PDA

View Full Version : Blackwing addressing V by name

dtilque
2012-03-06, 03:27 PM
In strip #843, Blackwing addresses Vaarsuvius by his name. I can't recall him ever doing that before. Of course, for a long time, he rarely talked to V at all, so perhaps it's not remarkable that he's never actually used the name. At any rate, is my memory correct? Has he really never used V's name before?

ThePhantasm
2012-03-06, 04:12 PM
Please don't interpret this as harsh, but why does it matter?

Also, see here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0799.html).

cloudland
2012-03-06, 05:17 PM
I thought this should be obvious, but what else can Blackwing use? Normally when people try to call someone, they either use relationship term or name, because "You!" hardly seems appropriate. However, close people rarely use the name of each other, it's something like "comrade" or "buddy" or "you". Blackwing never respect V as a master, that's why relationship term "Master!" or "Mistress!" is hardly appropriate (beside, it kinda give away the gender). So that's why normally Blackwing don't use V's name, but when it try to call V it use the name.

Sutremaine
2012-03-06, 10:04 PM
It's just a coincidence. Blackwing is usually right next to V whenever he gets lines, so he doesn't need to use V's name for her to know she's talking to him.

dtilque
2012-03-06, 10:57 PM
It's just a coincidence. Blackwing is usually right next to V whenever he gets lines, so he doesn't need to use V's name for her to know she's talking to him.

Good point. I thought it might be some kind of residual distain of Blackwing for V, but I guess not.

Goosefarble
2012-03-06, 10:57 PM
Precisely. Blackwing doesn't say Vaarsuvius very often because, more often than not, he's talking directly to Vaarsuvius. In the same way people don't usually turn to me and go "Hey, Alex, what are we going to do next?" When he has said V's name, he's either calling after hir, or it's one of the rare times when he's talking to someone else (such as Qarr).

Belkster11
2012-03-07, 06:16 AM
Good point. I thought it might be some kind of residual distain of Blackwing for V, but I guess not.

Or it could be just him yelling at V to stop.

Shouting "You! Stop!" sounds like something you'd say to a servant, not to a friend in the middle of a mental and emotional breakdown. He's trying to get V's attention, so he's yelling at him/her by name (while being gender neutral while he's at it.)

All the other times, he's been perched on V's shoulder, so he wouldn't have to call out V's name to talk to him/her, just reach up to his/her ear and start talking.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-07, 12:32 PM
Two things:

-How often do you every address someone by their name when speaking to them in the second person unless at the start of a conversation like "Hi so-and-so"? Really not that often right? It sound kind of odd to call them by their name every (other) sentence, am I right?

-How long has Blackwing been talking to V so far?