PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Fire Immunity

Lateral
2012-03-05, 09:24 PM
Does anyone know of any permanent, undispellable (SU or better) methods of gaining fire immunity, preferably available at fairly low levels? A race or template would work as long as it has combined LA and RHD ≤ 2. Mantle of the Fiery Spirit doesn't really work- its extra costs mean that it's "not generally available" as a one-time buy.

Mystify
2012-03-05, 09:37 PM
half dragon comes to mind first, but that is +3 LA.
half fire elemental has the same deal.

fire gnomes from the planar handbook are a playable race with the fire subtype, meaning fire immunity, though it comes with cold vulnerability. LA +1. Also casts fire spells a +2 caster level.

Fire-souled is a +1 LA that will give you the fire subtype, but its from a dragon magazine

savage species has the ritual of the elements, which can give you the fire suptype. It costs 36k, 1,440 xp, and gives a +1 LA.

Silva Stormrage
2012-03-05, 09:40 PM
You could be an awakened Fiery skeleton (Libris Mortis). Would require the DM to allow you to though. Since its Lvl adjustment -, It really isn't that bad though, it could simply be refluffed to a fire based necropolitian.

Would fire resistance 10 or 15 work until you can get Mantle of the Fiery Soul?

Edit: And firesouled is actually level adjustment +3. That was a mistake by crystal keep

Mystify
2012-03-05, 09:51 PM
Since its Lvl adjustment -, It really isn't that bad though,

Level adjustment - is "not playable", not "0". If you do get a DM to allow it, they should still assign some LA based on it. Skeleton is giving you NA, immunity to cold(though it is swapped for immunity to fire with the template, either way its useful), natural weapons, DR(!), improved initiative, and all of the undead immunities. Even necropolitan, which is basically undead with no more frills, has an xp cost associated with it, which is essentially a +1 LA that is bought off immediately, as per the LA buyoff rules(more or less. -1 level from level 2 is 2000xp, and there is an additional 1000xp, making it cost 3000xp, same as buying off 1 LA).
I'd say that being a skeleton is probably worth 1 LA.

Edit: And firesouled is actually level adjustment +3. That was a mistake by crystal keep
I'll make a note of that.

Lateral
2012-03-05, 09:57 PM
No, resistance 15 wouldn't work. I'd need at least resistance 100, so... yeah, nothing short of immunity. Fire gnomes would probably work, though.

Thrawn183
2012-03-05, 10:00 PM
Because I assume you're talking about a character that has to be able to withstand lava, I'll just leave this quote from the SRD here:

"An immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity to lava or magma. However, a creature immune to fire might still drown if completely immersed in lava."

Edit: So fire resist 5 would be fine, though you might want more if you want to be able to handle the local denizens of the deep (volcano).

Mystify
2012-03-05, 10:07 PM
Because I assume you're talking about a character that has to be able to withstand lava, I'll just leave this quote from the SRD here:

"An immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity to lava or magma. However, a creature immune to fire might still drown if completely immersed in lava."

Edit: So fire resist 5 would be fine, though you might want more if you want to be able to handle the local denizens of the deep (volcano).
I can't believe that quote is meant to mean what it says. Lava deals 20d6 damage per round, but a slight bit of fire resistance makes you immune? I think it should read"An immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity or resistance to lava". That just doesn't make sense...

Lateral
2012-03-05, 10:11 PM

See, if it were just needing to be immune to lava, that'd be fine. But it isn't. It's also so that I can cast fire spells without being hurt myself, and I plan to deal a lot of damage with these fire spells. A lot.

Thrawn183
2012-03-05, 10:12 PM
I can't believe that quote is meant to mean what it says. Lava deals 20d6 damage per round, but a slight bit of fire resistance makes you immune? I think it should read"An immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity or resistance to lava". That just doesn't make sense...

Basically, ANY magical resistance to fire damage is immunity to non-magical fire damage. It's when you get to magical fire damage that it matters what you've got in terms of resistance vs immunity.

Don't forget that if you want to go swimming in lava, you'll still need to figure out a way to breathe.

Edit: How often do you really plan to be hitting yourself with your own fire spells? At a certain point it probably becomes a better investment to look into ways to change the shape of the spells you are casting rather than pursuing fire immunity.

deuxhero
2012-03-05, 10:14 PM
You could just use a one level dip in Archmage and except your own square with the Mastery of Shaping feature.

Wings of Peace
2012-03-05, 10:20 PM
Savage Species has rituals you can perform to gain elemental subtypes (and therefore immunities). I believe they're LA +1 each.

Mystify
2012-03-05, 10:23 PM
Basically, ANY magical resistance to fire damage is immunity to non-magical fire damage. It's when you get to magical fire damage that it matters what you've got in terms of resistance vs immunity.

Don't forget that if you want to go swimming in lava, you'll still need to figure out a way to breathe.

Edit: How often do you really plan to be hitting yourself with your own fire spells? At a certain point it probably becomes a better investment to look into ways to change the shape of the spells you are casting rather than pursuing fire immunity.
but fire resistance 1 doesn't make you immune to mundane fire, does it? Being on fire is just 1d6 damage each round. Technically its not even fire damage, since its not listed as such, so fire resistance 5 wouldn't do a thing. If you are willing to say that being on fire does fire damage, and hence fire resistance helps, fire resistance 5 will still letyou take damage 1/6 of the time, so if you do nothing to put it out you will burn to death.
So fire resistance 1 will barely help you from burning in a fire, but it lets you swim in lava?

Lateral
2012-03-05, 10:38 PM
Savage Species has rituals you can perform to gain elemental subtypes (and therefore immunities). I believe they're LA +1 each.
Too expensive, both in GP and XP- keeping caster levels up is expensive, so I'd rather do this with minimal costs. It's too bad, though, those are pretty nice.

How often do you really plan to be hitting yourself with your own fire spells? At a certain point it probably becomes a better investment to look into ways to change the shape of the spells you are casting rather than pursuing fire immunity.
Pretty often; part of the character is running into groups of enemies and blowing them all up. I suppose just playing a lesser tiefling and keeping spells out of my square would work, as long as I also have a grappling defense, but Mastery of Shaping is 14th level at the least. Anyone know any better ways?

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-03-05, 10:54 PM
complete arcane has feat called sculpt spell that allow you to change the area type.

Drelua
2012-03-05, 10:56 PM
Well, according to the guidelines in the DMG, you could get a permanent item of Energy Immunity (SpC) for 66,000. It's a 6th level spell for Clerics and Druids, so if you could cast it as either of those and took the relevant item creation feat, maybe Craft Ring, you could make one for 33,000. If you have to cast it as a wizard spell it's 7th level, 45,500 (base 91,000) to craft it. This isn't really much better than the ritual, but at least there's no LA. Of course, these are only guidelines, so they're subject to DM approval. I had a lot of fun with that as a level 20 Warmage/Archmage with Mastery of Elements once. Especially when we were fighting a whole tribe of frost giants. :smallamused:

Mystify
2012-03-05, 10:57 PM
complete arcane has feat called sculpt spell that allow you to change the area type.

sculpt spell can be quite effective if used well. And actually becomes extremely effective when combined with the archmage mastery of shaping. Turn your spell into a large number of 5ft cubes and place them where you want.

Zaq
2012-03-06, 02:16 AM
A casting of Mantle of the Fiery Spirit might be out of reach, but what about a scroll of it? Might that be an option? Even if it's not on your class list, a single cross-class "I'm trained, really!" rank in UMD and a potion of Guidance of the Avatar should make casting from such a scroll a possibility.

Alternatively, if you're willing to stare into that particular abyss, Candle of Invocation, Gate in something with Wish, and have them Wish-dupe MotFS. No one's ever going to say that CoI for something with Wish isn't cheesy as all get-out, but if it's an anything-goes kind of game, it's an option.

tyckspoon
2012-03-06, 02:29 AM
Pretty often; part of the character is running into groups of enemies and blowing them all up. I suppose just playing a lesser tiefling and keeping spells out of my square would work, as long as I also have a grappling defense, but Mastery of Shaping is 14th level at the least. Anyone know any better ways?

Would it work if you just.. not use spells that can hit yourself? There's more than Fireball variants to work with, after all.. grab your Spell Compendium and look up Firebrand, Fireburst, Greater Fireburst, and Body of the Sun. If that's not enough and you *really* feel the need to drop point-blank Fireballs on yourself, Resist Energy and Protection From Energy are Core spells. They have good durations, are fairly low level so they can be Extended easily (or just cast two-three times once you have sufficient slots), and provide good protection- it's not immunity, but if you have them and your enemies don't your enemies will certainly go down before you do.

Aeryr
2012-03-06, 03:08 AM
There is a stance in the tob that grants fire resistance based on your tumble ranks, eventually you get fire inmunity.

For runing around people doing damage. Body blaze (sandstorm) + Body of the sun (spellcompendium) are my favorites. You can add a haste and a freedom of movement to the combo an just dance arround people till they drop.