PDA

View Full Version : Feed me ideas for a druid mini-adventure

JFahy
2012-03-06, 05:27 PM
Hello,

So the druid in my Pathfinder group missed a session and is behind on XP; he's just made level 4. I'd like to run a little solo adventure for him that will...

* Get him about something like 1/3 of a level worth of XP, and
* Be a bit of a celebration of his newly-acquired Wildshape.

I'm considering something where he drinks some druidic doohickey and for the next 2-24 hours he can Wildshape pretty much at will. What are some cool things, either fights or puzzles, I could throw at him that he could beat with Wildshape?

I was toying with having another druid, same ability, competing with him over some kind of scavenger hunt or obstacle course, but you folks probably have cooler ideas than that.

Cheers!
:smallwink:

Man on Fire
2012-03-06, 05:41 PM
Tell me more about druid's personality, if you can.

EDIT: quick idea from top of my head - have him take care of appertnice - level 1 kid druid he has to teach his stuff and protect from dangers for some time, then give him XPs for that, how good teacher he was and for roleplaying.

Lord Vampyre
2012-03-06, 07:14 PM
You should have him race a NE druid to some sort of mini-druidic mcGuffin. Various obstacles could be a cliff that they need to climb/fly up, a hole they need to shrink to fit in, ect.

The climax could be the 2 druids dueling wildshape, where they each change into something to out do the other, similar to the duel between Merlin and Mad Madam Mim in the Sword and the Stone. Obviously, the potion would have to do more than just let them wildshape for the next 24 hrs, it would also have to let them wildshape tiny to large as well.

JFahy
2012-03-06, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.

MoF: Another reason I'm trying this is that this player's kind of quiet, and plays a quiet character, and I'm trying to give him a little spotlight time - in other words, it's terrible how little I know about his personality. He's careful and diplomatic, he was burned in a fire when he was little and has nasty facial scars, he has an affinity for rats.

(And yes, I've considered that some people just don't like spotlight. I'm kind of like that myself. If he's squirming in discomfort, I'll wind this down quickly and I will have learned something...)

I do like the understudy idea - like it a lot, actually - but I'm not sure it has the one-off quality I'm after here, unless the initial quest introduces the newbie somehow. (I'll have to ponder that. I'm not quick at tying together story elements.)

LV: That sounds kind of like what I was thinking - burrow under this, jump over that, swim down to the other thing...the environments would have to be such that they can't just fly over the whole works.

Good point about the size restrictions - maybe "Wildshapes like a level __ druid" is more like what I'm after. (And I was actually thinking about the Sword in the Stone fight...that ends with her swallowing Merlin, right? And then he turns into a germ that gives her some ridiculously horrifying disease?)

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-07, 12:48 AM
That Sword in the Stone fight is actually each of them casting Shapechange once, at the beginning of the fight, and then changing forms via Shapechange for the rest of the fight. And I think Mim uses invisibility once or something.

Randomguy
2012-03-07, 01:27 AM
You could have the high rankings members of the druid society ask her to do a mission.

Maybe it could involve finding out who polluted the a river that passes through from a town to the forest? There could be a sewer adventure, which is great for a good mix of land and water encounters, to try out wildshape and to make some use out of vermin affinity.

The source of the pollution could be a kuo tua (pick the evil aquatic race of your choice) necromancer that's animating corpses in his underwater layer, and the zombies are polluting the river. Or something.