PDA

View Full Version : What powers does the Crimson Mantle have? (minor SOD spoilers)

rgrekejin
2012-03-05, 11:48 PM
So, I'm sure that this has probably been covered somewhere before, given the thoroughness of these forums, but I can't find a thread referencing it directly. My question is: what powers, exactly, do we know for sure that the Crimson Mantle grants? From SOD and the recent comics, we know that it gives the bearer knowledge of the gate ritual. Okay. We also know that it slows Redcloak's aging process, and may give him access to improved cleric powers (as per SOD, when he uses a smite ability on a paladin that he assumedly could not use previously).

We also know, however, that he does not age rapidly when the mantle is removed, and can still cast relatively powerful spells without it (as per comic #149, when he is stripped to the waist for the hobgoblin Ritual of Manhood). What this tells us exactly is not clear, as the effects of the Mantle may not immediately end when removed.

With that said, what else do we know about the Crimson Mantle itself, and how it works?

FujinAkari
2012-03-05, 11:51 PM
You covered all its known powers... and there is no reason to think its powers wouldn't end if removed. Even without the mantle, RC is still a near-epic Cleric

rgrekejin
2012-03-06, 12:03 AM
You covered all its known powers... and there is no reason to think its powers wouldn't end if removed. Even without the mantle, RC is still a near-epic Cleric

It's true, but he'd be an OLD near-epic cleric. And that, at least, we know doesn't happen.

Whiffet
2012-03-06, 12:38 AM
It protects from diseases, too, as we learned when he didn't suffer from Lirian's Guardian Virus.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-03-06, 12:58 AM
I thought it prevented aging period? Thats why he doesn't instantly die if he removes the mantle as his body is still physically 12 (or however old he was whne he first took on the mantle, I don't know much about Goblin lifespans).

factotum
2012-03-06, 02:33 AM
Mesi is probably right--the old trope of somebody having some sort of anti-aging McGuffin and then growing old and dying as soon as it's removed doesn't have to apply in all cases; it would make a lot more sense, in fact, if the Mantle simply stops (or massively slows) Redcloak's aging process. If he lost it permanently he would be able to live out what's left of a normal goblin's lifespan.

MartectX
2012-03-06, 05:30 AM
If he lost it permanently he would be able to live out what's left of a normal goblin's lifespan.
...implying one can lose the mantle by means other than death (I'm refering to its former bearer, of course)! :smalleek:

JSSheridan
2012-03-06, 07:41 AM
...implying one can lose the mantle by means other than death (I'm refering to its former bearer, of course)! :smalleek:
Well it is an artifact, and could be disjuncted.

factotum
2012-03-06, 07:57 AM

As already pointed out, we've seen Redcloak in-comic not wearing the cloak, so it's certainly possible for him to remove it--it's not a cursed item.

Palthera
2012-03-06, 08:12 AM
As already pointed out, we've seen Redcloak in-comic not wearing the cloak, so it's certainly possible for him to remove it--it's not a cursed item.

Even if he's not wearing it, I always assume he is still the "Bearer" of the Crimson Mantle. Unless it's passed on, one way or another, it continues to belong to the Bearer, even if they put something else on from their wardrobe.

DreadPirateDB
2012-03-06, 09:21 AM
Even if he's not wearing it, I always assume he is still the "Bearer" of the Crimson Mantle. Unless it's passed on, one way or another, it continues to belong to the Bearer, even if they put something else on from their wardrobe.

Sometimes he's the Folder and Putter Away of the Crimson Mantle.

phantomreader42
2012-03-06, 11:31 AM
We also know that it slows Redcloak's aging process, and may give him access to improved cleric powers (as per SOD, when he uses a smite ability on a paladin that he assumedly could not use previously).

I think the smite ability is the granted power of the Destruction domain. And IIRC, he's used several spells from that domain list.

rgrekejin
2012-03-06, 01:33 PM
I think the smite ability is the granted power of the Destruction domain. And IIRC, he's used several spells from that domain list.

That's true, Destruction does seem to be one of his domains. I'm just wondering why Right-Eye was so confused when Redcloak used smite on the paladin. Presumably, he wouldn't have been so surprised if it was an ability Redcloak already had, and had been able to use before. Then again, maybe Right-Eye just never saw any of Redcloak's Cleric training firsthand.

Toofey
2012-03-06, 01:45 PM
Well it is an artifact, and could be disjuncted.

Is it, could it just be the symbol of service to the Dark One?

(I haven't had a chance to pick up sod yet)

Grey Watcher
2012-03-06, 03:19 PM
Is it, could it just be the symbol of service to the Dark One?

(I haven't had a chance to pick up sod yet)

No, it does, explicitly, have the powers discussed in this thread. (Other cloaks among goblin clergy, like the white one Redcloak is issued as an acolyte, are apparently purely symbolic, though.)

As for the aging thing, I think it's the case that, while the cloak is on, his aging is slowed, but there's no outside counter forcing him to "catch up" when he takes it off. I think he just resumes aging normally, which ends up being a negligible amount of time....

phantomreader42
2012-03-06, 09:57 PM
No, it does, explicitly, have the powers discussed in this thread. (Other cloaks among goblin clergy, like the white one Redcloak is issued as an acolyte, are apparently purely symbolic, though.)

The Crimson Mantle is clearly a unique artifact reserved for the Dark One's High Priest. But it seems sensible for clerics to be issued magical cloaks that could enhance their abilities, if funds are available (which they wouldn't be for low-level acolytes). I think cloaks are usually enchanted for Charisma, save bonuses, or disguise/sneakiness, all of which could appeal to a goblin religion worshiping a dark god with a plot for world domination.

As for the aging thing, I think it's the case that, while the cloak is on, his aging is slowed, but there's no outside counter forcing him to "catch up" when he takes it off. I think he just resumes aging normally, which ends up being a negligible amount of time....

Of course, he'd have to sleep in it, or he'd keep aging at 1/3 speed, which by now would have some noticeable effect.

Grey Watcher
2012-03-06, 10:29 PM

Of course, he'd have to sleep in it, or he'd keep aging at 1/3 speed, which by now would have some noticeable effect.

True. Maybe there's some clause like I've seen on some magic items stating that you need to have it off for at least 24 hours before the effects wear off?

Augmental
2012-03-06, 10:52 PM

Well, why can't he just sleep in it?

factotum
2012-03-07, 02:35 AM

Not really--it's been 30-something years since he got the Mantle, so even if he was aging at 1/3rd speed over that period, he's only aged maybe 12 years. Given where he started, that'd make him roughly equivalent to late 20s-early 30s, and even for a goblin, that's too young to be showing obvious signs of age.