps now I'll have an easier time putting together my power of Beneficial Ruin.

DukeGod
2012-03-12, 10:11 PM
Oh, the third edition book's out?

Groovy! Perhaps now I'll have an easier time putting together my power of Beneficial Ruin.

The third edition was released last year O-o

Lost Demiurge
2012-03-14, 03:21 PM
The third edition was released last year O-o

In print? Or just PDF?

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-03-16, 07:08 PM
In print? Or just PDF?

First PDF, I think the meatspace version is out or "on demand" for printing purposes.

As for the game itself, I love it even if I haven't had much chance to play it. Seen a bit of the 2E and need to get a copy of the 3E.:smallbiggrin: