PDA

View Full Version : Creating a bard with an undead flavor

Mission0
2012-03-05, 09:39 PM
What I am trying to do is create a level 20 bard as a boss for my undead campaign.

So far the idea is thus:

Bard 6/DirgeSinger 5

which gets me to level 11 leaving me with another 9 levels to spend somewhere.
I'm split between multi-classing and finding other prestige classes to dip into. I've thought of going for a class that has the rebuke undead ability but I never saw it as staying within the flavor of the character.

The design concept is an undead master who uses music to create and control undead. The DirgeSinger can create a single undead which I am fine with but being able to create more would be awesome. Controlling them is also a problem.

Obviously the "requiem"(Libris Mortis) feat is a must to affect undead.

After this I'm not to sure where to go with the character, suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Fluffy_1.0
2012-03-05, 10:33 PM
I think it would be thematically appropriate if its inspiration was in the form of dancing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iRWOnoWFh4). Throw in some snowflake war dance to get mechanical benefits from it and it should be fun.

As for creating multiple undead... there's always the option of an evil item that allows for that (maybe evil dancing shoes?). Make it an item that must be destroyed or else evil befalls the land if the part is good. Or hand wave it away, it's an NPC after all and you're using the undead as part of the challenge of the fight to enhance the player's experience.

Flickerdart
2012-03-05, 10:36 PM
Sublime Chord on top of that would give you the punch you need. There are plenty of shiny Sorcerer spells that make controlling undead good happy times. Use Talfirian Song to spoof the spell requirements and then go to town. Then you can just MS Persist some of the nicer Bard spells that buff lots of people.

Mission0
2012-03-05, 10:38 PM
Heheh, if only the feat would pass onto the undead. The idea is hilarious though and I'll have to look into it... perhaps the character will be playing a nice dance song for some undead dancers when the adventurers first walk in.

edit (response to Flickerdart):
The one problem I always had with spells to control undead is that is seemed that clerics had a better option thanks to rebuke/command undead abilities.

The best I am seeing at the moment is Control Undead which is a 7th level spell. The greatest advantage I see it having over the cleric ability is that controlling the undead is not a standard action for the spell and the commands could likely be incorporated into the performance somehow.

Mari01
2012-03-05, 10:43 PM
I was thinking of making an undead chorus using an idea like this. He would be backed up by a symphony of crypt chanters.

Mission0
2012-03-05, 10:50 PM
I was thinking of making an undead chorus using an idea like this. He would be backed up by a symphony of crypt chanters.

Crypt chanters, hmm. I like this concept, they will have to be included in the dungeon somewhere with him.

Flickerdart
2012-03-05, 10:59 PM
The one problem I always had with spells to control undead is that is seemed that clerics had a better option thanks to rebuke/command undead abilities.

The best I am seeing at the moment is Control Undead which is a 7th level spell. The greatest advantage I see it having over the cleric ability is that controlling the undead is not a standard action for the spell and the commands could likely be incorporated into the performance somehow.
It's true that Clerics are better at raising the dead, but it's not because of Rebuke. Rebuke sucks for rebuking.

Mission0
2012-03-05, 11:03 PM

It's true that Clerics are better at raising the dead, but it's not because of Rebuke. Rebuke sucks for rebuking.

I was talking about commanding undead, not raising them. Raising undead is not much of a problem in this campaign.

Snowbluff
2012-03-05, 11:05 PM
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3718.0

Here ya go! Great Bard with undead thread :D

Coidzor
2012-03-05, 11:16 PM
Bard > Lyric Thaumaturge or Sublime Chord with the spell Animate Dread Warrior from Unapproachable East, especially with a way to negate the XP cost is pretty boss.

This might be of interest as well. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3718.0)

Rossebay
2012-03-05, 11:20 PM
Where could I find Dirgesinger? It sounds very interesting, but I can't figure it out.

Mission0
2012-03-05, 11:21 PM
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3718.0

Here ya go! Great Bard with undead thread :D

Interesting, while I'm not wanting to completely minmax this character this does give me some ideas. I hadn't even thought of the deathbound and undeath domains or the divine bard variant. This requires further study.

Bard > Lyric Thaumaturge or Sublime Chord with the spell Animate Dread Warrior from Unapproachable East, especially with a way to negate the XP cost is pretty boss.

This might be of interest as well. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3718.0)

I've never cracked open the Unapproachable East books, I'll have to take a look.

edit:

Where could I find Dirgesinger? It sounds very interesting, but I can't figure it out.

Libris Mortis pg 43

edit: edit:

I was talking about commanding undead, not raising them. Raising undead is not much of a problem in this campaign.

You know after re-reading this I got what you are trying to say. Clerics are good for raising, but bad for commanding... anyways

The current idea I have floating around in my head for this character would be something along the lines of:

Bard 7/DirgeSinger 5/Sublime Chord 8

Bard to get the skills needed for DirgeSinger and 3rd level spells for Sublime Chord. DirgeSinger allows me to summon undead with music, although only one. Then sublime chord gives me access to 8th level arcane spells.

For feats I'll probably take
Requiem(Libris Mortis): So that I can affect undead with my bardic music.
NonVerbal Spell(Planor Handbook): So that the music can count as the verbal component of spells.

I will also grab the "Lingering Chorus" spell from Complete Mage so that I can concentrate on spellcasting and other songs even after summoning the undead.

Sublime Chord should give me access to some higher level spells for controlling undead.

umm, what do you all think? I feel like I'm missing something obvious that could make the entire process of controlling undead through music easier.