PDA

View Full Version : The Lord of Ice- Evilt Lt. Build Help

AzazelSephiroth
2012-03-05, 07:19 PM
Hey all!
I have been on a hiatus for a while now and am happy to return to the forums. And of course as soon as I get back I need some super Monster Building assistance. :smallbiggrin:

I am currently co-Dming a campaign with a large group of players and one in particular is quite dangerous... a half-ogre barb/frenz berserk... he has the leap attack, spirit lion totem pounce, and generally has made almost all 1-1 battles between him and creatures end in tears. :smallannoyed: But the character is fun to play with, despite making encounters super hard to plan. Soooo my request of the playground is this:

I need a powerful Frost Giant Lt. who will be able to go toe to toe with this guy for a few rounds and pull some nasty surprises. He wil have an entourage of friends to keep the rest of the group busy, but I know that the Barb will chrage this guy first, for story reasons as well as the obvious threat level.

My thoughts are a Frost Giant Cleric- but I have rarely played a Cleric before and so could use some advice on that front. Also any other suggestions for other builds or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Party level is 12-15, not sure yet when this guy will arrive on the scene.
The character in question we must challenge is a Half-Ogre Barb6/Frenz6-8ish. He is large size weilding a Huge two handed hammer, yes I know monkey grip is not great but it is so awesome to imagine:smallsmile: The hope is this guy can be a believable dark lord of giants and still stand up to this super warrior of doom for more than 1-2 rounds. (my goal is 4-5 rounds if possible!)

The Frost Giant has custom stats before ability adjustments:
18, 18, 16, 16, 14, 14 a gift from his dark master.

I know that was a lot of reading and Thank You guys( and gals:smallwink:) in advance!

Moogleking
2012-03-05, 07:49 PM
How about just an Illusionist? He can't have a great Will save, so just keep having Mirror Image up and Silence images for him to target. Can't one-shot what you can't hit.

JoeYounger
2012-03-05, 07:56 PM
Have it be a regular barbarian with a contingent delay death on him. Or if you dont want him to live for 11 rounds have 2-3 contingent heal spells on him set to go off when he would go negative. So instead of having like 180-200 hp he effectively has 650 hp. Dont go too crazy with his offense though, because even with the frenzy zerker not dying from hp loss while in frenzy, you dont want him to be at -800hp when the giant drops or the cleric wont be able to get him up.

Averis Vol
2012-03-05, 08:02 PM
if hes going to be a frost giant, first i'd give him a ring of fire resistance, that weakness sucks. as for him being a cleric, i would choose auril as his deity (frostburn) and to stop him, since he seems liek an uber charger, jsut pick up stuff that: 1) obscures his vision, can't hit what ya cant see after all and 2) choose spells that make the ground difficult terrain, or make the place of battle difficult terrain, that way he cant charge.

on point 2 pick up spells like ice slick (frostburn 84) and cover the area with snow, so when he charges (if he can) hes going to have to make a balance check or fall on his ass, or you could simply fatigue him so he cant enter rage/frenzy. on point 1 a simple sleet storm on with you having true seeing will make him not be able to target the giant so mr. frost can just stand outside that 5 ft view radius and whack him with a big stick.

bestow curse works too, 50% chance to miss, -6 to an ability score or -4 to attacks and saves all blow hard. dispel magics a bit of a cheap shot but its there also.

you could also make him a druid and mess him up with even more battlefield control. hope this helps.

Averis Vol
2012-03-05, 08:05 PM
How about just an Illusionist? He can't have a great Will save, so just keep having Mirror Image up and Silence images for him to target. Can't one-shot what you can't hit.

he gets a bonus to will when enraged, so it would be better to target that meager reflex save.

AzazelSephiroth
2012-03-07, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the replys people!
I am leaning towards a Cleric of Winter from Frostburn and maybe using DMM:persist to boost his defence and offense for when he is in melee. The problem is he only has 5-7 levels of classes to work with. 14HD of Giant and I dont want him much more powerful as the group, while large, will be facing this guy and his minions together.

Here is his build so far currently with no DMM instead focusing on cold spells:

Lord of Ice
CE Large Giant (Cold) Level 5 Cleric
Hit Dice: 19d8+133 (285max) (14giant+5cleric)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40ft (50ft.).
Armor Class: 34 (-1 size, +1 dexterity, +10 full plate +2, +2 deflection, +3 dodge from expertise, +9 natural)/Flat footed 30 /Touch 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+29
Attack: Soul Reaver +25 3d6+20(30) 19-20x3, or Lightning Javelin 5d6 Electricity dc15
Full Attack: Soul Reaver +25/+20 3d6+20(30) 19-20x3, or Lightning Javelin 5d6 Electricity dc15
Space/Reach: 10ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Rock Throwing
Special Qualities: Immunity to Cold/Vulnerability to Fire/Low-light Vision/Rock Catching
Saves: Fort-+23, Ref-+10, Will-+20
Abilities: Str34, Dex14, Con24, Int16, Wis22 (28), Cha14
Skills: Spot +20, Listen +20, Spellcraft +25, Knowledge Religion +14, Concentration +18, Sense Motive +20, Intimidate +24, Use Magic Device +13.
Feats: Weapon Focus Great Axe, Improved Crit. Great Axe, Improved Iniative, Combat Expertise (always on calculated in above), Snow Casting, Cold Focus, Greater Cold Focus, Frost Fell Prodigy. (currently has 2 extra feats)

Potential Spell list:
1- Conjure Ice Beast I
Entropic Shield (rang atk 20% miss chance)
Divine Favor (+2 to attack/damage)
Cause Fear (dc20)
Fortify Cold Creature (+1to attack/saves)
Ice Slick (dc20)
2- Blood Snow (dc23)
Obscuring Snow (dc23)
Thin Air (dc23)
Resist Energy (10 points of fire)
Snow Walk
3- Dispel Magic
Binding Snow (dc24)
Defile Snow and Ice (dc24)
Dispel Magic? Conjure Ice Beast III

Treasure: Full Plate +2, Soul Reaver +2 (+2 Great Axe of Life Stealing), Lightning Javelin x5, Periapt of Wisdom +6, Cloak of Resistance +3, Potion of Invisibility, Potion of Fly, Wand of Darkness 13 charges, +2 ring of Protection.

He is not quite finished yet but I would love some advice, number checking etc from the Playground! Please give me your best ideas, critques, and suggestions! Thanks for all the help in advance!

*edit* had to mark his class levels etc.