PDA

View Full Version : Weaving Sandbox(ish) Plots

bokodasu
2012-03-06, 02:06 PM
My players: please find a different thread to read.

I'm running a game that's more on the wilderness-sandboxy side, although not entirely freeform. There are a few factions with different goals, and the characters have discovered (and made enemies of) one of these factions. Which is great! Everyone seems to be having fun - except that the players have indicated that they'd be having even MORE fun fighting a slightly different type of enemy, which is actually all statted up and ready to go, and the mortal enemy of the faction they've already discovered.

Problem 1: I can't really figure out a way to introduce the other faction without being all "And then you are attacked by a new enemy!". Instead of figuring out where their enemies are going (which would lead them to the new enemies), they're trying to find out where they're coming from, to destroy them at their source. Which is entirely logical and also what I would do, if I were playing. Their current enemies aren't literate, so having a note saying "Meet us here to fight our enemy!" won't work. And most of the spoils of war that they might have from the other enemy would have been stolen by that enemy in the first place, so won't really lead back to them. (I tried adding a clue of that style, but it was too subtle.)

Problem 2 (which might cancel out Problem 1): If the first faction is really weakened, the second faction will be free to attack the characters' home base. Now, this is a totally legit outcome that I think will lead to entertaining play for all - *IF* I can figure out how to make it clear that that is what just happened, and not that some random bad guys appeared out of thin air to ruin everything for no reason. I also don't want it to look like I'm punishing the characters for going after the first faction, because that's also totally legit and they're doing it for good reasons (in addition to Taking Their Stuff and Selling It For Half Value).

jackattack
2012-03-06, 08:11 PM
Can you arrange for your group to be present when there is a fight between members of Faction 1 and Faction 2? That gives them a few ways to learn more about Faction 2 -- interrogate survivors/prisoners after the fight, follow members of Faction 2 after the fight, or even team up with Faction 2 against Faction 1 until Faction 2 betrays them.

You might try introducing a third faction, or "civilians" who are caught between Faction 1 and Faction 2, who can explain the current status quo and warn your party about what could happen if either faction gains a clear advantage. The players might be able to head off Faction 2 attacking their home base by teaming up with Faction 1.

I hope any of that was helpful.

Mystify
2012-03-06, 11:46 PM
your faction could have the other enemies as prisoner, which the players run across.

Bagelson
2012-03-07, 10:18 AM
It's a sandbox campaign, so the players should drive the campaign as long as they have can make informed decisions. Just make sure to inform them of what's going on.

Are the players well known in the area? Faction 2 is planning an attack on Faction 1. Cowardly deserters from Faction 1 seek out the players for protection.
Are there other people around in the wilderness? Hunting tribes or logging camps? An old salt merchant comes across the players to trade with them. He mentions that travel has been so much more difficult recently, what with the hostilities between Faction 1 and Faction 2.
They've already been fighting Faction 1? Faction 1 sends a delegation to discuss a truce. Some skilled diplomancy allows the players to drag the current situation out of them.
The players have a growing reputation for their power? Faction 1 and/or Faction 2 send delegations to recruit them. They always need more skilled soldiers.

hewhosaysfish
2012-03-07, 10:35 AM
You said that the current enemies are not literate but how smart are they?
Could they try to engineer a conflict between their old enemies (the second faction) and their new enemies (the PCs)? Some sort of frame-up, false flag op or similar?

bokodasu
2012-03-07, 10:46 AM
It's a sandbox campaign, so the players should drive the campaign as long as they have can make informed decisions. Just make sure to inform them of what's going on.

Are there other people around in the wilderness? Hunting tribes or logging camps? An old salt merchant comes across the players to trade with them. He mentions that travel has been so much more difficult recently, what with the hostilities between Faction 1 and Faction 2.

That's it, in a nutshell - I don't want to lead them by the nose, but I don't want to look like I'm hiding opportunities/challenges from them either.

I think that option is a winner - there aren't many people around, but the ones who are are mostly wizened badasses, so that will work nicely. ("Wait, you've been killing the Y's? Don't you know they're the only thing holding off the X's?" Muah ha ha ha.)

You said that the current enemies are not literate but how smart are they?
Could they try to engineer a conflict between their old enemies (the second faction) and their new enemies (the PCs)? Some sort of frame-up, false flag op or similar?

They are pretty dumb, but sneaky. I like this idea too. I think I'll throw both in a blender and see what happens.

Thanks!