PDA

View Full Version : How to kill people by standing next to them

Zarion
2012-03-06, 07:24 PM
CHAKRA POOL
The Chakra Pool of a character essentially represents much energy it can expend on techniques or supernatural abilities before running out, and is represented by a set number that grows as the character advances in level, gains new abilities or ability score increase. A character has a reserve of chakra to supplement his chakra pool called simply the Chakra Reserve.
The Chakra Control skill is crucial for any character that wishes to tap into that reserve and make the most of his abilities.
Chakra Pool: A mix of mental and physical energy within the body forms Chakra. A character's chakra pool contains (Int + Dex + 10) per level chakra, doubled at first level. This amount grows due to an increase in either stat, even temporary boosts. A character whose Charisma score is high enough, gains a certain amount of bonus chakra depending on his Charisma score.
Your Charisma score grants you bonus chakra equal to your Cha modifier × your character level or hit dice. A Charisma modifier of 0 or less, results in no bonus chakra.

SKILLS
Chakra Control (Wis)
This skill can be used to perform Chakra Control techniques, activate enhancement seals or other items. It can also be used to tap into the character's chakra reserve or conceal the chakra cost of a technique.
Chakra Presence (continuous): All creatures within 10 ft. + 5 ft./5 levels(?), for every 5 ft. beyond this the save DC decreases by 1(?), must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1 per 50 chakra)(?) every round or suffer an effect based on the DC failed.
The character can make a control check against a DC 10 plus the given modifier to prevent that effect. The character need only counter the highest penalty.
An effect can be weakened by modifying the DC with the modifier of the current effect minus the modifier of the desired effect.
Specific creatures can be exempt from these effects with a control check (DC 5 + the creatures HD).(?)
Ex. The caster wants to suffocate someone, but nothing else. He has enough chakra that the save DC will be 102. So to suffocate them, he has to make a control check against DC 69, (10 (base) + 7 (frightened) + 7 (speed penalty) + 7 (check penalty) + 7 (damage) + 6 (physical penalty) + 6 (flat-footed) + 5 (mental penalty) + 5 (AC penalty) +4 (shaken) + 3 (stunned) + 2 (prone) = 69). He doesn’t need to counter the falling damage because they are on the ground.
{table]Fortitude DC|Penalty for Failure|DC modifier
1-9|-2 checks|+1
10-14|-5 ft. speed, falling damage x1|+1
15-19|1d12 damage, -2 AC, -2 mental|+1
20-24|-5 checks, prone|+2
25-29|-10 ft. speed, 2d12 damage|+2
30-34|-2 physical, falling damage x1.5|+2
35-39|-10 checks, 3d12 damage|+3
40-44|-15 ft. speed, stunned|+3
45-49|4d12 damage, -5 AC, -5 mental|+3
50-54|-15 checks, falling damage x2|+4
55-59|-20 ft. speed, 5d12 damage|+4
60-64|-5 physical, shaken|+4
65-69|-20 checks, 6d12 damage|+5
70-74|-25 ft. speed, falling damage x3|+5
75-79|7d12 damage, -10 AC, -10 mental|+5
80-84|-25 checks, flat-footed|+6
85-89|-30 ft. speed, 8d12 damage|+6
90-94|-10 physical, falling damage x4|+6
95-99|-30 checks, 9d12 damage|+7
100-104|-35 ft. speed, frightened, suffocation|+7
105-109|10d12 damage, -15 AC, -15 mental|+7
110-114|-35 checks, falling damage x5|+8
115-119|-40 ft. speed, 11d12 damage|+8
120-124|-15 physical, sickened|+8
125-129|-40 checks, 12d12 damage|+9
130-134|-45 ft. speed, falling damage x6|+9
135-139|13d12 damage, -20 AC, -20 mental|+9
140-144|-45 checks, panicked|+10
145-149|-50 ft. speed, 14d12 damage|+10
150-154|-20 physical, falling damage x7|+10
155-159|-50 checks, 15d12 damage|+11
160-164|-55 ft. speed, nauseated|+11
165-169|16d12 damage, -25 AC, -25 mental|+11
170-174|-55 checks, falling damage x8|+12
175-179|-60 ft. speed, 17d12 damage|+12
180-184|-25 physical, cowering|+12
185-189|-60 checks, 18d12 damage|+13
190-194|-65 ft. speed, falling damage x9|+13
195-199|19d12 damage, -30 AC, -30 mental|+13[/table]
Check Penalty: The creature suffers a penalty to all attack rolls, skill and ability checks equal to the given value.
Speed Reduction: This reduces the opponents’ speed by the given amount. This applies to all movement speeds, but does not count against a fly speed for determining its DC modifier (see falling damage).
Falling Damage: All flying creatures must make a Strength check against one-quarter of the DC or fall out of the sky and take falling damage, this damage is multiplied by the given amount. The creatures’ ability to fly modifies the DC.
{table]Ability|DC modifier
Fly Speed|-1 per 5 ft.
Clumsy|-1
Poor|-2
Average|-3
Good|-4
Perfect|-5[/table]
Damage: The creature is receives the given damage every round they remain within area, this counts as force and bludgeoning damage for determining its effect on damage reduction.
AC Penalty: The creature receives a penalty to their Armor class equal to the given amount, this effects all AC values, including touch and flat-footed.
Mental Penalty: This is a penalty to the creatures’ mental ability scores (Int, Wis, and Cha) equal to the given amount.
[B]Physical Penalty: This is a penalty to the creatures’ physical ability scores (Str, Dex, and Con) equal to the given amount.

How is this, should I change it?
I need to do decide on if the DC should be set the way it is or something different, I also need to work on the range and some other rules.
Should I make it a result of the DC itself, or how much they fail the DC by?
Is the system for excluding effects and people okay or not?
Any suggestions about the penalties?
Is this balanced, and if not how can I make it balanced?

PLEASE REPLY

The Mentalist
2012-03-06, 09:17 PM
1. How does Chakra recharge? (This is very important)
2. This seems to be a constant aura...ummm mid level characters are going to never be able to walk into town again (I see you have an exemption mechanic but I can't really make sense of it.)
3. Is that massive table of DCs the Skill check you have to make to create the effect? How does that interact with the rest of the table. Does it effect everyone in your radius?
4. If this is designed for everyone I'd suggest different mods for the Chakra pool, as it is it's giving full casters (especially Wizards) a massive bonus to it. (Just what Wizards need, another thing to be better at)
5. What purpose is this supposed to serve?

These are the base questions, I will have more based on your answers to these.

Zarion
2012-03-07, 08:48 AM
1. How does Chakra recharge? (This is very important)

Chakra Recovery
Once a character experiences a loss of chakra, it recovers when resting in the same manner as it would hit points. A character's chakra pool is recovered fully after an evening of rest (approximately 8 hours).

2. This seems to be a constant aura...ummm mid level characters are going to never be able to walk into town again (I see you have an exemption mechanic but I can't really make sense of it.)

Chakra Control (Wis)
This skill can be used to perform Chakra Control techniques, activate enhancement seals or other items. It can also be used to tap into the character's chakra reserve or conceal the chakra cost of a technique.

It's a skill that allows you to fine tune your chakra, but besides that a mid level character may never be able to use any of the higher effects.
I'm also designing a way for characters to suppress their chakra, but I don't know if I will or not.

3. Is that massive table of DCs the Skill check you have to make to create the effect? How does that interact with the rest of the table. Does it effect everyone in your radius?

No they are the DC's that enemies must make a Fortitude save against, so the stronger you are the higher the DC of the Fort save is, and the greater the penalty if they fail.

4. If this is designed for everyone I'd suggest different mods for the Chakra pool, as it is it's giving full casters (especially Wizards) a massive bonus to it. (Just what Wizards need, another thing to be better at)

You could use a variant system using different ability stats, like replacing Dexterity with Strength or Constitution, and Intelligence with Wisdom or Charisma, and the same for Charisma. The idea is that chakra is a mix of physical and mental energies, and the high Charisma just acts as a bonus.

5. What purpose is this supposed to serve?

I just had the idea that when characters are really powerful, that other should be able to feel it, that there should actually be a tangible effect.

Do you have any ideas about setting the DC, I put an idea in, but I don't know if that is what I will actually end up using?
Do you have any other responses to my other questions, especially about wheter or not the penalties are balanced.