PDA

View Full Version : O-Chul is 2 for 3: elaborate maze, mighty illusions...

Fish
2012-03-06, 12:16 PM
...will there be riddles?

The interesting thing about O-Chul's confession is that Redcloak doesn't believe it. He thinks O-Chul was lying. (Maybe the sneaky paladin was just telling the truth in the least believable way possible?)

And when Redcloak arrives, there won't be an elaborate maze or mighty illusions, giving him every reason to think O-Chul was lying.

Or was Redcloak lying when he said he thought O-Chul was lying?

rbetieh
2012-03-06, 12:22 PM

The interesting thing about O-Chul's confession is that Redcloak doesn't believe it. He thinks O-Chul was lying. (Maybe the sneaky paladin was just telling the truth in the least believable way possible?)

And when Redcloak arrives, there won't be an elaborate maze or mighty illusions, giving him every reason to think O-Chul was lying.

O-Chul probably had the same starting stats as Roy. He made an educated guess based solely on what he knew as Sojos adjudicator. And it worked out because of Int/Wis. One would assume a Sorc/Ranger mix would have traps and illusions, riddles are more a wizard thing....

M.A.D
2012-03-06, 12:23 PM
O-Chul was only making up some believable things that an illusionist might do to defend his gate. He doesn't actually know it, and RC knew that he didn't know it.

O-Chul probably had the same starting stats as Roy. He made an educated guess based solely on what he knew as Sojos adjudicator. And it worked out because of Int/Wis. One would assume a Sorc/Ranger mix would have traps and illusions, riddles are more a wizard thing....

Didn't Roy have half-decent Charisma score? Charisma was O-Chul's dump stat

aldeayeah
2012-03-06, 12:27 PM

I always thought that:

a) O-Chul made up that confession on the spot.
b) By sheer chance, his confession turned out to be the true thing.

Fish
2012-03-06, 12:36 PM
Maybe O-Chul thought he was passing off a false confession and happened to be right. What's more interesting, as I said, is that he was right ... and Redcloak will waltz in absolutely convinced it's something else.

And, because the Draketooths have seemingly been eliminated, Redcloak won't find any elaborate maze or illusions, reinforcing his belief that O-Chul was lying.

BaronOfHell
2012-03-06, 12:37 PM
Well we did have a labyrinth!:smallbiggrin:
The illusions were kind of obvious though. Would be strange if there were no illusions. So we still lack the riddle right?

and Redcloak will waltz in absolutely convinced it's something else.

But RC is supposed to be smart and a smart man (or woman) knows that a lie isn't exclusive to the truth (being false is).

rbetieh
2012-03-06, 12:52 PM
O-Chul was only making up some believable things that an illusionist might do to defend his gate. He doesn't actually know it, and RC knew that he didn't know it.

Didn't Roy have half-decent Charisma score? Charisma was O-Chul's dump stat

I thought that was Thann

King of Nowhere
2012-03-06, 12:56 PM
but o-chul also said that the code to solve the riddles was encrypted into serini's diary. I doubt he accidentally got rigth that particular.
Of course, since this comic obeys the rules of narrativium, it may turn out that he was absolutely correct after all.

ThePhantasm
2012-03-06, 12:58 PM
Charisma was O-Chul's dump stat

Blasphemy! O-Chul has no dump stat. :smalltongue:

Murray
2012-03-06, 01:28 PM
They haven't found the gate yet, so riddles may still be on the menu.

This all could turn out to be a lesson from the twelve gods to O-Chul about lying. :smallwink:

Absol197
2012-03-07, 02:45 PM
Blasphemy! O-Chul has no dump stat. :smalltongue:

Of course he does. He said it himself, Charisma is his dump stat. Which means it's a measly 24, before any items or level bumps :smallwink:.

Bengui
2012-03-09, 03:55 AM
Might just be me, but it seems obvious that O-C was just making **** on the spot, and that any resemblance to real people or events is purely coincidental.

Roland Itiative
2012-03-09, 06:16 AM

It's not sheer chance. O-Chul's confession forced the world into shaping up like that.

As a paladin, O-Chul is not supposed to lie. Normally, a paladin can just lie anyway and, depending on the consequences of the act, might even lose their power for that. But with O-Chul, things are different. If he says something untrue, it retroactively becomes the truth.

Gandariel
2012-03-09, 06:21 AM
People, i think you've forgotten one little thing.

Girard was an Illusionist.
Why is everyone amazed that there were illusions in there?

Fish
2012-03-09, 11:22 AM
Who's surprised there are illusions? Not I. Redcloak even said he wanted details; he expected illusions too.

It's the fact that O-Chul specifically posited an order of defenses: maze, illusions, riddles. We know the first one is true; we haven't come with certainty to the next bit where there are "mighty illusions, each more cunning than the last."

My money is on riddles.

rbetieh
2012-03-09, 12:16 PM
Who's surprised there are illusions? Not I. Redcloak even said he wanted details; he expected illusions too.

It's the fact that O-Chul specifically posited an order of defenses: maze, illusions, riddles. We know the first one is true; we haven't come with certainty to the next bit where there are "mighty illusions, each more cunning than the last."

My money is on riddles.

My money continues to be that the blood theme of this entire arc necessitates that they find Vampire Girard down there, :xykon: Hilarity will ensue.

Whiffet
2012-03-09, 03:32 PM
I'd probably take this more seriously if there hadn't been people saying, "Whoa, O-Chul was RIGHT! This gate is protected by illusions!" before we knew anything about the Windy Canyon. Sorry. *shrug*

t209
2012-03-09, 03:36 PM
I think he's already satisfied if he found out about (Or at least think) that O Chul was lying.
He wiped out the resistance.

Mordar
2012-03-09, 06:11 PM

My money is on riddles.

I still think the might illusion, more cunning than the last, is the depiction of the sudden death of all the guardians...yes, we have a plausible explanation, even down to the smell and bugs level...but still...

[Someone we're not supposed to mention]'s greatest (illusion) was convincing the world he doesn't exist...

Dark Elf Bard
2012-03-10, 07:51 PM
Why would Girard tell Soon how he was doing it, so he could pass the info on to his facist paladins?

Unless it was a double-bluff...

John Cribati
2012-03-15, 07:21 AM
Do you count "find out the right to ask the corpse so you get a good answer and not a d**kish one" as a riddle?

oppyu
2012-03-15, 07:25 AM
Or 'How is an interplanatary rift between Girard's buttcheeks'?

FafnerMorell
2012-03-15, 11:00 AM
Now we know that O-Chul said "riddles" because saying "cryptic ass jokes" is unbecoming a paladin.

Dracarot
2012-03-15, 11:25 AM
It appears that intentional or not that O=Chul accuratelly guessed the defenses for Girard's gate. Though it seems the Riddle part is more the OOTS current situation and may or may not have been part of the original defenses. In any case O-Chul was right.

As it should be.

SowZ
2012-03-15, 02:24 PM
Or 'How is an interplanatary rift between Girard's buttcheeks'?

It was Roy's poor wording. He shouldn't have specified, "Girard's Rift" since depending on how you interpret that it may not be the interplanetary rift at all. Girard didn't create the rift. And since Roy didn't specify what kind of rift...

At any rate, Roy being overly specific with his questions ALMOST bit him in the end last time around so I guess I don't blame him.

Blisstake
2012-03-15, 02:43 PM
Unless... unless the rift is in the statue's ass :smalltongue: