PDA

View Full Version : Avernum setting for D&D, racial traits for Nephils, Nephar, and Sliths?

Darklady2831
2012-03-06, 08:06 PM
So, I'm planning on starting a new campaign of D&D 3.5 with some friends, and I've decided to set the game in the Avernum world described in Jeff Vogel's Avernum series.

I've got most of the details ironed out. the campaign will take place before the first game, and focus on the development of the fledgling kingdom of Avernum.

I need help, however, designing some traits for the Nephils, Nephar, and Sliths.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the setting. Nephilim are Cat people who are skilled with Bows, nimble and quick. Nepharim are a sub-breed of the Nephilim that are born bigger, stronger and Sterile. Slithzerikai are lizard people who are proficient with Polearms, love the heat, are resistant to fire, and hate the cold.

I'm also trying to design several artifacts that were used by the "First Expedition" to Avernum and lost by them (They all died).
There's, the "Blessed Athame" which was a blessed knife that was super sharp and super durable, able to cut almost anything (Even the Tiny Bottle-Prison of a Demon-King of Hell). The "Orb of Thralni" which was a magical orb that allowed its weilder and his companions to fly. "Demonslayer" was a greatsword that was so heavily enchanted to fight demons, that it could slay them in only a few blows. The "Onyx Scepter" was a rod of black crystal that amplified its weilders' magical abilities, and was so powerful that Portals that were in it's presence were much much much more stable.

Wyntonian
2012-03-06, 08:20 PM
This is a cool idea, even without knowing the setting. However, I'd suggest you continue it on the Homebrew board, as you're proposing creating new stuff. You might get some better replies there. I'd certainly be willing to give you a hand.

Darklady2831
2012-03-06, 09:53 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12852322#post12852322

I've started a thread in the World Building section of the Homebrew Forum.

Grinner
2012-03-06, 09:58 PM
YES!

Let's see. You could probably rip the catfolk stats for the Nephilim, and the Sliths could be covered by the lizardfolk. You might need to juggle some stuff around, for I don't think lizardfolk have fire resistance.

Don't remember who the Nephar were though....

OT: A Geneforge setting might be kind of cool too. Just file that thought away for the future. :smallsmile:

oldkingkoal
2012-03-07, 12:13 AM
Oh man, that sounds awesome. Ive always loved the world they build with those games. Didn't have the best of graphics but there was just something about those games that really engaged you into the world. So why cant you just use the stat bonuses from the game?