PDA

View Full Version : 3.5, The Fallen Spire IC

NullShadow
2012-03-05, 11:23 PM
The vast world of Mundus has seen through the rise and fall of numerous civilizations all ending catastrophically, for reasons unknown to all but the gods. Ruins abound in all directions with precious little evidence as to what befell the poor souls. Among all this destruction, a lone spire juts ominously from the center of the land. Made of a sleek golden material, it alone has escaped the ravages of time. Strangely It can be seen from all corners of the world. Rumors tell that those who venture to its crest can obtain power untold, while those who venture into the bowels of the spire cam obtain something entirely different.

Sadly No one has yet to emerge whole of body and mind. These are the rumors that have reached your ears While sitting in the Bar of The Sylvan Cylix, in the town of Arbor's Hollow. This is Where your story begins.Your motivations are your own, what are they, wealth? Power? Fame?

Jodah
2012-03-06, 02:14 AM
I enter the Sylvan Cylix and take a seat at the end of the bar with my back facing the wall. I wait until the bartender isn't busy and catch his/her attention. I order some wine and ask about the day, simple small talk. I slowly nurse my wine as I listen to some of the surrounding conversation and engage the other patrons in conversation. As I mill around, I keep an ear out for anyone who seems interesting to talk to.

Skill checks?

Gather information: [roll0]

Listen: [roll1]

NullShadow
2012-03-06, 02:42 AM
Iskas'harath
You hear a person griping about the price of grain and how its on the rise, but other than that the tavern as been pretty quiet.

After a time, the barkeep notices you waving him down and approaches you casually, looks you in the eye,"What can I get for ya?" He asks

the geekish one
2012-03-06, 06:43 AM
As I come to the outskirts of the village I pause, unsure of what to do. After a short time I decide to head for the largest building I could see, and meet the locals. The building happened to be the Sylvan Cylix. I pause just inside the door to allow my eyes to adjust and take stock of my surroundings.

Jodah
2012-03-06, 11:59 AM
I finish my transaction with the bartender, ordering wine. When he returns I thank him for the drink. The whole time I am noticeably distracted watching the 7 foot, quadrupedal, horned man that just entered the building, for after the minor grain disputes I heard earlier, he is by far the most interesting person here.

Admiral
2012-03-06, 02:42 PM
"Missionary work," thinks Ford Ironheart, a lone dwarf sitting in the corner, nursing his sixth ale of the day. "Why doesn't the church just call it what it is: treasure hunting." The dwarf is clad in majestic full plate, with his enormous warhammer resting on the table beside him. He scans the barroom wearily.

All Ford had ever wanted was to serve as a guardian of the Cathedral of Thor, just as every Ironheart had served for centuries. But the Holy Council had other plans for him. The Church of Thor has seen its donations dry up in the last few years, leaving it desperate for funds. When one of the head priests heard miraculous stories of the Fallen Spire, and the powers and treasures held within, he saw in it the possible salvation of the church. Ford was selected to carry out this dangerous but potentially lucrative mission, not so much because he was the toughest dwarf among the clergy, but because he was one of the least politically connected.

Ford was not an adventurer at heart, but you would never hear him complain about his mission. An Ironheart's duty and privilege is to bear the load that others will not, and to bear it silently.

Ford has been sitting at the Sylvan Cylix all day, obstensibly to search for fellow adventurers to join on his mission to the Fallen Spire. But while he is a dwarf of nearly incomparable fortitude and courage, there is one challenge he has never been able to face without trepidation: introductions. He has thus been sitting by himself, ordering ale after ale and wondering whether he'll ever find any adventurer worth joining.

I too take notice of the new arrival, but not enough notice to approach him. I sit back and weigh the option of ordering another ale.

blade artist
2012-03-06, 03:31 PM
Reilenn steps in to see what the place really looks like, the dark room is still clamorous as the old man remembered it, but there are a few interesting mugs here. He then heads over to a shady looking group to see if there is anything going on.
gather information check
[roll0]

the geekish one
2012-03-06, 04:14 PM
Bewildered by the noise in the room, I step back outside.

white rider
2012-03-06, 04:20 PM
Daeran ambles into the room, his gun and shield stowed in his pack and his armor disguised as part of his robe. He carefully notes the tall creature, but slides past it into the bar, and sits down in a quiet corner to listen
gather info check: [roll0]

the geekish one
2012-03-06, 04:27 PM
As Daeran brushes past, Kel turns back and attempts to ask him what plane he had landed on in Celestial. Kel's throat tightened midway through and his normally deep voice cracks. Coughing, he attempts again.
"Where have I wandered to, traveller?"

Azoth
2012-03-06, 04:44 PM
Tyr, takes a few shallow breaths as he enters the town. He never could get used to civilization for long. It just didn't follow the natural way of things and it bothered him, still he had just finished resupplying himself in another nearby town and needed to find something to do for entertainment before going back to the woods. His gray eyes settled on the Tavern.

As he was nearing it to step in, he noticed a confused looking man step out(kel). A chuckle escapes his lips, "Best be careful man, with them elves no telling 'til ya lift the robes..."

white rider
2012-03-06, 04:45 PM
Turning to the massive beast, Daeran responds, "We are in the town of Arbor's Hollow."
Thinking quickly, he adds "On the material plate. You look like you have a story to tell. Would you like a drink?"

the geekish one
2012-03-06, 05:06 PM
Realizing that the man spoke Common Kel winced. He cleared his throat.
"Many years, since I have spoken your language.
He paused, then nodded.
"Drink, I know. Maybe... Outside?"

white rider
2012-03-06, 05:15 PM
"You are not comfortable in here? Very well, outside it is. Water?" Daeran reaches back and pulls a waterskin out of his pack.

Azoth
2012-03-06, 05:23 PM
Seeing the man be joined by another and his joke going unnoticed or ignored, Tyr presses on into the tavern. After a quick look around, he makes his way over to the bar and unceremoniously dropps onto a stool. He lets his fingers drum heavily on the bar, his jagged fingernails lightly scratching the wood with each tap.

blade artist
2012-03-06, 05:29 PM
Seeing that talking to the "inocent" men was not going to well, Reilenn walks over to the bar to cool his nerves in some beverage. While waiting for the bartender, he starts quietly asking himself what to do next.

the geekish one
2012-03-06, 05:30 PM
Kel looks confused, but his eyes brighten when he hears the word water. He takes the proffered water skin and drinks gratefully.
"Thank you," he says, licking his lips. He pauses once more searching for a word. "Woo are you?"
He looks to Daeran, wondering if he had found the right one.

Jodah
2012-03-06, 06:52 PM
Finishing the drink more quickly that I usually would, I flag down the stony man as he comes in. You don't look like you're from around here. How about you tell me a tale or two about your travels, and I buy you your drink. I'd especially like to hear about the gold tower over yonder, If you know anything that is. I've heard rumors it causes madness, but I really don't know myself.

blade artist
2012-03-06, 07:03 PM
[Reilenn hears just over his shoulder someone mention the adventurers that come back from the tower.
"Yea, they go mad. I just checked out one of those men before coming here. This place was the only clear thought I could get from him."

white rider
2012-03-06, 07:12 PM
"I am sorry, but I do not understand you. Do you speak Elvin? Dwarvish? Celestial?"

Azoth
2012-03-06, 07:19 PM
(Jus as an aside: i do not actually look like I am made of stone due to the changeling ability to morph as if through the disguise self spell.)

Tyr looked over to the person that spoke to him and shrugged.
"Not much to say. Made a few trips out that way, but never got close enough to the tower to see what all the fuss was about. Supplies always ran low on me, and no sense going to the gate of hell if you don't have any water. You making a trip?"

the geekish one
2012-03-06, 07:23 PM
Kel sighs with relief.
"Celestial is my native language. I hail from the plane of Ysgard. Where might you be from stranger?"

white rider
2012-03-06, 07:26 PM
"I am from a small monastery. We worshiped Heironious, that is why I speak this language."

Necroticplague
2012-03-06, 07:33 PM
Walking toward the bar, Skeef notices the large, tauric creature and the man appearing to hand him a waterskin. Seeing this as one of the oddest things he's seen in a while (the last time being when he found the odd rod he now twirls as he walks), he decides it might not be a half-bad idea to chat them up. "Hello their, and if you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you? I'll tell you my type if you tell me yours." He adds some emphasis to this last point by scraping his claws against his pseudo-beak.

the geekish one
2012-03-06, 07:44 PM
Kel turns towards the newcomer, then turns back to Daeran.
Would you mind translating for me? I am Kel, a bauriar of the plane of Ysgard." A look of sadness briefly crosses Kel's face, then returns to it's normal passivity.

white rider
2012-03-06, 07:45 PM
Daeran raises an eyebrow at the new...whatever that approaches him. "Greetings. I am... a human. :smalltongue:, and this fellow says he is a Bauriar, of Ysgard. I am Daeran, and this fellow is...

the geekish one
2012-03-06, 07:57 PM
Kel takes a moment to decipher Daeran's meaning, then turns towards the bird, and says matter of factly,"Kel."

Necroticplague
2012-03-06, 07:58 PM
"Skeef Sekto, at your service. Can't say I've ever heard of either of those things/places, put since he's kept his promise, I'll keep mine. I'm a lycanthrope, some kind of dragon-cat, heard it called a Phynxkin before."

white rider
2012-03-06, 08:18 PM
"Ysgard is a heavenly plane, similar to Celestia. Not sure on the race, though."

Jodah
2012-03-06, 08:38 PM
Isk turns to allow Reilenn into the conversation as well.

I don't really want to without learning a fair bit more about it first. The idea that it causes a madness intrigues me, but obviously I'd rather not go mad myself. he adds with a chuckle. Hence the education I am after. I was led to believe I may learn something in this town, but so far no dice.

blade artist
2012-03-06, 08:53 PM
"Everyone's out there to find out something. I was hired to look into this tower and I'm still a bit squeemish 'bout going in. So, I started asking around about it, found a guy who ripped his tongue out before he got back to our good, old civilization." *chuckles* "Obviously he didn't talk much."

Jodah
2012-03-06, 09:21 PM
With a slight smirk, though also a quick look of sympathy No, I suppose he wouldn't. Any chance I might go with you on your next foray or investigation. I would be interested to see if behavior like that was the norm. He pauses for a moment Oh, how silly of me. My name is Iskas'harath, feel free to call me Isk, what are your names? He holds out his hand ready to shake.

Azoth
2012-03-06, 09:29 PM
Tyr smirked as he heard the tale of the poor bastard. Weak men suffer weak deaths was his thought on it.

"Don't tell me your gonna piss yourself over a ghost story. Guy probably lost his pair first beast he saw and tried to die than live it down. Just resupplied myself and about to head out of town in the next few days. Wouldn"t mind seeing what beasts are that way if there is something in it for me."

He held out a rough calloused hand of his own. "Names Tyr."

NullShadow
2012-03-06, 09:59 PM
As you begin to familiarize yourselves with each other, a hush draws upon the crowd. You assume that the strange company you are keeping is the case. What was once a loud riotous roar has quelled into a dull murmer. Hushed is the tone.

Make listen checks please

blade artist
2012-03-06, 10:02 PM
Nice to meet you both, the name's Reilenn. And trust me, that guy's head got seriously mess up. Hope someone else took down whatever made him snap.
Reilenn said this with a bit of worry on his face.
Otherwise, we might end up like him. Still, I woukdn't mind some company. At least I'll have someone to be insane with. Huh?

Jodah
2012-03-06, 10:04 PM
Listen: [roll0]

blade artist
2012-03-06, 10:09 PM
@ the bartender
Was' going on?

Azoth
2012-03-06, 10:12 PM
[roll0]

Listen check

blade artist
2012-03-06, 10:18 PM
listen check whilest he waits for the bartender
[roll0]

Admiral
2012-03-06, 10:22 PM
Ford has been listening to the conversation at the bar since the moment he heard the fallen spire mentioned.

Listen check: [roll0]

NullShadow
2012-03-06, 10:29 PM
Reilenn
The bartender shushes you, "The storyteller is about to begin!" he says earnestly. "If you are here for what i think you are, you'd best sit and listen.

Azoth
2012-03-07, 12:11 AM
"Rei...I ain't gonna go no more crazy than I already am. Though if ya like when'in it happens I'll end it ya nice and painlesslike." Tyr let his amused smirk fade as he heard the silence and then the bartender speak.

His voice boomed, "If ya got the time ta tell folks to shuddap then ya got time to get me an ale...on my buddy Isk's tab, an ya can keep 'em commin'."

Jodah
2012-03-07, 12:53 AM
Isk turns to the barkeep and smiles, "I've got the strangest feeling I'm going to be buying a fair bit, can you please just take it our of this," he says as he slides a platinum piece over, "In fact, I'll take another round myself."

Azoth
2012-03-07, 03:26 AM
Tyr chuckled to at Isk. "You ain't got any idea how much you gonna buy bu..." His voice trailed off as he saw the platinum pice slide across the bar. His head turned back to the barkeep, "Make that dwarven ale on the big spender here. An I'll be drinkin' it 'til I am as tall as one."

the geekish one
2012-03-07, 03:29 AM
Kel thinks he hears something, and pauses to take a
listen.
[roll0]

Necroticplague
2012-03-07, 06:08 AM
Listen Check:[roll]1d20+1

white rider
2012-03-07, 05:57 PM
From outside, Daeran listens
[roll0]

Necroticplague
2012-03-07, 06:04 PM
Rerroling because I failed first time[roll0]

Debatra
2012-03-07, 10:16 PM
Eli's Listen: [roll0]

Hazuki
2012-03-08, 09:10 AM
Dust puffs around the doorway; dirt billowed up from hard footfalls against the ground outside of the well-travelled path to the tavern. A creak sounds througout the tavern, the door opening into the hold of drinks and tales with a few beams of sunlight that dance across the the floor. The lights, though dancing, are quickly enveloped by the shadow of a figure in the doorway; the silhouette of a confident stance.

A lean woman strides into the tavern, a dusky blue hand snatching behind her from fingerless leather gloves, closing the door with a thunk. The room smelled just as every other tavern on land did; drink, farmers, and cheap food. But a distinct scent passed into the air of each patron she strode past; that of the sea, rich and wonderful, a deep blue filled with more wonders than could be seen between the forests and the mountains of land.

She finds herself a seat near the bar, propping up her finely-tanned boots on the empty seat beside her, letting the richly tailored tricorne adorning her head slip back just a little so her face is visible to the barkeep. The shadows left little indentations on her face; features more indistinct than most of the patrons, but her silvery hair and eyes clearly visible to anyone who looked to the stranger.

"A glass of wine, barkeep?" Mekh asks of the man, placing a hand on the counter to recieve the beverage while she waited for the story to begin.