PDA

View Full Version : Idea's for a Difficult Adventure

Freeholder
2012-03-06, 12:51 AM
I am a relativly new DM who has primarily stuck to pre-exisiting adventures for the games I have run. Recently I ran the revised 3.5 version of Tomb of Horrers for my players and my players and I found it to be one the most enjoyable experiences we've ever had. I was wondering if anyone knows about any other premade adventures of a similar or greater difficulty level.

BerronBrightaxe
2012-03-06, 06:41 AM
Well.. there is ofcourse Red Hand of Doom (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171284), which I intend to run pretty soon (lvl 5 - 11ish).

Another one I intend on doing is 'Vault of Larin-Karr' (needs to be upgraded to 3.5). This adventure isn't chronological like the Red Hand, so your party is free to chose where they are going, but everything happens geographically close (same vale) to eachother (lvl 4 - 9).

Private
2012-03-06, 07:37 AM
I recently ran the 3.5 version of Expedition to Castle Ravenloft for my group. Granted, they are not optimizers or power gamers, but I think we lost 7-8 PCs ( I allowed them to bring in new characters as they died off). There are some nasty Save-or-Die traps and some of the creatures are pretty tough. The adventure has multiple plots and lengths, so you can sort of customize the experience.

Canarr
2012-03-06, 04:19 PM
If you can find it, Rappan Athuk from Sword & Sorcery is pretty tough; a huge dungeon (3 books), though not quite on par with World's Largest Dungeon.

Same goes for Kenzerco's Tomb of Kruk-Ma-Kali, though that is very setting-specific - and out of print.

Darrin
2012-03-07, 06:41 PM
I am a relativly new DM who has primarily stuck to pre-exisiting adventures for the games I have run. Recently I ran the revised 3.5 version of Tomb of Horrers for my players and my players and I found it to be one the most enjoyable experiences we've ever had. I was wondering if anyone knows about any other premade adventures of a similar or greater difficulty level.

White Plume Mountain (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051207a). Part of the original S-series, WotC converted it to 3.5, and it's available as a free download.

Phaederkiel
2012-03-07, 07:36 PM
well, white plume mountain is not exactly a difficult adventure.
It is very fun and I liked the last battle a lot, but decently smart players will have no reason to complain about difficulty. It is some levels of toughness below tomb of horrors, if I can say that without having played through the tomb.

but it bears repitition: WPL is a great module.