PDA

View Full Version : Assassin without the Assassin PrC?

gomipile
2012-03-05, 10:57 PM
How would you build a character with the feel of the Assassin's fluff, but with much more powerful crunch. In essence, what I'm looking for is an assassin who could do his job reasonably well in a mid-to-high-op campaign setting without getting squished like a bug for being what he is.

Flickerdart
2012-03-05, 11:03 PM
The Assassin's fluff is "murder people before they see you coming" so a scry-and-die focused build is probably the strongest option here. Or do you mean to include the knifing and sneak attacking too? In that case, check out Unseen Seer.

Silva Stormrage
2012-03-05, 11:13 PM
Shadow Hand focused Sword Sage also works. I believe there was a build called "Blinky" that was a really good hider based gnome. It used warlock to create and see through magical darkness. Can't seem to find it though.

erikun
2012-03-05, 11:14 PM
Factotum immediately comes to mind; Iaijutsu Focus makes a perfect "kill them when they aren't looking" move, and you have plenty of skill points for Hide, Bluff, Disguise, Sense Motive, Craft: poisons, and similar skills. (I'm fairly sure that most assassins killed with poisons or simply blowing up the room, rather than literally stabbing people in the back.)

gomipile
2012-03-05, 11:41 PM
The Assassin's fluff is "murder people before they see you coming" so a scry-and-die focused build is probably the strongest option here. Or do you mean to include the knifing and sneak attacking too? In that case, check out Unseen Seer.

Both, really. I want to see a bunch of ideas, Zinc Saucier style.

Hirax
2012-03-06, 12:05 AM
Wizard5/incantatrix9/mindbender1/incantatrix+1/divine oracle3/olin gisir1

Take arcane disciple (luck) and (destiny) for a set of good persist candidates. 3 levels of divine oracle gives you the ability to roll twice on most divination spells. You can get an int mod of +15 at 20th level (venerable grey elf 23, +5 leveling, +8 enhancement from persist necro empowerment, +4 inherent), so between guaranteed success on contact other plane, and the ability to roll twice on it and augury, omen of peril, divination, etc. Grab an amulet of second chance for the ability to cast vision without exp 1/day, because the amulet explicitly says you retain knowledge from the round you erased. Are there any useful divination abilities I'm missing? You'd need to gestalt as a seer or erudite to get access to metafaculty and hypercognition to get any better at the scry part of scry and die, I think. As for the die part, well, you're a 20th level caster. :smallbiggrin:

Averis Vol
2012-03-06, 12:15 AM
my best assassin was a infiltrator 7/beguiler 3/ unseen seer 5. good spell progression, great stealth and a healthy load of sneak attack die and pretty good BaB, unfortunately i never got to see him to then end as he died going to to toe with a pair of hezrou while the cleric at 1 hp tried to get the rest of the unconscious party to safety.

EDIT: my apologies, its been about 7 months since i played this character, it was beguiler not duskblade.

gomipile
2012-03-06, 12:17 AM
Fair enough. I'd like the build to be something an assasin's Guild would actually train someone to be. That is, I'd like the character to be be useful to the guild as an assassin starting at low levels.

Ideally, the build should hit its stride at level 5 or so, but level 6-9 is more realistic, I suppose.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-06, 12:32 AM
Just straight Factotum, with focus on Iaijustu, poison use, and quickblades.

Hirax
2012-03-06, 12:33 AM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234815) might have some things of interest.

Averis Vol
2012-03-06, 12:50 AM
i dont see why it wouldn't work, i was acting as a spy at first level with disguise and gather information, isn't thta the first half of an assassination? i believe i found out about the mayor selling "missing citizens" to out of country slave traders and reported it to the church of heironeus, i think they hung him that week.

erikun
2012-03-06, 12:59 AM
i dont see why it wouldn't work, i was acting as a spy at first level with disguise and gather information, isn't thta the first half of an assassination?
Espionage and assassination are two different things. Yes, a good assassin would want to be able to access and reconnaissance an area, but someone who can only do that isn't much of an assassin.

Bloodgruve
2012-03-06, 01:19 AM
Factotum immediately comes to mind; Iaijutsu Focus makes a perfect "kill them when they aren't looking" move, and you have plenty of skill points for Hide, Bluff, Disguise, Sense Motive, Craft: poisons, and similar skills. (I'm fairly sure that most assassins killed with poisons or simply blowing up the room, rather than literally stabbing people in the back.)

With Facotum9/Swordsage1 I can do ~240 dmg on the opening round with touch attacks. You can 'assassinate' a 21 HD creature with that. IF Factotums are very fun.

GL
Blood~

Averis Vol
2012-03-06, 01:21 AM
very true, but by level 5 i had 2d6 sneak, maxed ranks in hide move silently disguise and bluff to name a few skills, plus my bastard sword and several other hidden weapons. i had all the tricks of an assassin of that level would need, am i missing something?

Particle_Man
2012-03-06, 01:33 AM
I was going to say Ranger with favoured enemy: human but I think core only is going to get outclassed in this thread. :smallwink: