PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with my Psion (PF)

JoeYounger
2012-03-05, 07:02 PM
Hey guys, I'd like a bit of peer review for the new character I'm bringing into a campaign. I'm going straight Psion and my build looks like this.

Starting stats:
str 11
dex 11
con 16
int 18 (20 Elan, 22 level)
wis 14
cha 15

Favored Class: Psion

lVL cLS SAVES BAB
1 Psi 1 0 0 2 0
2 Psi 2 0 0 3 1
3 Psi 3 1 1 3 1
4 Psi 4 1 1 4 2
5 Psi 5 1 1 4 2
6 Psi 6 2 2 5 3
7 Psi 7 2 2 5 3
8 Psi 8 2 2 6 4
9 Psi 9 3 3 6 4
10 Psi 10 3 3 7 5

PP: 135 (+88 class, +35 int, +10 favored class, +2 racial feat)

CLASS FEATURES/SPECIAL ABILITIES:

1 Bonus feat (psicrystal affinity), detect psionics, discipline (Telepathy), discipline talents (Mind link, conceal thoughts), aberrant nature, naturally psionic, Elan Resistance, Elan Resilience, Elan Repletion
2 discipline ability (bump save DC on telepathy spells by 1 for ever 2pp augmenting)
3 -
4 -
5 Bonus feat (over channel)
6 -
7 -
8 discipline ability (telepathy 420 ft)
9 -
10 Bonus feat (Expanded knowledge:Energy ball)

PSIONIC ABILITIES: (21 known, max level 5, - implies it doesnt count against max known)

1st level: Vigor, Mind thrust(-), conceal thoughts (-), Empathic connection, Call to mind, Ectoplasmic sheen, Fortify
2nd level: Cloud mind, Share pain, Brain lock, recall agony, metamorphasis minor
3rd level: Touch sight, Chrisis of breath, body adjustment
4th level: Fold space, Psychic reformation, Memory modification, Mind control, Energy ball(-), Flight (-), slip the bonds
5th level: Adapt body, Ectoplasmic creation (major), pierce the veils

FEATS:

1 Maximize Power
1 Alertness (granted from psicrystal)
1 psicrystal affinity (psion 1 bonus feat)
1 Psionic talen (Elan bonus feat)
3 Psionic meditation
5 Quicken power
5 overchannel (psion 5 bonus feat
7 psicrystal containment
9 Expanded knowledge: flight
10 Expanded knowledge: energy ball (psion 10 bonus feat)

SKILLS: *= max ranks

Autohypnosis*
Bluff*
Diplomacy*
Know: Arcana*
Know: Dungeoneering 1
Know: Engineering 1
Know: Geography*
Know: History 3
Know: Local 1
Know: Nature 1
Know: Nobility 1
Know: Planes 1
Know: Religion 1
Know: Psionics 1
Spellcraft*

GEAR (62k): 61.4k spent
16k +4 int
2k psicrystal staff
36k torc of power preservation
1.7k companion stone of diplo
2k haversack
1k muleback cords
2.7k psionic tatoos (listed below*)

chamelion x 3
compression x 3
expansion 1 x 3
body adjustment x 2
body purification x 3

Does anyone see anything glaringly wrong with that? This is my first psionic character, and I'd like to make sure I don't show up with something stupidly broken. The group I'm playing with is a pretty low-mid OP level, so I'm not looking for anything that will be anymore of a show stealer than a regular wizard*. Are there any spells on there that I shouldn't have? Or am I missing any that I should? In PF psicrystals no longer gain feats and I'm the only psionic character in the party so I didn't pick up feat leach. And next level (once I get access to overland flight) I plan on psychic reformationing Expanded knowledge: flight away and picking up Metapsionic Extend to save some PP for my long term buffs. Anyone see anything I'm doing wrong? Or anything that I could do better?

Like I said, Im going for mid OP, the rest of the party is a Barb, Cleric, Ranger, Fighter, Monk, Rouge/swash/???. I tried to pick my powers to where I'd not outshine anyone, and where I'd fit in rather nicely, but I typically optimize more than the rest of the group and I'd rather not get psionics banned from the campaign by showing up and being able to do something stupid OP. Thoughts?

* I know wizards are stupid.

Psyren
2012-03-06, 01:58 AM
Any chance you can get the 16 into Dex and the 15 into Con? Str and Cha can be the 11s instead.

There is no Pathfinder Psion handbook (yet...) but the 3.5 one (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10238.0) will do in a pinch; the class and the power ratings haven't changed a great deal.

For your power choices - you have a good suite of buffs but your offense needs work. You're leaning a bit heavily on will saves; round this out with some non-will saves (like Ectoplasmic Cocoon) or no-save at all (Astral Construct.)

Featwise, I don't think you need Maximize Power so early, especially when it's pushing other stuff that could come in handy (like Psionic Meditation and Overchannel) further down the line.

JoeYounger
2012-03-06, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I wasn't too concerned with when the feats came online just as long as I qualified for all of em when they were taken since we're starting at level 10.

As far as ectoplasmic cacoon and astral construct, would those be worth dropping a feat to learn with expanded knowledge? Or were those psion powers in 3.5?

Psyren
2012-03-06, 10:16 AM
AC is definitely worth a feat, always. Cocoon I forgot was also shaper-specific - it's still good, but by then you have other options to choose from instead, like Concussion Blast or Swarm of Crystals, that don't cost a feat to learn.

JoeYounger
2012-03-06, 11:07 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the help buddy, I really appreciate your input!