PDA

View Full Version : Module/Adventure Path, Setting, And/Or System

KnightDisciple
2012-03-06, 01:16 AM
So. This thread's for suggestions.

Specifically, I'm trying to find a way/ways to get my current meatspace gaming group to branch out. For the last couple years, all we've played is Pathfinder (specifically one adventure path; we move kinda slow). Which, you know, is okay.
But I want to branch out from fantasy into science fiction.

Here's where suggestions come in. See, in talking with one of my fellow players, he stated he'd much prefer to play through some sort of module or adventure path, instead of just picking a system and having whoever DMs make something on the fly.

So, what might fit the bill? Especially for stuff intended more for short-term rather than long-term play. Like 2-6 session stuff (knowing us we'd probably double that time).

If there's something that's system-independent, awesome.

If not...well, I don't want us to have to buy a bunch of new rulebooks. I also don't want to learn radically new systems...well, I sorta do, but I don't want to make the "entry level" too high. We've played D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, and M&M to some degree in the group; stuff that's closer rather than farther is good.

So...suggestions?

ChaosOS
2012-03-06, 01:49 AM
Setting I would recommend Eberron. Do Xen'Drik jungles, with lots of Drow, Traps, and Indiana Jones references. Ought to work with pathfinder just find.

KnightDisciple
2012-03-06, 02:10 AM
Setting I would recommend Eberron. Do Xen'Drik jungles, with lots of Drow, Traps, and Indiana Jones references. Ought to work with pathfinder just find.
No, I want out-and-out science fiction.
I like Eberron, I really do, but this is about more than just changing flavor.
I want to play a system that doesn't use the exact same classes. I want to change things up!

And I want to do it with spaceships! :smallcool:

Grinner
2012-03-06, 02:35 AM
If you're looking for a d20 sci-fi, your options are few and often disliked.

Try D20 Future. Most of the rules are freely available (http://www.d20resources.com/).

Edit: Later editions of Gamma World might also work for you. I can't personally vouch for them, though.

KnightDisciple
2012-03-06, 02:41 AM
I'm open to branching out from D20 myself; no matter what it's going to take some convincing on my part.
Alternate game systems that aren't D20 OGL are okay (though I do personally thing M&M, especially 2e, is an excellent system for a lot of things including this).

But again, the bigger thing is if there's some sort of module or short adventure path we can use. Fluff and crunch are good, ready-to-go adventure is better!

Knaight
2012-03-06, 03:14 AM
I'm open to branching out from D20 myself; no matter what it's going to take some convincing on my part.
Alternate game systems that aren't D20 OGL are okay (though I do personally thing M&M, especially 2e, is an excellent system for a lot of things including this).

But again, the bigger thing is if there's some sort of module or short adventure path we can use. Fluff and crunch are good, ready-to-go adventure is better!

I'm reasonably sure that there are Diaspora adventure paths. Diaspora is a relatively hard science fiction setting that uses the FATE system, and marks a gigantic change from D&D. FATE is fairly narrative, and hard science fiction is about as far as one can get from D&D fantasy. However, FATE is also fairly easy to pick up, so that isn't too big of an issue.

With that said, if you are willing to go for a different sort of fantasy that is still a major change, which has a somewhat more similar system there are other options. Qin: The Warring States, for instance, includes two adventure paths, and is a brilliantly designed setting that handles Chinese wuxia.

Grinner
2012-03-06, 03:31 AM

Oooo....I can make so many recommendations then.

First, I need to know a couple of things. You mentioned space ships but are you strictly going for a space opera?

Second, how simple should the system be?

Aidan305
2012-03-06, 06:32 AM
If you want to try a simple new system, Paranoia is an exceptionally dark setting in which the players are survivalists in a high-tech sometime-future world trying to stay alive and gain status in the face of overwhelming danger and bureaucratic insanity.

Well, that's one way to play it anyway.

Pinnacle
2012-03-06, 10:48 AM
If science fiction includes superheroes, I'd recommend "Time of Crisis" or "Time of Vengeance" for 2E MnM (and I think 1E?) or the "Emerald City Knights" adventure path that's mostly out for 3E. Converting them to the other edition shouldn't be too terribly difficult, either, and you can probably find some NPC conversions done for you here (http://atomicthinktank.com/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=30a0d28aa54013d8fa40e50e5953e697).
If it doesn't... yes, MnM is versatile, but I dunno about published adventures outside of superheroes.

R00kie
2012-03-06, 11:25 AM
In my opinion the best Science Fiction adventure path ever written was the Traveller Adventure:

http://www.travellerbibliography.org/gdw-ct/TTA.html

Of course since this was written back in 1983 you may have difficulty getting your hands on a copy.

Another great SciFi Story Path might be found in the Darkness Revealed adventures for White Wolfs Trinity (currently available for not very much from RRGNow).

However if you want something still in print I'm not sure what to suggest. Perhaps something in the current Mongoose Traveller line?

R00kie
2012-03-06, 12:03 PM
Also have a look at Tipple Ace Games Daring Tales series:

Daring Tales of Adventure (1920s Pulp Adventure)
Daring Tales of the Space Lanes (Space Opera)
Daring Tales of the Sprawl (Cyberpunk)

Each one is written with Savage Worlds in mind but could easily be converted to a different system. They're avaialable both as pdf or compendium print versions.

I'm not sure I'd call them Adventure Paths though. Although they are adventures in a common setting with a common cast of characters, the adventures tend to be one-offs. Hence you get a sort of series feeling. You get to know the common characters - but you don't have the overarching story line.

Some of the sories are clear sequels though.

KnightDisciple
2012-03-06, 12:07 PM
Oooo....I can make so many recommendations then.

First, I need to know a couple of things. You mentioned space ships but are you strictly going for a space opera?

Second, how simple should the system be?
I'm not "strictly going" for space opera, but...

Hm. Ok, let me put it like this. Me, personally, I'd like something that, thematically, is generally space-opera-y. Stuff that's a bit more middle-ground, like cyberpunk that's got at least a bit of hope to it, is interesting.
And part of me kind of wants to try Cthulutech just for the craziness it might have.

But that's more thematics. Tech wise, I'm more open (then again, I'd classify Star Wars, nBSG, and the Honorverse as all thematically space opera, but their technology "hardness" on the scale varies).

If science fiction includes superheroes, I'd recommend "Time of Crisis" or "Time of Vengeance" for 2E MnM (and I think 1E?) or the "Emerald City Knights" adventure path that's mostly out for 3E. Converting them to the other edition shouldn't be too terribly difficult, either, and you can probably find some NPC conversions done for you here (http://atomicthinktank.com/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=30a0d28aa54013d8fa40e50e5953e697).
If it doesn't... yes, MnM is versatile, but I dunno about published adventures outside of superheroes.Hm. Not familiar with the Time of ones. Are they shorter or longer adventures? Can you give me a quick idea of what they cover?
Is "Emerald City Knights" specifically DC-based, or more generic?

I'm reasonably sure that there are Diaspora adventure paths. Diaspora is a relatively hard science fiction setting that uses the FATE system, and marks a gigantic change from D&D. FATE is fairly narrative, and hard science fiction is about as far as one can get from D&D fantasy. However, FATE is also fairly easy to pick up, so that isn't too big of an issue.Hm. Interesting. I'll keep it in mind.

With that said, if you are willing to go for a different sort of fantasy that is still a major change, which has a somewhat more similar system there are other options. Qin: The Warring States, for instance, includes two adventure paths, and is a brilliantly designed setting that handles Chinese wuxia.

Again, I'm more leaning toward not just cool settings, but some sort of semi-guided adventure. Again, a bit like a module or adventure path.
If there's an excellent example of such that's made for D20 Modern/Future, that's perfectly fine, I know we've got some copies of that system floating around our group.

I'm appreciating all the input so far though!

Grinner
2012-03-06, 01:23 PM
Well, I'm always partial to Eclipse Phase. It does have space travel, but that tends to be the setting rather than the objective. At any rate, it's free (http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/), so you might as well look it over.

Get the Quickstart Guide as well. It makes learning the rules so much easier and contains an introductory module.

I've never played Paranoia, but it has a good reputation in many circles.

Bagelson
2012-03-06, 02:19 PM
I'm reasonably sure that there are Diaspora adventure paths. Diaspora is a relatively hard science fiction setting that uses the FATE system, and marks a gigantic change from D&D. FATE is fairly narrative, and hard science fiction is about as far as one can get from D&D fantasy. However, FATE is also fairly easy to pick up, so that isn't too big of an issue.
Bulldogs! is another option for FATE in space. I don't have Diaspora to compare, but a lot of people say that Bulldogs! is the most accessible FATE version around.

Mind you, Diaspora is hard sci-fi whereas Bulldogs! can be summed up as Flash Gordon meets FedEx. There are some Bulldogs! scenarios available for free on DrivethruRPG (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?keywords=bulldogs+scenario&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=). I haven't had a chance tu run any of them, but you could look through them and see how you like it.

horngeek
2012-03-06, 02:31 PM
Hm. Not familiar with the Time of ones. Are they shorter or longer adventures? Can you give me a quick idea of what they cover?

Emerald City Knights is a 3e adventure set in the Freedom City universe. So, it's actually not DC-based at all.

Pinnacle
2012-03-06, 05:53 PM
Hm. Not familiar with the Time of ones. Are they shorter or longer adventures? Can you give me a quick idea of what they cover?
I'd say "Time of Vengeance" is long-ish. "Time of Crisis" is like a group of related short adventures. Maybe more of a short adventure path than a long adventure.

"Time of Vengeance" is... really hard to describe without a spoiler, since the PCs are trying to figure out what's going on. It's set in Freedom City by default.
The villain is Mr. Infamy, though as per usual he's working through others.
The BBEG is then a being known as the Death Angel, who is actually Virginia North. A minor superheroine (costumed adventurer type, though way not in Raven's league--PL 5-ish, iirc) from years ago who never got the recognition she felt she deserved and was never as good as she thought she was.
Now a bitter older woman, Mr. Infamy gives her the opportunity for revenge, and recruits several other people to help her.
He gives each of them powers related to the Biblical plagues of Egypt and puts the Death Angel in charge. The plague avatars then set about unleashing the plagues on Freedom City.
A good deal of Freedom City history is involved, so it might take some work to move it to another setting. Most fights are against one or two plague avatars, who are PL 12 each.

Unless superheroes in general fall under the sci-fi category for you, this one probably isn't the best for that.

"Time of Crisis" is also Freedom City universe by default... sorta.
Omega, the setting's universe-destroying villain, was defeated in Freedom City and forced to flee. Since then, he's been thwarted in the equivalent of Freedom City in a few universes. Frustrated, because nothing has ever been able to stop him before, he took some time to examine his methods and came up with a better one.
He planted some very special bombs in a few different versions of Freedom City, and when they went off they'd destroy the entire universe and trigger a collapse of the entire multiverse. Much more efficient. And subtle. And bonus: The Freedom Cities that thwarted him are the first to fall!
The heroes are distracted by a minor issue, and after resolving it reality ceases to exist.
A friendly outside-the-universe NPC pulls the heroes out of time and gives them the opportunity to save the multiverse by sending them into the targeted universes and back in time just a little bit. Enough for them to disable the bombs.
The first universe is called Erde, German for Earth. It's a world where the Nazis won the war. A Nazi scientist was given the bomb and told that it was an ultimate power source, so he's got some Nazi super-soldiers guarding it, convinced that he's just got to figure out how to use this thing. There's a resistance movement that'll help the PCs even if they don't explain what it really is, because hey, they don't want the Nazis to have an ultimate power source or for the multiverse to collapse, so they want it gone whatever it is.

The second universe is Earth-Ape, where an alternate evolution left human-level beings who are a lot more like apes and monkeys than modern humans are in our world. The bystanders are terrified by these bizarre hairless freaks, but the local superhero team is willing to listen (given that humans seem to be more common in the multiverse than evolved apes, at least one of them has probably seen humans before since superheroes dimension-hop on occasion, although it isn't specified). Unfortunately, one of 'em is an awful lot like Dr. Simian, a super-intelligent ape villain from the heroes' own world. The bomb is already in the Primate Patrol's possession as Dr. Simian was trying to figure out what it was, so this one should be easy... in theory.

The third is Anti-Earth, a world where all of Freedom City's heroes are evil--and the same people are winning the fight. The heroes have to fight off their own evil opposites and escape from corrupt police officers before a man who's a villain on their world points them at Tyranny Syndicate. TS are the evil versions of the Freedom League, and the only known living hero on Anti-Earth assures them that those tyrants have recently come across a device exactly like they describe.

Finally, the heroes return to their own world and try to figure out where a giant bomb was hidden without anybody noticing... Given that they've been going back in time and haven't really been at this that long (they've just done it at the same time in three different places from an outside perspective), it's not really surprising that Omega hadn't figured out what was going on. But now he catches up to them, and tries to stop them from disabling the last bomb.

Lots of fights against teams in this one; neither is big on Minions.

As said, it's Freedom City universe, though Emerald City has never had much superhuman activity. That is, before the event known as the "Silver Storm," a huge explosion followed by a bizarre silver cloud. In the aftermath, some of the people exposed gain new powers and a good percentage of those seem to have had their minds affected.
New villains, some people who were already bad but now have the power to back it up and some people who've lost control of themselves, are starting to crop up.
And nobody seems to know what, exactly, just happened.

Knaight
2012-03-06, 05:59 PM
Bulldogs! is another option for FATE in space. I don't have Diaspora to compare, but a lot of people say that Bulldogs! is the most accessible FATE version around.

Mind you, Diaspora is hard sci-fi whereas Bulldogs! can be summed up as Flash Gordon meets FedEx. There are some Bulldogs! scenarios available for free on DrivethruRPG (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?keywords=bulldogs+scenario&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=). I haven't had a chance tu run any of them, but you could look through them and see how you like it.
I have heard very good things about Bulldogs!, but, sadly, haven't had the opportunity to check it out. As such, I second the suggestion, but very tentatively so.

Again, I'm more leaning toward not just cool settings, but some sort of semi-guided adventure. Again, a bit like a module or adventure path.
If there's an excellent example of such that's made for D20 Modern/Future, that's perfectly fine, I know we've got some copies of that system floating around our group.

That's why I listed Qin, actually. It has two of these that come with the main book, and they are fairly solid adventures. You don't even have to buy additional modules.