PDA

View Full Version : Test Based Prerequisties and Shadow Sun Ninja

Silva Stormrage
2012-03-05, 09:31 PM
First off my players stay out :smalltongue:

Second of all I am running a campaign set in a home-brewed world and am using the Test Based Prerequistes for prestige classes as shown in Unearthed Arcane (Link Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/testBasedPrerequisites.htm)). I asked my players to give me a general idea of what prestige classes they were heading towards and I promised I would work it into the campaign if it made some sense.

I have a general idea for pretty much all the prestige classes except for one player who wants to enter the Shadow Sun Ninja class from ToB. The only thing I could think of is a 1v1 entry duel, which to be frank is a bit boring. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

(Also this campaign is semi pbp and semi live so it can be a solo encounter without making the other players just sit in a corner watching)

Also if you don't have any ideas for the Shadow Sun Ninja test has anyone had good or bad experiences with this variant? I personally think it is more fun and the few tests I have already done seem to work pretty well.

Thanks for your help.

Mystify
2012-03-05, 09:58 PM
Well, if you do want to do a 1 on 1 duel, you can do it one on one with the player so as to not eat up the rest of the parties time. Then make sure its more interesting than standing in front of each other rolling attack rolls.

Have it so the goal is not to actually defeat the opponent, but instead impress him and convince him you are worth training. Hence, his attacks are not meant to beat the player, but test him.

The challenge is 1-on-1, unarmed(representing the improved unarmed strike pre-req)
Try to get the player to use his shadow hand and setting sun manuevers. I haven't done enough with swordsages to know how those disicplines play out, but run the combat to highlight them.

Urpriest
2012-03-05, 10:09 PM
A dream sequence meditation-thingy might be interesting, confronting internal darkness and incorporating it into the soul as in the class flavor text.

Silva Stormrage
2012-03-06, 12:56 AM
A dream sequence meditation-thingy might be interesting, confronting internal darkness and incorporating it into the soul as in the class flavor text.

Hmmm, I like the dream sequence meditation. That seems interesting. Plus I can get away with a whole bunch of crazy physics in a dream/soul searching exercise :smalltongue:

Mystify
2012-03-06, 01:18 AM
I've used dreams in campaigns before, to great effect and enthusiastic player response.

Aeryr
2012-03-06, 02:27 AM
You can hunt one of the evil shadow sun ninjas that become a vampire, using it's tenth level ability. Not necessarily killing it (depending on the level it's gonna be hard) but traking it. If not you can use a powered down one.

The-Mage-King
2012-03-06, 02:40 AM
I have exactly the thing for you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuSx2wdtVZU).

Well, or similar. Probably run as a one-on-one minisession.