PDA

View Full Version : The Direct Damage Domain (3.5 Cleric Domain, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-06, 02:37 PM
The Direct Damage Domain

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af50/Firesnake38/Drawing%20Ideas/Frieza.jpg
He's a cleric of taking over the freaking universe.

Granted Power: Whenever you cast a spell from the Direct Damage domain, you increase the damage dealt by +1 per die (so if you cast death beam and dealt 4d6 damage, you would instead deal 4d6+4 damage).

Spells:
1st: Die Die Missiles- You fire a barrage of negative energy blasts.
2nd: Death Beam- You fire an attack aimed right for the heart.
3rd: Death Wave- You unleash a furious shockwave of negative energy.
4th: Death Storm- An explosion of negative energy.
5th: Cone of Death- You release a cone of destructive force.
6th: Chain of Death- You deliver a powerful blast of negative energy to a single target, which jumps to all of its allies.
7th: Death Saucer- You fire off two deadly sharp blades which slice your opponent in half.
8th: Full-Powered Death Beam- You strike with such deadly power that even a creature's natural resistances are worthless against it.
9th: Death Ball- You form a powerful orb of negative energy over your head, enough to destroy the entire planet.

Spell Descriptions

Die Die Missiles
Evocation
Level: Direct Damage 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

A missile of negative energy darts forth from your fingertip and strikes its target, dealing 1d4+1 points of negative energy damage. A creature who is healed by negative energy damage is instead healed 1d4+1 points of damage.

The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell.

For every two caster levels beyond 1st, you gain an additional missile—two at 3rd level, three at 5th, four at 7th, and the maximum of five missiles at 9th level or higher. If you shoot multiple missiles, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures. A single missile can strike only one creature. You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage.

Death Beam
Evocation
Level: Direct Damage 2
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One or more rays

You blast your enemies with a powerful beam aimed right for the heart. You may fire one ray, plus one additional ray for every four levels beyond 3rd (to a maximum of three rays at 11th level). Each ray requires a ranged touch attack to hit and deals 4d6 points of negative energy damage. A creature healed by negative energy damage instead recovers 4d6 hit points.

The rays may be fired at the same or different targets, but all beams must be aimed at targets within 30 feet of each other and fired simultaneously.

Death Wave
Evocation
Level: Direct Damage 3
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line
Saving Throw: Will Half

With one powerful slashing motion from your arm, you release a powerful shockwave of death that deals 1d6 points of negative energy damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to each creature within its area. Creatures healed by negative energy instead recover 1d6 hit points per caster level (maximum 10d6). The attack begins at your fingertips.

Death Storm
Evocation
Level: Direct Damage 4
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread

You raise your fist and from below the area you designate, a powerful burst of death erupts forth and deals 1d6 points of negative energy damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to every creature within the area. Creatures healed by negative energy instead recover 1d6 hit points per caster level (maximum 10d6). Unattended objects also take this damage. The explosion creates almost no pressure.

You point your finger and determine the range (distance and height) at which the death wave is to burst. A glowing, pea-sized bead streaks from the pointing digit and, unless it impacts upon a material body or solid barrier prior to attaining the prescribed range, blossoms into the death wave at that point. (An early impact results in an early detonation.) If you attempt to send the bead through a narrow passage, such as through an arrow slit, you must “hit” the opening with a ranged touch attack, or else the bead strikes the barrier and detonates prematurely.

Cone of Death
Evocation
Level: Direct Damage 5
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst

Cone of death creates a cloud of decay, originating at your hand and extending outward in a cone. It drains life force, dealing 1d6 points of negative energy damage per caster level (maximum 15d6). Creatures healed by negative energy instead recover 1d6 hit points per caster level (maximum 15d6). The cloud immediately evaporates after this damage is dealt.

Chain of Death
Evocation
Level: Direct Damage 6
Targets: One primary target, plus one secondary target/level (each of which must be within 30 ft. of the primary target)

This spell creates a barrage of death that begins as a single stroke commencing from your fingertips.

The blast deals 1d6 points of negative energy damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) to the primary target. After it strikes, the destruction can arc to a number of secondary targets equal to your caster level (maximum 20). The secondary bolts each strike one target and deal half as much damage as the primary one did (rounded down). Creatures who are healed by negative energy instead recover a number of hit points equal to the damage they would have taken.

Each target can attempt a Will saving throw for half damage. You choose secondary targets as you like, but they must all be within 30 feet of the primary target, and no target can be struck more than once. You can choose to affect fewer secondary targets than the maximum.

Death Saucers
Evocation
Level: Direct Damage 7
Targets: One living creature
Saving Throw: Reflex Partial, Will Half

You create two powerful destructive blades of negative energy and hurl them at your target. You must succeed on two separate ranged attacks to hit with each blade (unlike most spells, this spell does not ignore the target's armor or natural armor bonus to its AC). If you hit with both blades, the creature must make a Reflex saving throw or be decapitated, as if you had rolled a natural 20 on the creature with a vorpal weapon.

Each blade deals 1d6 points of negative energy damage per caster level (max 15d6 per blade). The creature is allowed a Will saving throw for half damage. Creatures that are normally healed by negative energy are instead immune to the effects of this spell (including the decapitation effect).

Full-Powered Death Beam
Evocation
Level: Direct Damage 8
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Spell Resistance: No

With deadly accuracy and a cruel smile you point your finger right at the creature's most vital organ. The beam from your finger is too fast for the eye to see, and the creature you targeted drops to the ground, lifeless. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to deal damage to a target. The ray deals 3d6 points of negative energy damage per caster level (maximum 75d6). A creature that is healed by negative energy damage instead recovers 3d6 hit points per caster level (maximum 75d6).

Death Ball
Evocation
Level: Direct Damage 9
Area: 100-ft.-radius spread
Saving Throw: See text

You create a huge ball of destructive force and launch it towards an area. This massive blast drains life from all creatures in the area and causes a massive explosion that rends the earth itself.

All terrain in the area of effect becomes difficult terrain. This is a true change to the environment and has no duration, nor can it be dispelled, though it can be magically repaired with an appropriate spell, such as stone shape.

All creatures and objects within the area of effect take 20 points of negative energy damage per caster level. A successful Will save reduces this damage to 10 points of negative energy per caster level. Creatures normally healed by negative energy damage instead recover 20 hit points per caster level. Each creature in the area must also make a Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round, a Reflex save or be knocked prone, and a Will save or become panicked for 1 minute.

Knight13
2012-03-06, 02:50 PM
So, negative energy versions of classic blaster spells and a few things from Frieza?

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-06, 03:02 PM
So, negative energy versions of classic blaster spells and a few things from Frieza?

Yes. I think it's elegant in its simplicity. Do you like it?

Edit: They do target Will over Reflex though. That will probably have impact on how they run at tables (High Will saves are more common amongst monsters, ignores Evasion but allows Mettle).

boomwolf
2012-03-06, 03:13 PM
why?

How does THIS has anything in it screaming "death" any more then random evocations spells?

Sorry man, but i see it as nothing of use.

Steward
2012-03-06, 03:16 PM
The death part comes from the fact that all of the spells utilize negative energy, which in D & D cosmology is heavily-linked with death and the undead. Most other evocations tend to rely on force or elemental damage.

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-06, 03:20 PM
why?

How does THIS has anything in it screaming "death" any more then random evocations spells?

Sorry man, but i see it as nothing of use.

The granted power doesn't seem useful to you? And anyway, negative energy doesn't get enough spells in 3.5. Very few ranged spells, and their damage is often pretty low, except for harm, which jumps to the front of the DD pack. In any case, negative energy damage is the least often resisted type of damage besides force and sonic, so having versions of classic spells that deal the same amount of damage but ignore fire/electricity/cold/acid resistance/immunity, as well as evasion, seems perfectly useful to me.

Besides, you seem to be forgetting the fact that clerics don't get any of the classic evocation spells you're comparing this domain to. Even if you take a domain to get some blasting, chances are you'll only get a few blasting spells and a few utility spells (Storm Domain is a good example of this). So this is a domain for a cleric who wants to be able to dish out some decent damage.

Madara
2012-03-06, 05:11 PM
Its a good rework, not like you could fail though, its one of the worst domains. You succeed in adding some nice spells in an area that they are need. Now to add them as an Archevist...mwahaha!:smallamused:

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-06, 11:04 PM
Its a good rework, not like you could fail though, its one of the worst domains. You succeed in adding some nice spells in an area that they are need. Now to add them as an Archevist...mwahaha!:smallamused:

Thank you very much.

Madara
2012-03-06, 11:08 PM
Death Wave
Evocation
Level: Death 3
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line

With one powerful slashing motion from your arm, you release a powerful shockwave of death that deals 1d6 points of negative energy damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to each creature within its area. Creatures healed by negative energy instead recover 1d6 hit points per caster level (maximum 10d6). The attack begins at your fingertips.

If its a "Death Wave" why is its area a 120ft. line? Doesn't really fit "shockwave"

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-06, 11:25 PM
If its a "Death Wave" why is its area a 120ft. line? Doesn't really fit "shockwave"

It's a thin blast of force, similar to Ichigo Kurosaki's Getsuga Tenshou (Bleach) or Jin's Artic Daggers (BlazBlue). Really, I can't describe it in words, you'll just have to look one of those up to see what I mean, but "shockwave" is the best word for it.

bobthe6th
2012-03-07, 12:10 AM
wait... a death domain without a real SoD?(death saucer technically... after 2 attack rolls...)

and why is polar ray still left to suck? death saucer doubles it's damage output and adds a rend insta gib. really? why?

death ball... not seeing it. death is not known for explosions, and this just kills the flavor... with an axe. seriously, death affects not badly white washed blasting. more life force destruction, less explosions...

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-07, 12:15 AM
wait... a death domain without a real SoD?(death saucer technically... after 2 attack rolls...)

Clerics get enough SoDs. And really, who wants a domain full of SoDs? The only difference between them is the level-base for the saving throw. They're boring and repetitive. I don't homebrew SoDs. There's no point.

and why is polar ray still left to suck? death saucer doubles it's damage output and adds a rend insta gib. really? why?

Full-Powered Death Beam is the only spell on the list that ignores spell resistance. Death Saucer does indeed deal double the damage, but only if you succeed on two ranged attack rolls, which require hitting a target's full AC. Not exactly easy to do, clerics aren't known for their high Dexterity scores. (If you want to burn a feat on Zen Archery for this, go right ahead).

death ball... not seeing it. death is not known for explosions, and this just kills the flavor... with an axe. seriously, death affects not badly white washed blasting. more life force destruction, less explosions...

Again, why would I do that? 9th level cleric SoD=Implosion. Nothing I come up with will be better than that spell. So what's the point?

bobthe6th
2012-03-07, 12:31 AM
Clerics get enough SoDs. And really, who wants a domain full of SoDs? The only difference between them is the level-base for the saving throw. They're boring and repetitive. I don't homebrew SoDs. There's no point.

so you change the energy type of blasting spells? sorry, its just... you tend to do better then that. something awesome out of left field, that causes me to reconsider my thoughts on homebrew, or a system. like negative levels that make sense, or curses, or something... but fire ball a level higher and made out of negative energy... uninspiring.

Full-Powered Death Beam is the only spell on the list that ignores spell resistance. Death Saucer does indeed deal double the damage, but only if you succeed on two ranged attack rolls, which require hitting a target's full AC. Not exactly easy to do, clerics aren't known for their high Dexterity scores. (If you want to burn a feat on Zen Archery for this, go right ahead).

um... you mean the class able to(buffed) out fight a fighter? but I did miss the normal attack clause... but still, 1d6 level is uninspiring for a slot you could use for fire storm(1d6 level, area, ref save and SR...), earthquake(Sod in an area with concentration saves required), symbol of death, twined enervating death beam even ... and so on. polar ray was a sad 8th level spell, it need not go on sucking.

Again, why would I do that? 9th level cleric SoD=Implosion. Nothing I come up with will be better than that spell. So what's the point?

to at least feal near flavor. just reflavoring implosion would be fine, or a better circle of death. just "the ephemeral powers of death, able to slay silently, cause.... explosions?"

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-07, 12:32 AM
Alright, rather than argue about this, I'll just change the name of the domain. Unfortunately, nothing else comes to mind, so for now, it shall be the As-Of-Yet Untitled Domain. If anyone has any suggestions for a name, please let me know.

bobthe6th
2012-03-07, 12:33 AM
the negative domain? matches the response type and the spells flavor...

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-07, 12:34 AM
the negative domain? matches the response type and the spells flavor...

Already have one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12287685).

bobthe6th
2012-03-07, 12:39 AM
doom domain? murder domain? pain domain? leach domain?

ok, to be fair, most of this is good. the only things I would suggest changing are carrie overs from the original spells.

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-07, 12:46 AM
doom domain? murder domain? pain domain? leach domain?

Doom sounds like doom, which implies shaken, which implies fear effects. I'm tired of people ragging on me for perfectly good content that has a questionable name. (My assassin, my paladin, and now this) If I change the name I want unambiguous relation to the domain.

Murder is no better than Death. Pain implies spells that actually deal with pain like wrack. And leech implies life-stealing.

ok, to be fair, most of this is good. the only things I would suggest changing are carrie overs from the original spells.

To what, exactly? The problem I was trying to solve here: A) Negative Energy doesn't get enough variety with it spells. B) Clerics don't get enough blasting options.

Then I discovered my domain matched up pretty well with Frieza's attacks, so I named them all after his attacks. Presto. Perfect flavor. Happy Seraphi.

Why should I go through the trouble of inventing my own blasting spells, areas, and mechanics when WotC has already done it for me? Seems like a lot of work, but with no real gain (in the end, they're just going to be spells that deal negative energy damage in different AoEs).

Steward
2012-03-07, 02:26 AM
Wait, what's wrong with the name? As I said earlier, death and negative energy have a pretty long relationship in D & D cosmology. I mean, maybe you could come up with a better name (although I can't think of one apart from "negative energy" or "antilife" or something like that).

bobthe6th
2012-03-07, 06:56 AM
really, polar ray is bad. you might as well remove the th spell level.

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-07, 12:17 PM
really, polar ray is bad. you might as well remove the th spell level.

Alright, is it better now?

Sgt. Cookie
2012-03-07, 12:45 PM
How about "Blaster" domain? Apart from the negative energy, the spells pretty much do just that.

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-07, 01:06 PM
How about "Blaster" domain? Apart from the negative energy, the spells pretty much do just that.

Already got one of those, too (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12290117).

Sgt. Cookie
2012-03-07, 01:11 PM
"Negative energy combat" domain?

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-07, 01:19 PM
"Negative energy combat" domain?

Now that's just way too long of a name. :smallyuk:

Hmmm...The Destruction Domain? No...The Decay Domain? No...The Lich Domain? Nah...:smallconfused:

Pyromancer999
2012-03-07, 01:19 PM
Negativity Domain? Emo Domain? Doom Domain?

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-07, 01:22 PM
Negativity Domain? Emo Domain? Doom Domain?

All of those sound like mind-affecting emotion-based domains. The point of the domain is to just deal negative energy damage and kill targets, which is why it was originally called "Death".

Edit: Alright, changed it to the Direct Damage Domain, and changed the granted power from something Death-related to something DD related.

bobthe6th
2012-03-07, 01:44 PM
now that is a legitimate spell or knocking dragons out of the sky!

also, the granted ability looks abusable. first level cast maximized die die missle, fifteenth level cast maximized twined split rayed full power death ray, 360 damage on a touch attack... perhaps a damage bonus would be better, or even a lame +1 caster level(+1d6 for most spells...)

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-07, 01:49 PM
now that is a legitimate spell or knocking dragons out of the sky!

also, the granted ability looks abusable. first level cast maximized die die missle, fifteenth level cast maximized twined split rayed full power death ray, 360 damage on a touch attack... perhaps a damage bonus would be better, or even a lame +1 caster level(+1d6 for most spells...)

No, no, you only get 1 metamagic feat per spell. The increase in daily uses means you can apply another feat for free to a different spell (So like, four different maximized spells, not one maximized empowered split twinned spell.

bobthe6th
2012-03-07, 09:16 PM
still... 13 level spells are posible. I would sugest a flat +1 per damage die to DD domain spells, or even a flat +1 caster level(1d6 is nice....)

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-07, 09:59 PM
Alright then, changed to +1 per die.