PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Craft as a class skill

Menteith
2012-03-06, 12:58 PM
I'm interested in using the Combat Trapsmith PrC from Complete Scoundrel, and am trying to find a way to qualify for it using the Beguiler from PHBII. I'd like to run straight Beguiler to Trapsmith in order to gain 2nd level spells (most notably Invisibility), but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a way to gain Craft as a skill. Apprentice from DMGII doesn't work, I can't Martial Study, and I'd really like to make this work, as it's an interesting build for me that isn't going to dominate my otherwise really low-op group. Can anyone help?

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-06, 01:04 PM
The very easiest way is to simply play a human and dip Human Paragon. The first level lets you choose a skill and treat that skill as a class skill for all your classes, forever.

dextercorvia
2012-03-06, 01:30 PM
Wow. I thought Craft was a class skill for every character class. It looks like they forgot that outside of core.

Edit: looking through a few books, it looks like only Beguiler got left out. Can you convince your DM that it should be there?

Menteith
2012-03-06, 01:40 PM
Wow. I thought Craft was a class skill for every character class. It looks like they forgot that outside of core.

Edit: looking through a few books, it looks like only Beguiler got left out. Can you convince your DM that it should be there?

Maybe, but I'd rather see if there's a way to do this RAW legal first.

@NeoSerapi - Human Paragon 1 doesn't advance spellcasting, unfortunately. I could easily dip any number of classes with Craft, and pick up sexier things than +2 Will/Adaptive Learning, if I was willing to drop caster advancement.

Psyren
2012-03-06, 01:51 PM
Dip something that grants it (you'll want to delay your Advanced Learning anyway.) Sadly Mindbender does not; that was going to be my suggestion, but I'm sure there's something just as good.

Menteith
2012-03-06, 02:01 PM
Dip something that grants it (you'll want to delay your Advanced Learning anyway.) Sadly Mindbender does not; that was going to be my suggestion, but I'm sure there's something just as good.

A slight note - I might not be going beyond level 9 with this character, and would like to take 5/5 C. Trapsmith if possible while still having 2nd Level Beguiler spells. If there's a spellcasting advancing PrC I can enter at Beguiler 3, that has Craft, great, but I can't find one. Do you know the name/source of any?

dextercorvia
2012-03-06, 02:11 PM
A slight note - I might not be going beyond level 9 with this character, and would like to take 5/5 C. Trapsmith if possible while still having 2nd Level Beguiler spells. If there's a spellcasting advancing PrC I can enter at Beguiler 3, that has Craft, great, but I can't find one. Do you know the name/source of any?

You can't enter Combat Trapsmith until after level 5. This isn't possible.

Menteith
2012-03-06, 02:16 PM
I'm dumb. Alas, that is a wonderful point. Alright, that frees up a lot of options! Now I just feel silly.

Menteith
2012-03-06, 02:47 PM
Build right now is looking like

Human Paragon-1, Beguiler 1, Human Paragon 2, Beguiler 1, Combat Trapsmith 5. This gives me a sexy amount of feats to play with, gives me 2nd level casting, and gives me the additional +2 Int I'll need to boost Trap DCs. Thanks for the help everyone!

deuxhero
2012-03-06, 07:14 PM
Apprentice: Craftsmen?

Emmerlaus
2012-03-06, 07:27 PM
One feat, was released in Dragon Magazine:

Flexible Mind

Prerequite: Any Chaotic alignement

Benefit: Gain two skills of your choice as Class Skills.

Also gaining a Chaotic Aura of a cleric of your level.

======

I like that feat a lot. :p

Menteith
2012-03-06, 07:40 PM
Apprentice: Craftsmen?

This gives +2 Comp bonus on all craft checks, 10% discount on raw materials, but the associated skills are Appraise and Knowledge (architechture and engineering), not Craft >.>

Flexible Mind is perfect! Much appreciated Emmerlaus.

deuxhero
2012-03-06, 07:43 PM
Sorry about that then. Guess that is WotC for you!